*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1578902-TREASURED-POSSESSION
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #1578902
A girl discovers what is a true possession.
“Oh no!  Not again!” Katie heard her father say in frustration.  He was talking on the phone with their neighbor. The up-and-coming storm was going to be as bad as the one last year.  After he hung up the phone, Katie could tell her father was upset.  He always ran his fingers through his hair when he was troubled about something. 
“How bad is it going to be, Daddy?” Her voice almost trembled.  She too was nervous – reminded her of the season before, the pain and horror of last year’s fateful dreaded storm.  She did not know if she could handle another tragedy like last year.
“All right, kids,” Dad said, “let’s head into the shelter.”
Katie, Dad, and her brother all for the storm shelter, but as Katie sprinted to the shelter, she looked back at the house.  Something made her feel uneasy.  Her mind raced through all the things Dad wanted them to do when they had to prepare for a storm. 
Did they have extra batteries for the radio?
Did they have water in the cabinet?
Did they have blankets to keep warm?
In her mind she said “yes” to all the items, but that did not relieve her.  Suddenly she remembered what she forgot.  The picture of her and her mother was still in the house.  “How could I have forgotten it?” she fretted.  Her brother looked at her and asked what she was talking about, but she ignored him.  “Don’t tell Dad.  I will only be a couple of minutes.”  She knew if her dad found out that she ran back the house, she would be in serious trouble. 
“You’re leaving the shelter?  You can’t do that!  You will get in trouble by Dad, and the storm is on top of us.  Don’t you hear the rain?  Please don’t go!” her brother pleaded. 
She looked at him, but really didn’t listen.  She was
focused on retrieving that picture.  That was her link to her mom, her last memory of her. 
“Keep quiet!” She said in a forceful tone.  It helps being the oldest.  She snuck out of the shelter when her dad was on the other side turning on the radio.  He was facing away from the door of the shelter.
Outside, the wind whipped her face.  The rain came down so hard that it made it difficult to see.  Finally, she burst through the kitchen door and had to use all of her weight to push it closed. 
She ran into the living room and up the stairs to her room.  There was the picture sitting on the nightstand next to her bed.  “Sorry for forgetting you, Mom,” she cried.  She hugged her treasured possession, and headed out her room and down the steps; however, she missed a step then tripped and fell.
As she fell down the steps, the picture flew out of her hand landing at the bottom and sliding into the middle of the living room.  As she stood up, she saw the glass in the frame was broken, but the picture was okay.  Suddenly there was a huge cracking noise coming from outside.  The old oak tree suddenly came crashing through their living room window.  As it crashed into the house, a large branch landed on the picture.
“NO!” Katie screamed.  “MOMMY!”  She began to cry uncontrollably, tears streaming down her face. 
Just at that moment, Dad burst into the house and was able to make his way through the living room and reach her. 
“Daddy, I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I’m so sorry.  I forgot the picture of Mom, but it’s destroyed now.” 
Her dad picked her up, hugged her in one of his big bear hugs that she always loved, and told her that he was glad she was okay.  “I wish you would not have disobeyed, but I am so glad you are safe.”  He hugged her again.  “That picture was special, but you are even more special.  I don’t want to lose you.”
When they stepped outside hand-in-hand, they noticed that the storm had died down as quick as it had begun.  As they went to get her brother, she felt calm peaceful.  Although a valuable possession had been destroyed, she had a new-found treasure, Dad’s love was always there – and the best part about it was that he loved her back.
© Copyright 2009 Wildcat fan (kstater at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1578902-TREASURED-POSSESSION