*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1566366-Far-Sighted-Ch-8-Kings-Canyon
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Fantasy · #1566366
Imagine what she would do if she found out she was wolfen as well.
Chapter 8

King’s Canyon

         Four days of traveling passed before Sir William and Charles recognized a landmark, indicating the presence of the canyon. 

         “We only have a few more miles.”

         I inwardly breathed a sigh of relief.  It wasn’t the constant travel that had worn me down, I was used to that.  It was the fear that constantly crept up my spine, fear that Sir William or Charles might change at any moment into their wolf form.  I didn’t know if I could handle it again.  It might cause me to go over the edge, and I think they sensed that, for they never changed.

         Sir William had become especially sensitive to my moods, and kept his distance.  He rarely spoke to me and when he did it was brief and to the point.  Charles, on the other hand, was the complete opposite. He attempted to hold long, in depth conversations as we walked, abandoning Sir William to walk on his own for hours at a time. 

         Charles had been trying to interest me in the habits of wolf life, a subject, needless to say, I found uncomfortable.  He found pleasure in describing the order of leadership and the roles of each member of the pack.  He talked about it as if it were commonplace. 

         It was when he began describing the hunt and how the alpha had rights to the heart and liver of the felled beast when I knew I could take no more.  I tried to look disinterested, looking away and letting my eyes wander, just hoping he would stop.

         Our eyes met by chance, and I knew Sir William would intercede on my behalf, though I would never ask it of him.  He slowed his pace, allowing us to catch up before he stepped in.

         “Charles…”

         My vision went black. 

         “Adanna?”  Sir William noticed right away when I stopped in my tracks.  “What’s wrong?”

         “I can’t see anything.”  My voice sounded calm, but my mind was in a panic.  Had I gone blind?  How could it have happened so quickly?

         “Okay, just calm down.”  Sir William urged me to sit, guiding me to a nearby boulder.

         “Wait…I think I see something.”  The darkness was not as thick as I had first thought.  There was a blur of yellow light in the distance.  There was scuffling and clicks in the darkness and I jumped as a cold, wet object glided against my upper arm.

         Sir William’s hands came up and covered the chills that had risen on my arms.  In that instant my vision returned.  Charles stood just behind Sir William, who knelt beside me.

         “It’s back?”

         I nodded, not sure I trusted my voice not to betray the panic I felt.

         “Maybe we should rest for a while.  The journey hasn’t been easy on you.”

         “No, I’m alright.  We should keep going.  You said we’re almost there so we might as well find a semi-permanent camp sight while we still have light.”

         “Are you sure?”  Sir William reached to touch my arm, but withdrew his hand when he saw me draw away.  I hated that my fear still got the best of me.  Trying to rid myself of the almost unreasonable fear towards Sir William’s and Charles’ wolf form.

         “I’m fine.”  I was short with him.  Why’d he always have to question me like that?  He’d been incessant these past days.

         “Come, brother,” Charles clapped Sir William on the shoulder.  “She looks no worse for wear anyway and the canyon is only a few miles further.”

         Sir William nodded his assent and started forward, not looking to see if we followed.

         Charles offered his hand, which I ignored as I stood.

         We walked side by side for the remaining miles in silence.  We reached the canyon and began our search for somewhere suitable to set up camp when Charles finally spoke. 

         “You still fear us.”  It wasn’t a question and he didn’t look all that upset.

         Telling the truth was hard, but I decided it was better they know.  “It’s odd.  I trust you and in my mind I know I shouldn’t fear you, but I do.  The best way I can think to explain it is that I’m afraid because to you, the predator, I’m the prey.  Logically I know you would never hurt me and you’ve told me that you have complete control when in that form, but I can’t help it.”

         Charles started to laugh.  I wanted to slap him silly, except he was already silly enough.  He started laughing so hard Sir William turned to see what had his brother practically rolling around on the ground.  When he saw nothing that would have caused such a fierce reaction he made his way over.

         “Charles?”

         “I’m sorry…it just…” He could barely speak he was laughing so hard.

         “What’s so funny?” 

         When he saw Charles couldn’t answer him he turned to me.  I wanted badly to turn and ignore him, but I shrugged my shoulders instead, averting my eyes.

         “Well?”

         Charles was finally coming under control.  “She--She says her fear is a prey’s response to a predator.”  Barely able to get through the sentence, he started cracking up again.

