*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1569442-The-Schatten
by Ditto
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #1569442
My own version of Little Red Ridding Hood.
Chapter 1. Snapping Dragon Lilies
The market sung in it s usual chorus of merchants haggling and somewhere beyond the colourful tents and stalls the tambourine of a dancer peppered the air with jingles and beats. Women and men called from their stalls, offering the freshest fish from the Auqura, mushrooms and other earthly delicacies from the forest of Schatten, flowers of all shapes and sizes pressed against the glass of the floral shops while the larger kinds were brought out into the open. Leaning against the old white washed wall of the Black Bear Pub, I grasped an old tattered scroll of paper. The market was in general safe; the Guard could be seen wandering around relieving merchants and artisans of mischief-makers. Even with them, stealing and conning were a common crime here. A gust of wind lifted my skirt and the thousand coloured paper windmills from Gapsto’s Magic Emporium sung a thousand different tunes. I was more worried about the hidden alleys of the market. Where the waters dripped from the roofs and pipes, where rats scurried around your feet hurrying towards the garbage disposed from the back of restaurants and cafes. Where the poor and addicts slumped away in dark corners and their mysterious fumes and smells stalked you as you passed by. The allies that wound in sharp corners and circles could leave me lost for hours. If I did not get back to the Chateau in time, Madame Mae would have me lined up for a beating for sure. The shabby little scroll I clenched listed an impossible number of items that would have me late alone. Even if I were not tempted by testing the allies for shortcuts to the busy shops and boutiques I was hopeless. The sky darkened. Oh goody! Running an impossible errand, rain and being potentially beaten, looks like a fabulous day! I thought bitterly as I grasped my basket to my side. The wind picked up, the last leaves of autumn swept by me, pulling me into the clattering chaos of the market. I read the first item on the list, Snapping Dragon Lilies. I braced myself for a very tedious journey.

My cloak hung on my shoulders dripping wet while the weight of my basket added to my labour. Finally, I had fetched everything and all were safe inside the basket. The rain had been pounding down for an hour now while I took refuge in the shops calling out loudly for my orders of bread, potatoes, and tinctures of faery dust, rose perfume, difficult Snapping Dragon Lilies and a whole lot of odd bits that Madame Mae had conjured up just for me. I glanced at my small leather watch, I might just make it. Hurrying out of the crowd and away I quickly located my street, St. Titus. The Chateau loomed a darkening shadow even in the distance. Though I knew that inside, it was hardly dark. The soft pinks, blues, endless coloured rooms, and antique furniture that made the rooms feel over decorated and cramped were warm and sleepy. The girls lingered like dainty little ghosts that lounged around the parlour and chambers, faintly laughing and waving around their fans. I was not one of those girls nor never longed to be one. The truth is that no matter how extravagant and luxurious that Madame Mae made the place, the fact that they were all whores to the rich Lords and Dukes did not save them from the gossip and hushed insults from the women and wives of the town. You may then wonder what I was doing in a place like that, a place I had loathed all my very unfortunate life. I am the one who did everything except sleep around. I cooked for the girls, cleaned their chambers and ran annoying and endless errands to the market whenever the Madame commanded me to do so. Nevertheless, I had a roof above my head and food on the table.
I hurried past the front entrance to the back, down the steep steps of the kitchens. My strength from carrying the basket and bags around was fading. With my shoulder, I push the old wooden door open. The fire was still going and the table was the way it was when I had left, completely prepared for today’s cooking. Finally loosening my grip and shaking the soaked cloak off me, my body eased into the warmth that surrounded me. “You’re late!” Of course, she would find me eventually. “It started pouring rain and the shops were packed. It’s a miracle I got my hands on those Snapping Dragon Lilies” She stood up from a stool in the corner. Madame Made was a foreigner much like me to this town. Her slick green cat like eyes never missed a thing. Her hair was piled high in the usual bun adorned by lots of colourful crystal pins and clips. Her neck and fingers were also shining with jewels. She did of course take sixty percent of all the girls’ earnings. “If it weren’t for me, you’d be in the gutters and allies coughin’ up your lungs.” Was her usual argument alongside a slap or two when one of the girls dared to complain. “Excuses! You’re useless Amber, do you know that? A little wench I generously took in and cannot even show the smallest gesture of gratitude. Worthless wench!” She spat. Oh, you’re just having a bad day because Lord Edliner left Alicia for some eastern mistress.” I thought. However, as usual, she could read me through my eyes, and I was struck within a moment. Due to the strain from the heavy lifting and common tiredness, I let myself collapse onto the stone floor. “Don’t you dare give me looks like that girly, or I’ll have you scrubbing the floor ‘till your fingers bleed!” She hissed, and stormed out. Well, that makes it official then. I bitterly gathered myself up and felt the fiery warmth that spread across my cheek. Edliner has bailed on you and it’s that time of the month again. Now that no one was left to insult me and hit me, I began the tedious task of cooking for twenty-eight whiney tarts.

© Copyright 2009 Ditto (ditto13 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1569442-The-Schatten