*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1561642-Galaxy-Crystal--Chpt-1516
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Cathy
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Fantasy · #1561642
15 Jasolin's mother 16 Sara's feelings, Jalee's feelings
Galaxy Crystal: A Forgotten Life
by Catherine Framke

Chapter 15

Quietly Jasolin stood at the end of table in Jaria’s house and cried for them. Her brother had lied to her; he had kept something from her all those years. She had been living alone in a strange place because she was afraid that there was nothing left in her life. Her brother had his own path and she needed to find hers. Instead, she found lies and pain that led her back to him.

Jaria sat a cup of juice in front of her, as she stood there just looking at it. He tried to put a hand on her shoulder but she pulled away from him and continued to look down at the juice crying with the pain of the world. The people back there were frozen and she knew that there was something that Jaria knew that could help them. It was something about his eyes that told her everything about his plans.

Since they were kids, they had been alike, thought and acted alike. Now she looked at him and his eyes had a dark cloud hovering around him and there was a since of something seriously wrong with him. She knew that he had changed over the years and now she looked at him and nothing of the brother she remembered was looking back at her. His eyes were dark, unkind he had turned into someone else, and there was nothing left of the brother she knew.

“Jasolin what is your problem?” Her head shook wildly as a tear fell down her face. She had been through so much in the past years believing her family was dead and gone. Her brother living his own life alone was keeping the secret that her mother was alive. That she had a mother somewhere out there not looking or caring about her. All she ever wanted was a mother that would teach her how to be a woman and have a life that mattered.

“Well I found out about our mother a few days ago and went looking for you immediately. You knew, I do not know how long and you just waited. I wasn’t hard to find, I wasn’t hiding from you.” Jaria walked toward the green counter and kicked the cabinet. Jasolin did not flinch or even care he had kept it from her made her believe she was alone because he was too lazy to find her. He was her twin and yet he cared more about himself then he ever did about her.

“You left Jasolin, he wanted to run away and leave everyone behind. I stayed for two months hoping you would come back. Then one day for no reason, at all I packed my bag and walked out of the house. This town seemed better then any where else, at least I wouldn’t be known as the black smiths’ son.” Jaria did not look at her; he could not look at her. There was so much that Jasolin did not understand, she had thought he would have left the same time he did.

“If I would have stayed I would have been miserable. Everyone in that town looked at us as if we were outsiders. I thought that you would have left as well, and if you had asked me to go with you, I would not have been able to say no. We had always been together Jaria, ever since our first steps we were by each other’s side just waiting for the other. If I couldn’t find myself I don’t think I could have grown up like did.” Jaria turned and looked at her; he was not smiling or wondering what could have happened, but almost hoping that something would happen.

“I was hoping that you were just getting groceries or needed to go for a walk. Then night came and day and night again. I thought that maybe you were hurt somewhere so I went looking for you. I never found you. I knew you had left the first day, but I thought you might come back. I didn’t want to believe that you would leave me just because father had died.” Jaria sat down in the chair and looked at her, but she did not move.

“Jaria, dad and I were not exactly what people would call a healthy relationship. If I would have stayed I would never been able to live a normal life. Even if I went with you I wouldn’t have been able to find out what I wanted in life instead of what you and dad wanted for me.” Jaria finally sat down and looked down at her outfit.

“Dad wasn’t a bad guy Jasolin. He just saw you as he saw mother. How would you feel if you were left with two children that had strange gifts? Dad tried everything he could but in the end it wasn’t enough to forget what mom did to him.” Jasolin shook her head and looked out the window. “So where did you go?”

Jasolin laughed and looked back at him. “At first I just walked around for a few weeks. I was a server in a few towns and then a housekeeper at a motel in the Glass City. After that, I was offered to go to a school to be a housekeeper at one of the Protectors family’s house. I went through it to have a permanent home, even if it was as a housekeeper. After graduating, I started working for Lady Kovin to help take care of their daughter. I have been there ever since.”

“My sister was a housekeeper for one of the Protectors families. Mom is going to get a kick out of this!” Jasolin looked away from him. He knew their mother and she didn’t even know her name. She wondered what it would have been like to have her mother around, and know what she really was like. If her power could have been controlled all those years maybe then she would understand what was happening to her.

