*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1569068-SEX-LIFE-AND-HOLOGRAPHIC-DREAMS
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: · Short Story · Sci-fi · #1569068
This story takes place between GENERATIONS and FIST CONTACT
It had been a grueling six months since the destruction of the U.S.S. Enterprise. Commander Riker had been bounced around from one assignment to another with almost no time off. His first assignment had been as acting captain on board the U.S.S. Repellent, an aged cargo ship, on her way to the scrap yard. This ship had definitely seen better days, and on the two week trip Will Riker hadn’t slept much, and could see why her former captain hadn’t wanted to lead her on her final voyage. Just as he had gotten the Repellent to her final resting place. He was whisked away to Star Base 1005 to take temporary command until Star Fleet could send out a permanent replacement, for her captain, who had just been killed in a shuttle accident. From there it was to the U.S.S. Intrepid as acting, temporary first officer, then back to Earth for the hearings on the destruction of the Enterprise.
Just when Will believed he would finally get some much needed rest, he was ordered to Deep Space 4. Of course Will would be happy to see Data and Geordi again. He knew Deep Space 4 was where the salvage of the Enterprise was being handled. Star fleet policy dictates, as well as the Prime Directive, any starship that goes down on any planet, not only be salvaged completely, but all traces must be done away with so no future generations can find any evidence it was ever there. Unfortunately, salvage was only part of the job. They must also try to reconstruct every piece of data they can get from the downed ship. A starship like the Enterprise has a lot of useful data onboard, and that’s where it gets tricky. The Enterprise’s main computer core was destroyed after the warp core breached. The main core dumped every thing into the secondary core as well as any where else it happened to find an empty space.
Geordi, the ships Chief Engineer, and Data, her Science Officer, had put together a team and went about the giant task of reconstructing every piece of data from Enterprise. Star fleet assigned them Deep Space 4 to work because it was the closest base station. The salvage team set about the task of bringing them every piece of core, as well as every computer terminal. tricorder, and computer pad they had had onboard, or found in space. Starship’s are not picky where they put information. When they split away from the saucer section. Generally this is not a problem because as soon as the two parts match up again the main core just retrieves all data and reconstructs it all itself. In cases were the main core is destroyed the ship could simply down loads all data into a star base’s computer and within a few days all information is reconstructed automatically. This wasn’t the case with Enterprise! The main core was destroyed, and the saucer section had crashed onto Veridian 3, so all data had to be retrieved the hard way. This is no small task. Its like putting one million jigsaw puzzles into a giant hopper, pouring them onto the floor, and then asking someone to put them all together again without any idea what any of the original puzzles look like, with no guarantees that all the pieces are even there.
In spite of all the pitfalls Geordi and Data had made a lot of progress. Most of the basic operations and scientific knowledge from Enterprise had been retrieved. Now they were working on all the other things that go on in a Star Ship, like historical, entertainment, personal logs and even recipes from the replicators .
Geordi and Data had made so much progress, do in no small part, because of the team they had put together to assist them. Data had also requested that Dr Farallon be added to the team.. He had also asked her to bring two Exocomps , small droids designed to help in engineering projects, to help in the reconstruction, as well as Reginald Barclay, the Enterprises resident computer expert..
Now that Riker thought about it he hadn’t heard any progress reports on how they were doing in over three weeks. Of course with all the running around he had done, he really hadn’t given the salvage effort any serious thought in the past month. That is not until the orders had come telling him to report to Deep Space 4.
The seventeen hour shuttle ride reminded Will a lot of his trip on the U.S.S. Repellant. He hadn’t slept much on that flight either and the cot was almost as lumpy. He was so happy, when the ensign pilot, who also served as his only companion on the flight, announced they were going to be in sight of the star base in less then one minute. He stifled a laugh when the ensign asked if he had wanted pilot the shuttle into the docking bay. All he wanted was off the ship, and didn’t even wait for it to come to a complete stop before retrieving his gear and heading for the exit.
