*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1571544-Bradinta
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #1571544
Shetay's parents were killed when she was young, but is revenge worth it?
Bradinta



Soaring through the clear blue sky, atop of my brilliant red dragon, is the best feeling anyone can obtain. Flying lower so we could maneuver through the vast trees, I saw the flat meadow at the same time as that of my partner.

We landed with a soft bump; this didn’t bother me as I was used to the rough take-offs and landings. I slid off her back onto a clump of flowers. I quickly stepped off and turned to run my hand over the dragon’s scaly head.

“Good girl,” I said to her, as I heard someone crash through the bushes. But it was only Cahlum, who had been waiting for who knows how long.

“There you are, Shetay. How long were you on Brady for?” he asked as he clambered into the clearing.

“Please, call her Bradinta. It’s hard enough trying to get her used to one name let alone two.”

“Yeah, sure. Sorry.”

I’ll admit, it is a strange name, even for a dragon, but I’d always wanted to name one something original. My family had had a dragon each, my mother and father, my older brother and my older sister. I say had because they’re dead now.

I was almost twelve when an army of dragons, hippogriffs and other creatures that ordinary people can only dream of, had come to our palace to take siege on it and take it for themselves. My family and their friends stood against them. They managed to hold them back and slaughter them to the last one, but they lost most of them fighting. My father, brother and sister lost their lives to the hippogriff riders, whereas my mother was trapped by a dragon and never got out.

Since then, I had been determined to become a rider, never stopping training for friends. Now, on my eighteenth birthday, I could graduate. My boyfriend had never tried to ride, as he had never been an animal lover; he was a ground fighter. Cahlum knew that I couldn’t rest until I had avenged my family. He understood it, he cared about me.

“What are you doing here, Shetay? You should be back at home getting ready graduation.” He walked over and pulled me into a tight hug. He then stepped away and pushed my long fringe behind my ears so he could kiss me. My reddish-brown hair flows down to the middle of my back, though at the moment it was tied up into a tight bun on the top of my head. I broke off first, as I was eager to get back onto Bradinta. I couldn’t call her Brady even in my head as we could hear each other’s thoughts.

Enough of the mushy stuff, she thought, knowing that I would hear.

Speak of the devil, I was so used to her cutting in like this that it didn’t annoy me that much.

No, I’m a dragon, thank you very much.

I pushed Cahlum away and ran to get on Bradinta’s back, as she was getting ready for take-off.
© Copyright 2009 Elizabeth (bubblegum09 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1571544-Bradinta