*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1561639-Galaxy-Crystal--Chpt-1112
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Cathy
Rated: 13+ · Other · Fantasy · #1561639
11 Journey begins 12 Drake leaves, Sara and Jalee, and Jasolin's brother
Galaxy Crystal: A Forgotten Life
by Catherine Framke

Chapter 11

Sara went straight to the room she had been in before; she did not say anything to them. She couldn’t even think straight at this point. All she knew was that something horrible was going on and no one was telling her anything. She had come to Sar to learn the truth, all she has gotten was the run around, and now she has to go and rescue her friends and she doesn’t know if she can do it.

Yet deep down in her heart she knew the answer to all of her questions, it was the fact that she was there. There could be no way that she was the next High Protector, meeting Vacunay proved that to her. Anyone that evil would have triggered some kind of memory within her. Then there was the way she talked to her, telling her that they were alike. “Made from the same stuff” was her exact words, but Vacunay was evil, and Sara was born on Earth, or so she thought.

Sara has heard a lot about High Protector Violette. There was something bothering her for a while now, where is Violette’s husband. From what she has been told Violette was a very important person that had a big job of protecting the Galaxy. Surely, an important woman like that would not have had a child without a husband. If she was Saraquine then where was her father, he must care for a little bit.

The point wasn’t whether High Protector Violette had ever been married, she was nothing like Vacunay it wasn’t possible. She was a human child raised on a human planet with human parents, Vacunay was something else, and she could feel it deep within her bones. There was evil surrounding her aura. Sara could see all the people that she killed were reflecting in her eyes. There had been no doubt before Sara first met Vacunay and there was no doubt now that she was definitely evil, something not from these planets. How could it be possible to kill something that is not only not human, but not from this Galaxy?

Only some powerful magic could conceive something that evil, magic that Sara hoped she might never see in her lifetime. Still she knew that she would have to face Vacunay and this time fight. That power Vacunay held somewhere in her old body would come out and try to kill her. Sara could do nothing about it. The old witch will kill her one way or another. Unless she could remember, a life she never lived.

Suddenly she saw Jalee staring at Vacunay the way the anger built up within his eyes; she could see it as if it were her own anger. There is history there, another secret that needed to be uncovered before she got to the old witch’s castle in two weeks, actually less then two weeks. Still the old witch looked at Jalee as if she wanted him dead as much as she wanted Sara dead, if not more. There had to be an explanation that she was not getting.

Then there was the way Jalee would not answer her about how he knew her. That man was different from Drake, he did not watch over her. There was something bigger at play then any of them will tell her and if she has to poke and pry to get it out of all of them, she would one way or another. She will understand what is going on behind all of their secretive eyes. She swore to herself that she would know the truth of this war.

She did not know how long she was just sitting in the room before the knock came at the door. She could feel that it was not going to be a good visit from someone she knew or did not know. This was going to be sad and it was going to be an everything would be okay speech from one of the men, probably Drake. He seemed to worry about what is going on in her head a lot, but she did not care. He would not tell her what was going on anymore then any of the people that would tell her the truth.

“I don’t want to talk right now.” She said as she pulled her knees up to her chest and held them tight to her. The knock came once again it was very soft, almost feminine in its touch. “Listen I told you I need to think things through just leave me alone, I’ll come down when I’m ready.”

The door slipped open and Sara was getting ready to start yelling at the man who thinks they can just walk into a girl’s room when she asked them to leave her alone. Then she saw them standing there, it was not any of the men, but she knew there could be no one else unfrozen. The two that stood in front of her were definitely not the two that risked their lives helping her with Vacunay. This was Lord and Lady Kovin, the same two that she saw from her dream when she placed the crystal over her head. They were standing before her almost glowing.

They both just walked to the bed and sat down, they were completely alone and their faces looked grim compared to hers. Sara was in shock, how were they not frozen like the others? What could make them any more special then anyone else? Lady Kovin gave her a small soft smile her child like face echoing her own worries it felt like she was going to cry just looking at her.

“Saraquine, I am so sorry that your friends were caught up in all of this. It is not their fault and I pray to the Goddess that they will be alright.” Lord Kovin looked at Lady Kovin as she talked and then at Sara and smiled a bright and unforgettable smile.

