*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1563836-Summer-of-Grace-Chapter-One
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Drama · #1563836
Changes in Grace's life begin immediately after school ends. Comments definitely needed!
Every girl has a thousand love stories. Small crushes, huge heart breaks, and at least one big mistake. His name was Aiden Collier, and he was the most gorgeous boy I’d ever seen. With dark, perfectly tanned skin, a mop of curly brown hair, and emerald eyes, he captivated me. His perfect white smile never failed to weaken my knees. His lean body was filled out with flawless muscles that had most girls tripping over themselves when they caught a glimpse of him.

Aiden was an unapologetic bookworm, but his outgoing personality and sense of humor seemed to overshadow his nerdy side. He was well liked by nearly everyone, but he never seemed to let his popularity get in the way of old friendships. Between all the parties and sporting events, he still found time to hang out with his childhood friends, most of whom had established strong reputations as nerds. He ignored most the girls who clamored for his attention. Even the prettiest girls didn’t seem to catch his eye. On occasion, he’d date someone, but it was never very serious. Maybe that was why his interest in me that summer came as such a shock.

It started out as a normal summer. Junior year had just ended, and we were all high on freedom. That first night, I sat cross-legged on the grass at Alex Roberts’s house. As usual, I was between my childhood friends, Cara O’Dell and Melanie Calrena. Aiden was sprawled on his back a few feet away, staring at the stars. James Hansen was sitting next to Melanie, his fingers mere centimeters from hers. It was obvious to everyone that James had a huge crush on her. Everyone except for Melanie, of course. Alex sat beside him, talking casually.

Melanie, Cara, and Alex had been my friends for years. It was Alex who introduced me to Aiden and James earlier that year. Since then, the six of us were always together. We had friends outside the group, but it seemed like most of the time, we preferred to be together. Maybe that’s because for the longest time, there was no tension between us. Unfortunately, all good things come to an end.

Cara had been uncharacteristically quiet all night. She was the smart, outgoing beauty type that everyone seemed to be drawn to. She had beautiful, long golden hair with a natural wave that made her seem almost angelic in the right light. Her crystal clear blue eyes sparkled when she laughed, which was a beautiful, musical sound. We’d been friends our whole lives, a result of having best friends for parents. I’d always been jealous of her sociable personality. Mostly because, being shy and quiet, I was overshadowed by her. People saw her as Cara O’Dell and me as Cara O’Dell’s friend.

“Hey, Care Bear,” Aiden said, leaning up on his elbows. His usual white-toothed grin displayed on his perfect face. “Are you okay?”

Cara didn’t smile at his use of her nickname as she usually did. “I’m great,” she said softly.

I looked at her curiously. What was going on? She’d been oddly quiet for months, but now she seemed flat out miserable.

“Cara, what’s wrong?” Aiden asked, his smile morphing into an expression of concern.

“Drop it,” she snapped, getting up to leave.

Cara walked quickly down the hill Alex’s house sat on, headed toward the thick woods at the bottom. I jogged after her, scared to death. Cara was a rock, nothing every got to her. Not ever. I was very aware of Aiden following closely behind me. What is he doing? I wondered, slightly annoyed at his presence.

“Cara, please wait,” he called out, a strange emotion causing his voice to sound strained.

I stopped at the same time Cara did, wondering what I’d heard in his voice and why he cared so much. I watched as Aiden ran to Cara’s side, wrapping her in his arms. As she leaned into him, I made the connection. They were together. The emotion in his voice was pain. He couldn’t stand seeing her upset. My heart felt heavy. What was going on? Why didn’t she tell me about Aiden? How could she do this to me? She knew how I felt about him, didn’t she? I had told her, hadn’t I? As I stood there, trying to put things together, I began to understand where all the confusion was coming from. Cara and I had hardly talked in months. We hung out constantly, but somehow, we’d drifted apart.

I felt a lump rising in my throat as I turned my attention back to my best friend and the boy of my dreams. What I saw bothered me more than anything else did. Cara was crying into Aiden’s chest. Cara never cried, not openly, at least.

“Cara, what the hell is going on?” I asked, my voice shaking with fear and hurt.

Aiden shot me a cold look, warning me to watch my tone. He was right, I should’ve been being more sensitive, but I didn’t want to be patient. I wanted answers.

