*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1562418-Cassie
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Family · #1562418
Published by Austin and Macauley, April 2009 and on Amazon
When Cassie's mother dies in childbirth, it is her father - Charles, Lord Emerson, - her aunt and the staff of Harrington Hall who raise her.  Cassie has inherited a talent from her mother, that of painting.  She becomes a much sought after portrait painter and has never been happier.  However, her happiness is under threat when a stranger, David, arrives at Harrington Hall from America.  His arrival threatens to expose a secret that has lain undisturbed for twenty years.

When Charles Emerson discovers that he is terminally ill, he divulges the secret to four people, one of whom is David.  After Charles's death they must decide whether to reveal the secret to Cassie and thereby destroy her happiness, or take the secret to their graves.  Each one keeps the secret.

Years later it is Cassie's own daughter who, unknowingly, is in danger of exposing the secret to her mother.

David is only too aware the repercussions this secret would have not only on Cassie, but also on the family.  Can her prevent the secret from being divulged and, more importantly, should he?

This story explores the premise of what 'family' means and that the bonds of loyalty, trust and love are even more important than blood ties.
© Copyright 2009 WL Barrie (wendylb at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1562418-Cassie