“What is she like?” Jasolin said looking back at him and taking a drink of the juice that was in front of her. Jaria smiled and laughed a little. She did not share his humor, as she would have when they were kids. They truly had changed over the past ten years of being apart. “When did you learn that she was still alive?”

“Well it was after you left me at the house. I was walking around the attic looking for something that would help me understand why I was alone. That was when I found a chest in the attic. When I opened it was full of letters to Dad.” Jaria smiled and his head bent down. “Apparently mom had been writing to Dad for years even before we were born.”

Jasolin smiled and laughed at the idea of her mother writing Dad love letters since they had met. She wished that she could of known this when Jaria and she were younger. “That is so romantic. What did they say?”

Jaria took a deep breath as he looked down at the table and laughed at her. “Actually most of them said how sorry she was to leave us with him and that she hoped we were growing up well. Mom also talked about her sisters, how as soon as they finished what they were working on she would come back and take all of us back with her. Then she talks about a set back in their plans.”

“Wait!” Jasolin turned and looked at the door and back at him. “What do you mean by a plan? Who exactly is mom? Why did she think we couldn’t handle what ever she is doing?” Jaria looked down at the table and frowned.

“Mom says that the work her and her sisters have been doing is for the best for the entire Galaxy. That was the only reason she left us with father. If we had been with her, people would think she had a weakness. In her life, weakness was unacceptable. It also helped that her sisters knew nothing about us. Trust me everything will be easier to understand when you meet her. She can’t wait to meet you.”

Jasolin punched the table, mostly out of frustration. “If she wanted to meet me she would have been in our lives years ago. She left us Jaria; she left us with some strange powers that we cannot control. I do not know about you but my visions have become so frequent I do not even dream anymore. All I ever see is stuff that will happen to other people, Things that mean nothing to me! At least your power doesn’t just activate on its own.”

Without even thinking, Jasolin stood up and started walking toward the door. Jaria had no idea what it is like. He had learned of our mother ten years ago and decided it would be best not to tell her. She walked out the house and headed toward the nothing that was outside. The rolling grassy hills in front of his house seemed endless. Jaria seemed so happy without her, it would be best if she left.

Finally, she started walking down the field toward the Galaxy Kingdom where she knew she would be safe. Jasolin had done what she wished to do and now she only wanted to get as far away from him and all the others as possible. Maybe she will leave the planet she always wanted to visit the fairy world. Anything to drain out the heartbreak she felt when ever she thought about the pain.

“Jasolin!” Jaria yelled at her, as she was a good thirty feet away from the house. She turned and looked at him, but kept on walking away from him. He had let her down for the last time. “I know what dad did to you. I know about everything that he had done to you. I am sorry but do not blame me for all of his mistakes; I was trying to protect you. We were kids there wasn’t much we could do.”

The anger she felt rose as she turned and looked at him and like her anger the wind blew harder. “You know nothing!” She screamed at him. “You were his favorite the one that would be like him. I was nothing I never had anyone. Even when you were around you ignored what was going on. Every night Jaria, every night!” The tears were falling down her face as she looked across the field at him standing in front of his house. He began to walk toward her.

“I know, I always knew. I thought that if I ignored it that it would end, but it never did.” Jasolin turned around and kept on walking. She promised herself she would not remember her father in that way that there were good moments. She believed some things will be forgotten and would not disrupt her new life. Then she went out to find her brother and he had to bring it up again.

Jaria began to run after her, but she never stopped walking away from him. Jasolin could not allow him to talk about things like that; her mother could have stopped all of it a long time ago. Ever since it started she made excuses for what her father had done, it was because he had lost her mother. If she had known that her mother was alive, she would have fought back.

“Damn it Jasolin, why don’t you just talk to me for once?” Jaria glared at her as she continued to walk down the field away from him. He had promised that he would bring her back with him when he goes back to their mother. They had always been close even when their father was doing what he was doing. Jasolin use to be able to tell him everything. Now she would not even talk to him.

