*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1570927-The-Fight
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Emotional · #1570927
A man breaks up with a woman at a tomato garden.
“What do you mean you are breaking up with me? How dare you!” A high-pitched voice pierced through the previously tranquil tomato garden.

Listen to yourself!” A man exclaimed. “How dare I,” he mocked cruelly. “Everything, Alethia, everything is about you. Have you thought about what’s the best for me?” He gave a derisive snort. “Lord knows how long I’ve had to stand you and your pompous nonsense!”

The fire of anger flooded Alethia’s cheeks, coloring them the same shade as the ripe tomatoes in the basket beside her. “Daniel! You bastard!” She tried to slap him, but her hand was caught in a vice-like grip by the man. He snickered, nose flaring in disgust.

“You’re getting predictable.” He threw her hand away contemptuously. “Pack. Leave by tonight. I will be at Mary’s to help her with her… Things.” His tone suggested that he wanted to help Mary with more than just her things.

The woman watched as Daniel prepared to leave. Her eyes fell to her basket. She picked a few ripe tomatoes and aimed at Daniel’s retreating back.

-Splat!-

More than one got onto his smart business jacket. Two got in his hair.

“You crazy woman!” He turned, yelling at her and got one tomato right smack in his face. “This is ridiculous! You're insane!” He wiped his face and ran off before she could arm herself with more ammunition.

That night, she packed everything she needed into the pick-up she had borrowed. A wild, manic air accompanied her as she emptied a bottle of gasoline around the house. “Daniel, oh Daniel. You’re going to see just what kind of nonsense I’m capable of.”

Alethia lit the matches and threw them, one by one onto the gasoline.

She did not wait to watch the fire engulf the house.

[300 words]
© Copyright 2009 IchigoSakamura (cometo1999 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1570927-The-Fight