         I thought I saw a slight smile cross Sir William’s face, but if it had been there it was gone in an instant.  He turned to his brother and gave him a warning scowl.

         I was confused.  Why did Charles find it so funny?  It made me wish I had never confided in him.  And why had Sir William looked at his brother like that?

         “Come on, William.  You have to admit, that’s kind of funny.”

         A stinging behind my eyes announced the beginning of tears.  I wasn’t about to cry in front of these two.  Clenching my fists, trying to turn my shame to anger.  I strode quickly away in the direction we had come.

         I heard a thump, then Charles.

         “Ouch!  What did you do that for?  It was funny.”

         “It wasn’t to her.  She doesn’t understand, Charles.  She’s wondering why she even confided in you.”

         “I didn’t mean to hurt her feelings.  Why don’t you just tell her?”

         “I don’t think she’s ready.”

         “So she’ll just wake up one morning…different, look in the mirror and what?  Accept what she is?”

         “Don’t you think I know it could be dangerous if she finds out like that?  I just can’t tell her yet.  She’s in too much of a fragile state right now.  After all she’s been through in these past weeks, this will send her over the edge.”

         “Maybe you’re right and maybe you’re wrong.  Only time will tell.  But she needs to be told, and soon.”

         I had gone a ways, listening to their conversation as it was carried down the canyon.  I stopped abruptly when a growl had me reeling backward.  A rough, scraggly, brown wolf crouched not two feet away, teeth bared.

         Before I could react, two more wolves bounded past from behind.  I recognized the wolf forms of Sir William and Charles.  They placed themselves in front of me, barring the brown wolf’s path.  They were growling and baring their own teeth, warning the lone wolf back.

         My heart leapt in my chest when six more wolves stepped up behind the first, each looking as fierce as the leader.  Instinct took over and I ran.

         I didn’t get far before two more wolves stopped my flight.  They snarled and slowly advanced.  I turned to run back to the protection of Sir William and Charles when something rammed into my back.  Losing my footing, I reached out to break my fall.  I managed to turn over, only to find the wolves standing over me.  A scream was on my lips when a dark streak flew by, knocking the two wolves away.  I sat up and pulled myself against the canyon wall to watch as Sir William snapped at my attackers.

         “Can we not settle this as men?”

         I turned toward the unfamiliar voice to find a tall, muscular, mussed man standing at the head of the pack.  His brown hair hung loosely at his shoulders, his clothes were in a disastrous state, dirtied and torn.  His deep golden eyes were piercing as they stared at Charles, now human.

         The rest of the man’s pack were quick to follow the example of their alpha and shift to their human form.  Sir William was the last to shift, still wary of the unfamiliar pack.  I could now see that the pack, consisting of nine members, boasted seven males and only two females, all in the same disarrayed state as their leader. 

         Now in his human form, Sir William unsheathed his sword. 

         “Now what do you  plan to do with that?” one female challenged.

         Sir William refused to answer, raising the sword in response.

         “Do you really think that will do much good if we want you dead?  It’s nine against two, friend.  Odds not in your favor.”

         “I wouldn’t bet on that, friend.”

         “And you forgot to count the lady,” Charles added.

         “The lady?  She’s naught but…”  He stopped abruptly and sniffed the air.  “Ah, a young one.  Not past her first…”  He stopped to smell again.  “This is interesting.  What’s your story, friends?”

         “I think an explanation is warranted on your side.  What are you doing on these lands, and in particular, in this canyon?  They are the lands of the Royal Pack,” Sir William challenged.

         “The Royal Pack hasn’t claimed these lands in nearly twenty years.  We thought it was a convenient hunting ground, seeing as the deer pass through on their way to better grazing.  We never meant to trespass.”

         Charles had a thoughtful expression on his face and posed a question to the alpha.  “What are you doing here though?  The only other pack in this area is the Night Pack.”

         “They’re rogue,” Sir William supplied.

         “Rogue?  Now that’s kinda catchy.  How ‘bout it gang.  Shall we christen ourselves the Rogue Pack?”  The pack responded with grunts and nods of approval.

         He turned his attention back to Sir William.  “As to how we came here, there’s not much to tell.  We, most of us anyway, were lone wanderer’s, outcasts from other packs to the north.  We happened upon each other in different places and circumstances and eventually we all came together.  So, now you have our story, what’s yours?”

         “We’re on the run.”

         “Charles!”  Sir William looked distrustful.