There had been so much that he wanted to tell her so much that she needed to know, but he could not tell her. He had promised their mother that he would keep quiet until Jasolin saw for herself what her mother was really doing. His mother’s plan involved them as much as it did her sisters. Jasolin needed to know what their mother was planning for their future. There was so much that she did know.

“You are still the same self absorbed little girl.” He knew that would get her to turn around talk to him. She hated when he called her that. Jasolin turned immediately and stared at him with more anger then he had ever seen in their entire life.

“How would you know?” Jasolin yelled at him, her voice was deep and angry. “For the past ten years I have been trying to find a way to live a normal life. Trying to tell myself that there were other ways to exist rather then the way we did. All I ever wanted was a family that cared. Not a father that abused me, a mother that abandoned me, and a brother who looked down on me.”

“I never looked down on you.” Jaria stood ten feet in front of her waiting for some excuse he had for not living up to her expectations. “You were the only one that I ever trusted the only one that ever stayed by my side and encouraged me to keep going. When the other kids teased us you were the one that stood up to them, I could not. Jasolin, you were always my strength. I wish you could see that.”

“What is this your way to getting me to meet mom?” Jasolin did not move away from him just stood there staring into his dark eyes that use to be full of light. He did not know what he was going to do, but he knew that he was going to get her to their mother. There was no doubt about that, there never was. Jasolin knew that, after all he was her brother and knew what he was thinking. He was always an open book to her; maybe because they shared a secret and that they were twins. In the end, no body knew.

“I think it would be a good idea if you met her. You are right I do not have the problem you have with your powers, but it did not mean that I did not have problems of my own. It does not mean I do not understand what you are going through. You feel abandoned and alone. Like someone just tore your heart out and there is nothing left to hold on to.” Jasolin started to cry as he spoke to her. “You left me ten years ago alone in a house where our father had died. I felt more alone then anything in the world. I let go of that pain and understood what you needed.”

“You know nothing of what it was like. I always felt alone even when I was with you, even when we walked through the woods and down the street together! You were always so happy and excited; I was terrified that I would never be able to be like that. The only joy that I have ever had was when I was playing with Lady Kovin’s daughter Violette. I left that because I thought maybe we still had a chance to have a family with our mother.” The tears fell down her face and there was something very strange about the whole situation.

“We still can have that Jasolin. There is still a chance that we can live together as a family. Even if it is only for a moment and there is still something, you do not understand. If and only if you come and try to learn it yourself.” Jaria grabbed her hand and held it tightly as she stood there looking for something to believe in. Could it be possible to live happily with a family that believed in her?

“Why should I believe that this stranger can come back in our lives and be a mother to me?” Jaria did not move as she said it staring into each other’s eyes as they did when they were children.

“Would you rather stay around here and wait for something better to happen? Take care of someone else while your family could be only a few miles away from where you are standing?”

“At least when I’m taking care of their family I feel like I’m doing something for the good of everyone else. If you knew me, really knew me, you would never have said that I was a self-absorbed little girl. I have tried my hardest to believe that something more is possible.”

“Then show me, show our mother that you are not going to stay in the background and wait for something to happen. Get out there and make it happen for all of us. Do something for yourself for once in your life.”

“Prove it to me!”

Finally, the two of them started walking back to the house. Jasolin started giggling a little. When they were kids they would argue and come up with something to fight about, but this was the first time he had ever won. This was what she had to do; she had to know what was going on. She needed to know the real reason for her power!

It did not matter why she was going to go and meet her mother. Not only meet her mother, but also be able to start a new life all over again. She had her twin brother and soon will have her mother. It was what she always wanted, but it felt so wrong. Nothing about the situation made her feel good. Something was going to happen she could feel it deep down in her heart, as if she was going to loose her heart and soul.

Jasolin had never done anything for herself; maybe this would be a good idea. Maybe meeting her mother and finding out what her powers are will help her accept who she was. She never had anything that ever just belonged to her, not even her family was her own. This might be the only shot she has finally live a life that belongs to her. It was a start to something more then just what she was, and all she needed was the courage. On the other hand, this step will be the start to something that will take her life away from her, and she will loose whom she is.

