*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1564381-A-Heroic-Young-Dog
Rated: E · Short Story · Other · #1564381
A young puppy saving it's mistress from kidnappers.
Hi! I’m Rosebud, a five month old female golden retriever. I’ve been adopted by a wealthy family. My mistress, Elena, takes good care of me, and occasionally spoils me. I have my own room in the mansion, and servants to clean up after me. Life in luxury is great!
I just remembered, the reason I came here is to talk to you about the time I saved Elena from kidnappers.
It was a stormy night, Elena had just tucked me into my bed next to hers, and (she keeps me in her room on stormy nights) I had nearly fallen asleep. She crawled into bed and sang me a lullaby. I fell asleep instantly and didn’t hear a thing until midnight.
Three men walked into the room quietly, but that was no match for my super-good hearing. They had a sack with them and smelled like garbage cans. I whimpered and crouched down in my bed. One man said something in another language and took a hanky out of his pocket. After soaking it with something that smelled like knock-out gas, he covered Elena’s mouth with it and I heard a faint scream. It was muffled by the hanky, but it was Elena’s scream. The men picked her up and put her into stinky sack, then they ran out of the room.
For five minutes I didn’t move or do a thing, then I came to my senses and jumped out of my bed. I dashed downstairs and out the doggy-door. It was raining cats and dogs, but I only cared for my precious Elena’s safety. I ran out into the rain and tried to pick up Elena’s scent. After ten minutes of smelling the wet ground, I finally picked up her scent. I gave a puppy-howl and started running.
I soon came to a crossroad junction and lost her scent. It was raining harder than before and I could only smell rain and a stinky bag.
‘That’s it!’ I thought. ‘Elena was carried away in a smelly sack, maybe that’s the smell! Time to follow that smell and show those no-good mistress-nappers what puppy-power is all about!’
I ran after that smell and soon found myself in a scary alley, if Elena was with me, she’d say that a puppy like me had no place in a scary alley like that. But Elena wasn’t there and I needed to save her. I found a door and pawed at it until it opened. In there, I saw Elena tied up and looking miserable. I walked over to her and licked her hand. She looked down at me and smiled happily.
“Rosebud!” she exclaimed quietly. “You came to save me! I’m so happy to see you, but you must run away. These men want a ransom for me. Tell Father that I’m kidnapped and he needs to follow you. Go! Run out of here before those men find you!”
Though I didn’t understand what ‘ransom’ meant, I assumed that it meant something bad. Like no more lullabies, or no more doggie treats. Anyway, I ran out of the door then remembered why I came here in the first place. I needed to rescue my beloved mistress. I ran back in and over to Elena’s chair. There I started chewing my way through the ropes, though they tasted like dirty water, I knew that I would be able to save her. I chewed away at those ropes for a good fifteen minutes before all of them fell off. Then I pulled at Elena’s nightgown and we both ran out.
We ran all the way back home and called the police. After they caught the men, Elena and I crawled back into our beds. As soon as our heads hit the pillow, Elena’s alarm clock rang and I started barking at it. I never liked interruptions during my beauty sleep, and this time was no exemption. Elena reached over and pressed the alarm clock and it stopped ringing, she ruffled my fur and fell asleep.

If you think about it, I was a little hero wasn’t I? I saved my mistress, and no one helped me. Pretty good for a young pup, huh? I’m now fully grown and one of the best show dogs in the country, and Elena still treats me like a little puppy. Oh, it’s my turn to go on stage and give a performance now, I’ll come back and tell you more stories later. DON’T think about mistress-napping my Elena. I have my nose and ears on you. Ruff!
© Copyright 2009 Charmaine (charmainelim at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1564381-A-Heroic-Young-Dog