*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1575575-Day-Dreamer
Rated: E · Short Story · Comedy · #1575575
Short written for Paper Doll's Gang. 1k words or less, following prompt.
         Walking to the same old haunts became boring, so Gene decided to take the bus to the park and walk one of the trails.  The brisk late morning air chilled, so Norma 'suggested' he wear a sweater, a puffy multicolored thing that, in his opinion, made him look like a christmas ornament.  Gene turned to see if she watched from the window.  She didn't.  He shed the unwanted thing and crammed it in the mail box.  The near-by honeysuckle and freshly cut grass smelled delightful after spending the morning in his stuffy house.  He shoved his hands in his pockets and began to whistle a jaunty tune as he made his way to the bus stop. By the time he finally reached the bus stop and sat down, he found himself already enjoying this walk.
         
         The bus ride somehow soothed him. The engine hummed a steady tune, and the old frame creaked almost rhythmically.  Happy thoughts, comfortable bus ride, soothing engine sounds... Gene woke up with a start and some amount of bewilderment.  How long had he been snoozing? He looked out the window and after a few moments realized he didn't recognize anything. Where am I? The bus slowed down for the upcoming stop.  He considered asking the driver where they were, but didn't want to look foolish.  Couldn't have gone that far...

         Gene looked around for anything familiar. Finding nothing, he set off in a random direction deciding that he could remember where he was if he just walked around and had a look.  He was supposed to be going for a walk after all.  He rather enjoyed the ratio of trees to people here and wondered how many of his neighbors could he trade in for trees.  That 'ud show that damned Jasper a thing or two. Always staring out his window. Make him a tree so he can look at my yard all day long. Gene chuckled at the thought of a Jasper Tree.  It would probably be a skinny, dried-up, narrow thing with all sorts of pokey bits to snag any passerby that might be enjoying themselves to much for its liking.

         The morning died and the afternoon flourished. The earlier briskness became a fond memory as the sun began its descent. The warming air grew uncomforatble for a stranded old man  Happy he did away with the sweater, but still thinking about it, Gene wondered if Norma worried about him.  He supposed he wouldn't mind her fussing over his health right now.  He might be very happy if he saw her face staring back at him when he turned a corner, or saw her hurrying over to him.  Several hours passed since he admitted to himself that he was lost.  He encountered a few opportunities to ask for directions, but in the beginning he enjoyed the adventure in it all.  Now, however, he would be glad to ask for help, if only there was anyone around him to ask.  He also very much wanted to find a place to sit for a while, but found no benches, and doubted he could muster the strength to get back up if he were to sit on the ground. 

         Just as he began to really fret, he turned a corner to behold a truly wonderful sight.  A bench, a bus stop, an oasis, and a promise of resolution.  After the initial relief, Gene took in the scene completely.  Behind the bus stop, two immaculate trees stood in stark relief against their environment.  What kind of trees?  The reminded him of trees he had seen somewhere, a film perhaps. Cherry blossoms? I don't know. He stiffly walked to the bench and carefully sat down, positioning himself so that he sat comfortably while looking at the trees.

         Like those trees in that film with those silly japanese ninja people. Gene imagined he saw someone peek around from behind one of the trees - A slim figure dressed in black, revealing only his eyes, with a slender sword in hand.  The figure tip-toed across the violet carpet of foliage shed from the beautiful canopy overhead.  What are you up to fella? Gene chuckled to himself.  From behind the other tree a beautiful woman wearing one of those strange japanese dresses, a kim-something-or-other it's called, silkily slipped into the other figures arms.  A lover's embrace.

         The warrior gave the lady a twirl and they held each other as they danced for a moment. Oh! You a smooth one! I did the same thing with my Norma. Gene nodded in approval. Yes sir, a little cha-cha-cha here, he moved his hips as best he could while still seated, and a little step-step-slide there.  Gets 'um every time, son.   The two stopped dancing and looked in his direction for a moment. Had they seen him snooping on their private moment? No. The warrior turned just as several more black dressed figures leapt from the trees, all brandishing swords.  The battle turned out to be an intense flashing of metal and agility, but there were too many attackers. No!  The warrior lay dying, embraced by his lover as the attackers vanished into the trees.

         Gene suddenly wanted very much to hug Norma and tell her that he loved the old coot.  The bus pulled to a stop and Gene boarded.  He looked out the window as the bus began to pull away, and waved at the trees. A sudden gust of wind sent the branches stirring. Gene decided that he and Norma should come back here for a picnic sometime.
© Copyright 2009 Joshua Rawls (joshuarawls at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1575575-Day-Dreamer