Chapter 16

“Sara open your eyes!” Jalee was holding her head on his lap pleading with her to answer with some kind of gesture. “Come on please, I promised to protect you!” His heart had stopped beating as he stared down at her helpless form, the short sword of the Gnome still in her stomach. He lifted her in his arms and sat her on Stars saddle, then got up as well.

The stubborn horse did not like him riding her, but after a moment, she ignored him. He looked back once and saw his dead horse and the dead Gnomes. When he ran toward Sara, they enclosed them. Jalee had killed most of them before they retreated, but the damage had been done. Sara had killed their General and he had stuck his sword through her. If Jalee did not get her help soon she would bleed to death there in his arms.

He tapped Stars back and the horse yelled at him before she rode off. Jalee could not loose her now, not like this. The Elvin city was only a few miles outside the dark forest he would get her there before she died. He kicked Star again and she went faster through the trees. Sara was leaning back on him unconscious from the shock of her wound.

A lot had happened since he last saw Sara, the next High Protector. Everything around him reminded him of her and it hurt. Even the simplest thing like a flower reminded him of what they had together. Over the past fifty years, he had stayed close to her family, hoping she would return; return to him! Jalee imagined her return a lot different then this. For one thing, he thought she would remember him. Remember what happened between them.

Jalee kicked Star again pushing her faster making her know that it was desperate to get Sara help. No there was no way he was going to loose her not like this, Sara will grow old and have children and see her grandchildren. He was not going to let her die, not when there was something he could do to stop it. She was going to get her memories back and then decide what she wanted to do. Nobody was going to plan her future for her, not anymore. It was going to be her choice to either stay on Sar or return to Earth for good.

Star maneuvered around the trees the sun was starting to set. They had been riding for hours with Sara hurt. They were almost there though, almost to the Elvin city. There Sara would get the help she desperately needed. Jalee was already feeling his body ache from riding this long, when they reached the Elvin forest. It felt like he was running and not Star. Star never gave up though not for a moment, she was as scared for Sara as he was. Neither of them was ready to loose her for good.

Miles later hours past, and the sky was filled with stars when Jalee finally saw the bright blue lights of the Elvin wall. The horse saw them as well and fiercer then ever she ran harder. Instead of running through or around the bushes, she jumped over them right toward the main gate of the city. Star stopped abruptly in front of the light blue gate with the bright blue lanterns glowing about them almost twenty feet high. Above the wall Elvin, soldiers marched and protected the city. Not that it was hard to protect. There were two entrances and the whole wall was protected by magic that even Vacunay could not get through.

“Hey, there what’s your business in the blue city?” Jalee looked up frantically searching for the voice. It came from the guard near a blue light above him. It took Jalee a minute to remember proper procedure to entering the Elvin city.

“My name is Jalee Ahoy and this is Protector Saraquine Parkern. We were attacked by the Gnomes and the Protector is badly hurt we need help immediately.” By the time, he said she was hurt the door suddenly slid open by some unknown force. An Elvin council remember was standing there waiting for him. Jalee rode directly to him inside the city, the sliding stone of the door closing once more behind him. Ignoring all the stares from the guards and a few mingling citizens, he jumped off the horse, lifting Sara off it and kneeling down in front of the High Council member. Her limp body lay almost dead in his arms. “Please help her, the Galaxy Kingdom will be lost if she died.”

The Council member grinned a moment and stared at him with the Protector in his arms. “Don’t you mean you’ll be lost without her young Jalee of the Dark Kingdom?” He said it as a statement, but it felt like and insult to him, but it was true that he would be lost without her. Even though he was no longer a part of the Dark Kingdom and he despised anyone who said so, but could not argue with him until Sara was safe from harm. “Lay her down on the ground and I shall heal her.”

Jalee laid her gently on the grass. Sara did not move or even flinch since she killed the General. If it were not for the blood, he would think she was asleep. The council member sat on his knees and reached for the knife. The elf pulled it out and Sara jumped a little in surprise before falling back down. The blood began to ooze out of her stomach faster. Jalee took a hold her hand almost praying that she would live. The High Council Member pressed his hand on her stomach and a bright white light glowed out of his hand. Sara’s eyes opened and the Galaxy crystal glowed blue. Jalee watched as the lights merged around her body.

