*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1575765-The-Write-Way-for-Art-Therapy
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: · Monologue · Inspirational · #1575765
Art makes us feel good. Writing makes us delirious.
The Write Way for Art Therapy
By Joyce White
Last edited: Saturday, June 06, 2009
Posted: Saturday, June 06, 2009



Sculpting the Heart with writing, joy and good times. What makes you feel good? What gets your heart beating? What can you do to heighten your senses, self-esteem and put you on the path to self-love? Art makes us feel good.



The Write Way
Posted on June 6th, 2009 in Writing by Winged for Art Therapy

Sculpting the Heart with writing, joy and good times. What makes you feel good? What gets your heart beating? What can you do to heighten your senses, self-esteem and put you on the path to self-love? Art makes us feel good.

No, money can’t do this. Praise helps. Money helps. Sex and chocolate can make you happy for a little while. If you’re like me love and life has beaten you up a bit? Maybe, you are so worn out and hurt that your self-esteem is too low to nurture your natural born gifts. How many times a day do you mutter, “I can’t!” You see, I was there myself. I suffered from chronic depression years ago. Here’s a little known secret that can changed my life. I began searching for joy and identity through creative self-expression. I found the worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt.

Too many of us are over-worked and unfulfilled. The fastest way to accept chance, is to accept Change. There are many ways we can better our lives with Art Therapy, Poem Therapy and Journal Therapy. Of course, any kind of creativity will get our motors going and keep us in a constant mode of excitement. It is thought every one wants to write a book. If you are one of these and unsure of how to go about it, get some help from other writers, artists and poets. Check out the many websites offered on the web.

Every word written or piece of art made is a victory against dysfunction. Writing uses the creative process to improve and enhance the physical, mental and emotional well-being of all ages. It helps people resolve, conflicts and problems; as well as, reduces stress, depression. It increases self-esteem, self-awareness and helps you achieve insight. We writers are like honey bees hungrily searching through a grand buffet of published literature for that speck of pollen we can turn into honey. To write one must have hope. I think most of us follow our gut when it comes to writing. When beginners we might have snatched words, metaphors and ideas from other authors. Even I can twist and turn almost any phrase into a flower that is all mine. This takes practice. No man writes alone without carrying on his back the whispers of others. God closes doors no man can open & God opens doors no man can close. This is called creative expression.

One of my favorite authors who writes on all manners of love and compassion is Leo Buscaglia. He actually taught a class on “love” at the university level. One of his most common-sense ideas is to, never idealize others. They will never live up to your expectations.” He also advises “The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The hardest thing to be is what other people want you to be.” When it comes to rooting through published literature, I try never to write anything that hurts my head, my heart or my conscience.


Did you know that even Abraham Lincoln is remembered for his many wonderful quotes on government, slavery and equality? Passionate writers are all equal in their desire to be great writers. It is compassion that keeps us on the right track. Lincoln says “Let us have faith that right makes Might…” Lincoln’s Cooper institute Address, February 27, 1860. Many writers abide his words when we’re in the flow, “Leave nothing for tomorrow which can be done today.” The Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln edited by Roy Pl., Basier, Volume V11, “Notes for a Law Lecture.” (July 1, 1850?). p. 81. When quoting others, it is important we give our readers a chance to follow our sources by using links. Follow mine for more brainy quotes.

My favorite quote for Lincoln that could apply to writers is “Stand with anybody that stands RIGHT. Stand with him while he is Right and PART with him when he goes Wrong.” The Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln edited by Roy P. Basler, Volume II, “Speech at Peoria, Illinois” (October 16, 1854), p. 273. Writers have a responsibility not to further dribble but pass on reality as best as they can.

I especially like the quote from Alexander Pope, “next o’er his books his eyes began to roll, In pleasing memory of all he stole; How there he sipp’d, how there he plundered snug, And suck’d all o’er like an industrious bug.” It is believed those he who published last will be the best remembered. I don’t want to be remembered for looting another’s words but I don’t often know what I think until I read another’s thoughts on a subject.

I especially like all the books by Leo Buscaglia. How I would enjoy meeting some of these famous artists. Since that is not likely, I am introduced to their thoughts alone and many I fall in love with. I am a child on a mission to meet as many mentors as I can fill my head with. I hope this makes me a better writer. I hope I can inspire others, as well. I also figure if I smile when I’m writing, others will smile, too. The root meaning of the word art is to fit together. We writers fit together our ideas and by combining out words, we make the invisible visual. Words are like wheels. We can’t reinvent the wheel but we can use the wheel to get to where our inner child wants to play. We all know writing in itself is a heart-felt chore. It takes a great deal of heart and pride to write in an entertaining and informational way. We need all the help we can get from other writers including editors and promoters.

John MIlton says, “Copy from one, its plagiarism; copy from two, its research.” He also advises, “Such joy ambition finds.” And, “the city is not a concrete jungle, it is a human zoo.” I love good humor. When it comes to scavenging for unique thoughts, he says “Let his tormentor conscious find him out.” Our own conscious will lead us away from stealing. Our egos will not stand for being second-best to others. It is our passion to be the one quoted rather than the one who steals. My mom always told me, play nicely with others and they will play nicely with you. I think mom would want me to show respect to those I loot from. Many of us have even pounced upon the words of the dead, and shape-shifted them into our own little treasures. I do not think the dead mind that we have shape-shifted their infamous words back to life.

Julia Cameron, in the Artist’s Way says, “Enthusiasm is grounded in play, not work. Far from being a brain-numbed soldier our artist is actually our child within, our inner playmate. As with all playmates, it is joy, not duty that makes for a lasting bond.” Chogyam Trungpa says, “There is no such thing as talent, only awareness.” It is important to be aware of copyright laws and not infringe on each other’s rights. We can have a great influence on others and they can have a great influence on us. To enjoy each other and our works, we must first have respect for how hard each of us has worked to be a good writer.

There are times when I know what I want to say but have a hard time finding the right words. I never steal anything my head or heart can’t stand. This is the write way to freeload and loot with the best of my ability. I cite others when they back my work up. I also cite others when they have contrasting opinions. I think writers have the creative license to create new realities out of old ones. Shall we writers be forced to walk the plank for being creative?

If you’re a beginner, you can eventually clean up your aura by giving praise to others. Plato says, “Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.” Since the world is full of looters who represent the best and the worse of us, it takes talent for us to snatch and rewrite in a grand and over-indulgent way. Unfortunately, no matter what we do; we can’t fake talent by stealing what is not for sale. Web surfing is a great way to introduce yourself to great writers and artists. E-books are hot right now and can be found free and for sale by many talented writers and artists. Come to the party and bring your passion to study the many virtual layers of what is appreciated as “art.”


© Copyright 2009 Winged for Art Therapy (joycewhite at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1575765-The-Write-Way-for-Art-Therapy