*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1567692-You-Never-Listen-to-Me
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1567692
Flash Fiction Contest. Had to include "You never listen to me."
“It’s left at Market and then right on Cross.”

“Honey I think I know how to get to your parents.”

Bonnie sighed. Jack always knew best. Married almost ten years and still he always had to be right. Something about the male genes that made them that way she supposed. But she loved him despite his faults and she would continue loving him no matter the outcome of today’s adventure.

Trips to her parents were always tricky. The old dirt roads and obscure landmarks made the trip more of an adventure than a leisurely visit. The GPS was useless out here as were most state maps. Sometimes there wouldn’t be a road sign, just a pole full of buckshot. All you could rely on were the landmarks. The oak at the fork in the road or Old man Tim’s rusted tractor.

As Jack drove Bonnie kept her eyes peeled for the landmarks. Suddenly she bolted upright and shouted to her husband.

“The tractor! We just passed the tractor!”

“There wasn’t any tractor Bonnie. Just a bunch of overgrowth on a fence.”

“I am telling you it wad Old Man Tim’s rusted tractor. We need to turn around.”

“Honey we are almost to the fork in the road. Trust me I think I have driven this route before.” Jack patted his wife’s hand in that condescending way men can do sometimes.

As the sun set and cast dark hues of red and orange on the tree tops Jack realized he never got to the fork in the road. The pact dirt turned into loose gravel and he began to slide on the road.

As they both looked at the damage the tree caused their car Bonnie couldn’t help but say something.

“You never listen to me.”
© Copyright 2009 RCParrish (superninja42 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1567692-You-Never-Listen-to-Me