*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1574413-Cliffhanger
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Thriller/Suspense · #1574413
My first story. There's a longer version, so read, rate and review people!
Cliffhanger

          Stop.

          All time halted around her. She was caught there, wind screaming at her face, her long, dark brown hair soaking wet from the torrential rain that was pouring from the heavens. Her whole body was numb, but that didn’t matter.

          She felt drowsy and her head was spinning. Her eyes, although once beautiful, a bright shade of light blue with a slight shade of light green that was envied by the women and lusted for by the men, were now a horrid mess consisting of black and red. Her smooth, shaped figure that was the ultimate model’s body was clothed by rags, torn by the brambles on her way here. She had no shoes as they were useless with the down pour and the muddy ditches that she encountered. Her body had deep, long open wounds that were bleeding without end. Her stomach was cut along the whole width, with the thorn that made the gash still embedded into her smooth, supple, slim figure. Yet she felt no pain. But that didn’t matter.

          She looked around her. A white dove was frozen in mid-flight. It seemed so graceful and dignified. How she lusted to be just like that little bird, peaceful and pure. It was oblivious to the surrounding world, like goldfish in a tank. It knew no suffering, no evil or death. Yet why would anyone want to? Wouldn’t the world be a better place if we all agreed on something, anything? Yet that was impossible. The world had been filled with such evil, greed and horror that was impossible to reverse. But that didn’t matter.

          She wiped away two small tears from the corners of her eyes. Someone had once compared them to pure diamonds, perfect and rare to come by. She thought of Jack. Why did he say those things? What would life be like if he hadn’t? Or death, for that matter? But that didn’t matter.

          She felt her toes edge up back to the edge. Her heel slid off the edge. She looked forwards. She didn’t want to look towards the ground. Just don’t think, she thought. Don’t think, just do. She examined her surroundings one last time. The bleak, dark sky. The hammering of the rain. There was no moon tonight. She glanced at her watch: 11:59 pm. Her toes grazed on the rough edge of the cliff as she slid backwards more and more. She began to fall backwards into the dark, cold mist.

          She let out a small, sharp gasp as she disappeared into the darkness. Then she was no more.
© Copyright 2009 Triple Entente (d3kn0w at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1574413-Cliffhanger