After all Commander Riker had been through lately he was so glad to see who had came and greeted him.
“Deanna” he said with a big smile.
“Welcome to Deep Space 4, Will, I hope your doing well.” she replied greeting him with a hug, and a kiss on the cheek.
“Well they’ve got me running lately but I didn’t know you were here, last I had heard you were on Betazed, something about your mother being ill?
“Yes, mother went out and caught the Terarian Flu, Then didn’t want to take her medicine .So I had to fly home to take care of her.”
“So how’s she doing?” Will asked. He had always had a soft spot for Lwaxana Troi, in spite of the fact she had a tendency to drive everyone around her, up the wall, as the old saying goes.
“She’s fine now.” Deanna said leading Will down the corridor” now that I’ve left, she only has Mr Homn to antagonize now……..”
“…..But he seems to like it.” Will answered with a laugh. “But what brings you here; I hope you didn’t come all this way to see me?” Riker said in a funny way, hoping for a response
“No I was asked to come here by Data, and it was my suggestion that they request your presence.”
“You, why would they need you on a salvage mission?” said Will trying not to sound condescending.
Deanna, taking no offense turned the corner and stated “Well maybe they can answer that better then I can?”
As Commander Riker walked into the lab. The first sight that caught his eye was the secondary computer core from the saucer section. It looked like it had been beaten sex, life, and holographic dream with an old fashion baseball bat. Will’s first thought was how could anyone ever get any data from that thing ? But parts were lit up and seemed to be working.
” Hello Commander Riker.” Data greeted him in his usual formal and almost mechanical way, he always did.
“Commander.” Geordi said almost with a sigh” It’s so good to see you.”
“The same here.” Will replied. “I came as soon as I got the message, I knew it must be important for you to request me way out here, What can I do to help?”
“Commander.”,” Commander.” the voice from the back ground repeated.” Oh thank you.”, “ Oh thank you it’s, it’s so great, I mean its great, well not great, but well maybe you, well not you personally, well maybe you can, I don’t know.” the voice trailed off not making much sense.
Riker recognized it right away, It was the voice of Reginald Barclay the always nervous, sometimes annoying, but ever brilliant computer specialist.
“Maybe you can, turn it off.” Reg. said finally.
“Turn what off lieutenant.” Riker replied.
“Reg, Maybe you better let me explain,” Geordi cut in.” see Commander we made so much progress so fast, with the help of the Exocomps we were due to download all the files from Enterprise into the Starfleet’s main computer almost four months ahead of schedule. So I started letting some of the team, work on little side projects.”
“Side projects?” Riker asked.
“You know things that are not important, but might hold personal interest to some of the old Enterprise crew. “Geordi said . Diaries, notes from loved ones,”
“Holodeck programs.” Barclay cut in.
“Holodeck programs?” Riker replied, remembering Reginald’s bout with holodiction
“Yes Commander, Reg’s expertise in helping to create the E.M.H. program, made him the perfect person to work on holodeck simulations!” Geordi cut in before the thought could get very far.
“Yes and that’s also where the problem started.” Barclay said.
“What problem would that be Lieutenant.” Commander Riker asked.
“Well see holodeck programs can’t be stored just any where, they can only be stored is certain places. So I started reconstructing them on my spare time.That’s when I found, well that one.” he said.
“Which one?” Riker asked getting more bored by the minute
“The one that’s causing, all the problems.” Reg. replied
“You see commander.” Geordi said realizing Riker needed some more info. “Once a holodeck program, is reconstructed, you don’t know what it consist of until you run it.”
“And that’s when the problems started.” Reg. added.” You see this one, kind of intrigued me, because it was so different then any other program I had seen. At least for the time this one was created.”
“In what way Mr. Barclay?”
“Well for one , it was much more complex and also looked more like one that was created yesterday, rather then almost eight years earlier, and also it almost looked like it tried to erase it self.”
