*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1580804-Daddies-Independence-Day
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1580804
A girl and her dying father share one last Independence Day.
“Daddies Independence Day”

The air was cool, crisp and easily taken in as Amy stepped out onto the patio of her beach front home. Sea gulls could be heard in the distance and they often annoyed her, not today though. It was nearly nine in the morning and a good long yawn and stretch was just what she needed. She could feel the fresh oxygen rushing to her head and soon found herself staring off into space. Her thoughts wandered off to a different time and place, a time when she was happier and life was long and worriless.
The sound of a cupboard slamming shut from the kitchen jolted her back to reality. She turned around abruptly and peered inside the back door searching for the source of her daydreams disruptor. Her fathers live in nurse, Susan, a portly middle aged woman with a sweet disposition was rummaging through a cabinet.
“Good morning Susan.” Amy managed to squeak through another yawn. “Oh, good morning dear, how did you sleep?” Susan asked. “So so, I could have used a few more hours” replied Amy. “How is daddy this morning?” The smile that was on Susan’s face soon faded. “I’m just trying to keep John as comfortable as I can Amy” she replied. With that being said Amy departed and began walking along the warm sand of the beach.
Cancer, it was something that Amy had thought she was used to. For the last three years she had seen all different types of cancer and their effects on people day to day. She had worked a cancer ward in the hospital not far from her families’ home. Its was something that she had taken for granted, working with the afflicted and then coming home to a normal, healthy family. Amy lived with her father and younger brother in Chicago. They were left motherless at a young age due to a tragic car accident so she and her brother never moved out. She often dreamed of moving out and traveling around but felt obligated to stay with her father who was often lonely. He never really forgave himself for letting his wife drive so late at night just to pick him up from work. Wet roads and a lack of sleep decided her fate that night. Now so many years down the road, in his late fifties, John figured he was finally getting what was due him with a diagnosis of cancer. It probably could have been treated if it were caught sooner, but now it was in its last stages. The doctors appointed a home heath nurse who was now more of a best friend to John and Amy. The pressure of having a dying father after losing his mother was too much for Amy’s brother Kevin. He left home soon after John’s horrible diagnosis.
With only a few months left on earth, John wanted to move to the coast. He wanted to get as close to the ocean as he could, it was something he always loved and Amy dare not deny her father this one last request. So Amy, her father and Susan moved southwest to San Diego. It was a nice beach property, a small three bedroom home with a nice patio. Best of all, just a short walk down the sand was a pier extending out seeming like forever into the ocean. Amy often took her father out for a stroll in his wheelchair along its old wooden planks. He enjoyed spending his remaining time with his daughter. Kevin telephoned often, but despite Amy’s dismay he wouldn’t visit his dying father. She wondered if he would even attend his funeral.
Feeling a little hungry now, Amy returned from her walk and lumbered into the kitchen to have breakfast. A couple of scrambled eggs, toast and some orange juice were just what the doctor ordered. After finishing off her feast, Amy knocked on her fathers’ bedroom door.
“Daddy?” Amy softly asked. “Yeah sweetie, I’m here.” John replied. Amy sat on the recliner next to her fathers’ bed. He looked so small and frail laying in that bed, hardly the man she remembered just a year ago. He was thumbing through an old issue of Field and Stream, something he always did when he had time. Now that he didn’t have much time left, it seemed like the perfect time. “What’s on your mind sweetheart?” John asked not looking up from his magazine. “Daddy, you do know what day it is, right?” Amy asked. John slowly peered away from the magazine and appeared to be lost for a moment. “No, no what day is it?” he asked. Amy looked at her father and raised one eyebrow as to let him know she was on to his little joke. “Daddy you know what day it is, it’s the fourth of July!” “Oh it is isn’t it?” John exclaimed. They both chuckled for a moment. Independence Day was always Amy’s favorite holiday. When she was a young girl, John would take Amy and Kevin out every year to watch the fireworks displays all over town. They would sit for hours on end all night long and watch the streams of light, color and sparks explode across the night sky. It was something that Amy and her father hadn’t been able to do for the last few years. “I was thinking we could go down onto the beach tonight and watch the fireworks like we used to do, remember daddy?” Amy asked. “Oh… yes I remember, I think that’s a neat idea, we should do that.” John replied. Pleased with her fathers’ response Amy bent down and gave John a hug. “Thank you daddy, I have to make a run to the store for some things but ill be back in time for the fireworks show.” “You go and have a good day dear, Ill be fine here until you get back, and Susan will be here with me.” John replied. “Okay, I love you daddy.” Amy choked, holding back tears of joy. “I love you too sweetie.” John replied.