“There are some things in this world Saraquine that happen for a reason. We for example are sitting here talking to you the way we use to when we were children. You still look just like a frightened child and we are here trying to save you from not being afraid.” He ended as he grabbed his wife’s hand. Sara just sat there looking at them with a strange look on her face. Lord Kovin was not making any since, she was sure there was something wrong with him.

“What are you talking about?” Sara automatically sat up staring at the couple that sat next to her on the bed. “Forgive me Lady Kovin but this is ridiculous. I do not know you. I have never seen you before and most importantly, I am not a frightened child. I am thinking about what I must do to survive and save my friends. Anyway how the hell are you not frozen like everyone else?” Sara stared at them as they reached for their necklaces. Sara rolled her eyes and sighed, of course it would be about that.

“The same reason you are not frozen.” Sara understood at that moment that it was the crystals that each had that protect them. It had been that way since the beginning. It was protecting all of them from getting hurt by the war that was why it was given to her, so that Vacunay could not hurt her like the others. Lady Kovin reached for her hand and Sara just sat there looking into the woman’s green eyes. “These are heirlooms from our family, ancient and unknown to everyone. Please call me Panoka, and him Koona. After all we are all family in many ways, cousin.”

Sara sat there and thought about what Panoka was telling her. They were family, the only family she has ever known was the Millers and even then, she was only adopted. She never thought of any of them as family nor had anyone ever call her their cousin. It made her feel warm and comfortable in a way she never thought possible. Sara had come to Sar to find out the truth, but in the end, she had found a family. “I need to know what is going on around here. There are secrets being kept from me by everyone, and I need to find out the answers quickly.”

Both of them turned and looked at each other and sadly looked at her. “Saraquine…” Koona started but what he was going to say was not what she wanted to know. “We are being completely honest with you, we do not know anything. Back then, we only knew you as one of the family, we did not know how or why. Your identity was a secret even to me and we were supposed to be married.” Sara looked at him as if he was crazy. She would never get married because it was expected of her, but maybe that was why they did not. “When your mother died, Sinara gathered everyone together and told us that you were dead. You truly were High Protector Violette’s daughter and that we should never speak a word of it outside the group. We had no idea you were alive or that you had no idea who you were.”

“Ever since that day your mother died, we have all been surviving by luck.” Panoka picked up where Koona had left off. “Vacunay could have attacked and killed everyone because the Galaxy crystal was not working, but she didn’t and only Sinara knew why. She did not tell anyone that you were alive until she died. Then that was when Drake was sent to you to bring you back and save us from a very bad situation that we are in now. You see now that is all we know.” Sara shook her head as she looked away from them. Their eyes told her that they really did not know anything other then what they had just told her. They might tell something else her.

“There is something else that I need information on. The thing that Drake and Jalee hide from me, I can see it within their eyes, but no one will answer my questions. Who is Jalee, why is he involved in this? I know that Drake is my guard, but Jalee is just there and I feel as if I should know something about him that I can not figure out on my own.” Koona smiled at her and then at Panoka.

“We have no idea where he comes from or why he is here only that he came into the Glass City with the rest of them when the Grey Castle was attacked and the territory was lost to Vacunay.” Sara’s head bent down and she saw that they really did not know, and Drake and Jalee were the only two people alive that knew. Something told her they would not speak of it without force. She needed to know what was going on and she knew she would find out one way or another.


* * *


The old map did not seem to work as well as Drake had hoped, but it was the only map of the Dark Territory. Jalee and Drake planned the course, but it still seemed like the wrong thing to do, down the hill at the back of the castle through the paths and across the river into the dark territory, across the fields and through the terrible dark forest. There they would go around the old castle through the forest of the Elvin people, his people, then through the field and to the Dark castle. It will be a long journey and Saraquine will not be happy about not taking her to the old castle where she was born. However, Jalee is believed it would be safer if she did not know the truth about her past.

Jalee was wise when it comes to the Dark Territory and Drake trusted him, but he did not agree to what he was suggesting. It would be better if she did not remember what had happened. At the same time, it might be their only way to get everyone out of the castle without the old witch wanting to fight them. After all that is all that Vacunay wants is for Sara to remember her past. Then take away the one thing that kept her going through her years of seclusion, the one thing that he dare not speak or think about when she is near.