“Erase it self?” Riker asked
.“Yes but then, I knew that wasn’t possible, at least not until just a few years ago” Barclay said. “So that’s why I worked on it every chance I got, and I got to a point that I thought I had found all of it that I was going to find”
“I see.” Riker said now completely lost.
“Only Reg wasn’t willing to stop there, were you Reg.” Geordi said trying to sound friendly and helpful.
“No I guess I wasn’t?” he stared again “So I asked the computer to try to fill in the blanks, but that wasn’t enough either” “So I got creative.”
“In what way?” Will asked finally hoping for an answer.
“I decided that I could fill in the rest of the blanks by merging it with the E.M.H. program, and that was all it needed”
“To do what?” Riker asked.
“To take control. ”the lieutenant said shyly
“Control of what”
“Every thing , Commander!” Geordi said
“You see Commander.” Geordi said . ”The Emergency Medical Hologram needs to be able, to not only access data, but also has an entire set a command functions to be able to control certain areas of a starship in cases of emergencies.”
“Well that’s what it needed.” Mr. Barkly said. “I mean, it being self-aware like the E.M.H.
“Wait, you mean this programs self aware, and has now taken control of the star Base?” “Why don’t you just turn it off, pull the plug.” Riker asked.
“Because it’s locked everyone out of every system. That’s why they asked me to come, hoping I might get it to open up just like I would any other patient.” Deanna injected.
“Ok so how do I fit in?” Riker asked
“She seems to know you and has asked for you.” Reg said.
“Wait, SHE?” Riker said.” but I don’t know any self-aware holodeck women from eight years ago.”
No one spoke as Riker finished. The revelation began to show on his face. After a long silence he spoke. “Well there was that one.”
Five minutes later Riker stood in front of Holodeck One.
“Computer enter.” he said and entered a smoke filled jazz bar in the nineteen twenties, on the stage a band played soft music, a bartender toweled a glass, and a beautiful brunette stood leaning up against the bar.
“Hello Will, its good to see you again.” the woman said.
At that point a thousand things went through Riker’s mind more questions then answers, but all he could say was,
HELLO MINUET
2

The beautiful holographic woman that the Bynars had created to keep him busy so they could steal the Enterprise. They used it to save their planet from a giant solar flare, almost eight years before. It was the first encounter that Riker had had with a hologram that felt so real he had started developing real feeling for it. To this day she still dwelled upon his mind. Sometimes when he would sit by himself, and daydream he would think of her voice, or the smell of her perfume. He had tried several times to recreate her that day, but to no avail. Thought he had given up he had never forgoten her completely. Now she was here again, in this same old bar, with this same old band, and here Riker was with the same old feelings
“Oh Will.” Minuet sighed, as Riker held her to him and kissed her. “It’s so good to be with you again.”
He kissed her like a man knowing he might never see the light of day again. For a minute he got so caught up in the moment he almost forgot why he was here. So wrapped up in being by her side he almost forgot this was not the Minuet he knew. She had been given an upgrad. This Minuet had all the command codes of the E.M.H. and had used them to take control of Deep Space 4 and was bringing everything the personnel here were trying to accomplish to a halt.
Riker broke free of Minuet and caught his breath.
“Minuet, please you’ve got to stop what your doing, you’ve got to return control of this station back to Star Fleet.” Riker said. “You don’t know what your doing.”
“Oh your wrong Will. I know exactly what I’m doing.” She replied.
Will found it hard to comprehend even though he had been updated as to which systems she had infected just before he had come to see her for himself.
“Commander” Geordi had said as they walked down the hall to Holodeck one. “We’ve been unable to shut her out of any systems, but we have been able to track her as she goes through them one by one. Even though we still can’t figure out what she’s up to, we’ve been able to see what changes her influence have had.”
“Explain” Riker responded.
“Well Commander first she got into the main computer, from there she formed a subspace link with the USS. Crazy Horse, and down loaded all their files.” Geordi started.
