*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1567594-The-Castigation-of-Henry-Rowe
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Nick91
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Horror/Scary · #1567594
A serial killer see's hell, but is sent somewhere much worse.
Faces  flashed  before  him.  Screaming,  pleading,  agonized  portraits  enveloped  his  vision,  and  for  a  moment,  Henry  Rowe  forgot  who  he  was.

  Then  he  remembered.

  He  was  the  person  that  the  Santiago  police  had  tried  for  twenty  years  to  capture  but  to  no  avail. He  was  the  person  that  had  gotten  away  with  some  of  the  worst  serial  torture  cases  in  history,  and  he  was  also  the  fifteenth  person  to  be  executed  in the  state  of  California  since  the  death  penalty  was  reinstated  in  1978.  This,  in  a  strange  way,  gave  him  a  demented  sense  of  pride.  But  not  now.  Now,  plummeting  down  this  endless  spiral  of  darkness  and  terror,  there  was  no  pleasure  or  emotion.  Only  the  strange  and  familiar  anguished  faces  of  his  past  subjects  he  mercilessly  tormented.  "Packages"  he  liked  to  call  them.  He  hated  to  refer  to  them  as  nothing  more  than  objects.  "Toys"  of  his  amusement.  Oh,  the  power  he  felt!  He  was  god...

  Was.

  As  he  felt  himself  land  on  hard,  dry,  ground.  This  power  he  felt,  for  the  first  time  in  his  existence,  seemed  to  have  reversed  itself.  Now  he  felt  at  the  mercy  of  the  power  that  had  a  hold  of  him  now.

  He  gazed  out  over  a  barren  wasteland,  in  which  the  landscape  was  dry  and  sandy.  The  land  seemed  cloaked  in  a  dark  red  shadow  that  looked  sinister  and  filled  him  with  dread  and  hopelessness.  The  very  air  seemed  to  have  a  kind  of  pressure,  or  weight,  and  he  felt  like  an  egg  ready  to  crack.  He  realized,  finally,  were  he  was.

  Throughout  his  years,  Henry  never  believed  in  hell.  He  never  expected  any  kind  of  supernatural  punishment  for  his  horrible  acts  of  barbarism.  He  always  assumed  any  kind  of  religious  belief  was  for  people  that  could  not  handle  the  fact  of  eternal  expiration.  That  death  is  the  end.  Saps,  all  of  them.  That's  why  he  did  what  he  did.  He  had  all  the  power  over  a  person's  existence.  He  chose  if  death  was  the  end  for  them.  Which  it  usually  was.  It  seemed  now  he  was  in  hell,  and  who  knows  what  punishment  he  will  receive  for  his  wickedness  on  earth.  Just  as  he  began  to  realize  his  fate,  something  else  happened  that  added  to  the  strangeness.

  He  shut  his  eyes,  opened  them,  and  saw  he  was  now  in  a  dark  room.  The  weird  smell  of  gasoline  and  alcohol  flooded  his  nostrils.  He  tried  to  move  his  arms,  only  to  discover  they  were  bound.  His  entire  body  was  bound,  he  realized,  to  a  dentist  style  chair.  Straining  his  eyes,  he  tried  to  shift  through  the  darkness  for  any  kind  of  light.  Maybe  the  crack  of  a  door. 

  Suddenly,  a  set  of  fluorescent  lights  clicked  on,  Temporarily  blinding  him.  They  revealed  a  small  clean  chamber,  almost  like  a  doctor's  office.  A  desk  was  seated  in  a  corner,  on  which  were  books  of  anatomy,  pencils,  paper,  and  an  assortment  of  other  office  supplies.  The  only  thing  out  of  the  ordinary  in  the  room  was  gray  skull  setting  atop  a  shelf.  It  seemed  to  have  been  converted  into  a  morbid  candle  holder.

  Strange.  The  room  seemed  awfully  familiar!  What  about  it  was  striking  his  nerves?

  Realization  flicked  on  as  suddenly  as  the  lights.  This  was  the  room  he  had  always  brought  his  "packages,"  his  dolls  back  to.  This  is  were  he  committed  the  crimes  that  etched  him  in  history.  Only  this  time,  he  was  seeing  it  from  another  perspective.  His  victim's?

  What  was  this?

