*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1576213-Small-Silvery-Moon
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest · #1576213
A painful realization under a misleading moon.
In the midst of the blackness, there was a small silvery moon that seemed to cast light on only Andrew. The soft light made his golden brown eyes shimmer, but all I saw in them was what he had just said to me.

"It's just too much to hold onto, Celie." He moved an inch closer to me and placed his hand on my shoulder. I looked at it before shrugging away.

"What do you mean, 'too much to hold onto?'" The words had escaped my lips before I was conscious of it. "Does that mean you're tired of me?"

"No, Celie..."

"Did, I do something wrong? Did I say something wrong?"

"No, I don't mean that..."

"Or are you just too afraid?"

Andrew stared at me in silence, trying to break through my newly acquired defenses. He was afraid, and I could tell. He had promised me everything, and now he was just running away because he was afraid.

"This isn't how I thought it was going to be," I whispered, staring at the ground. I saw his feet shuffle and I instantly reacted, backing away. "I thought you might actually have meant it, but I guess I thought wrong."
I turned around and let something other than the moon lead me away from him.
© Copyright 2009 Addie K (kailene134 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1576213-Small-Silvery-Moon