*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1569236-Bharavi
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Inspirational · #1569236
It is an interesting story about the 6th century poet spun around a pithy verse.
Under  the  reign  of Pulakeshin  Mahadeva  was  a  learned  Brahmin living  in a village on  the banks of the  Godavari.  Bharavi ,the eldest of  his five sons  showed  extraordinary  faculties  from the  beginning  of  his  education.  He  grasped  the most  difficult  statements  of  logic  with  such  great  ease , could  reproduce  any  long  poem  after  one  learning,  had  hundreds  of  verses  at  the  tip  of  his  tongue.  People  of  the  village  and  nearby  were  amazed  by  his  talents.  It  was gladdening  to  Bharavi  to  listen  to  all  that  praise  heaped  over  him.  But  there  was  one  man  who  was  always  critical  of  his  abilities. It  was  his  father.  He  never  said  a  word  of  praise  and  ignored  his  poetry  as  child’s  play.  This  attitude  of  was  unbearable  to  Bharavi.  He  waited  for  his  father  to  change. At last,  one  day,  he  wrote  a  long  poem  heaping  abuse  on  his  father  with  wildest  words  occurring  to  his  weird  imagination.  He  read  it  loudly  at a  place  in  the  village  where  learned  people  gathered,  and  also  to  the  disciples  of  his  father,  as  they  stood  awe  struck.  He  then  went  to  his  home  with  a stick  in  his  hand  to  hit the  father’s  head  with.  Just  about  to  push  the door  open,  he  heard  his  name  uttered  by  his  mother,  she  was  pleading  to  her  husband  to  change  his  attitude and  give  due  praise  to  the  gifted  son.  As  a  mother  she  too  felt  uncomfortable  of  the father’s  criticism  of  the  son.  Bharavi  eagerly  listened  to  the  response  of  his  father.  Mahadeva  feared  that  a  father’s  praise  would  go  in  to  the  head  of  his  son  to  ruin  him  of  his  talents  which  he  himself  greatly  admired.  Truly  he  derived  great  joy  while  people  praised  Bharavi.  Bhavi  was  filled  with  remorse,  fell  at  Mahadeva’s  feet  and  confessed  to  him of the  wrong  that  he had just  done.  The  father’s  love  was  forgiving,  but  the  son  insisted  on taking  a  punishment.  Mahadeva  gave  him  a  strange  punishment.  Bharavi  should  stay  at  his  in  laws’  house  until  he  was  called  back..Every  one    was  puzzled  knowing  that  the  in  laws’  home  would  generally  be  a  nice  place  to  stay  in.

Bharavi  set  travel  to  his  in  laws  ,  taking  nothing  with  him,  no  money,  no  clothes,  a  condition  which  his  father  had  laid.  Bharavi’s  father  in  law  was  a  man  of  some  learning,  had  two  sons,  and  the  joint  family  lived  on  a  small  land  that  did  not  make  them  very  rich.

Bharavi  was  welcomed  to  the  house,  and  looked  after  with  due  regard.  But  not  so  when  it  was  revealed  to  them  that  they  would  stay  there  for  very  long,  until  called  back. The  sweetness  disappeared. There  was  no  formal  invitation  to  the  daily  meal  that  no  longer  contained  great  recipes.  Gradually  Bharavi  was driven  to  farm  work  and  house  hold  work,  Janaki  to  do  the  chores  while  her  sisters  in  law  took  rest  most  of the  time.  The  festival  of  vijayadashami  coming  near  they  got  beautiful  clothes  and  new  jewellery  bought  by  their  husbands  while  Janaki  had  to  stay  content  with  ordinary  ones.  She  wept  over  Bharavi’s  shoulders,  but  he  was  helpless, he  had  no  money  to  buy  her  anything  valuable.

There  was one  thing  not  mentioned  so  far,  Bharav’is  creative  self  was not  marred  by  his  distressed  state.  It  grew  more  powerful  and  he  soon  developed  a  grand  style  of  poetry  of  his  own.

One  day  Janaki  approached  him  with  a  bright  face and  a  ray  of  hope.  She  knew  of  a  well  to  do  lady  in  the  town.

Her  husband  was  a  merchant  once  engaged  in  petty  trades.  Then  he  had gone  to  a  distant  country  to  make  a  good  fortune  leaving  his  wife  a  young  lady  and a  son  hardly  seven  years  old and  had  hot  returned  since.His  wife  waited  eagerly  for  his  return  .    For  a  few  months  she got  messages  from  him  through  fellow  merchants, now  that  he  was  in  difficulties  and  now  that  he  was  making  progress.  As  time passed  the  interval  between  the  messages  grew  longer  and  longer and  soon  they  became  nonexistent. 

Mean  while  out  of  sheer  necessity  she revived  her  husband’s  business  in  the town  and  owing  to  her  capabilities  the  business  flourished  gradually  making  her  a  rich  lady .  But  the  longing  for  the husband  grew  by  day  and  of  course  there was  the  son who  was  never  tired  of  asking  questions about the  father.  She  made  charities,  especially  to    Brahmins  hoping that it  would  ensure  safety  to  her  beloved  and probably  would  attract  him  back  to  home.

