*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1575069-Fey
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #1575069
A routine visit to a wooded area....
A dreary summer morning.  No sun, not an inch of blue in the sky, just thick dark clouds ready to leak rain down upon the world below.  I can already hear the soft pelt of raindrops striking the dry concrete around me.  The sea of empty warehouses that I am lost in almost seem to sing as the water hits the metal, and broken glass windows.

         It begins to rain harder and I tuck my arms into my sleeves, hiding from the cold onslaught of water.  It begins to drip down my face into my eyes, blinding me, and I set off into a light run.

         The small section of woods comes into my view, past an empty, destroyed parking lot.  The rain drowns out any noises, and I rush to the trees seeking cover.  I step over a field of trash as I run to the woods.  Nothing but cups, bags, cigarette butts, and even a few needles cover the dead grass that leads into the thicket of trees.  I can feel the sadness ebbing from the place, almost like a warning begging me to turn around, and go home, because I could do nothing but make it worse.

         I ignore the feeling and keep going.  The only thing I am worried about is what I desire most in the world.  My veins itch for it, and I have to blink away the sickening yet seductive thoughts of sedating my hunger for it.  All I have to do is meet him at the spot.  The place of our usual rendevous, where he would be waiting for me now.

         Because of my impatience and quick moving, I barely notice the strange feeling of entering the trees.  A slight nudge at my senses that make me feel as if I am trespassing.  I throw the sensation away almost instantly, no hesitation in my step as I pass through the shrubbery.

         It is dark and humid inside of the woods and there is something strange that sends tingles down my spine.  Rain pours down from the leaves above me, and I wipe the water from my eyes to look around.  The trees reach out for me ominously, and I duck my head to avoid their groping limbs.  I pass by small animals and birds who would scurry and fly away whenever I got near, but today they watch me as I pass.  I return their stares, expecting them to attack, but they sit still and allow me to walk.  I look at some of them warily, and I see sympathy in their eyes.  They watch me as if I am walking to my doom, and I force my legs to move faster.

         I get lost in the woods after only minutes of walking.  I don’t know how I am lost, I only know that I am.  The land seems turned upside down, and thinking about which direction I am walking makes me nauseous.  The rain is still pouring, water racing tears of frustration down my face.  I want nothing but to go home, but those simple directions are lost to my muddled mind and I begin to cry harder.  Then the trees begin to speak to me.

         They ravage my mind with their powerful voices and I fall to my knees, sinking into the mud because it is all too much.  They speak to me of warnings and directions and some are angry at my intrusion but I ignore them and slap my hands to my ears.  I know I must leave before I lose my mind, and I get up from the ground and start to run.

         My head hurts badly but I keep running anyways.  My lust for the drug has been sated by my fear, and  the thought of meeting the dealer slips from my mind.  I concentrate only on pumping my thin legs, but that is not enough.  My head is dizzy and I close my eyes to shake away the sickening sensation, increasing my speed desperately.

         I crash into something.  Something with flesh and bone that knocks me to the ground roughly.  My head is spinning, and when I look up I know I must have a concussion because of what I see.

         She’s a woman.  Just as surprised as I am but extremely beautiful, with long red hair that is decorated wildly with leaves.  She is completely naked, except for a thin piece of colorful cloth that wraps around her body and my eyes drift lazily around her seductive form.  Rain drips down her pale face as she stares at me uncomfortably.  Her eyes are completely black, and I glance away from them.

         “I can smell the poison in you human,” her voice sings wonderfully.

         The trees voices return to my head, more warnings and pleas, and I begin to cry again.

         “Yes I am going to kill you,” she hisses at me.  “would you like to know why?”

         I have an idea why, but I don’t reply.  I inch back slowly, averting my eyes from the divine phenomenon in front of me.

         “We are tired,” and she sighs deeply and I feel a pang of guilt strike my heart.  “You humans take so much and care for so little, and we are tired.”

         I stop because I see a tear fall down her cheek and I know I have done something wrong.  She walks towards me and I don’t try to run.  I don’t try to escape because I deserve whatever happens to me.

         “I have been sent to this wood on a mission.”  I try to look into her black eyes but the sensation is unnerving.  She is so close now I can smell her sweet breath.  A strange warmth ebbs from her body, and I take a step closer because it is comforting.

         “Every tainted human such as yourself will have to die.  The others who still have hope in them shall be spared.”  Another tear falls from her eye, and she steps closer, grabbing my dirty hand in her own.

         “You shall have a taste of our fruits before you are dead,” and in my hand she places a small, bright, yellow berry.  “Something perfect before you die.”

         I slowly put the berry in my mouth, biting into it’s soft skin, and enjoy the sweet juices running over my tongue.  She was right it was perfect.  I close my eyes to savor the experience, and as soon as it begins it is over. 

         “You’re not very smart are you?”  And I am confused.  “I offered you a chance.  You should have taken the fruit with you, and never tasted of it.  Now you must die.”

         I feel stupid but I don’t regret eating the berry.  It was better than any drug I had ever taken.  It gave me a new love for life, and I try to flee, only the taste of the fruit in my mind.

         Something strikes me hard in my back.  There is no pain, and I fall to my knees wondering why my legs no longer work.  Shadows jump on top of me.  They are the same as her, graceful and stunning, with barely anything covering their bodies, but they have swords.

         They are thin blades, but they are sharp, and I feel every strong jab.  The pain is unbearable, and my voice will not work.

         The strangers run, darting with inhuman speed into the nearby trees.  They leave me with thick pools of blood flowing from gashes in my body freely and I notice that the rain has stopped.

         The sun has shown his face above me, celebrating my death.  A light breeze flows through the trees, and I see animals          beginning to appear from former hiding spots.  The trees dance with the wind, and I know I am dying.

         The small berry comes to my mind seconds before my death.  It was the greatest thing I had ever known and I decide my life was worth the price.
© Copyright 2009 C. Brooks (cecjr18 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1575069-Fey