Little by little, the light disappeared revealing Sara’s healed form. It was as if she had never been hurt at all except the blade shaped hole in her shirt. Sara was half-awake looking at Jalee then at the elf. The High Council Member reached up to her face and pushed the loose hair out of the way. “Thank you, Elvin Council member.” He smiled at her sweetly.

“You’re very welcome Protector Saraquine.” He put his thumb to her forehead. “You must sleep now.” Sara’s eyes automatically closed and she was asleep. “Come the Elvin King will want to see the Protector, he’ll give you shelter for the night.” Jalee was still sitting there in shock. There had been no words to describe what had just happened. Sara was no longer hurt and had no injuries on her; there was not a power in the world that could compare.

The High Council Member rose and Jalee lifted the Protector’s sleeping form into his arms. All he could do was follow the High Council Member down the street with Star close behind. “Thank you, I wouldn’t know what I would do if she would have died.”

The High Council Member laughed but did not turn around or stop walking toward the Blue castle above. He had almost lost her, he would not make that mistake again, and it was time for him to start acting serious about his promise to Drake and himself starting then. The kiss from that morning will have to be forgotten, and he will become cold hearted. It will be the only way; he will be able to keep his emotions in check.

* * *

It was bright and the ballroom was a bright white. Six columns held it together on each side. On one end, there was a double door, shut and locked tight; on the other end, two decorated golden chairs. On the left was a staircase leading up, with rose carvings leading up the banisters, as did the columns. Above was a stain glass decorated with many flowers and trees reflection on the floor? Down below on the wood floor there were wavy lines leading from the center outward. Within the circle, a giant rose facing upward.

There were so many magical places within the Galaxy, but this place had been much more then that. It was like being in a dream and the image would disappear. Sara laughed and breathed in her surroundings watching the colors on the floor. It was a dream she realized seeing a blue gown on her and shoes that matched. That cannot be right, where was she, how did she manage to change her clothes? Sara reached up and her hair had not only been down, but was past her butt. She had never had her hair that long; it would get in her way.

“Hello!” She yelled hearing her voice echo through the room. “Can anyone help me, I think I’m lost?” Suddenly she heard footsteps from her left she turned suddenly. There walked a beautiful young woman in a black old-fashioned floor length dress gracefully walking down the stairs. She had long black hair, just like Sara’s own hair she realized. Sara watched the woman float down and come toward her. There was nothing she could say or do just watch her move without looking away. The woman stopped in front of her smiling. Sara noticed her pale white skin and bright green eyes.

At that moment, it was as if lightening had struck. Everything about this woman made since to her. The entire purpose of this strange and beautiful dream, she was not Sara Miller at that moment. She was not anyone but who she really was, it all made since. Why didn’t she notice it at first, how could she have denied it for so long? All the strange dreams started flying through her head, now finally remembering them all.

Her eyes lifted once again to the woman in front of her not realizing she had looked away. “Mom!” She said with a desperate cry for help. The woman wrapped her hands around her daughter holding her tight. “It’s really you, but how?”

“Well it took you long enough to find your way here my child.” Her voice was exactly the way it had been when she was a child both calming and reassuring. Violette let go of her daughter and stood in front of her once again. “I suppose you wouldn’t understand what I was talking about young Saraquine.”

“How are you here? Where have you been, why couldn’t I remember you until now?” Sara found her breath lodged in her lungs. Her mother had captured her attention from the moment she came down the stairs, and now that she was there, it hurt her deep.

“Oh, my child I was always there with you, I know everything that has happened to you since the day I died. I am a part of you as long as you remember me.” The High Protector reached up and took Sara’s hand facing it palm up on hers. “You see Saraquine, I am your mother. We were together the moment we both were born to this Galaxy. My last powers were to send you away and doing that I was with you deep down in your mind.” Sara moved her hand and looked away from her mother.

“I trapped you with me forever.” Sara’s mind raced with the possibility that she cursed her mother because she was in danger.

“Oh child do not fear what you think is your fault, listen to your heart. I did it because I love you and I would do it again if I had too.”

“That’s impossible you died fifty years ago, how could you possibly be here talking to me.” The High Protector did not move with Sara’s words, that came out meaner then she had thought that she would say them.

