*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1572154-A-Little-Box
Rated: E · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1572154
A Story For A Contest Enjoy!
         She touched the little box in her pocket and smiled. She smiled for the first time since the accident. Her pale white hand reached in and pulled the box out. She opened the box like she did two days ago and exposed the ring, the diamond sparkled in the moonlight. The 24 karat gold band slid easily on her finger and a small tear ran slowly down her cheek, the taste of salty tears had been all too well known to her while in the hospital. The hospital had been all she seen, in the bed and in the waiting room. She regretted it, she wanted him back.
         They were driving to the restaurant, the ring in his coat pocket. He had been driving over the speed limit by 5 mph like he always did to get everywhere. When they got to the it was exploding with people moving and running around.
         “Thank God he made reservations…” she muttered as they made their way to the table. The waiter and him discussed the dinner arrangements quietly and he ran off to get the drinks. A martini and a beer. By the time to main course was down she was antsy, she had suspected something. The clues were obvious, they had been dating for three years and gotten along amazingly together, they were the perfect couple to be stereotypical. He had it all planned out, they ate dessert and got up to leave. The disappointment on her face showed bluntly and she rolled her eyes. He ignored her and they walked out the door, she was so mad it could be said steam poured out of her ears.
         He stopped and went to the side to tie his shoe. She stood there waiting impatiently. She had gotten all dressed up for nothing she thought to herself as she looked down at him. He tied his shoe as the moonlight shined down on him, so romantically as in movies. The dry grass so soft and wavy as the wind breezed. She looked away for a second and started mumbling to herself about how much a waste of time it was coming here and how if he didn’t propose soon she would have to do it herself. She looked back ready to just walk away if he didn’t stand up soon. She glanced at his face, eager and worried at the same time, her gaze followed to his hand and in it was an opened box. She screamed out in joy and kicked him in the shin. She yelled at him for waiting and how she thought she was going to have to propose and he still hadn’t stood up. He looked at her and mouthed the words, Will you marry me? She clapped her hands over her mouth and started to shed a tear. Her reply was easy and simple. Yes.
         He stood up and she grabbed his jacket in both his hands. She pulled him in closely and kissed him so fast he had no reaction time. He eagerly wrapped his hand around her and they separated from each other. Walking hand in hand they headed towards the car. Little did they both know, their everlasting love was only to last on this earth for a couple more hours. They rode home, kissing at the traffic lights and such. Rounding the bend they crossed in the other lane, that was she remembered.
         She woke up to the screaming of the cop’s lights and the flashing of the flashlights in and around the car. She panicked, looking around, where was he? They stopped her thrashing and strapped her in the stretcher. Loaded in the ambulance she wouldn’t stop looking for him. Lights faded into shades of black and she was unconscious again. Awakened by the night nurse she started to jump up, the night nurse stopped and her and quick called for the doctor to help her. No matter what she wasn’t going to stop, she screamed and cried till she had the taste of blood in her throat and she couldn’t cry another tear and couldn’t see anything in the blur of her tears. Frustration and exhaustion conquered her and she drifted off again, maybe the needle of anesthesia may have influenced it a bit.
         The sound of the doctors voice brought her back to consciousness. When the doctor spoke she tried to remember what had happened the previous night but a lot seemed like a blur. While listening to her thoughts and the doctors she only hear little bits like you can go home, we are going to release you, your husband, the car. She snapped back in the car as it tumbled and rolled on the highway. She screeched and hopped out of the bed still hooked up to the oxygen and started to run towards the door. She got all the way to his room and saw his face. Horrors crossed her mind. That had been the face she had kissed, his lips cut up, the lips that had touched hers just that previous night. The room was labeled ICU and she new that before she even saw the sign. He had been groaning when we were hit, he was screaming in pain. The sounds ran through her mind, she covered her ears with her hands and hit the floor screaming, crying. She fell asleep and woke up dressed with her things in the waiting room. The doctor came out and touched her shoulder slightly and she looked at him. Immediately she started to question him, was he okay, how bad. The doctor looked at her quietly. It was obvious what he had to say. The doctor stood there and she looked at him. She started crying, no, no. He couldn’t be dead. He couldn’t be, the doctor hugged her and walked back to the room.
         She called her friends and they picked her up and dropped her off to home. She walked in the house and stood outside there bedroom. She stared around and stuck her head in the door way. It was too painful, so she backed out slowly. She touched the little box in her pocket and smiled.

Word count : 1033 (not including this note)
© Copyright 2009 patrickxevparth (patrickmax922 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1572154-A-Little-Box