*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1563000-Commercial-Break-2
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Drama · #1563000
When you judge by past expriences and not current learnings.
"When You're Wrong"

I never thought it would get this far. Really wasn’t expecting to watch him walk out of my life. But as sure as my name is Sharice Reesy Wilks, he turned around and didn’t look back.

I mean I was right. I knew it like I knew my own birthday. I was not about to let another man walk over me. Couldn’t let him control me, or mislead me. I was not backing down from what I said. And so I held my ground. I stood up straight and marched right up to him without wavering. I didn’t flinch, I didn’t hesitate, no fear in me and looked him right in the eyes.

I asked my man, “Who the hell is Brenda?” And he looked at me as if I had lost my mind. I was pretty close, but wasn’t backing down. What he didn’t know, and what most women fail to obtain, is that I had evidence. Proof that Brenda-what’s her face existed. And that she wasn’t some recent broad either.

The way those texts had been coming in over the last few weeks, they were doing a lot of catching up.

“Reesy, don’t blow this out of proportion. It’s obvious you’ve been through my things again. And I’m not upset with you. I told you I could handle you needing to get it out of your system but you have to give me the benefit of the doubt. Cut me some slack and trust me when I say I can explain Brenda, but you have to calm down so that you can accept the truth.”

“Don’t try and smooth this over by acting all cool like I’m the crazy one. And you’re damn right I’ve been through your stuff. So go ahead and try to explain why Brenda texted you this morning.” I shot back tossing the phone at him.

He caught it in one hand and looked down at the screen. I had left the text up so that he would know I had read it.

“Damn it Sharice. Brenda is my God Sister. Her husband is Muslim and he took her back to his home country after they got married. She’s been overseas for almost two years now.” He explained.

I mean he sounded genuine, but I was no fool. He could’ve made all that up right there on the spot. “So why is she just now contacting you? And why am I just now hearing about her?” I questioned. I had him.

“Sharice, if you’re going to accuse me anyway, then I’m not going to waste my time explaining this. They’re coming back to the states soon and you will get to meet her then. But if you’re not going to trust me, then I feel no need continue.”

Hell no, he was not going to get out of this that easily. I was not the one messing around. “Marcus, don’t stand there and try to play me. You’re seeing some woman named Brenda and now that I caught you on it, you giving me this bullshit story to cover your ass,” I snapped.

“Alright, have it your way. But I’ve dealt with this far longer than any other man would have. I’m sorry you had to deal with some shitty men before me, but I’ve done nothing but show you I’m different with actions and not just words. But I think you need time to figure out whether being in a relationship is the best thing for you right now.”

I hadn’t expected that. And because I was so sure of myself and still trying to call his bluff, I didn’t stop him when he walked out. But I was right was I? I believed I was. I figured if he would go through all the drama just to look believable when he was caught cheating, then I didn’t need him. This is what I told myself when nearly two weeks had passed and we were still playing the silent game.

That’s when I got a reality check and realized I had let a good man walkout the door. Not only was he telling the truth about Brenda but the chick actually sent me documentation of her existence. From Christening announcements, to her birth certificate and pictures of her and Marcus’s childhood. Even pictures of her wedding. And to top it off, she wrote me a very straight forward letter letting me know she did this to show me how wrong I had been.

Now how do I get back the good man I had when I’m the one wrong?
© Copyright 2009 Ms. Rarity (ms.rarity at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1563000-Commercial-Break-2