*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1573904-Sammy
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Tragedy · #1573904
A day in the life of a desperate pimp.
Sammy stood in the back alley-way waiting. It was a very cold evening, the full moon lit up the back alley enough for Sammy to see the garbage cans and the cracked pavement almost clearly. He stood there wearing a red vest with a white button up shirt underneath. He was wearing his red slacks, the slacks he had to order from the clothing catalog at work, because, well, frankly, there aren't many places to find red slacks in a small piss ant mid-western town like this. Sammy worked in a small town motel in the little piss ant mid-western town. But right now he was waiting for his company to arrive.

It was getting close to almost half an hour that he had been standing there. “Why didn't I change first?” he thinks to himself as he sits there shivering, watching his breath disappear into the cold night air every time he exhaled. “I feel so ridiculous standing here like this, why didn't I at least grab a coat?”

Just then a big black car pulls into the back alley that Sammy currently occupies. Two big men wearing black suits get out of the car. They are both considerably bigger than Sammy, which is saying something seeing as Sammy is a pretty big guy himself. The two men approach Sammy. One smiles at him and says, “So you got the money Sammy, seeing as you decided to leave Chicago unannounced and flea here. I mean, did you really think that we wouldn't find you?” says the man who got out of the drivers side of the car. The other man just sits there with a big grin on his face as if this was the best day of his life, and who knows, maybe it was.

“I got half your money here, but all I'm asking is for another couple of weeks for me to come up with the rest, I'll get it to you if you give me the chance,” says Sammy hoping that the two men don't decide to kill him now.

The two men look at each other for a second, then the man who got out on the driver side speaks again. “You have two weeks, just two more fucking weeks, and if you don't have our fucking money, I'll slam your head against that brick wall over there so hard that your going to be drooling and wearing a diaper the rest of your fucking life.”

Sammy swallows hard and nods. “I swear I'll have it, now here is the half that I have,” he says as he pulls out a wad of money.

“Put that shit away, give it to me when you have the other half,” says the driving man. “We meet here again in two weeks, same time, your not here, we'll find you, and this time, no more chances.”

“By same time do you mean the time you showed up or the time we were actually suppose to meet?” asks Sammy instantly wondering why the hell he couldn't keep his stupid mouth shut.

The driver man chuckles and turns, “You got a smart little mouth there.”

What happened next happened so fast that if you blinked you would have probably missed it. The man pulled out a pistol and cracked it over Sammy's head. Sammy fell to the ground on to all fours, and as he lay there, the driver man planted a boot into Sammy's chest so hard he was sure he had to have pulverized all of his ribs. “Maybe that will teach you to keep you mouth shut,” says the driver man as he heads back to the car.

The two men drove off as Sammy lay on the cold hard cement. His hands were now turning blue and the snot was now running freely down his nose thanks to the cold weather. Not to mention the blood running from the gash in his head and the fact he could barely breath from the force of the kick.

He slowly got to his feet and started to walk back to the Motel where he worked, which was about a block away from the alley-way. He walked slowly and when he finally got back to the motel he could barely stand. He opened the doors to the place and walked inside. He went behind the front desk and sat down. He still had two hours left on his shift.

Just as he sat down a man walked out of the bathroom that was located on the far end of the room in which the front desk was located. The man looked upset and walked across the red carpet to the front desk. “Excuse me sir, I have been waiting here for almost an hour so that I could get a room and nobody was here, care to explain why?” said the man clearly upset.

Maurice could tell this guy's type right away. He knew this guy was nothing to worry about. “Well don't blame me, blame the big guys who did this to me,” he said as he pointed at the gash in his head, feeling a sharp pain every time he took a breath.

“Oh shit, I'm sorry man, I guess I was so upset I didn't notice you were hurt. Hey, how about you just give me a room and we'll pretend this never happened,” said the man, looking truly sorry.

Sammy didn't say anything just took the man's money and gave him the key to room 17. Sammy saw that the man had slipped in an extra twenty dollars. Sammy didn't know if it was on purpose or on accident but he took it anyways, he needed every extra cent he could right now.

Sammy sat there until the end of his shift. Finally it came. He went outside to his car and started to drive back to his apartment. On his way back to the apartment he received a call from one of lady employees. She asked him to meet him outside of his apartment. He got to his apartment and saw her standing outside of his door. He went up to her. “What do you need?” asked Sammy.

“I'm just here to give you your cut and leave,” she said, not evening bothering to say anything about the gash in his head.

Sammy, who pimped on the side for a little extra cash, took the money and looked at it. He counted far less money than he had expected. He knew that pimping girls in a small town like this wasn't exactly big money, but it was more than what this bitch had just handed over. “Is this it?” he asked.