Saraquine was a very powerful Protector, one of the most powerful he has ever even heard about. In the beginning of their family, all blessed with the gifts of magic, stronger then any human that has ever existed, but Saraquine had been different. She did not only have one of the powers, but all of them. Her abilities grew faster and more precise then even her mother. He was of magic so she could not play all of her tricks on him when she was a child.

Nevertheless, as they get older the power dims and they no longer use it. At one time in the end Sara stopped using them all together, the purpose of the change still did not make any since to him. She was a very gifted child that could do amazing things when she chose, but she stopped using them and began to do everything to her own liking. He had taught her how to fight and defend herself, because that was what she wished. Drake had even taught her how to use the planet around her so that she could summon up the power she needed from the elements. Sara was not like any child within the Protectors family and that meant to him that she would do something so much more with her life. She would some how change the Galaxy forever.

He only saw one problem; she did not remember any of it. Not the teaching not him not even Jalee. Everything was a blank to her and if she gets her memories, back he fears that the life she lived now would be blank and she would not remember what it was like to be a normal human girl. When she was gone, she was aloud to experience life the way she was never aloud to on Sar. She was able to go through every step and have friends and both parents with her. At least in the end of that life she had friends.

Drake remembers how much she hated being locked up in the castle and how much she wished to just be free. Even when she would run off and hide on him she was, lonely she had no body. Her mother was always with the High Counsel preparing the next attack or just busy being the High Protector. While Sara sat in her room alone crying in her little tower since she was little. Sure, the High Protector would allow her to visit her and give her lessons, but that was maybe once a day when the High Protector could pull away from the High Counsel long enough to talk to Saraquine. It was not easy for the child and a part of Drake does not want her to remember, but she needs to know the truth or she will never be complete.

He watched as Jalee was putting the supplies that they had gathered up into the bags they would be carrying on their journey. Jalee was the one that had to tell her the truth; Drake knew it deep down in his heart. Drake has always loved Saraquine as a daughter, and would protect her, even if he were protecting her from her own heart. Jalee needed to tell her the truth before they reached the castle or they may never make it through the horrible ordeal. Jalee will be cruel to her, he can tell, but his heart will brake and when she learns the truth so will hers, and then the power of the crystal will fail once more. All because of what had happened all those years ago, all because she desired freedom over being the next High Protector.

“Drake stop thinking like that it isn’t nice.” Jalee turned and looked at Drake. He had forgotten that Jalee also had his own power of being able to hear people’s thoughts that were near him and about him. “It doesn’t matter if she remembers or not she’ll be able to summon the magic when she has to. It is who she is now and forever.”

“You know it is not nice to be able to read peoples thoughts when you should be working.” Jalee stood up and looked at him, and Drake did not flinch or even budge. Then Jalee laughed patting Drake on the shoulder.

“Well when you use my name when you’re thinking about her I automatically hear every little thought that goes through your mind. Unfortunately you were not all wrong about what you were thinking so I cannot argue with you as much as I like.” Jalee looked down at the bags and then at Drake. “We’re ready; at least you and I are it might take Sara a little longer to get there.”

“She’s the High Protector, Jalee and you have to remember to call her that, especially with the secret you carry with you. Whatever you do, do not look into her eyes and do not read her mind like me. That is how she can see everything in your mind and learn the truth. At least that was what she did when she was younger.” Jalee shook his head and Drake could only see sadness rippling through his face. He patted him on the shoulder and walked past him. He had a greater burden more then all of them.

As Drake entered into the hall from the conference room where they had agreed to meet when everyone was ready, both Lady and Lord Kovin were standing outside with Sara coming to the door. Sara had changed back into the clothes she had on before the ball and her hair pulled back as it had been when she was a child. He felt like he was looking into the past at the child he had protected and would protect even now.

“Drake she is ready to do what she must.” Lord Kovin said to him, as he looked at the fragile young girl still was. Drake nodded his head and opened the door for all of them to go in. Jalee was putting the bags they would carry on the table and he barely even acknowledged any of their presence. “Drake I need to talk to you before we head in and get ready to go.”

Drake led Lord Kovin into different room only doors away where they could talk in private about what he wished to talk to him about. It was strange to him that Lord Kovin would want to talk to him. He already knew that Drake would give up his life for Sara, but there had been worry in his eyes when he asked to talk to him so he went anyway.