“My parents are splitting up,” Cara answered, breathing deeply in an attempt to control her tears.

I looked at her in silent shock. The O’Dells were the picture of a perfect family. Mr. O’Dell was a doctor and his wife owned her own successful fashion boutique. They got along perfectly, never fighting. My own parents bickered and argued frequently. I always thought they were the ones struggling, not the O’Dells. I guess you never know what’s going on behind the scenes.

The look on Aiden’s face told me he didn’t know about this either. His green eyes were filled with hurt, concern, and a hint of anger. Cara had kept her secret well hidden, even from him.

“Why didn’t you tell me?” he asked quietly, pulling away from her.

The apparent in hurt in his voice tugged at my heart strings. Cara’s eyes fell to the ground, showing that she too felt the affect of his words.

“I don’t know,” she whispered. “I was afraid to. I didn’t want to ruin what we had.”

“Bull shit,” he snapped.

Cara’s tear-filled blue eyes snapped up, connecting with his for a moment. I knew I should walk away and let them fight without an audience, but my shock kept my feet rooted to the ground.

“I would’ve understood, and you know that,” Aiden told her hotly.

“Aiden, please, I just…” she stopped, looking away again.

“You just what, Cara?” he shouted.

Cara didn’t answer. She just stared at the ground.

“I love you, Cara,” he said softly. “I love you. You can tell me anything, you know that! I’m supposed to be the one you go to when you can’t go to anyone else. If you loved me, you would’ve told me!”

She bit her lip, still staring at her feet. “I’m sorry,” she whispered with tears in her voice.

It was Aiden’s turn to be silent.

“I don’t love you, Aiden,” Cara told him quietly.

Aiden stared at her for a long moment before he turned and walked silently away. I watched him go. When he disappeared from view, I turned back to Cara. I shifted uncomfortably, unsure of whether I should stay or go. I took a step away.

“Please don’t go,” Cara pleaded.

“Okay,” I whispered.

We stood there, at the edge of the woods, locked in an awkward silence. I didn’t know whether to hug her or be angry with her. She’d kept so many secrets from me. We were supposed to be friends. Then again, I’d kept things from her too. I didn’t tell her how I felt about Aiden. I didn’t tell her when I started dating my first boyfriend, Mark Landson, or when we broke up. I didn’t tell her when my parents had a huge fight and my dad walked out, staying away for a whole weekend. Why would she trust me when I’d made it so painfully obvious that I didn’t trust her?

“Do you wanna talk about it?” I asked finally.

“About what? Breaking up with my boyfriend or my parents’ divorce?” she asked hostilely.

“Whichever,” I answered.

“I’ve seen in coming for a long time,” she said. “But I always thought they’d get past it. I told myself it was just a phase.”

“What happened?” I asked tentatively.

Cara shrugged. “They just weren’t happy. They got married too young. Didn’t get to experience life like they wanted, I guess.”

“I’m sorry, Cara.”

“Me too.”

Cara sat on the ground, pulling her knees to her chest. I sat cross-legged beside her, squeezing her arm gently.

“This thing with Aiden was just supposed to be fun. It was never meant to be serious. I just needed to get my mind off everything. And when I was with him, it all kind of just faded away, you know?”

“Yeah,” I said. With my family always arguing, I understood the need for a release.

“I didn’t think he’d actually fall for me. It’s kind of weird, really. Usually it’s the girl who makes it more serious than it is. I never wanted to be with him, not forever. But recently, he’s been so dedicated. He’s been talking about how much he loves me and doesn’t want to ever be without me. It’s just too much. I don’t have anything to give him. I feel empty.” Cara burst into tears again.

I felt my heart break into a thousand pieces for her, for her family, for Aiden. I put an arm around her shoulders in an attempt to comfort her. She leaned against me, sobbing openly. I rested my head against hers, allowing a few tears to slide down my own cheeks. It’s funny how one night can change your life so drastically. You never see it coming and sometimes you don’t even realize it’s happening. Suddenly, you just wake up and everything is completely different. It’s unnerving.