Riker knew the Crazy Horse was the ship that was in charge of the Enterprise clean up on Veridian 3
“From there she formed a subspace link to Star Fleet Command”.
“Looking for what?” Riker asked.
“We don’t know, we can’t narrow our field of investigation to find out, not with the limited amount of computer control we have.” Geordi said. “We do know she went right for certain areas in the Star Fleet library, scientific, theatrical sciences, medical, mechanical engineering, and computer programming,
“How many files did she get into?” Riker asked.
“At last estimate over ten million, so she gained a lot of knowledge commander.” Geordi answered.
“But still no working hypothesis as to what she was looking for?” Riker asked again.
“Sorry Commander.” Geordi sighed.” But we do know she’s been making drastic changes in the way systems work here onboard.”
“Are the personnel here in any danger.” Riker asked.
“No the changes don’t seem to affect anything that we need to survive. “Air, Gravity, and food replication are all fine, and she seem to have taken great cares to see that they’ve all remained fully functional. ”Geordi added. Even medical reports they haven’t had any problem treating any of their patients.”
“Good, report to me immediately if that changes.” Riker added.
“Yes sir. if you don’t mind me asking Commander” Geordi asked. “What are you are going to do to find out what she’s up to.”
“Chief, I’m going to take the direct approach.” Riker said forcing a smile across his face “I’m going to come right out and ask her.”
“And if she won’t tell you?” Geordi added. Knowing that hadn’t worked for Deanna.
When Riker did not answerer it was plain to both of them he had not come up with a, plan b, so to speak.
So as they stopped in front of Holodeck one, Geordi simply said as he turned and left. “I see, well then good luck Commander”
So that’s what he decided to do
“Minuet what are you doing, and why have you done this” Riker asked “what are you looking for”
“You, at first Will” Minuet replied “see, at first when your Lieutenant Barclay activated me, I thought I was still onboard the Enterprise, so I started looking threw the personnel files”
Riker remembered Minuet doing that eight years ago to learn to speak French to Captain Pikard
“When I realized I was not on Enterprise and I began to look in to not just personnel files but everything I had no limit to what I was able to access and not only that I was now able to reach beyond this base to other places”
Riker knew what she meant, when Reg had inadvertently placed within Minuet’s access the E.M.H. command codes, he had opened her up to the entire Federation. Riker imagined it must have been like suddenly realizing we now have an extra arm that we seem to know how to use.
“As I looked for you I started learning more then I’d ever known before, so I looked into Reginald Barclays past and I learned he had tried to help a hologram like me leave the holodeck, only it never worked”
Riker had seen Captain Picards report on how he and Barclay had being forced to try to help a self aware holodeck program leave the holodeck with the woman he loved.
They had failed but they had learned a lot about how self aware holograms work and Reg. had been able to use that knowledge in his work on the E.M.H.
“That’s when I looked into the Crazy Horse and fond out the it was used in the Federation’s war with the Tholians”
“What does the Tholian War have to do with leaving the holodeck” Will asked
“In Transit Memory Manipulation” Minuet answered
“No” Riker screamed” you can’t do that. You don’t know what that will do”
Riker had not only heard of the Tholian Technique but had lost a fellow classmate from his academy days to it.
The Tholians had come up with a way to use Federation Transporters to try to create sleeper agents within the Federation. The agents were hoped to be activated to sabotage Federation starships and star bases used in the war. They would lock on to Federation citizens in mid transport bringing their patterns into their transporter buffers and attempt to implant post-hypnotic suggestions into their brains. They would then complete the transport, and if done right the agents would never realize what happened
Unfortunately they never perfected it, but that didn’t stop the Tholians from using it several times. Everyone that they tried it on died horribly and painfully.
