*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1569500-A-True-Hitchhiking-Tale
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Contest · #1569500
A true story of what happened in 1958 when my great grandparents picked up hitchhikers.
In the summer of 1958, Martha and George McKean, a married couple in their 70’s headed out on a beautiful sunny Saturday afternoon for a picnic.  The high school sweethearts had been married over fifty years and still absolutely cherished each other.  Retired now they spent their days together fishing, gardening, picnicking, visiting their children and just simply being together. 
On their way to the picnic area George spotted a couple of men walking down the highway with their thumbs held high in the air.  He pulled to the side of the road while the two men approached the car. 
“Where you headed?” George asked.
“Actually we're just going to the next town up” one of the men said. 
“Well, were only going about half that far but you’re welcome to ride with us” George said.
The two men got into the back seat while Martha noticed how weary and tired they appeared.  She had a huge heart and always went out of her way to help people in any way she possibly could.  George loved that she was so full of kindness so he never complained. 
“We’re on our way to a picnic, would you two like to join us before you continue on your journey?”  Martha asked.
“Sure! The name is John “the first man said extended his hand forward to shake hers.
“And this here is Mason, my brother.” He finished. 
Mason held his hand forward and shook hers.  Both men were quite gruff and unshaven, they carried knapsacks that appeared to be full of clothes.  Martha decided they had been on the road for awhile and probably needed a decent meal. 
“So do you have family in Marlboro?” George asked. 
“No, actually from there we are continuing on to California to see our sister.” Mason answered.
Martha started to make small talk to help them feel more comfortable. 
“I hope you like chicken salad and apple pie” she said then continued until they reached their destination.


The picnic area was hidden from the road and rather private.  George and Martha had spent the afternoon here over fifty years ago and it was a special place for them both.  He had asked her to marry him as they had sat together on the picnic blanket sharing  glasses of apple cider.  Now the park was more modern with picnic tables and barbeque grills. 
Martha commented on how deserted the park was for such a beautiful day and George reminded her of a baseball game going on in town. 
As  they got out of the car George opened the trunk and asked John and Mason if they would help carry their picnic basket and a few odds and ends they had brought.  John grabbed the basket and Mason a bag, while Martha headed toward the restrooms.  As she sat down on the toilet she heard a loud bang that startled her.  Worried about her husband and the close range of the sound she tried to finish as quickly as possible.  She made her way out of the bathroom without washing her hands moving quickly toward the picnic area.  Mason and John were standing next to the car yet she could not see George. 
“George” she yelled starting to run toward them. 
Mason and John looked up at her startled.  Now she had spotted her husband laying on the ground.  Running she fell on her knees next to him, blood pumped forth from his chest from an obvious open gunshot wound.
“Help” she screamed yet no one responded.
“Oh my God, please get help!” she could hardly whisper out. 
John and Mason simply stood staring.  Martha tried to pick up George yet was unable as his lifeless body was much to heavy.  Grabbing his wrists she tried to drag him to the car.
“Help me!” she shrieked demanding some assistance.
“Can’t do it, Gramma” John stated matter of fact. 
A tire iron in one hand he slapped it against his open palm.
“Oh, God why?” she asked feeling a sinking feeling in the pit of her stomach.
“Can’t do it, not today” Mason agreed walking toward her and pushing her down forcing her to drop George’s arms. 
John walked forward and kicked her in the ribs as she let out an scream in pain.
“Please, please” she begged, “take what you want but don’t hurt us anymore.”
“Well, we have a problem with that” John stated.  “You’ve seen us and can identify us.”
“No, no I won’t I promise” Martha cried.
John picked up Martha and held her against a tree while Mason punched her in the face and stomach a few times. 
“We are not willing to take that chance” John finished.

When she was severely beaten and what they believed to be dead they grabbed the picnic gear and ran toward the car.  When they were in the car John discovered he had forgotten the keys, he jumped out and ran back toward the old man fishing in one pocket for his keys then rolling him over and stealing his wallet out of his back pocket.  They took off a top speed and left the elderly couple to die.
An hour later a couple who were on late afternoon drive pulled in to use the facilities at the park.  Upon entering the woman immediately saw George laying on the ground.  They rushed out of the car to try to help yet upon inspection they found the man had already died.  Martha although badly beaten was still alive.  Together they brought her into the car and rushed back to town for help, calling for an ambulance from the police station to pick Martha up.  Meanwhile the police went to the crime scene to investigate the murder. 

John and Mason were never caught, however upon seeing the story in the local newspaper several people came forth and stated that they had witnessed two men hitchhiking on Rt. 10 and an elderly couple stopping to pick them up. 
Martha stayed in a coma for several days  never waking up before she passed.  Everyone who knew them agreed that if she had awoken she would have not survived a day without George any way.  They were always meant to be together as much in life as in death.  Now they were together in love in heaven as they were here on earth.

Word count 1060
© Copyright 2009 Madison M (jenniferashby at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1569500-A-True-Hitchhiking-Tale