*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1565453-Joes-Ride
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Molly
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Sci-fi · #1565453
A ride into eternity
This version of the story was published in Southern Ocean Review . The ending is different from the first version in my port.

The red Viper screeched to a halt. The back tires were spinning as the driver threw it in reverse to check out the dark silhouette she just sped past.

She leaned over and opened the passenger’s door and asked, “Hey, need a ride?”

Joe leaned down to answer. “Yeah, that would be great.” He put a leg through the door, sliding into the leather seat. “What a cool ride.”

“It gets me where I need to go.” She took a drag of her cigarette. “You smoke?”

“No. Didn’t your mother ever tell you not to pick up strangers?”

She turned her body toward his, her fiery red hair was pulled back into a ponytail, and her emerald eyes were beguiling.

“What’s your name?” She extended her hand.

“Joe.” He reached out to shake hers.

“I’m Luci with an I.” She gripped his hand as they shook. “Now we know each other.”

“You’re not like any other girl I’ve ever met.”

“Trust me. I’m an original. So, why are you out walking in the dark?” Luci started the engine and burned rubber as she drove away.

“I hit a tree about a mile back, and my cell phone battery is dead.” Joe reached up and felt his head. “I must've hit my head.” He felt the soreness and the dried blood on his forehead. “So, where are you headed?”

“I like to take little excursions now and then. Just go where ever the fate takes me.” She reached over, squeezing Joe’s thigh.

How did I get so lucky? Joe looked down at her hand.

“What about you? Are you an original?” She caressed his leg with one hand and steered with the other.

“I guess I'm your average twenty-five- year old.” Joe began to sweat. Don’t say anything stupid. He wiped his damp hands on his pant leg.

“Do you believe in love at first sight or soul mates?” Luci began to move her hand further up his thigh.

“Yeah, I guess.” Joe’s heart was thumping, his palms sweating, and his mouth dry.

Luci stopped on a bridge, slid over against Joe, pressing her chest against his arm. She gazed into his eyes. “You wanna be my soul mate, Joe? “

Joe leaned in to give her a kiss as he whispered, “Yes.”

Luci put her hand over his lips. “Can I have your soul Joe?”

“I’ll give you anything you want, Luci.”

She took her hand away from his lips and kissed him. She started the engine and drove off into the dusky night.

Joe shivered as he pulled his jacket tighter around him. “Cold chill,” he said.

“Don't worry; we're going where it's always warm.” Luci smiled.






© Copyright 2009 Molly (gooble at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1565453-Joes-Ride