Amy looked for her car keys for a minute or two before deciding to walk to the store. It was only a mile away or so, and lately even though it was July, the weather was quite pleasant. She stuffed the ear buds for her mp3 player in her ears and started toward the small market. The clouds gathered and made the air cooler than before. The sea gulls finally calmed down, not that she could have heard them anyway over the rock music blaring through the mp3 player. As she walked her thoughts soon began to wonder. What would life be like when her father passed? How will Kevin take the news? What would become of Susan? All of these questions clouded her thoughts and judgment. Amy stepped off the curb of the busy intersection without checking to see if it was safe to cross. The sharp blast of a truck horn brought her back to reality. Amy gasped and jumped backwards tripping over the curb and landing in the green grass. One more step forward and she may not have lived to see the fireworks that night. Frustrated with how careless she had just been, Amy ripped the ear buds from her ears and shoved them into her purse. After catching her breath and regaining her composure, she checked to make sure the coast was clear and crossed the street.
The market place was busy, probably more so today being a holiday. People were gathering up snacks and such for picnics and festivities. Amy was happy to think that she and her father, even with the state he was in, would be participating in the fun and excitement. This was probably the happiest she had been in a long time. Amy gathered up the few items she had come for. Some potato chips, pickles, and sliced turkey for sandwiches, Johns favorite. After paying for the goods, Amy began her walk home. The clouds had started to part and the sun was shining a little brighter now. Sweat beads began to form on Amy’s forehead and she began to wish she had taken the few extra minutes to find her car keys. Being more cautious on the walk home, she arrived just after lunch. Susan was in the laundry room washing some bed sheets when Amy walked in. “How is daddy?” she asked. “He is okay, he just had lunch and is taking a nap.” Susan replied. Suddenly feeling a little fatigued from the little trip to the store, Amy decided to do just the same. She made her way to her bedroom and collapsed onto the bed quickly falling into a good, deep slumber.
Amy must have slept most of the day. When she finally awoke, she looked out her window to find it was dark. Panicking, she jumped to her feet and ran to her fathers’ room. “Daddy?” she called. John wasn’t in his room. “Daddy where are you?” Amy shrieked. A soft reply came from the back patio. “Amy we’re outside.” It was Susan. She was standing next to John who was dressed in a very patriotic button down shirt. John was already in his wheelchair and ready to head down to the beach. Relief came over Amy who rubbed the sleep out of her eyes and walked alongside Susan while she pushed John down to the beach. It didn’t take long for them to arrive at the perfect spot, a nice white sandy part of the beach next to the pier. Several people were already sitting in the sand with lawn chairs and loved ones waiting to see the colorful light show. Amy and Susan laid out a blanket on the sand and carefully helped John out of his wheelchair. As the three laid there waiting for the show to begin, John spoke. “Amy, I don’t know if I can ever tell you this enough, I’m proud of you and I love you very much.” These words alone brought Amy to tears. “I couldn’t imagine spending my last bit of time with anyone else.” His words were cut short by the whistle followed up by the crackle and popping of the fireworks. The three of them laid on the blanket staring in awe at the colorful display in the sky. After several minutes, John turned to Amy with tears rolling down his time weathered face. “Sweetie, I’m happy. I’m happy with how my life has turned out. I’m happy with the woman you have turned into.” He said. “Daddy I love you” Amy managed to mutter through the frown and tears. “I love you too.” John closed his weary eyes. He didn’t open them again.


1,798 words

© Copyright 2009 T.J. Wrathe (tjpreast at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1580804-Daddies-Independence-Day