Dr Selar, who was one of the doctors to perform an autopsy on one of the bodies was also an accomplished cook just like Riker, explain to him why
“Its like putting equal parts sugar and salt into your cake mix, its not going to turn out because the two won’t work well enough to get the cake to cook right”
Their brains react the same, the two set of memories will not work well enough for their bodies to work right and keep the people alive”
“Whom ever you try that on you’ll end up killing” Riker said shaking her “The human brain will not take the memory transplantation”
“That’s why I needed the other info from the theoretical sciences and engineering. I’m making the changes to the transporter, main computer, and replicators now,” Minuet said breaking his grip on her
“But all those systems are not designed work together at the same time” Riker said
“They will when I’ve made the necessary changes” Minute said
Riker stopped, he was taken aback and asked “what do the replicators have to do with implanting memories?”
“You see Will, as I looked into this, I came across a paper written by one of the scientists that were assigned by the Federation to study the Tholians science.
“He hypothesized that only a blank brain would have any chance of accepting the memory implants” Minuet said
Riker couldn’t believe what he was hearing. His mind raced with what Minuet was attempting.
“Will, that’s why I need to link the replicators to the transporter and the main computer I’m replicating a complete pattern, a complete set of DNA”
“My DNA, once I’m done, it will be me that steps off that transport pad Will”
“I’m going to leave this holodeck and I’m going to be ALIVE”
Will Rike, stood looking at Minuet, a million things running through his mind more questions then answers.
But this time he couldn’t say a thing.

3

“WILL IT WORK?”
That was the question that kept running through his mind. It was also the question he needed an answer to. Had she don it? Had she found the way to leave the holodeck? Had she found the way to become real?
“Oh Will, can’t you see?” she said to him “I’ve finely found away to be with you in the real world. I’ve worked it all out? That’s why I needed medical to show me how the brain works. I needed science to show me how to replicate the DNA pattern and engineering to put it all together. I’m just hours away from leaving this holodeck forever.”
For Riker that was not enough. He had to know if there was a chance Minuet might succeed and he knew the one person who should be able to tell him. The Bases Chief Medical Officer, DR. Katherine Pulaski.
Dr Pulaski had worked as Enterprises chief medical officer for only one year, but in that year Riker had had first hand knowledge of how she was able to take broken bodies and bring them back from the brink of death using modern medicine. Riker trusted if anyone was qualified to say what Minuet was attempting was possible, it would be her.
“I don’t know Will.” Kate said back.
“Not good enough DR., not good enough!” Will shouted.
“Will, try to understand your talking about creating life where there was none. I’m not qualified to answer that question.” she replied. “I’m not sure who is.”
“But is it possible?” Riker asked. “that somewhere in all these years of replicating limbs, and organs and creating clones of people who either are alive, or at one time were. We found the secret of creation. We stabled across the great divide, and finally found a way to create not just another clone, or copy, but a unique person, and she’s found the missing link that so many before her have missed.”
“I don’t know, Will.” Dr. Pulaski said sitting back in her chair.” but I will tell you this, if she has, if we are that advanced, there are some that might say it’s a secret that should never have been found.”
“Well I think you need to ask yourself what do you want Will.” she said to him finally.
“Me? What does this have to do with me?” Will asked.
“It seems to me your why, she’s doing this.” she said,” you’re the one who’s going to determine the outcome of this.”
“I don’t know what your getting at doctor.” Will replied.
“Will, I’ve seen people pull themselves back from death with no help from me, because they had something to live for. On the other hand I’ve had patients die from wounds you or I wouldn’t spend even one day in sick bay for, because their hearts are broken. So maybe the big secret we’ve all been looking for is right in front of our face? We’re just all to blind to see it.” Kate said.
“And what secret would that be doctor?” Will asked.
“The one to the meaning of life. Will, maybe it something so simple we’ve had it all along and never realized it.” Kate said. “Maybe whether she succeeds or fails will all come down to love. Do you love her enough to her to live?”