“It’s the crystal that keeps me with you. When I saved you, my essence was locked away inside so that I could come to you when you most needed it.” Sara’s hand went to her mouth as if she was going to cry, her own mother was trapped in the crystal because she tried to save her, and didn’t she say she was within her mind earlier. “This is not the time for those questions or doubts on what I did my child. Now is the time that I tell you the ancestry of our family before it is to late.

“When the first High Protector of the Galaxy as a child she was told that she was not able to have children. Therefore, she decided that if she could not have children she would do what no other woman wanted to do, she joined the Galaxy army to defeat those that threatened her family. It was the first Galactic war against the Aliens beyond our Galaxy. That was where she fell in love with a soldier. They fought side by side together until the end of the war. It was already known that the two of them could never be aloud to be together, because her love was one of the elementals. By then they did not care and the first High Protector became pregnant with her daughter. She had so much notice that when it came time to choose the person to protect the Galaxy she became one of their choices. In the last battle, her lover was killed. The first High Protector accepted their offer and became High Protector.

“Shortly after she learned that she was pregnant, with her dead lover’s child. She was told never to tell anyone that the father was an elemental. The day before she gave birth a man came to her inside her garden where she wept for the man she loved. He told her that he was her lover’s father and that the child she carried was his only grandchild. The man gave the High Protector the Galaxy crystal telling her it was their family’s heirloom and that it had more power then any human could even imagine, but it only worked for females. With the crystal, he told her, the child would do more good for the Galaxy Kingdom then anyone, but the only catch was he or anyone living knew how it worked.”

Sara found herself holding on to the crystal while its origin’s were being told to her from her own mother. Violette grabbed onto her hand with the crystal in it. “If nobody knew how it worked then how did the first High Protector’s daughter use it?” Her mother laughed and closed her eyes remembering the stories that she was told as Sara stood there waiting for an answer.

“Well as you know the first High Protector died, shortly after Sarquin was born, from despair. Growing up the High Protector swore she would never fall in love, but by the time, she was sixteen she fell in love. He was one of the Dukes sons; they met at her birthday party. Sarquin loved that man more then anything in the world. They were married two years later, a year after that they had their first child. It was a beautiful little girl, yet she still did not learn the secret of the crystal. One day her family was playing in a field outside of town when her little girl was hit by a wagon that broke off from its owner. She held her child as she felt the little girl slip away from her. Then she whispered in her ear that she loved her more then anything in the world. It was that moment that the crystal worked for her and saved the child.

“Two years later they had another child and the two of them were filled with joy with the idea of having a second child. The moment she had that child, the crystal activated once more and split into two. When that happened all she could see was a purple light surrounding her. This was the Universe crystal and it was given to their youngest child. Those were the only times she ever used the crystal, and regrettably it cursed her children and ever since there have only been women in our family. Saraquine, you are apart of a long history of woman with the gift of magic passed down from Sarquin’s father.”

Her mother let go of Sara’s hand and simply smiled at her sweetly as possible. Sara stood there going through what she had said to her in her head. Sure, she was one of Sarquin’s decedents, but she still did not understand. Her family was cursed by the crystal’s power, what did that have to do what was going on now? “I don’t understand why are you telling me this? How is it connected to what is happening to me now?”

Violette laughed loudly echoing off all the walls around them. Sara’s head swinging back and forth making sure no one else was there. Then she looked back at her, she was holding her hand over her mouth. “Excuse me; you are definitely my little girl.” Sara could not help but laugh a little herself at the fact she was like her mother. “You see my child when Sarquin died she had a great vision. It was of you my child, a Protector born of her blood. She knew that the aliens that came in the time of her mother would return. Since they have only you and the others with the crystal will be able to stop them from advancing. You must learn the secrets of the crystal and stop Vacunay. Do not get side tracked and start disbelieving in who you are.” He voice roughened as she talked to her. “Remember your training and that people do care and love you.”

Sara pulled her hair back in a nervous anxiousness that rose through her. “I don’t understand how can I do these things? I am only a human child. Nothing special ever happens to me, this is too much for me to handle.” Her mother started walking toward the stairs; she did not look back or even answer her. There had been no answer to give that Sara did not already know. All she had to do was get the courage and understand what was really going on around her.

