*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1561980-Untitled-ch-2
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Drama · #1561980
"...Everyone sat there staring at me as if their man had left them for me also...."
As the weeks continue to pass, my uterus continues to grow and the ability to paint my own toe nails becomes an even more distant memory. I waddle like a duck into Miss Dana's hair and nail salon, immediately turning green at the smell of all the fumes in the air.
Miss Dana smiles wide at the sight of me, hand on hip, “Well hey there, honey! How are we doing today?”
It's funny how clever people think they're being sometimes and how proud they are of themselves at the time. Wonder if I should present her with a medal or a cookie?
I smile politely, “One of us has been having some serious heartburn problems. The other is obviously living the good life.”
Next thing I know all the women in the salon are going on and on about heartburn and how that must mean my baby is going to be born with a head full of hair. I just smile, laugh when necessary and chirp in little comical reliefs here and there.
“So Cammile-” a younger blonde of the crowd comes at me, with a touch of snob in her tone.
“Cammie,” I interrupt. Who is this bitch anyway?
“Eh,” she smiles at me as fake as her silicone, “Right. How are things with you and Jimmy Ferguson's oldest boy? Isn't he the father of your unborn child?”
Everyone, even the ones who don't turn around or cut their eyes over at me, listen closely for a response. I hate being in situations where I get to give the people what they want.
“Jarrod Ferguson? Yes, Jarrod and I are together.” I could tell most weren't satisfied with my answer and some were wrestling within themselves not to pry any further.
“Oh, so you are with my ex,” she smirks at me.
Wow. How great it is to be the new girl in town. I can't even tell when I'm in the lion's den.
If I still cared for Jarrod, my blood would be at a steady boil by now. Since I don't, all I gave her was, “Oh, how funny.”
She curls her top lip at me like Elvis, but she didn't thank me. “Yeah, well, it wasn't funny when he left me for you with nothing but a daughter, a pile of bills and a bruise covered body.”
Now everyone was really tuning in.
“I'm sorry to hear that.” What the hell am I supposed to say?? 'Sounds about right!'?
“Don't worry, I'm better off. The one who deserves an apology is his daughter! But Jarrod's such a dirt bag he claims she's not his and refuses to take a DNA test so I can prove his ass wrong!”
Yep, definitely has to be the same guy. What an asshole.
Everyone sat there staring at me as if their man had left them for me also. I was almost sure the little old woman under the hair dryer would pounce on me any second, but the Golden Girl kept her cool. Thankfully.
“Well...I don't know how all that works, but can you get what you need off his toothbrush?”
All the women in the salon smile, almost as if they accomplished a historical milestone for the women's rights movement. Afterwards, women empowerment floated all around the room alongside all the chemical fumes. Then as right as anything, the gossip floated back on in as well.
With Miss Dana's new pedicurist massaging my feet and calves, I glance at Candace's scribbled number in front of me and then tuck it behind my driver's license in my wallet. I flip open my cell and power it up. Nine voice mail messages and pages accompanied by more than 30 text messages. This crazy bastard has got to go.
Before I can flip my phone closed, it starts vibrating on my last nerve.
Power off.
© Copyright 2009 soul_lemonade (rkellymoya at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1561980-Untitled-ch-2