“Yeah, it was a slow week, that's all I made, I know it's not a lot,” she said getting a little worried, she didn't like the look in Sammy's eyes, she had never seen that look before. It was the look of a desperate man.

“Well, there should be more because I have a new rule. The fucking whore's give me every dime they made or I bust their shit to a bloody pulp.”

“What, Sammy, come on, I need this money, I need food, I need to live, Sammy don't do this.”

Sammy opened the door to his apartment and throw the whore inside. He slapped her hard and demanded she give him the rest of the money. She did, tears flowing down her face. Then Sammy hit her again, and again, and then kicked her. He didn't know why he did this, nor did he even really realize what he was doing until he saw her laying unconscious in a pool of blood. “Fuck,” he said under his breath.

He opened the door to his first story apartment and looked outside to see if anyone was looking. When he saw no one was looking he picked up the whore and carried her to his car. He threw her in the back seat and drove to the hospital. He pulled up to the front of the hospital. He got out and threw her out of the car so that she was laying on the cold cement, still unconscious. He considered for a moment giving her the money back, but decided against it. If he gave it back he would end up dead, or worse.

Sammy drove away from the hospital, beeping so as hopefully someone inside the hospital would hear. Sammy had hit some low points in his life. There was when he dropped out of high school, the multiple times his dad beat the shit out of him (until the day Sammy was big enough to fight back and put his dad in the hospital like he had just done to the whore) But somehow, this was the lowest he had ever felt. He wanted nothing more than to drink. He went to the nearest bar. Before he walked into the bar he made sure he only took out a certain amount which to spend, the rest was going towards the debt he owed driver man and his buddy.

He walked into the bar and ordered a beer. He sat there staring at the T.V. He could hear some people shouting from the parking lot. He looked around, nobody else seemed to neither hear nor care about the yelling that was taking place from the parking lot. Normally, in a situation like this, Sammy wouldn't care either, but he decided to go investigate anyways.

He chugged the rest of his beer and walked towards the doors. He walked outside and saw man and woman fighting. They were both standing next to an expensive looking SUV. The man was yelling at what Sammy guessed was his wife. Then suddenly the man took the womens head and slammed it against the side of the SUV. Sammy acted fast. He ran to the man and grabbed him by the shirt. He punched his jaw so hard that Sammy knew for sure that it was broken. He then took the man and threw him to the parking lot ground and stomped on his face. The man was unconscious. The women stood there looking stunned. She didn't know whether to be thankful for Sammy having just saved her from a beating or to be mad that Sammy had just nearly killed her husband. Finally the lady spook, “Um...thanks,” was all she could muster.

Sammy just stood looking at her, not saying a word. So the women spook again, “Is there anything I can do to re-pay you?”

“Go to the police and tell them what your husband did to you,” Sammy said. “I'll even drive you to the police station.”

The lady nodded. “We can take my truck, or SUV, or whatever the hell it is,” she said, and chuckled a little.

Sammy took the keys from the mans pocket and climbed into the SUV, with the lady climbing in the passenger seat. Sammy drove her to the police station. When they got there they both stepped out of the vehicle. Sammy started to hand the keys back to the lady, but she shook her head. “You take the damn thing, I don't want it. Besides, I'll get enough money in the divorce that I can get a new car,” she said and laughed.

Sammy just smiled and got back in the SUV and started driving. Normally he wouldn't have accepted the generous offer, but he knew exactly what he was going to do with it, and he knew that this mint condition SUV could save his life.





It was two weeks later and Sammy stood in the dark cold alley way again. This time, he had the full payment ready to offer to driver man and his little buddy. This time, he didn't have to wait so long for them to show up. They pulled into the alley-way. Driver man got out on the driver side, his little buddy got out on the other. They walked towards Sammy. “Do you have our money?” asked driver man.

“I do, all of it, every last cent,” said Sammy with a bit of a smile. He was smiling because he knew this was it, he was getting rid of these guys for good.

Driver man took the money and started counting it. Then he nodded. “It took you long enough, but you got me my money.”

Driver man then headed back towards his car. Sammy wanted to jump, because he knew it was over. First thing he was going to do was go visit the girl he beat up in the hospital and give her double what he had taken from her. Then he was going to get drunk.

The black car backed out a little as if it were going to leave, then it sprinted forward and smashed into Sammy. It wasn't going very fast because there wasn't enough space between Sammy and the car for it to gain a lot of speed, but it had been going fast enough to knock Sammy to the ground. That was when Sammy knew his life was coming to an end.

Driver man got out of the car. He came up to Sammy and pulled out a gun. Then he spoke, “You think you could try to run from us when you owed us a big sum of money, and that just because you paid us back everything would be okay? Your one stupid fuck.”

Then driver man pulled the trigger, and Sammy's life was over.
© Copyright 2009 John Jones (gobucky at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1573904-Sammy