“Drake I am worried that Sara is asking too many questions. I understand that we all agreed that it would be better if she did not remember about anything, not that I actually know what has happened. You have to be wary about what you say to her and the way all of you act around her. Especially if she is to go back to Earth to live out a normal life that we have all agreed would be best for her.” Drake sat down on a chair, as did Lord Kovin as he began to talk.

“The Secrets that are hidden from her would be best to stay hidden. I saw how happy she was on Earth and how sad it was for her when she was here. I am afraid that she will remember and never have that happiness back. When she was Saraquine, you saw how sad and unhappy her life was. The only people she knew were adults, you, and Saroo-Kinay. She did not care for either of you because that was what her mother wanted. I can still see the innocents inside her and that should be enough for her to call upon the crystal if she wished to.” Lord Kovin nodded his head and thought for only a minute after Drake stopped.

“I want you to let her remember.” Drake began to protest, but then Lord Kovin stopped him before he could. “I can see a need in her heart to know what is going on. She needs to remember that her mother did love her and that those that knew her loved her as well. If she does not feel the love of the people around her she will never be able to get the crystal to activate again.” Lord Kovin looked away for a moment. “She has to release the pain to allow the memories and the love to come back to her. It is the only way we can save everyone.”

“I understand. I will not be a part of it though. I will go to my family’s house and allow Jalee and Sara to go on without me. I will not be the one to tell her what happened and Jalee is the only one that I trust to be able to let her remember what did happen all those years ago. He will protect her with his life I know he would.” Drake looked away and closed his eyes tightly. “May the Goddess forgive me for what I must do!”

* * *

The white horse jumped and tried pushing the Gate door open with her nose, as Sara walked into the stables. She knew it was that horse because of the banging on the door and its head coming over and peaking at her. Sara had never ridden a horse in her life, but the men told her that it would be the fastest way to get to the Dark castle. Luckily, they let her put her jeans and tank top back on, even if she still had to ware a cloak. There had been no way she would ware a dress and be on a horse, she was nervous enough.

Drake and Jalee were guiding her right to the rambunctious horse. There was no way that she would imagine that they could do to make her ride that particular horse. To her dismay that horse was the one, they stopped at. She stood in front of the beautiful, but scary white horse staring into its eyes. Both men stood there looking at her if as she was supposed to know what she was supposed to do.

“Sara, it is okay.” Drake said as he walked over to her. “Her name is Star and she is your horse. Your mother gave her to you when you were eight years old, the horse will only let you ride her.” Sara slowly walked up the horse holding her hand out; Star stuck out her nose and rubbed her hand gently. Sara laughed nervously and walked over to the horse that only minutes ago was wild as can be and now was very peaceful.

After a minute, Sara gladly opened the latch and got on the horse. She had never been on a horse before, but some how she knew exactly what to do. By that time, the men had their horses and they rode off, through the yard and down the hill away from the glass city. Sara knew almost exactly what to do; all Sara had to do was hold on.

Therefore, they left, with only a few supplies in their bags and a long journey across Sar. Sara was terrified, but also knew what to do, or many people were going to die. The teenage girl from an adopted family in a small town was responsible for the fate of the lives of the Galaxy. She could barely keep her pet fish alive, and now she had an entire Galaxy to save. The only problem was she had no memories of how to save them.
Chapter 12

They rode on most of the night, when they reached the river they stopped to sleep. Nobody said a word, except to ask if she was hungry and she simply said no. Sara stayed awake awhile with Drake. The men had decided to take shifts to watch out. They had told her that Vacunay would have obstacles in their way along the journey. More and likely to kill the men so that she would not have anyone to guide her or fight by her side. Sara just nodded and watched the fire they had built.

Her mind was of her home on Earth. The fields and houses that were familiar felt more comfortable then she realized. She had also thought of her job and friends. She remembered the first time she saw Tacoma, the city that had been her home for the past eight years. That day was the beginning of a place she would know as home and for some reason this place had felt the same. Even if she told herself, it would not be like that. She could feel herself being a part of the surroundings as she felt in Tacoma.

The only difference was that in Tacoma she knew what she was getting into, this place was strange. Even the trees did not seem to fit right in her mind. Her entire mind was telling her that nothing was the same. Everything would be different once she arrived home. The world seemed strange to her, she no longer knew where home was, or that it even existed. Would this place be her home or did her home exist? Was it even possible for her to have any place she could call home?