Cara and I sat in the grass for a long time, just talking. I hadn’t realized how far apart we’d grown. It was almost like we barely knew each other anymore. She told me about all the crushes she’d had in the past year. I was surprised at how badly she wanted attention. She’d always been very independent. She was perfectly content with being left alone in peace and silence. Yet another quality I envied. I longed for human contact most of the time. I felt comfortable knowing someone was there, even if no one spoke. I guess it’s just that I need to feel like I’m not alone.

I’m not sure what possessed me, but I found myself telling her about my feelings for Aiden. How when he looked at me, my heart pounded and I couldn’t breathe. And when he spoke, my knees went weak. I was beginning to regret bringing up the subject, but when I looked at Cara, she was grinning.

“You should go for it,” she said.

“What?”

“You and Aiden would be great together. I think you’re the kind of girl he needs.”

"But you guys just broke up like 20 minutes ago."

Cara shrugged. "Like I said, I wasn't that into it. I just feel bad for hurting him. He is still my friend."

Newfound hope lightened my spirit, but I couldn’t let go of my doubt. “No,” I said, shaking my head. “There’s no way he’d be interested in me. Not after dating you.”

“What do you mean?” she asked, looking shocked.

Did she not know the effect she had on boys? How could she not know? “It’s just, you’re absolutely gorgeous,” I said.
Cara laughed. “Gracie, stop it! You’re way prettier!”

I shook my head. “No way! Guys notice you all the time. I mean, you’re pretty, and you have this amazing, bubbly personality. They’re never looking at me unless they’ve figured out that the best way to a girl’s heart is through her best friend.”

“Maybe, they’re all looking at me because they’re trying to get to you.”

I laughed. “I doubt it.”

“Seriously, Grace,” Cara said, fixing me in her intense blue gaze. “He needs a sweet, smart, pretty girl like you. He doesn’t want a girl who does her own thing just because she wants to make a scene. He wants someone who will go with the flow, but isn’t afraid to be different when it matters. I’m too independent for him. I’ve never wanted a serious relationship, but you are a romantic. He’d love that about you. You want to be able to depend on people, mostly because you don’t let yourself.”

I was silent. She was right. She knew me better than I knew myself sometimes. “Don’t you want that too?” I asked.

“Sometimes,” she said, looking away. “But that’s why I have you.”

I smiled and hugged my friend. Even if we had fallen out of touch, at least we had a chance to fix it, right?

“Seriously,” she said. “Go for it.”

It seemed strange to me the Cara was pushing me to date a guy she’d just broken up with, but I tried not to focus on that. She was giving me an opportunity to be with the biggest crush of my life. I wasn’t going to pass that up.

After a long time, we stood up, facing Alex’s house at the top of the hill. I glanced at Cara. Her face was a mask of confidence once again. I knew inside, she was a wreck, but somehow her face and body language gave the impression that everything was perfect.

“This was never supposed to happen,” she said distantly, her blue eyes locked on the house. “Not to me.”

“I know,” I told her.

“I mean, I always thought that if anyone would get divorced, it would be your parents,” she said. “This was supposed to be your problem. Not mine.

I felt a spark of anger ignite somewhere inside me. I bit my lip, holding back tears. I reminded myself that she was having a bad day and she didn’t mean it. I followed Cara up the path, back to the house, still struggling with my temper.

I stopped when we reached the top of the hill, watching as she waved happily to the others. Aiden was staring into the fire pit, the flames casting a warm glow on his heart broken expression. He looked up, watching Cara disappear.

“You okay?” Alex asked, suddenly at my side.

Tears prickled in the corners of my eyes. “I have to go,” I said softly.

“Grace, wait,” Alex whispered. “What happened?”

“Everything just changed,” I told him. “I’ll talk to you tomorrow.

I walked away with one last glance at the scene behind me. Aiden was still staring into the fire. Melanie’s face was turned toward the stars, unaware of the love struck look in James’s eyes as he stared at her. Alex was standing where I’d left him, watching me leave.

~*~*~*~


Alex called me the next morning. I could hear the concern in his voice. I agreed to meet at the reserve to talk. I was happy to have someone to talk to. Alex had always been there for me in a way that no one else had.

“Hey, Gracie,” he said with a smile when he saw me.

“Hey,” I replied, giving him a hug.

“You look better,” he said, studying my face.

I smiled. “You worry too much.”

He shrugged. We began to wander down a path in comfortable silence. I watched Alex out of the corner of my eye. His dark eyes studied the trees surrounding us.