         “Fugitives is it?  From the law, pack, or something worse?”

         Sighing in defeat, Sir William provided, “From the Barbarian King’s invading armies.”

         “From something worse then.  How’d you end up on his bad side?”

         “He has a very curious and cruel general who’s interested in our lady friend.”  Charles seemed at ease with the pack, his guard lax and his stance relaxed.

         “She is a beauty.”

         “Not that kind of interested.”  Sir William was holding back anger, whether directed toward the pack leader or at the memory of the general I couldn’t say.  “He spent two weeks torturing us, convinced we were hiding some secret.”

         “And you were,” the alpha smiled slyly.

         Sir William gave him a look that dared him to say more.

         “Well, if you need a place to lay low for a while you are welcome to our hospitality.  We don’t have much to offer but food and shelter, but it’s better than being on the run.”

         “You invite us to stay on our own lands?”  Sir William was outraged, but Charles cut him short.

         “We are grateful for the offer and would like to take you up on it.”

         “Very well, follow me if you please.”

         I tried to stay as far away from the wolf men as possible, but I found that to be difficult as they surrounded us.  Charles was all talk and I learned the names of the pack members as everyone introduced themselves.  It was hard to remember the names of all nine males, but the leader was called Ty.  George, Humphrey, Allen, Henry and Cory were other names I heard, but couldn’t put faces to.  The two women were called Susan and Irene.

         Charles and Ty kept the conversation going while Sir William glared into the distance.  I tried to forget the fear that held fast at my insides.  Trying to distract myself, I looked up to stare at the canyon and the intricate rock formations. 

         “I think I’ve been here before.”  It was only a whispered thought, but Sir William turned to me.

         “That’s not possible.  You never left the monastery in your years there, and I’ve been with you since.  You couldn’t have come here before.”

         “But I have.  I recognize it.”

         Freezing in my tracks, the pieces came together.  How was it possible?

         The female, I think it was Susan ran into me before she could stop herself.  “Somethin’ the matter hun?”

         “Huh?  Oh…no nothing.”  I continued walking under the close scrutiny of Sir William, the others having brushed off my odd behavior.

         Ty led us to a deep, cool cave.  “We all sleep here while the sun is still high.  We go out to hunt once the moon rises.  You’re welcome to find a place and curl up.”

         Charles took Ty aside and whispered quietly to him.  I could only catch a few phrases of what he said.  “We would appreciate it if you would stay in your human form while in Adanna’s presence.  She’s skittish around even our wolf forms.”

         Ty nodded.  “Perhaps one day you wouldn’t mind telling me your story, particularly hers.”

         “Perhaps.”  They moved deeper in to the cave still whispering, deep in discussion.

         Sir William stepped over, and I nearly flinched.  He handed me bed firs and a small piece of lightly cooked meat. 

         “You should eat and rest.  It’s been a long journey.”  He looked crestfallen and tired.  He walked off, probably to find his own meal and bed, leaving me to find a place to sleep.  I looked around to find most of the space taken up by the pack and I didn’t want to sleep next to them. 

         I tensed as Susan and Irene approached.  I saw now that Susan was the elder with streaks of silver beginning to color her light brown hair.  She had stormy blue eyes and tanned skin from years in the sun.  Irene was a dirty blond with sea green eyes, slightly plumper than Susan’s stick thin frame.  She sported the same sun tanned skin as all the pack, and a few wrinkles at her eyes.

         “If you’d like there’s a little more privacy in the back of the cave.  We convinced the men to move out.  We’re both mated so you needn’t worry about being cramped.”

         I thanked them quietly and maneuvered my way to the rear of the cave.  Discovering two separate passages, I took the left hoping it was the right direction.

         “So neither of you have told her?  She doesn’t know?”

         “No”

         “What would persuade you to do such a stupid thing?”

         “She’s already frightened, even though she knows we have full control in our wolf form.  Imagine what she would do if she found out she was wolfen as well.”



Previous Chapter:

 Far Sighted Ch 7: A Predator's Presence  (13+)
You owe William your very life. Nothing short of death can release you from that debt.
#1561473 by Far Sighted




Next Chapter:

 Far Sighted Ch 9 Over the Edge  (13+)
If I couldn’t escape what I was then I at least wanted to escape them.
#1566615 by Far Sighted
© Copyright 2009 Far Sighted (mccon2 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1566366-Far-Sighted-Ch-8-Kings-Canyon