He didn’t know how to answer. He hadn’t thought that far ahead? What if she did step off that transporter platform and was a real person? With real feeling, someone who he could have a real life with? Marriage have children with, grow old with, was his feeling real enough for her. There was only one person onboard that he could talk this over with and that was Deanna .Somewhere in the back of his mind he had always assumed it would one day be her by his side one day as his wife. But were his feeling real enough for Minuet that he was willing to change his mind set on what he believed was his future?
“I think that Dr. Pulaski has a point Will. Yes, Minuet is now just a hologram and it might be very comfortable thinking of her along those lines, but what are you going to say if she succeeds?” Deanna asked.
“I’m not sure, Deanna, I guess I’ve never had to face anything like this before.
“Will no one has, but you need to decide if life with her is what you want.” Deanna added.” Because, she’s made it very plain it’s what she wants.”
“But if I decide it’s not what I want?” he asked.
“Then you need to tell her. If she really loves you she’ll understand and turn this station back to you.” Deanna said.
“Are you sure about that?” Will asked hesitantly.
“Yah, I’m sure.” she answered.” I would.”
Will had a decision to make. Let Minuet keep doing what she was doing or tell her to stop. On one hand he would either face spending the rest of his life with her, or watching her as she failed in her attempt. On the other hand he could break her heart and have her possibly hate him for not giving her a chance. Then be ordered to erase her by Star Fleet.
Success would probably end his career, Every scientist in the galaxy would want to talk to her. Examine her, trying to duplicate the process, but he would be with her she would be by his side forever. They would probably have a family, be able to watch them grow up together, and grow old with each other.
So Will went back to his quarters and pondered the question Dr. Pulaski had asked. What did he want? When he had made up his mind there was only one more person he needed to talk to.
“Minuet, what will you need to get this process done?” he asked her.
“Well I could use a little help getting the mechanics done that should speed things up a bit.” she replied.
Will Riker touched his com badge. “ Commander Rike to La Forge.” he said aloud.
A response came back.” La Forge here Commander.”
“You are here by ordered, to not attempt to lock the Minuet program out of any systems. You will offer any assistance she requires from here on. Is that understood chief.” he asked.
“Loud and clear commander.” came the response.
Through out the night they worked. Minuet would send the specs on how to do something to one of the systems, and La Forg would get his team to replicate the parts or get them out of stock and supervise the work getting them installed. Through out it all Minuet was writing and rewiting software, testing and retesting theories, and hypothesis while Riker stood back and watched it all. Waiting and waiting for something, any thing, and thought maybe he had made the wrong decision. Maybe this wasn’t going to work? Maybe there going to throw the switch, or trip the lever, and everything is going to just fissile and breakdown? Maybe the main computer would shut down all system as a safety measure to keep anyone from getting hurt, or worse maybe every safety back up would fail and the entire star base may overload and explode in one giant fireball? Killing him and all his friends, as well as all personnel onboard and Minuets hope of ever being real.
He was deep in his daydream when Geordi came to him. “Sir, we’ve done all we can do.”
“I see,” he said” then I’d better see where we go from here”
Will walked down the corridor to holodeck one. The door opened before he could respond. As he walked in he saw he was not in the old jazz bar. In fact, except for him and Minuet, the holodeck was empty.
“We’re ready to go when you are.” he said to her.
“I’m ready Will.” Minuet said.” but before I start, I’ll need your help one last time.”
“In what way?” Will asked.
“Will I have to download all of my memories into the Thoilan program. In order to do that, I’ve got to remove everything that makes me self-aware which means this is a one way trip. I’ve already programmed the computer to do this, as well as put the transporter pattern into the transporter buffer, but that’s all I’m able to do. After the computer does that my influence will be gone.”
“So what do you need me to do?” Will asked.
“Activate the transporter. After I signal you, you will be able to see the pattern grow to one hundred percent. Then you will only have about thirty seconds to activate transporter one.”
Without a word Will walked out of Holodeck One and to Transporter Room One. A young woman stood at the transporter. As he walked in he touched his com badge. “Minuet, we’re ready.” he said.
“Ok Will, well here I go.” she replied.
