*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1566906-Hetty-and-Chilly-take-to-the-streets
Rated: E · Short Story · Animal · #1566906
When the pet shop closes what happens to those left behind?
There was a short sharp knock at the door. As I clambered out of bed, I opened my eyes to see hoards of children swarming around me, their noses pressed against the bars.

"Time for your feed Hetty"

I hopped to avoid the carrot, which was tossed at me. I could barely see a thing but I knew something was different, the shop was never this busy and I had never seen Jo actually serve a customer (she usually just sat on a stool rubbing some sort of stick on her nails). I suddenly didn't feel so hungry, more inquisitive. Detective bunny. I hopped to the other side of my cage and pushed my nose against the bars. No matter how much I pushed my beady eyes closer to the bars all I could see was red stickers everywhere with white writing on saying 'LIQUIDATION'. I had heard this word somewhere before, I racked my brains and suddenly I remembered Harry saying "Its so sad, I never thought Woolworths would reach liquidation, someone will buy it or IT WILL CLOSE DOWN". Oh no, what will I do? Where my going to go? the shop can't close down I have no where to go. Nobody has ever even looked at me, never mind considering me as a pet. Sometimes children had looked at me and giggled at my matted fur and red eyes, but there was nothing I could do.

Two weeks later it happened. I had forgotten all about LIQUIDATION. The shop had been selling loads of stuff so I thought it wouldn't have to close. However, every time a rabbit or hamster left, he wasn't replaced. The shop was looking emptier everyday. Today, the shop wasn't even open. I wasn't awoken by a sharp knock or attack by a carrot, I had a lie in and simply dreamed of carrots and lettuce.

When I woke up though the place was in complete darkness. There was no carrot to comfort me and I was getting hungrier as every moment passed. I would have to do as Charlie had done. I would pick the lock, hop out of my cage and tuck into some well deserved rabbit food. I completed the first part of my mission; I picked the lock and jumped out of the cage. However, when I reached the floor I couldn't see a thing and I couldn't even smell food. In fact I couldn't smell anything. As I hopped around, bumping into boxes I would sniff and scratch to see if there was anything inside. SMASH! I hit something and fell over onto my back.

"Hetty?" a whisper said.

I sniffed about trying to figure out who had injured me. I could smell sawdust and curry, it must have been Chilly (named after his favourite treat...chillies).

"Chill, is that you? Chilly?" I squeaked cautiously, hoping it wasn't a wild dog who also enjoyed Tikka Masala. Chilly reassured me it was him and began to tell me how an empty hamster cage had hit him in the night and the door to his cage had opened.

In a strong mexican accent he continued "I didn't know what to do 'etty, so I grabbed me chillies and ran off. Thought I was alone ya see. When I 'it your big wobbly belly I knew it was you an' thank God I couldn't of coped if Gerty was still 'ere"

I saw a small glint of light from the door and saw two great huge feet wade through the boxes.

"c'mon Chilly over 'ere will 'ide in the corner" I said, grasping at Chilly's small paws, dragging her to the corner. We huddled together hoping not to be seen by the giant.

"I heard about giants Chilly they eat rabbit in casseroles, what am I going to do?"

"No, they don't. Rabbits are pets not appetisers"

"They do, Harry said ages ago that Carol was making Rabbit casserole for tea. Its alright for you... they won't eat you. They don't have chinese-style chinchilla or chargrilled chinchilla. Its only me that is going to be the main course". I suddenly burst into tears. I was suddenly knocked to the floor.

"Pull yourself together Hetty, your not fat enough for tea, so don't worry. You needed a slap so stand up and shut up or he'll find us. Now wait until the giant goes into the stock room and we'll make a run for it out the door."

As the fat giant waddled to the stock room, I grasped at Chilly's hand and we made a run for the door.

© Copyright 2009 The Shopaholic (jessielou at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1566906-Hetty-and-Chilly-take-to-the-streets