*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1575472-Laughter
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Drama · #1575472
The act of simple laughter


The thick bushy eyebrows, long pointed nose and a moustache that curled upwards from the corners of the mouth looked ridiculous on his face.



I usually don’t pay attention to people’s appearance and particularly on that day as i was pre-occupied with the show coming up on that night at the theatre. It was going to be my first time on stage and already i was losing my wits about me.



I scooped up what would have been the sixth spoon of sugar to add into my steaming cup of coffee; i have a sweet tooth, when the spoon was sent flying across the table to land at the feet of an especially angry looking woman .she must have been having a bad day.

I quickly apologised to her, but i really didn’t mean it. I did not think i was to blame for that, after all someone had knocked the spoon out of my hand.



I turned around to see who it was, a litany of profanities ready to spill from my lips when i was stopped short. My mouth fell open instead. My initial shock quickly turned into amusement and i started laughing. I laughed so hard i fell over the chair i was sitting in. And still i couldn’t stop laughing even if i tried.



Curious faces peered at me, some turning into concern. They hadn’t the slightest idea what had gotten me.



‘Am so sorry,’ he said. ‘You alright?’



And i bowled over again. I couldn’t master the strength to get up so i just sat on the floor. He sat next to me on the floor and apologised again.



‘I just don’t see what’s so funny.’ He said, the lines on his forehead deepening further.



‘What is funny, ‘i said pointing at him ‘is your look’.



Straight out of the 1920’s Charlie Chaplin’s movies. I was sitting here contemplating what character to play tonight, and i guess i got my answer. i hope my audience will have the same reaction to it.

©nangila

© Copyright 2009 chilande (nangila at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1575472-Laughter