*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1564688-Singular-Certainty
Rated: E · Essay · Philosophy · #1564688
Briefly covers the uncertainties of existence and the resultant necessity of conformism.
Something I wrote in high school. Tried my best to sound like philosophy articles I read as examples. No, I don't actually believe everything here. (;


    The only certainty, the only absolute truth in life that can be accepted with certainty is this, you exist. The manner in which you exist, be it part of a universal consciousness or as another person's thoughts or even as some metaphysical manifestation is irrelevant to this end. To have even a semblance of thought or illusion of life, this existence is compulsory.

    So ‘what’ are we? This of course is a predecessor to ‘who’ are we. And the final question begged is ‘why’ are we. Well, as of what we are, we are life. That is, we are at least one of the incarnations of existence which is more than static. Who are we? This contains no exact replies. Precision is impossible in the face of mountainable obscurity. This ‘who,’ the first unanswerable step in mankind’s quest for the existential, is the drive of every religion, scientific discovery, and rallying cause. “Why are we” is entirely subjective. Personally, I uphold the existence of God. Others may swear by impersonal happenstance, governed solely on the laws of the galaxy unregulated by deity. Others accept more abstract theories. Many hold no preference in any direction.

    But it all comes full circle back to that question. Who am I? The secondary purpose of society, aside from preserving humanity on a large scale, seems to be to answer this question for its denizens. Communisms appeal comes only partially from the equality it offers. The rest of the temptation stems from the absolute, rigidly set responsibility a communist has to his country. But even in America, the people are given a proper place with everyone held to far ranging expectations and standards. Ones appearance, past actions, and born status or race are all factors in the equation to determine how we are viewed.
   
    This labeling is not consistent. In any given situation, a person varies who he is or at the very least how he acts. So among different groups people sport different labels. Can the assigners be blamed for performing a primary function of society? Can I blame the world for boxing me in? How could the world function without assumptions based on stereotypes? It would not… at least not as we know it. People cannot feasibly wait to get to know someone before forming opinions on them. This is why racially profiling is acceptable. Labeling is a necessity in a modern world. Humans are in a world of such uncertainty and only one certainty. Can anything else be expected?

    But if people were offered the opportunity of self-definition this would seem to compromise the non-conformist and the practicalistic opinions. People don’t have the necessary tools to do this, however. Introspection is far more difficult then evaluating an outside individual. Further, an individual is generally going to be either overly harsh or overly forgiving on themselves, seeing as objectivity is certainly not present in such a grading. Inaccurate assumptions will be even more prevalent with such a system then they are now! I shall take myself as an example. Any self definitions I create will be too vague and ambiguous for society to digest as information.

      I am a Christian. Definition one. This is simple enough, and many assumptions come with it. But I am also an evolutionist, a moralist, a utilitarian. The spectrum of who I am or may be would generally shrink with those three words. But in the context of Christian, it expands my horizon as these are uncommon couples. I am a moralist. Definition two. Should it be assumed that I am some sort of philosopher, then? No. My moralism is in the context of this paper and very few others. Even from minute to minute our self-conceptions shift. As you can see, from the first two of my personal evaluations little can be learned.
         
    Let society judge me. By that, I’m a square. My interests, hobbies, certain aspects of my lifestyle can be drawn from that one word ‘square’ which has been placed upon me. Let the world box me, judge me, define me. I know so little about myself that I shall accept whatever offers clarity. Most people who are grasping for understanding will appreciate even irrational answers to their questions. Who am I to condemn others assumptions of ‘who I am’ when I cannot even answer it myself?
         
    I am life. I am dying. I am light. I am in darkness. I am muted. I speak my mind. I am all of this or none of this or some of this. Do I know? I know I exist. And that is enough.
© Copyright 2009 Preston J. Daniels (spockman at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1564688-Singular-Certainty