“Princess leave her alone.” A distant voice said from her conscious mind. Sara turned her heard back and forth searching for a source, the building was fading from her. She closed her eyes and breathed deeply, her mother was gone. When she opened them, again she was lying down in a bed staring at a creamed color ceiling. There were giggles at the foot of her bed, but Sara was afraid to move.

Where was she? Did the Gnomes capture her? What happened to Jalee, did he get hurt?

She could not remember what happened. The sword was no longer in her hand and the pain was gone. She had killed him, the Gnome that hurt her. He had stuck his sword in her gut and she cut his head off. Sara had never killed anything in her life and she had done it as if it was instinct. There had been no thought process when she did it or even a glimmer of sorrow now that it was done.

Jalee, she had seen Jalee’s feet fighting them off, but other then that, there was nothing. Had he died trying to save her or did he save her and bring her somewhere safe where she could heal? If he had died for her, she would never forgive herself for as long as she lived. Sara had finally gotten him to open up to her and now there was no hope for it. After that, she knew he was going to keep his distance, to protect her from him. Most men would blame themselves for something like that; at least that is what Sara has learned.

Then after that kiss they shared, she wouldn’t blame him if he never talked her again. Jalee confused her now more then before she had kissed him. It was not as if she was planning on it, stuff just happens. He probably thinks that what happened to the Gnomes was because of what happened that morning. That he had showed weakness toward her and now there was no hope of getting to know her, or him.

Finally, with all her efforts Sara began to sit up on the bed and discover her hosts. A young female elf stood at the end of her bed staring at her. All Sara’s worries had left her; she was safe with the elves. Yet the girl was not giggling and the post at the end of the bed prevented her from seeing the source. “Hello!” Sara said with a small smile looking at the red haired elf. The woman was about her height she guessed with long straight hair, and wore a white and light yellow dress.

“Hello Protector!” The woman said bowing her head respectfully. “The young ladies have been waiting for you to wake all morning.” The woman ushered four little girls around the bed to her left. Each had the same height and facial features, but their hair was completely different. Each had straight hair but their hair colors were red, blonde, black, and brunette. Each had light purple dresses and stood properly in front of her.

“Hello Protector Saraquine Parkern!” All four of them said at once toward her and bent their head down. Then they started giggling almost in unison as if anticipating each other’s response. Sara just laughed and looked at the other woman who was smiling while nodding her head. The woman looked at Sara still smiling.

“My name is Tomia the ladies caretaker. These are the Elvin Princesses of King Rockert Lunie here at the Elvin City. The red haired one is Nicholie Lunie the oldest of the four. The blonde-haired girl is Dardin Lunie the second oldest. The black haired one is Rumaik Lunie the second youngest, and the brunette is the youngest Leetat Lunie.” All four courtesy as Tami went down the line naming them. “You must forgive them for their intrusion, but they have heard many stories of your family and were very anxious to meet you!”

“It’s okay I don’t mind at all. It was an honor to meet your acquaintance young Elvin Princesses.” Sara smiled at them and then at Tami. The youngest Leetat walked up to Sara and handed her a beautiful flower. “Well thank you Leetat, that is very kind of you!”

“My brother says that you will not be staying very long, is that true.” Sara reached over and put the young girl’s hair behind her ear.

“I’m afraid your brother is correct, I am on an important journey that I cannot be distracted from at this moment. Speaking of which where my companion that I came with. Is he well?” Tami turned and looked at Sara for a second and then all the girls started laughing all at once.

“Jalee is outside sleeping on a chair. He passed out about two hours ago on watch. Would you like me to wake him for you?” Sara thought about it for a moment looking down at the black blanket. He would want to be woken up if she was awake, but he had not slept much in the past two days. Her head turned and looked over to her left. The room was small, the only furniture was the bed and there was a line of windows facing the mountainside. “Madam!”

“No, that’s okay he should sleep. I’ll wake him after I talk to King Lunie.” Sara knew that King Lunie would want to talk with her, and it was only polite to thank her host. The girls moved toward the door as Sara moved the blankets from her and tossed her legs over the side.