“Cara’s parents are getting divorced,” I said suddenly.

Alex’s eyes snapped to my face. “The O’Dell’s? They always seem so together, though.”

“I know,” I said. “I guess you never really know.”

“Did she give a reason or anything?”

“No. I didn’t ask. All she said was they were getting a divorce. And that this was something that should have happened to me.”

Anger flashed in Alex’s chocolate eyes. “She said that?”

I nodded, looking away. I had tried to shrug off Cara’s comment, but the truth was it hurt.

“Grace, don’t worry about that, all right? Your parents love each other. They fight from time to time, but they always make up.”

“What if someday they don’t?”

“That won't happen.”

I bit my lip, staring at the ground. “I hope you’re right.”

“I am,” he replied confidently.

“Did you know Cara and Aiden were together?” I asked eager to change the subject.

“No. How long have they been together?”

I shrugged. “All I know is they broke up last night. Right after Cara told us her parents were getting divorced.”

“That’s just like him,” Alex said bitterly. Ever since Aiden had broken up with Alex’s sister, Liana, they hadn’t been getting along. I couldn’t blame Alex, though. Aiden put her through a lot.

“She broke up with him, actually,” I told him.

“Really?”

“Mhm. She broke up with him right after he said he loved her.”

“They’re perfect for each other,” Alex muttered, acrimoniously.

“What do you mean?” I asked.

“The two of them go through life having a great time, not caring who they hurt.”

I thought about this for a moment. Alex was right. There was never a short of guys competing for Cara’s affection. She used this to her advantage, feeding off the attention. When she got bored, she simply moved onto a new set of admirers. Aiden was the same way. He was careless with every relationship he had, knowing that he could always find someone new. My heart sank at this realization. It meant that there was no hope for me.

“Maybe he just hasn’t found the right girl,” I said softly.

Alex stopped, staring at me.

“What?” I asked nervously.

“You like him,” Alex said slowly. “Don’t you?”

“I-I don’t know. I guess.”

“Grace, be careful, okay?”

I smiled, relieved. “I will.” Alex hadn’t torn me down. Did that mean I had a chance? Or that he just didn’t want to hurt my feelings?


When I pulled in to my driveway that afternoon, I was surprised to see Aiden standing on the doorstep. I got out of my car slowly, approaching him cautiously.

“Aiden?” I said softly, stopping a few feet away from my doorstep.

“Hey, Grace,” he whispered. He smiled sadly and my heart twisted in my chest.

“What are you doing here?”

He shrugged. “I wanted to see you.”

“Why?”

Aiden’s emerald eyes shifted to the pavement for a moment, then back to me. “I just don’t want to be alone right now.” His voice, raw with pain, tugged at my heartstrings.

“Come inside,” I said, stepping toward him. I put a hand on his shoulder, squeezing it gently. He followed me through the door, into the kitchen.

Aiden sat down at the table, keeping his eyes on the table. I studied his face as I filled two glasses with water. His teeth were clenched, accentuating the beautiful curve of his jaw. His hair cast a shadow over his eyes. The image was heartbreaking, and yet, I felt like I could stand there forever, staring at him.

“Are you okay?” I asked, pulling a chair close to his. I slid a glass of water in front of him.

Glancing at the glass briefly, Aiden shrugged. “I guess I’m just having trouble grasping the whole thing,” he said in a soft, uneven voice.

I bit my lip, unsure of what to say. I sat, looking at his tan face, waiting for him to go on.

“It’s just weird, you know? Telling someone you love her, and watching her just shrug it off like it doesn’t mean anything.”

“I know what you mean,” I said quietly.

His eyes shot up from the table. “Do you?” His tone was cold, almost angry.

I looked away. “My first serious boyfriend didn’t care nearly as much as I did.”

“Landson?”

I nodded.

“You never told me what happened,” Aiden said softly, his green eyes searching my face.

“I didn’t tell anyone,” I said. “I don’t know if I really loved him, but I cared about him more than anything. I would’ve done anything for him. I thought he felt the same way about me. But…” I stopped.

“He didn’t,” Aiden finished.

I shook my head. “After awhile, I think he got bored with the relationship, you know? He started hanging out with other girls, ignoring me. I tried to pretend I didn’t see it. But how could I not? We agreed to end it. Neither of us really gave a reason, but I’m not an idiot.”