Suddenly Sara thought about the way that Panoka and Koona talked to her. They seemed concerned and they had called her family. She had never truly had a family, at least not one that knew her. It felt like whatever they said or did, did not matter as long as they were there. It was the same way with Drake. Jalee it felt different though, she felt like she needed to keep him close to her. Keeping him close to her seemed more important then keeping him at a distance.

After awhile Sara laid down wrapping her cloak around her. It took awhile, but her mind went quiet and she drifted off. Another day to journey and things to discover until she reached her destination; all just to save the Duchess and her friends, everything still felt like it was a dream.

Sara did not sleep well, but she did sleep at least that was better then nothing. She woke up a few times to see Drake refilling the fire and a noise from the distant woods. She heard them talking, when Drake woke Jalee to take watch, and it almost felt like someone was touching her softly on the hand, but she was not sure. Her mind was a jumble of images and thoughts that did not make since to her.

The next time she woke up it was because of a hand that grabbed her shoulder; Sara instinctively swung her arm. When she opened her eyes she saw Jalee standing there holding his nose. Drake and she started laughing and Sara apologized to him. They said good morning and she just nodded. Drake gave her a piece of bread and she ate it gratefully as she helped them load the horses once more. Jalee tried putting the pack on Star, but the horse would not let him get close to it. Sara walked over and put the pack on her as if it was nothing. Both she and Drake laughed as everyone got on their horses.

As they finally got ready to get going, Drake finally turned and faced them. Sara knew that something was wrong since he talked to Lord Kovin, but she could not figure out what it was at first. “My home is only a quarter of a mile up stream. I would like to check on my wife and son before I headed off. There’s a bridge there we can cross at.” Sara and Jalee nodded their heads and the men stared at each other for a moment. There seemed to be an unsaid agreement between them, but Sara refused to understand.

It did not take long to get to the village, she was glad when they did, because Star was acting weird if she got to close to Jalee. They were riding in a line, Drake was leading, and Jalee rode behind. Every time Jalee got to close or tried to go ahead to talk to Drake Star went berserk and pushed him away from Sara. It was strange how much the horse disliked him and it was strange that she did not act the same toward Drake.

The village Drake lived in were mostly humans and every one of them were frozen. Some of which were shopping in the market and for the first time Sara noticed that, even the birds and small animals were frozen. She could not look at them; all she could do was stare at the ground and wait for them to stop in front of her. She could feel sorrow and guilt from somewhere close, but she could not pin point its location. She only sat there and stared at the ground in front of her and Stars mane.

When Drake stopped, Star did as well. That was when she looked up and saw a little house somewhere out of the village. The house had a pure white with wood trimming. She could see frozen animals and a candle flickering in the window. Suddenly she saw the little door to the house swing open and little boy running toward them yelling daddy. She was shocked at the little elf boy as he moved so quickly and yet hardly made a sound at all.

Drake had gotten off his horse and the little boy jumped in his arms. For the first time since meeting, Drake Sara saw joy and happiness as he stared into the little boys face. They talked for a minute as both Jalee and herself got off the horses and walked toward the two. Sara saw Drake’s wife at the door of their house watching her husband and son talk in the yard.

His wife was truly lovely and had a timeless beauty. She was an Elf woman with curly red hair and youthful grace. She looked like another homemaker in her little house. She did not move from her spot in front of the house, but watched. Drake’s wife looked over at her and for the first time she saw the reason the Elf wife did not move, she was sick. Somehow, her body was weakening. She knew Sara saw it and who she was, but simply nodded and smiled.

Sara’s gaze left Drake’s wife and moved back onto Drake and the boy. The boy suddenly turned and looked at her, his eyes lit up as his dad let him go and ran for her. She knelt down and stared at the boy as he stood staring back at her. He was no doubt the boy from the picture Drake had given her. The black hair and small elf features just like his father.

“Saraquine you look the same way you did the last time I saw you.” The boy reached around her neck and held her tight. Sara returned the gesture and could not help but smile back at the boy. His joy covered her and everything felt like it had before she had left her home. The Elf boy let go and looked at her. “Did you get the picture I asked my dad to give to you?”

