*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1572661-Tim-Finns-Talent-Knows-No-Bounds
Rated: E · Interview · Music · #1572661
Previously published editorial by Jeni Schroff
Tim Finn’s talent knows no bounds
by Jeni Schroff
Tim Finn has become a household name over the years by establishing himself  as one of New Zealand’s most talented musicians and as a highly celebrated songwriter. Last week he spoke to Mail Newspapers reporter Jeni Schroff.
At this point in his career, there is no one who is ever going to tell Mr Tim Finn that anything “Couldn’t Be Done”.
Although his first solo album was released in 1983, the recent release of his seventh – Imaginary Kingdom – simply reinforces the truth that we have known for ages…Tim is a well-oiled music machine and he hasn’t even warmed up.
Tim recently returned from dates in Australia and Europe as well as landing a US record deal, and has now opted to ring in the 34th year of his music career with a much-anticipated concert tour of New Zealand later this month. It will finish with a very special hometown show in Te Awamutu.
Over the years, his incredibly distinct and impressive career has attained cult status throughout the northern hemisphere and been embraced by fans everywhere since his days as founder of legendary 1970s-80s art-pop group Split Enz, time spent in Crowded House, a couple of Finn Brothers albums and a sterling solo career.
Imaginary Kingdom caters to every emotion in the spectrum, from the upbeat, idealistic opening track Couldn’t Be Done, to the moving dedication to deceased Crowded House drummer Paul Hester in Salt To The Sea. Incredibly, all the vocals for the album were completed in about a week while Tim was recording in Nashville.
“We just got a really good flow going and I sang on the tracks when there was very little on them,” Tim says. “Just acoustic guitar, a bit of rhythm, but I think that really worked for me to have that skeletal arrangement and be singing over that and then build around that so you always have the singer-songwriter kind of feeling about the record.”
The album showcases Tim’s softer, wistful side as he tends to take the listener under his wing and lyrically paints and intricate, telling picture of far away places and evocative emotions.
“The album’s called Imaginary Kingdom and when you’re with kids, you have to make yourself slow down and switch off all your adult concerns and cares. You have to kind of go with it and then you suddenly get this little chink and a little door opens up and it’s not like you can go back to your childhood, it’s gone forever, but you can get a little glimpse or a little feeling of it and that’s pretty special and I think there’s a lot of that on the record.”
Tim’s latest release, might take a few listens to completely absorb the intricate melodies and effortless – yet moving – lyrics, but it looks to be another album by Finn which provides enchanting background music that interweaves itself into our hearts and lives.
Be sure you don’t miss the chance to catch this legendary artist at one of his six exclusive engagements around the country. He will be performing in Napier on November 28 at the Municipal Theatre. For more information go to www.timfinn.com
© Copyright 2009 Jeni N Schroff (jeni.schroff at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1572661-Tim-Finns-Talent-Knows-No-Bounds