*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1566956-Vegas-Nightshade
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Horror/Scary · #1566956
A magician is more than he seems.
         The cards purred as he shuffled them from hand to hand.  He sat there, in the dark bar, alone; and he liked it that way.  There would be time for socializing later, when the drunk gamblers and retirees came in for the show.  There would be time later to schmooze, and mingle…  and feed.  Yes feed, for that was his way. 

         The sound of a creaking door startled him for a moment as a bolt of midday sunlight shot across the room and illuminated his gaunt form.  He cringed, this one, uncomfortable in the natural light.  He abruptly stood up and backed into shadow, wondering who could be coming in.  His first show didn’t start for another 4 hours.  A small girl, no older than eleven or twelve, walked into the bar.  Obviously out of place, she waited in the doorway for a moment.  When her eyes became accustomed to the darkness she moved further into the room and caught sight of the magician. 

“Please mister…  Can you help me?”

         He stood motionless and silent for a moment longer, fighting the bloodlust coursing through his veins.  He regained control, telling himself to wait a few hours.  Reminding himself that drunks were easy pickings, and no one really noticed when one of them disappeared.  He moved toward her.  Soundless on his felt soled shoes.

“Yes.” His voice was soft, velvety, and somehow chilling. “How can I help you, young lady?”

         “I lost my dad, and I don’t know where I am and I need to get back.  I’m scared.”  Her voice shook as she began to softly cry.  He moved toward her, still fighting the urge to tear her young body apart.

         “Where did you last see them, my dear?”  He reached her and stepped to her side away from the sunlight.  She turned to him and smiled strangely. 

         “Over there.” she said pointing out the door.  He moved into the light and looked toward where she pointed; and felt a sharp pain in his side. 

         He jerked away from her, the knife pulling free of her hand yet still protruding from his side.  It had silver in it, he could tell.  It was burning terribly as the poison made its way into his blood stream.  He convulsed as he pulled it from his flesh, letting it clatter to the floor.  He turned toward her only to catch her as she leapt onto him, burying her fangs deep into his throat and savagely tearing it open.  He inwardly screamed, “Noooo!” as he attempted to pull her free.  His strength was waning however.  He had gone without feeding for too long.  He finally fell, as she growled above him.  His vision growing blurry, he watched her, her face covered in gore, as she removed a large wooden splinter from the folds of her dress.  She smiled at him, an evil little smile as she placed its point on his chest.  The pain exploded inside of him as he ceased to exist.
© Copyright 2009 J. Miller (withsteam at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1566956-Vegas-Nightshade