  A  noise  echoed  out  into  the  room.  Static.  The  sound  tickled  his  ears,  and  his  eyes  drew  to  the  source.  A  small  tape  recorder  rested  between  his  thighs.  An  aristocratic  voice  issued  from  it,  his  own.

                          ***

  When  Henry  would  acquire  a  subject,  usually  female  between  the  ages  of  25  and  30,  he  would  play  a  tape  recorder  while  they  were  bound  and  blindfolded.  This  tape  recording  was  used  to,  he  figured,  to  strike  fear  into  the  person.  Making  them  easier  and  more  enjoyable  prey.  Now,  listening  to  his  own  voice  emit  from  the  device,  he  couldn't  help  but  notice  the  irony.

  "Good evening,"  It  said,  "Obviously  you  have  been  brought  here  against  your  will.  I'd  imagine  your  scared.  Please  don't  try  to  struggle,  it  makes  my  job  so  much  easier...."

  It  went  on  and  on.  Taunting  him.  His  own  voice  taunting  him!  Filling  his  head  with  hopelessness  and  doing  what  it  was  created  to  do.

  ".....it  would  be  best  for  you  to  let  go.  Just  give  in  to  what's  to  come,  there  is  no  hope  for  you.  These  walls  are  totally  sound  proof....."

  As  it  continued  to  play,  Henry  finally  realized,  they  were  never  ever  really  deprived  of  hope.  They  always  had  it.  Deep  in  their  souls  they  always  had  a  glimmering  star  of  hope,  even  if  that  hope  burst  out  into  a  supernova.  He  had  it  to,  once.  However, now  was  different.  His  hope  had  expired  long  ago.      It  was  to  late.

  The  recording  came  to  an  end.

For  the  first  time  since  his  childhood,  Henry's  eyes  weld  up  with  tears.  Not  entirely  out  of  fear,  but  sadness.  He  bowed  his  head.  All  those  souls.  Now  he  knew  how  they  must  have  felt.  After  collecting  himself,  he  noticed  a  man  in  the  center  of  the  room.  He  was  tall,  pale,  and  had  smooth  black  hair.    His  eyes  shown  an  amber  tint,  and  he  was  dressed  in  a  plane  black  robe.  Arms  crossed,  he  looked  impatient  with  Henrys  tears,  but  he  didn't  look  surprised  with  them.

  "What  is  this,"  Henry  gasped,  "Where  am  I?"

  The  mans  eyes  widened  as  if  Henry  should  know.

  "This  is  hell  Henry Rowe."  The  mans  voice  was  powerful,  like  a  king  declaring  war  to  his  kingdom.

  "Now,  you  will  be  punished  for  your  wickedness  according  to  your  crimes."

  He  said  this  in  a  strictly  formal  manner,  it  sounded  as  if  this  was  a  routine.  Henry  watched  as  the  man  walked  to  a  drawer,  pulled  it  open,  drawing  out  a  cordless  power  drill.  Henry  remembered  it.  It  was  is  favorite  instrument.  The  hooded  figure  approached  him.  His  amber  eyes  never  changing  expression.

  "You  may  try  to  resist  if  you  wish."

  Henry  closed  his  teary  eyes,  knowing  there  was  no  use.

  The  man  sighed  with  relief.

  "Good,  makes  my  job  so  much  easier."

  The  man  grabbed  Henry's  head  and  placed  the  drill  bit  to  his  temple,  clicked  of  the  safety  and  mashed  the  button.

                          ***

  Henry  woke  up  stretched  out  over  his  notes.  Drool  was  leaking  from  his  mouth  soaking  the  segment  of  his  report  on  the  anatomical  structure  of  the  brain.  The  remains  of  his  latest  experiment  sat  bound  and  gagged  in  the  chair  behind  him.  He  looked  over  at  the  clock  and  saw  that  it  read  eleven  fifty.  Man,  he  must  have  dozed  off,  and  that  dream!  What  was  that?

  He  rubbed  his  eyes.  His  shoulders  had  begun  to  ache,  and  his  damn  knees.  How  long  had  that  segment  lasted?  This  package  had  been  particularly  arousing.  She  could  fight,  and  it  took  a  lot  to  break  her.  He  smiled  to  himself  as  he  slid  his  glasses  on  and  walked  across  the  room  past  the  chair  with  her  in  it,  gingerly  dodging  the  blood  splattered  on  the  linoleum.  He  skimmed  her  cold,  dead  arm  with  his  fingertip  as  he  did  so,  that  smile  still  etched  on  his  thin  lips. 