Sara shook her head yes and smiled at the boy. “I loved it, thank you. I might not be here if it wasn’t for you.” She stood up and noticed Drake talking to his wife at the door. It was then that she understood why he had come to his home. It was his wife’s sickness. The little elf boy ran to the house and she watched as all of them entered. Drake did not belong in the battle anymore then Panoka and Koona. She did not move from her spot and she knew she never would. Drake had lived this life since he had left Saraquine. It was not Sara’s place to be there.

Jalee was behind her, whether he did not go because she was not or because he felt the same way did not matter. Drake was going to stay where he was now and protect his home. Sara knew that was what he had planned on doing from the beginning. The secret sorrow that he had hidden so well from them during the night, Drake did not wish to leave her side for a second, but knew that he had too. He was leaving them not only for his family, but it was no longer his responsibility to take care of her.

Finally, without hesitating she turned and began preparing Star to continue on their journey. When she turned around after finishing, Jalee stood behind her with an uncontrollable since of calm running through him. He knew Drake would not be going with them across the river. He handed her a short sword and smiled ironically. “I was told to tell you that this sword would protect you from anything that came after us. Drake knew that it was not his place to go with you. He asks that you stay safe and when you return you’ll understand.” Sara put the short sword’s leather binding around her waist.

When she looked up Jalee was staring at her. It was not a bad stare more as if he was remembering something that would not make since to her. For some unknown reason, they stood staring into each other’s eyes. There were secrets inside of them, clouded in mystery. There was also a mixture of emotions that she was caught up in. “Why do you do that?” she said not looking away.

“What are you talking about?” She felt his body shift and his eyes showed only one emotion that she could not describe. Something she had never felt in her life she knew that much. It made her want to smile and cry all at the same time. Strangely, she liked the feel of his eyes looking back at her it felt like home to her. It felt as if she has seen it millions of times and still finds it comfortable.

“You’re emotions shift like a fly. It’s as if you can’t make up your mind.” His eyes grew compassionate, but she could not see what he was thinking. It felt like he wanted to say something, but she did not know what. He looked away and mounted his horse. For some reason it made her feel like she had said something that she shouldn’t have.

Sara turned and stared at Star, she had not acted the way she had been when he was around. Star also knew something that Sara did not know about this life. Sara mounted the horse and caressed Star’s mane knowing she did not mean it. Star would tell her what she wanted to know, if she could talk. Sara knew that much about the horse that allowed her to ride it. Jalee was next to her, she watched as Jalee patted Star and looked back at her. “It is only because you are around.” He looked at her and it made her feel sad. The answers to her question making her feel like she was the cause for this stranger’s sadness.

They rode on Jalee in front of her. Sara knew that he meant something by the way he looked at her, but both were hiding their feelings. Their connection was strong and she could feel it, but she did not understand it. Under a blanket among the pain that seeped out of her were the secrets that kept her there. The pain of a past she feared that really is hers and that in it brought pain. This pain will devour her she feared if it really was her fault, but deep down she knew it was.

“That is not an answer Jalee.” He turned and looked at her smiling. “Are you trying to be vague or are you pulling my chain?” Jalee’s expression changed for a moment looking at her blankly. Sara was very confused by his reaction to what she had said. “What?”

“I’m confused on what you mean by ‘pulling my chain.’ I have never heard this expression before.” Sara suddenly laughed loudly. For some time now, she had forgotten that she was not on Earth. No one had heard this expression before, because it was an Earth expression. That brought up another question that she needed an answer too. She still didn’t understand how everyone was speaking English.

“Well basically I was asking if you were joking around with me manipulating me. Pulling my chain is a way of wondering if you are telling me the whole truth in a joking matter.” Jalee turned back to the path. Sara rolled her eyes sat her head on Star’s neck. “I don’t get it Star!”

“To answer your question, I am being vague.” Jalee didn’t look back at her he kept looking forward. “I think it is best for someone to learn the truth on their own. When I told you that my emotions act up because you are around me I told you why you saw that in my eyes, but I did not tell you the full reason why they do that. There could be many reasons why my emotions fly because you are around me.”

Sara laughed and rode Star up next to him and looked at his profile. Jalee turned a looked at her. She smiled at him her eyes a little brighter. “Maybe you can answer another question for me.” Jalee shrugged his shoulders. “Why can I understand everyone? This is another planet after all and yet everyone is speaking English.”