“I’m sorry, Gracie,” Aiden said softly. “Why did you keep that to yourself?”

I met his eyes. “I don’t know. It hurt too much, I suppose.”

Aiden nodded slowly. “I guess I should’ve known Cara and I weren’t for real. At first, it wasn’t serious for either of us, you know? It was supposed to be for fun. Somewhere along the way, I guess I fell for her. I just assumed she felt the same.”

I squeezed his hand. “She’s just so independent. She can’t stay in one place for very long. She’s always looking for something new and exciting. It doesn’t have anything to do with you as a person.”

“Thanks, Grace,” Aiden said softly. “I needed this.”

I smiled. “No problem.”

“I have to get to work. I’ll see you tomorrow?”

I nodded. “Sure.”

“See you.” He stood up, flashing me a white smile.

“See you,” I said breathlessly.

I walked Aiden to the door, wishing with all of my heart that he could see me as he saw Cara. He hugged me tightly. I returned his embrace, feeling his breath on my hair. I wanted to remain in his arms forever, but he pulled away, walking to his car. I stood on the stoop, watching him drive away.

~*~*~*~


The next few weeks passed uneventfully. I was vaguely aware that Cara was avoiding me. She rarely returned my phone calls. When she did, we spoke very briefly. She always had some excuse to avoid seeing me. For the first few days, it bothered me, but then she faded to the back of my mind. This was because Aiden began showing up on my doorstep everyday, dragging me around town. We went to movies, hung out with friends, walked in the reserve, or simply sat on my door step talking. The more we were together, the more I longed for his presence.

We went to an outdoor concert for one. His friends Charlie Gearson and Max Linemen came with us. I recognized them from school, but I didn’t know them well. They greeted me cheerfully, each crushing me in a hug as if we were old friends. I wasn’t familiar with any of the bands playing. The boys were obviously big fans, shouting lyrics and dancing manically.
Charlie shouted something about getting drinks. Max nodded emphatically. Aiden just shrugged. Charlie set off across the grass, followed by an enthusiastic Max. Aiden watched them leave. Then, he turned to me, those piercing green eyes locked onto mine.

“You look beautiful tonight,” he whispered, tracing my cheek.

I smiled, feeling myself blush slightly. My heart was pounding so loudly I was afraid it would escape.

“I haven’t been able to stop thinking about you, Grace,” he said.

“Neither have I,” I said, unable to breathe.

I tried to focus on getting air into my lungs, but then he leaned a little closer. I could feel his warm breath on my face. His hand slipped around the back of my neck. His soft lips pressed against mine. My head spun as my heart pounded faster. He kissed me harder, pulling me into him. I kissed him back, my heart soaring.

Aiden pulled away, stroking my cheek. His green eyes gazed into mine. He smiled warmly. I smiled back, butterflies fluttering violently in my stomach.

Charlie returned with four water bottles in hand. Max trailed behind him with two more. Charlie flung one to Aiden, who caught it. Aiden unscrewed the cap, drinking deeply. Max handed one to me. I studied the red liquid within.

“What is it?” I asked.

“Gatorade,” Charlie said with a sly grin.

Max rolled his eyes. “It’s spiked,” he said. “Just to warn you.”

“With what?”

“Vodka,” Charlie said, still grinning.

I stared at the bottle in my hand. I’d never really been a drinker. I glanced at Aiden. He smiled at me. I opened the bottle, taking a sip. I choked as the strong taste of alcohol filled my mouth, burning my throat.

Charlie laughed, taking a swig of his own bottle. I watched as he and Max down the liquid. Their words became slurred and their dancing more erratic than before. Aiden drank his more slowly, but the effect was the same. They often collapsed in drunken fits of laughter. I could help laughing at the sight of the boys rolling in the grass, holding their sides.

“You don’t have to drink that,” Aiden slurred, suddenly beside me.

I looked at the bottle and then at him. I gave him what I hoped was a confident, mysterious smile, taking a large swallow. It burned a little less this time, but I felt myself grimace. Aiden laughed, pulling me toward him and kissing me again.
© Copyright 2009 desertrose (xinspiredx at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1563836-Summer-of-Grace-Chapter-One