  Whenever  he  reached  for  the  door,  his  mind  now  set  on  a  glass  of  red  wine,  he  heard  the  sound.  It  wasn't  something  your  average  man  would  probably  notice,  especially  an  exhausted  man  who  ached  all  over.  But,  you  see,  if  you've  ever  had  a  vivid  dream  of  going  to  hell,  you  just  might  notice  small  sounds  like  this.

  Sssssssssssppppp.

  He  froze,  hand  outstretched,  inches  from  the  door  knob.  Maybe  if  he'd  just  dismissed  it,  went  on,  had  his  glass  of  wine,  and  went  to  bed,  maybe  Henry  Rowe  could  have  escaped  his  castigation.  But,  as  it  was,  he  didn't.  Instead,  he  turned  slowly  on  his  heels  and  faced  the  room.

  Sssssssssssppppp.

  He  was  just  in  time  to  see  it.  The  freezer  lid,  slapping  shut.  To  his  horror,  his  feet  began  to  move  on  their  own.

  Sssssssssssppppp.

  He  tried  to  scream,  couldn't.  His  feet  slid  across  the  blood,  but  he  never  fell  down.  It  wasn't  his  body  anymore,  it  seemed.  His  toes  bumped  into  the  base  of  the  freezer  and  he  stopped.  Looking  down  at  the  lid,  he  began  to  cry.  Just  like  in  his  dream.

  He  heard  a  whisper  in  his  ear.

  "There  are  worse  places  than  hell,  Henry."

  At  first,  looking  down  into  the  freezer,  all  Henry  could  see  was  darkness.  Then  as  his  vision  adjusted,  he  could  see  something  just  as  blank  as  darkness.  In  fact,  I  don't  see  how  anyone  can  describe  what  humans  cannot  imagine.  Pure  chaos.  Is  that  it?  The  space  between  spaces  maybe?  Whatever  it  is,  it's  terrible.  Oh,  God...  Terrible.

  And  Henry,  who  will  live  there.  Alone,  naked,  insane...  Does  anyone  really  deserve  such  a  fate?  Then  again,  did  any  one  of  Henry's  victims?

  "Oh  yes,  Henry.  Hell  is  of  human  imagining,  but  not  this  place... this  place  was  built  by  alien  gods  and  immortals.

  Henry  tried  to  scream  again,  but  couldn't.  He  watched,  eyes  wide,  as  a  squid  like  tentacle  crept  up  his  chest  and  wrapped  around  his  throat.  It  phased  in  and  out,  as  if  his  brain  couldn't  exactly  register  it,  so  this  is  a  close  as  it  could  get.

  "The  Trench,  Henry.  You'll  be  there  forever,  with  me  and  my  pals..."

  The  tentacle  yanked  him  in,  right  out  of  his  shoes.

  The  freezer  closed.

  Sssssssssssppppp.

                            ***

  The  police  arrived  two  weeks  later.  The  body  of  the  missing  woman  had  become  so  foul  that  the  forensic  team  had  to  wear  special  filtering  masks  to  even  breath  the  air  safely.  Under  the  floor,  they  found  countless  bodies,  almost  a  quarter  of  the  missing  persons  report  was  under  that  room.  Though  morbid,  this  was  not  the  oddest  thing  the  police  found.  Once  they  saw  this  odd  sight,  the  officers  on  the  scene  would  later  go  home  with  a  new  ghost  story  to  tell  their  children.  Those  children  would  tell  their  friends,  and  by  the  time  they  were  teenagers,  interloping  in  abandoned  warehouses,  or  under  bridges,  or  at  a  dam,  they  would  say,  "Yea,  I've  already  heard  that  one  a  thousand  times.  The  police  walk  in  and  see  a  pool  of  blood  or  something  that  someone's  stepped  through.  The  bloody  footprints  lead  to  freezer  and  there  they  stop,  with  the  shoes  still  on  the  floor.  They  open  the  freezer  and  find  among  the  frozen  body  parts  a  bloody  apron,  a  business  suit,  and  a  broken  pair  of  eyeglasses...  Oooohh,  I'm  so  scared."

  If  they  knew  exactly  what  had  happened  to  Henry  Rowe,  they  would  be.   





© Copyright 2009 Nick91 (nick838 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1567594-The-Castigation-of-Henry-Rowe