*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1573350-Chapter-3
by Renee
Rated: 13+ · Other · Romance/Love · #1573350
Very rough draft of the third chapter of my untitled book.
Chapter 3

The doorbell woke me that morning. I rubbed my eyes and stretched before climbing out of bed. Maybe whoever it was would go away. As if answering my thoughts, the bell rang again.
"I'm coming, I'm coming," I grumbled as I slipped into my bathrobe and trudged down the stairs. I opened the door with a yawn.
"Well good morning sleepyhead," Claudia chimed in an annoyingly perky voice. "Did somebody sleep in a little?"
"What are you doing here so early?"
"Early? Ella, do you have any idea what time it is?"
"Not really."
"It's after eleven."
"You're joking," I said yawning.
"Didn't sleep well last night?" she asked as we walked into the kitchen. I poured myself a bowl of cereal and sat by the window to eat.
"Not really."
"Storm keep you up?" she asked doubtfully.
"Something like that."
The gray skies matched my mood. Had they already been here and I missed them? Was that for the best?
"So what's on the agenda for today?"
"Swimming?"
"Today?" Claudia gestured at the clouds.
"It's not raining."
"What about a trip to the mall? You need to get out of the house for a little bit."
"No." What if they came while I was gone?
Claudia watched me carefully. She probably thought I was losing my mind. I yawned again.
"Are you alright Ella?"
"Yeah. Just tired is all."
Claudia surprised me by staying. She flipped through the channels with a bored expression while I continued to stare out the living room window. I had the perfect view and would know immediately when anybody arrived. Claudia shot worried glances in my direction occasionally.
My heart stopped when the truck pulled into the drive. Claudia casually walked over to the window and watched with me. This must have been what kept her from leaving: her morbid curiosity. We watched as four men got out of the truck and began unloading equipment.
"He's not there," I sighed.
"Well good," Claudia joked. "I was beginning to wonder about your taste in men."
I stuck my tongue out at her. We went back to watching tv, the air in the room a little lighter. I couldn't help feeling disappointed at his absence, but maybe it was for the best. Daddy came out of his office and stood in the doorway watching us for a minute. I smiled at him and he grinned back.
"Princess," he said softly. "Maybe I speak to you briefly?"
"Sure Daddy." I stood up and we stepped into the hallway.
"I've been thinking about your request last night," he began with a grin. I beamed up at him anticipating his answer. "You're right. It would be nice for Claudia to stay with us. She practically lives here already. We might as well include her in our family for a few weeks."
"Oh thank you Daddy!" I hugged him tightly.
"One more thing Princess," he said as he took a step back. "We're meeting the Sanders again tonight. They're having a barbecue at their place. I need you ready to go by five thirty, ok?"
"Sure Daddy." I hugged him again and he went back to his office and shut the door.
"Claudia!" I practically squealed as I ran back in the living room. "I've got the best news!"
"What?"
"You're coming to stay with us!" I didn't even bother to ask, knowing she'd be thrilled.
"What? When?"
"Today if you want! I asked Daddy if you could stay with us for a few weeks. You're part of the family now!"
"You're kidding!" She jumped out of the chair and ran to me giving me a huge bear hug. "Oh thank you Ella!"
"Don't mention it. Do you need to go home and get a few things?"
"Yeah, I probably should."
Claudia grabbed her keys and we walked to the front door. I had fully planned on going with her until we stepped outside. My gasp caused Claudia to turn and look for what had stopped me. A grin spread across her face when she saw.
He had just pulled up the drive on a motorcycle and was climbing off. He walked over to one of the gardeners and they began talking, though too softly for us to hear. His face was even more beautiful than I had remembered. No longer covered in dirt and sweat, he was the absolute image of perfection.
"I guess I see your point," Claudia said softly. I couldn't take my eyes off of him to look at her. He didn't look my way and I wondered if that was deliberate.
"Why don't you stay here and I'll be back in a little bit?" Claudia suggested. I merely nodded.
He walked around the truck and was blocked from my sight. I took the opportunity to return inside and return to my spot by the window. He set to work in the front yard. Occasionally he would glance in my direction, but I couldn't be sure if he saw me through the window. Each time I was able to look into those eyes, my heart would begin pounding all over again.
Eventually he moved around to the back of the house and I was forced to move. I took my place at he breakfast nook under the pretense of having a small lunch. My sandwich lay forgotten on my plate as I watched him.
I couldn't remember how to breathe as he worked a meager five feet from the window. Suddenly he glanced in my direction and we locked eyes. He froze and I wondered what he must think of me. Just when I felt the blush on my cheeks, he smiled and my heart stopped. Slowly I composed myself enough to smile back.
How long did we remain like that? A moment? A few seconds? A minute? Longer? I will never know. As long as he looked at me that way, time had no meaning for me.
Our connection was broken when he suddenly looked away. I followed his gaze and saw that one of the other men was talking to him. They conversed briefly and I desperately wished I could hear them. I longed to hear the sound of his voice. He gave me one last reluctant glance before walking away. He went to the other side of the pool and my seat by the window no longer provided me with a good view of him. I stood up, leaving my untouched sandwich on the table, and made my way out of the room. I was headed for the back door, but the doorbell redirected me to the front. I let Claudia in and she dropped her bags on the floor in the front hall.
"So what's up?" she asked.
"Nothing. I was gonna go sit outside. Join me?"
"Of course."
© Copyright 2009 Renee (renee0723 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1573350-Chapter-3