“We have a pattern.” the transporter chief said. “15%,,27%,,34%,,55%,,68%,,88%,,92% sir we have 100% pattern.”
Riker stood there wondering what he should do next.
“Chief,,,,,,,” he said.
A millions things raced through his mind, more questions then answers.
But this time he gained his composer, and said
“ENERGIZE”
4

As the young lady’s hand ran up the transport screen he heard the hum of the transporter activated. At first he thought he saw something then it seemed to disappear. Them a pattern started to form before his eye. All though he had been through this himself, and had watched it countless other times, this time seemed to take forever. The process was slowed down. He didn’t know if this was because of all the hotwiring they had done or if it was by design .Soon a definite pattern started to appear. It begin to take form and after what seemed like an eternity. On what was once an empty platform a beautiful woman now stood.
She seemed to stand there unmoving for what seemed like forever. She did not seem to even be breathing from what Commander Riker could see. The thought crept into his mind that they had failed. She had not survived. All that was here, was an unmoving reminder of what they had tried to do.
Suddenly, she gasp and collapsed to the floor. Will rushed to her side. She was having a hard time breathing and seemed to be in pain. He picked her up in his arms and shouted into the air. “Transporter room two, two to been directly to sick bay. Now!” Riker shouted. As they reappeared he saw the face of Dr. Pulaski appear before his eyes. “Here put her here.” Kate told him as transport completed.
“Rike put Minuet on the medical table and stepped back. “She’s alive. She did it. She’s alive.” He said to her. Dr Pulaski ran a medical tricorder over her body. “Her blood oxygen level is almost zero, she’s dehydrated, and her heart rate is way too high.” She said to him. “She’s alive, but not for long if we don’t fix them, and right away.”
As Pulaski’s team went to work on Minuet, Riker slowly backed out of sickbay to give them room to work.
It seemed like he stood there forever. Had he seen her alive for only a moment just to have her die soon after? Had this been a cruel twist that fate that had been played on him. Was this even the Minuet he knew? Was she nothing more then an empty shell with no mind. He didn’t know. She had not even spoken and now he may never know.
After a long wait, Dr Pulaski came out. “Will I think you’ll want to see this. She said to him.
As he walked into sickbay he looked at the bed where he had laid Minuet. At first she was not moving until he was almost right next to her.
“Hi Will.” Minuet said in a hoarse voice as she turned her head to him.
“Hi,, how are you feeling?” He asked.
“Well with no former frame of reference to go by, and from what Dr. Pulaski tells me, I guess I’m feeling fine.” she joked.
“She seems to be in good health, as far as we can tell right now, but we’re running a few test? She needs to get some rest and I suggest something to eat.” Dr. Pulaski said.
“We had to hydrate her and oxidize her blood completely, it seem that the two things our scientist never thought about when this could theoretically happen.” she continued.
“But she’s all right?” Will asked.
“Yes Will, she’s all right.” Kate answered.
“So does that mean I can get up?” Minuet asked starting to sit up.
“I don’t think a little walk will hurt.” Kate replied.
As Minuet sat up and put her legs underneath her knees buckled unable to hold her weight.
“Oh my.” she cried out as Will caught her just before hitting the floor.
“Wow.” Kate said.” Easy there.”
“Yeah how come I feel so heavy.” Minuet asked as Riker brought her to a standing position again.
“It’s because of a little thing we call gravity” Will said jokingly.
“Ok, I see this will have to be something else I’ll have to get use to.” Minuet said back.
After another try Minuet started to walk and accompanied Rike out into the corridor and down to the loung. Riker sat her in a chair and walked over to the counter and soon brought back two glasses. As he sat one down in front of him and the other in front of her. Minuet seemed like she didn’t know what to do with it.
“Just pick it up, put it to your mouth. and drink it.” Rike said, demonstrating for her as she watched.