Sara saw a small smile crease his face. “Well we’re not speaking English. Right now, I am speaking Illade, the language of the High Council. I was raised to speak Weltrie, another language on this planet. All the languages sound the same to you because you are wearing the Galaxy Crystal. The power of the crystal translates what people are saying to a language you understand. From what I understand it was your mother’s best friend when she traveled.”

Her mind went blank. It was true everyone was using different languages. Sara couldn’t help but wonder what the language sounded like. Her hand went to the Galaxy crystal. She slipped it off her neck and held it in her hand.

With all that has happened Sara couldn’t help but wonder about all the things the crystal could do. According to everyone else, the crystal was the one that took her memory away from her. On Earth only an extremely trauma to the head could take memories away, but nothing could replace them either. Sara had known for a while that Saraquine lost her memories, but she didn’t know if she really lived her life.

Suddenly Jalee began to talk. It sounded like gibberish to her. There were a lot of lisps and low grunts. Sara had heard other languages before, but only Earth. This language sounded nothing like words at all. Suddenly it really hit Sara hard that she was on another planet. This planet had its own language, government, and culture.

Sara slipped the necklace back on and saw it glow a little. Sara suddenly became frightened that it was going to make her pass out again, but it didn’t. She exhaled slowly closing her eyes slightly. Sara turned to Jalee again, “I’m sorry what did you say?”

“Did your curiosity get the best of you?” Sara shrugged her shoulders. He laughed at her his laugh was deep. She couldn’t help but laugh along with him. “I was asking if you were okay.”

“I’m fine I have a lot on my mind.” Jalee nodded his head slightly, but did not ask what she was thinking. “For instance someone said that I was gone for fifty years, but I am only seventeen years old.”

“Well that takes a little explaining. You explained to me once that it is idiotic to think that a day here is the same as a day on another planet. A day is from one sunset to the next sunset. Some solar systems have more then one sun so their days could go on forever. On the other hand, some suns move faster across the sky then others.

“On the planet you were on the Sun moved slower then here on Sar. To us it has been fifty years since you disappeared. According to Drake’s calculations, which he explained to me when he got back, you have been gone for one year.” Sara's eyes got real big and then it started to make sense to her. One of them said that she was sixteen when she disappeared, and now she was seventeen.

“So I was only on Earth for one year.” Sara started to cry a little. “What about the first sixteen years of my life?” Jalee didn’t look at her. “Please tell me, I need to know.”

“They were all a lie, the crystal created them.” Jalee rode up ahead of her. She didn’t protest, but fell behind him. “I’m sorry,” She heard Jalee whisper slightly from up ahead of her.

There was no way of stopping it now. Jalee had told her the truth, but it was not what Sara had wanted to hear. The crystal made her whole life up. Everything except the past year of her life was nothing but a lie.

* * *

It didn’t take long for Jasolin to reach the town in the Dark Territory where her brother was supposed to be living. It would figure that Jaria would live close by their hometown rather then move as far away as possible, as she had done. He had always cared about her even when they no longer saw each other it seemed he was still thinking about her. He always did act more like a big brother rather then her twin.

Jasolin had not seen anyone since she left her hometown and started walking through the fields. The Soldiers that usually watched the border were not even there anymore. It was as if the two territories were one once again. She had been hesitant to go on but continued walking just the same, even to just get it over. The day was hot, but her white uniform kept her pretty cool. Except at night when the sun did not heat the land and she froze.

She reluctantly slept a little next to a lake in the Dark Territory. The strangest thing as she sat there leaning against a tree she swore she felt something inside of her stirring to life. As if a piece of her woke up for the first time, but it was only a moment and quickly disappeared. Still she had never felt like that in her life. It could have been because it was the first time in years that she was on her own, left to her own wills.

Then again, it could be anything in days like this. She continued on the next morning without any problems and the feeling never came back. Jasolin figured that it was something from her power that was blocked. She would believe anything at this moment. Nothing could surprise her as much as finding out her mother was alive. That would top anything anyone could ever tell her in this lifetime.

It did not make since to her why her mother would leave them with their father rather then take care of them. Especially if she had powers like they did, and could help them. Jasolin wondered if Jaria knew that their mother was still alive. If that was the reason, he stayed close by. Jasolin would have to wait and find out when she finds him.

Slowly she started walking toward the town in the distance. There was no movement coming around the town, she hadn’t even heard anything all day, but her shoes on the dirt. The stillness of the town made chills go up her spine as she walked closer, not a voice, a whisper, a cry, a bark, or any other sound.