“I was asked to give these to you.” Tami said as she picked up something off the floor and sat it on the bed. “This is a dress that the Queen asked me to give you.” She pointed out the white garments, picked up a small bag, and sat it next to the dress. And this is a few things the King asked me to give to you in honor of your mother…Your clothing has a hole and we can not allow a Protector to look so scrappy in the Elvin city, Protector.”

“Thank you!” With that, the Elvin caretaker ushered the children out of the room. Sara reached over, grabbed the bag, and sat it on her lap. She opened the small luggage bag and peered into it. There was a silver brush, and matching mirror and comb with her initials carved on them. Sara sat them down next to her.

All the other things were in boxes, so she picked up the first box and moved the bag on her right. The box was rectangular and long. Sara opened it and her breath was caught in her throat, it was a diamond necklace with black onyx at the end. She closed it and grabbed the next box, which was a small square. They were matching earrings. Sara could not believe someone would give these beautiful things to her, even if she were a Protector. Sara peered back in the bag and found a piece of paper that only had one sentence. ‘Please ware while in the Elvin kingdom,’ probably from the King and Queen of the Elves.

She sat there staring at the dress and boxes before she got up and changed. The dress the queen had provided her almost looked like a robe. There were no sleeves on it or spaghetti straps, but it looked like she was wrapped up in it instead of zipped up, other then that it was very elegant dress. Sara sat down looking down at her feet, she did not have shoes to put on, and it made her feel like a Buddhist monk. After that, she grabbed the mirror and brush and brushed her hair down. It was a lot harder with a hand mirror then a wall one.

Deciding not to even try to put her hair up she grabbed the necklace box and put it on looking once in the mirror. She suddenly felt lucky that Patty allowed her to pierce her ears when she was ten. Then again, she thought sadly, that never happened. Sara’s hand stopped as the last earring was put in. None of her memories had been real until a year ago. She had thought about it before, when it was impossible, but now that it was real, everything seemed different. Saraquine was born with jewels and gowns in, this life. Sara did not have anything growing up, no family, no beautiful gowns or jewels.

Her head shook the thoughts out of her head. The past was the past, her mother had warned her not to be distracted or have doubts. Yet what if all that was a dream and none of it was real, some distant ideas in her mind, of possibility. No, it felt too real to be a dream. If she knew anything it was that, nobody had dreams about people that died fifty years ago, especially their own mother that they do not remember.

Sara stood up taking a deep breath and leaving her things on the bed. As softly as she could she opened the door staring out. There was a long hallway in front of her with doors lining both sides. She stepped out and saw Jalee sitting on a chair next to the door hunched to his side. Sara had not seen him sleep since they left the White Castle. Jalee looked disturbed in his sleep. Almost aggravated and very uncomfortably hunched over.

Without thinking or even an idea of why she knelt down next to him, leaning on the door behind her. Sara looked up on his face and brushed the hair that was there. Her hand grabbed one of his that lay gently on his lap. Holding his hand made her feel good almost complete like when they held hands next to the fire and when they had kissed. She did not know what provoked her to do so, but she did anyway.

There had been something about him from the first day she heard his voice telling her not to move. Jalee was a part of her and yet she did not understand why. What was it about this stranger that made her feel so complete and good? Sara hoped it was in her memories that were locked away in her mind. She wished her memories were back, that way she would know what it was that drew her to him. Even when he is asleep, she wanted him to be closer. There was nothing like this with Brandon or any of her friends. Jalee had never been there for her growing up in foster care or in Tacoma, but he knew her.

The thought was unusual for her to be thinking. Sara smiled and began to stand up from the floor when his hand tightened around hers. Her head swung toward him, his eyes still closed. Could he be awake? His eyes were still shut and breathing normal, but he was mumbling something. Sara bent back slowly and listened carefully; she could barely hear what he mumbled. “I still love you Sara!” She pulled her hand away and stood up staring down at him. He just said he loved her, no that he still loved her.

Who and what was this man?
© Copyright 2009 Cathy (catangel at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1561642-Galaxy-Crystal--Chpt-1516