And  Janaki  was  hopeful  too  of  getting  valuable  help  from  the  rich  lady.  For  that  Bharavi  might  dedicate  one  of  his  new poems to  her.  Janaki  carried a  good new  verse  written  on  a  dried  palm  leaf  to  the  merchant  woman  and read  it  to  her  pleasure. The  lady  was  impressed  and  learning that  it  was  revealed  to her  ahead  of  all  and  it  was  later to  be  included  in  a  long poem  which  Bharavi  planned  to  compose,  she gave  new  clothes  and  jewellery  to  Janaki  and  through  her  to  Bharavi.

She  got  the  poem  beautifully  written  on  a  silk  cloth  and  hung  it  to  the  wall  in  her  hall.

The  merchant  too  making  a  heavy  fortune in a  distant  land  longed  to  unite  with the  family.  He  decided  to  return to  his home  after  eleven  years.  Carrying  with  him  amazing  silk  clothes,  jewllery  and  precious  articles in  a  convoy of  bullock  carts  guarded  by armed  men  he  travelled  for  several  days  before  reaching  the  outskirts  of  his  hometown  on  the  mid  night of  the  full  moon  day  of  Chaitra. He  rested  the  convoy  there,  drove  towards  home, alone,  making  his  way through  familiar  lanes  almost  clearly  visible under  the  full  moon. He  was  astonished  to  see  a  beautiful  mansion where  his  old  house  once  stood.  He  got  down  thoughtfully,  moved forward  and  knocked at  the  entrance  and  waited.  A  few  moments  later  the  door  was  opened by  a  familiar  old  man.  The  merchant  clasped  the  shocked  old  man  and  ordered  him  to  remain  at  the  entrance  and  quietly  made  his  way  in  to  the  house.  He  reached  the  bed  room  whose window  was  wide open  to  let  in  the  cool  breeze  from  outside.  There  the  young  lady  lay  fast  asleep  as  the  bright  moon  light  made  her  beautiful  face  clearly  visible  to  him.  Hugging  her  body  was  a  tall  young  person,  probably  very  young  as  the  tender  skin  on  his  long  legs  showed,  sleeping  to  the  other  side. A  sudden  fit  of  jealousy  took  over  his  mind,  fatigued  as  it  was by  the  long  and  relentless  journey  and  insufficient  sleep.  He  drew  the  sword  to  kill  him  and  quickly  moved  towards  the  door  to  hit  it  open  when  his  eyes  fell  on  the  beautiful  writing  on the  silk  cloth  hung  on  the  wall.  Curious,  he  stood  a  while  to  read  it,  the  poem.

             Sahasaa  vidhadhiita  na  kriyaam

         Avivekah  paramapadaam  padam

Vrunate  hi  vimrushyakaarinah

Gunalubdhaah  svayameva  sampadah



         Rush  not  to  haughty  action,

         An  impulsive  mind  is  a  house  of  calamities,

         Prosperity  self - embraces  those,

         Who  discern  and  do.

The  terseness  of  the  saying  and  the  power  of  the  words  exercised  a  spell  on  his  mind.  He  paused  for  a  moment,  moved  forward  and  knocked  at  the  door  still  keeping  the  sword ready  in  his  hand.  The  lady  inside  woke  up  to  the  sudden  harsh  knock  at  the  door.  Confused,  she  reached  for  the  door  and  slowly  opened  it  to  her  excitement.  Her  exhilaration  disappeared  in  the  next  moment  as  she  was  frightened  by  the  strange  suspicious  look  spread  over  his  face.  She  quickly  reached  the  young  man  sleeping  beside  her  and  swung  him  up  shouting,  ‘’Lad,  See  your  father  has  come’’.  The  merchant’s  heart  stopped  beating  for  a  moment  while  the  sword  dropped  dead  on  the  ground.  He  jumped  on  his  son  and  gave  him a  tight  embrace  of  which  he  was  deprived  for  all  those  years , as  the  lady  too  fell  over  him  letting  out  tears  of  joy.

The  next  day  Bharavi  and  Janaki  were  welcomed  to  their  house  with  great  honour.  The  merchant  fell  on  Bharavi’s  feet,  tears  running  from  his  eyes.  He  showered  precious  gifts  on  the  poet.  The  poets  name  spread  in  the  town  and  far.

Soon  his  stay  at  the  in  laws’  had  ended.  He  was  received  with  pride  and  joy  by  his  father  at  his  home  where  he  proceeded  to  compose,  in  an  ingenious  grand  style,  Kiratarjuniya  a  mahakavya  that  brought  him  an  immortal  place  in  the  history  of  Sanskrit  literature.

















© Copyright 2009 telengana (timmayya at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1569236-Bharavi