*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1573920-Last-Moments
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1573920
The bond between two sisters, Julia and Haven. *3rd place* Paper Doll Short Story Contest!
Last Moments


Thanks, writersblock54 for the lovely awardicon. White's a lovely colour! *Bigsmile*



** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **


My sister, Haven, died after battling cancer for two years. She had suffered from chemotherapy, hair-loss and a haunted, sickly feeling.

As the doctor predicted, she did not last too long. Haven endured the last few months as courageously as she could. The day she died, I felt like I had died as well.

That night, I wept in my bed sorrowfully, for what seemed like hours. As I drifted off to sleep, I remembered all the good times we ever had. The night of my first break-up, and she was there to comfort me. The time my pet hamster, Chucky, died, she took my reluctant self to the pet shop and bought me another. The week before my friend's party, she went shopping with me and waited patiently while I tried on different pairs of jeans and tank-tops, and even offered her views on each one.

When I awoke, I was in... a dream? It was too beautiful for my eyes to bear: everything was pink, just like Haven's favourite colour. Everywhere was blossoming like summer; Haven and I had never seen summer because we lived in a one-season country of gloom. Bright pink trees and leaves, brown tree barks and a flash of green everywhere. The first thought that went through my head was: is this heaven?

Something was glowing among the trees. I edged closer towards it, squinting as I went. The image came to life, taking shape and proportion; it looked like an angel. Colours -- like a rainbow -- merged together, producing an exciting whirl of paints, before the process was done, and the creature stepped forward.

It was Haven. She looked the same, except for that weird glowy thing around her. Her lip ring was still hooked on -- as tight as ever -- her eyes still had that wicked spark in them (except they were now glistening with tears) and she still had on the same clothes -- faded jeans, a blue t-shirt (that I was fairly sure belonged to me) and boots.

Time caught up with the moment as I ran toward her, screaming and crying at the same time. She grinned madly through her tears and caught me just as I knocked into her. "Haven!" I cried, in her arms now.

She just hugged me and repeated silly but soothing nonsense, "Julia, calm down. I'm here. Calm down." It took me awhile before I could and when I did it was because dozens of questions were crammed in my head. I was sure my skull had cracked.

"What are you doing here?" I choked out and she laughed -- lazy and dare-devilish. She gestured for me to sit down before she continued. The grass was amazingly soft. She sat beside me.

"I came...well, to hang around with my little sister. Is that wrong?" She raised an eyebrow.

I shook my head, perplexed. "No, of course not. I just...wondered how you could do it since.. you-you're..." I couldn't say the word so I let the sentence hang. Of course Haven finished it.

"You mean 'dead'?" I nodded, wincing just a little. "Well, they say I'm allowed some time here before I go."

"They? Who are they? And...and where is this place, anyway? Oh yeah, and when you say go, you mean..."

She groaned. "Oh Gawd, Julia, you haven't changed one bit! I thought maybe after my funeral you'd loosen up a bit. Seriously, chill." Then she went on to answering my questions. " 'They' are angels. They are the ones who granted me permission here to see you. And...this place? It's sort of the in-between place among the dead and the living... just before the dead souls take leave and climb to Heaven. And... 'go'... well, yeah. I guess I won't be coming back again." I watched her swallow hard, as if she was trying to get past a lump in her throat. A lump just like the one forming in mine.

"But Haven! What about Mommy, and Daddy... what about ME? Why?" I whimpered now, softly, almost to myself.

"Oh, Julia," Haven said, gently putting her face in front of mine to face me. "I don't want you to be sad. And... and don't worry. One day, Mommy, Daddy, you, me--we'll all see each other in Heaven, all right? And oh, please, Julia, I almost forgot, you can't tell Mommy or Daddy about our secret meeting, all right?" I wanted to spend every single second of my time with her -- time was so precious and she could be minutes away -- so I didn't say anything. "Let's go for a walk down the path," she suggested suddenly.

I followed her. We chatted the entire time there; we had so much fun. So much that I nearly forgot everything. Then, she closed her eyes gently and whispered, "I think I have to go now."

"No!" I gasped, our illusion of perfection was suddenly breaking. "Don't leave, Haven. Don't leave. Please..."

Haven was crying. "Julia, I can't... stay. I have to go. You have to let go of me, Julia," she murmured.

"I don't want to forget you, Haven... or any of this for that matter!" I nearly screamed.

"Wait... hold on. I've got something to give you. So you won't forget me." She fumbled in her jeans pocket and took out something glittery. I squinted at it and realised it was actually an angel -- a miniature version of it -- so tiny it could easily fit in my palm. It was glass. She closed it in my hand. "Haven, I've really got to go know," she told me. "I'm sorry. I love you, kiddo. More than you can ever imagine."

"I love you too," I whispered as she kissed my forehead, her lips cool, before the entire image disappeared and I was back in my room again.

When I twisted my palm to take a look, I wasn't surprised to see a tiny winged-angel in my hand.

The End

(978 words)



Featured in Shadows: A Paper Doll Gang Publication Volume 1, Issue 2



** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **

© Copyright 2009 Sarah~goodbye writing.com (sarah96 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1573920-Last-Moments