In the distance there, she saw someone standing outside a door leaning on the wall. Smiling softly to herself and laughing at her paranoia, she headed toward them. Jasolin figured that there would be someone in town that would know who Jaria was and how to find him. All she had was his name and the little piece of info that he was there to lead her.

Running a little as if the man leaning on the wall was going to disappear she headed for him. Then suddenly as she got closer, her pace slowed and she realized the man was not moving. His eyes were wide-open hands mid in the air about to lift him off the wall. Yet he was not moving, not even breathing for that matter. Jasolin felt water come to her eyes in disbelief and shock. She covered her mouth in shock as she gasped at the realization.

Jasolin could not believe what she was seeing never in her life had she ever seen someone frozen. Jasolin never considered the possibility that it could ever happen. Magic froze the little town, but it would not explain why she had not seen anyone or anything all day. She had not even seen nor heard a bird or other animals either.

Her hand reached up as she looked at the human man with red hair holding a bottle of ale in one hand. Carefully she pushed the man, but he did not budge from his position. Her eyes had tears falling down them in fear of what could have happened to the people and whether she was going to freeze as well. Her arms and legs had goose bumps as the sun beat down on her and she looked down the street.

There before her eyes were other people standing around completely frozen in time, no one was moving in the entire town and there she was walking around unaffected. Slowly her pace quickened as she began walking down the street staring at the faces of people trapped in a moment. A street of human statues locked in a position they could not comprehend. It was like a still picture that they use to paint hundreds of years ago.

Suddenly part of her skirt was caught under her shoes and she fell down in the dirt street. The dust flew up her nose and she sneezed a few times. Her lungs filled up with dust and her eyes squeezed shut blocking it from the intrusion. Finally, she stood up pushing the dirt off her clothes and sneezed a few more times. Jasolin whipped the tears from her eyes no longer afraid anymore, replaced by frustration.

After ten years, she has waited and hesitated to find her brother. All those years and now the whole town was frozen. Kicking the dirt in front of her in anger, she screamed aloud. There had been so much that she wanted to tell her brother so many things that she could not even begin to start. Now the only thing she could hope for is for him to be away from this town. She prayed that he was not frozen like them.

“Excuse me are you okay?” The voice came out of nowhere as Jasolin stopped screaming. Her heart jumped as it came and she turned and looked at the person talking. It was a strange man. Very young with a rugged, but kind face, he did not seem shocked or surprised that the others were frozen or that she was not. “Jasolin!”

His voice was quiet and surprised. Jasolin took a step back from him looking more closely at the man standing in front of him. His brown straight hair was a bit long for young men and he had a muscular build. It was his eyes though that made her realized who he was and how he knew her. He had the same blue eyes as she did; it was Jaria. “Jaria!”

Jasolin walked over wrapping her arms around his neck holding him tightly for a moment. She had found him; he was alive and moving. A tear fell down her face as she held her twin brother for the first time in ten years. “Jasolin where have you been, I’ve been looking everywhere for you?”

Diligently she let go of him and looked down at her outfit and back at him. It was not hard to figure out where she was and what she was doing. “I’ve been a housekeeper at the Kovins’ house for the past seven years.” She hesitated as she looked away at the dirt next to her feet for a moment. “I couldn’t stay there any longer; there was nothing left there for me. I needed to know…”

“Jasolin,” he said interrupting her. “I understand that’s why I left as well. Come on there is so much we should talk about.” He grabbed her hand and began pulling her in some direction probably to his house.

Suddenly she remembered why she had come to find Jaria and knew if she did not tell him now she would never be able to say it. “Jaria there is something I need to tell you that I have learned that you must know.” He stopped as Jasolin took her hand back and sat in on stomach. “It’s about our mother, she’s alive Jaria!”

Jaria laughed, as she stood there horrified that he would laugh at something like that. They had grown up without a mother and he was laughing about it. She was heart broken at the idea of her mother leaving them with their father all those years. When Jasolin went to question him about his laughter he simply put and a hand up and silenced her. “Jasolin I already know. The only reason I am still living here is that I am waiting for you. Come on I’m going to take you to her, she really wants to meet you.”
© Copyright 2009 Cathy (catangel at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1561639-Galaxy-Crystal--Chpt-1112