“Soon, hesitantly, Minuet followed his lead. A look of shock came across her face as she swallowed the liquid. She continued drinking until the glass was empty. Putting the glass down and seeming quite out of breath. She said. “Wow, what was that?”
Riker laughed. “Well that was lemonade. It’s one of my favorite drinks, but usually people don’t drink a whole glass, none stop like that.”
Minuet wiped her mouth and laughed back.
Through the night Riker and Minuet tried many thing. Candies, deserts, different drinks, soups and salads. Some of which she seemed to like, others she didn’t. They walked and danced, kissed and hugged.
Riker was happy. He began to think now that he had made the right decision. This was a woman who he could be very happy with for the rest of his life.
“Will,” Minuet said as it got late.
“Yes Minuet?” Riker replied.
“There is, one other thing I’d like to do tonight.” she said to him softly. “Can we go back to your quarters?”
Will Riker, not saying a word led, Minuet by the hand to the turbo lift. As they entered his quarters, he pulled her to him, and kissed her passionately.
“Oh Will” she said. “I love you so much, and I’m so happy now.”
“I love you t,,,,,,,,” Riker stopped before he could complete the thought.
Minuet had collapsed.
“Minuet” he said trying to get a response from her unconscious form. To no a avail “Riker to Transporter Room Two” he called into the air. “Two to beam directly to sickbay, Medical emergency!” he cried out.
As thy materialized in sickbay he call out. “Doctor. I need your help.”
Dr Pulaski came to his aid and ran a tricorder over Minuet’s unconscious form. “What happened” she asked.
“I don’t know, We were together and she collapsed and lost consciousness”
Riker backed away confident DR. Pulaski could find the cause and fix whatever was wrong. He knew Minuet would pull through that she was in the best hands possible.
For what seemed like an eternity Riker sat there waiting for some word.
When Kate came out, Riker stood up. “So how’s she doing doc?”
Kate walked over to him. “Sit down Will.” she said. “We’ve run several tests and we know what’s wrong. See Mother Nature has a unique way of doing things. Some of which we still don’t understand. See at the time that life begins for us we are completely vulnerable. We have no defenses so Mother Nature give our mothers the ability to fight off things like disease for us. She surrounds us with her antibodies which we then absorb and make part of our immune system.”
“So what does this have to do with how Minuets doing?” he asked.
“You see, she never had the benefit of that. She was cast out into the world with out that protection.” she replied.
“So what are you going to do? We can synthesize antibodies. Can’t you do that?” Will asked.
“I’ve tried Will. There are just too many. Every time I counteract one, more pick up where it left off. I’ve done all I can do Will.” she said.” I’m sorry Will.
Will dreaded what he had to ask next. “How long has she got?”
“I would say she’ll be wake for a couple more hours, but she’ll be gone by morning.” she replied.
“Thank you doctor. Is she in any pain?” he asked
“No, I’ve put pain inhibitors on her spine. She’ll feel no pain.
Will walked into the room and sat down beside her, not knowing what to say.
“Hey!” Minuet said looking at him. “When does the doc say I can get out of here?” she asked.
“Tomorrow” he lied.
“In the meantime why don’t you get some rest.” he said.
“Later. I’m not tired yet.” she said. If she knew he was lying she didn’t let on. “Well, if I’m going to be here why don’t you tell me about yourself.”
“What do you want to know.” he asked.
“Everything” she said with a smile.
Will Riker sat there wondering how fate could be so cruel, to take her from him. This time forever. He thought about all the times they spent together and about the life they could have had.
A thousands things went through his mind at that time. More questions then answers. So this time he thought. (I’ll just start at the beginning.)
“Well lets see.” he said. “I was born in a city know as Valdez, Alaska,,,,,,,,,,,”


the end



I want to thank my lovely wife for encouraging me to write this story and sending it in after having it in my head for so long and also helping me with my terrible spelling

© Copyright 2009 riker001 (cjones001 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1569068-SEX-LIFE-AND-HOLOGRAPHIC-DREAMS