*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1581795-Hell-Hath-No-Chapter-1--2
Rated: GC · Novel · Fantasy · #1581795
So you've heard about Vampires but this is who started it all.
Chapter One

You’ve all heard the stories.  You must be bitten to become a Vampire.  A gorgeous man sweeps you off your feet and you fall madly in love and spend the rest of eternity together, well right until the sun blows up.

Me, I’m a little different.  I just was.  One day I just wasn’t, and then I was.  There is no other way to describe it.  I wasn’t bitten or seduced.  I just was.  One day normal food couldn’t sustain me.  I became sensitive to light and certain herbs.  I’m so used to my hunger now that I can exist in the mortal world without killing everyone I see and gorging on the sweet liquid on micro centimeter beneath the skin.  The sun doesn’t burn and I quiet like garlic bread.  That’s right I can eat.  Does nothing for me like it would you but I can at least enjoy the taste before getting back to the irony liquid that now holds the only nutrition I need.

Let me get another thing straight I am not a monster.  I have other abilities that allow me to feed with out the person knowing, other than feeling slightly weak for the next day.  That I can’t help but I can make the situation better for them.  If only marginally.  But that is neither here nor there in this story.  You must understand that I have lived for as long as the start of humanity.  Never change.  Never age.  I will forever be twenty one until I find a way to die.  Which I admit has crossed my mind now and then.

The current climate of Vampires through out the world is my fault.  I made the mistake of trying to bring my former lover over to prevent his untimely death.  Now I really wish I hadn’t.  The power doesn’t suit him, at all.  He created those that walk amongst you today.  They are all floored in someway or another.  Like bad copies that degrade the further from the original, they get.  That of course is me.  I am perfect at least in Vampire terms.  They all want to be like me.  Walk in the daylight, live a normal existence among old friends and family members without them ever having to know that the pulsing vein in their neck is calling them to gorge.  It’s like an alcoholic owning a running a bar, trouble waiting to happen.

Sorry.  I haven’t introduced myself.  I now go by the name Siobhan but I have had many others, Anne, Sophie, Cathryn, Nicky, the list goes on.  Changing my name alters nothing about me other than having to get a new driving license and passport.  That is a right pain I can tell you.  I have to register my own birth twenty-odd years before I need to, go though private schooling.  Just so that I can have an effective new, name at the end of it and have a good credit rating.  At this point, my life is meaningless.  I go to college make friends, leave college fall out of the friendships and then repeat.  I own a few companies or rather my trust does which I inherit on my previous names death. 

Now faking my deaths is getting a lot more difficult.  The Police are starting to get a bit clever.  Of course, I own a morgue and am trustee on a few major hospitals so I can ‘die’ then sleep for a couple of days and wake up in my family crypt.  All empty of course.  Autopsies are done a lot more frequently than I would like.  So of course, I have to have a natural planned death, which means faking a disease for the last few years of that particular ‘life’.  I miss the early fifteenth century when I could just claim to have died in a hunting expedition.  Now doctors want to do all these tests to disprove that I have any genetic abnormalities, what with all the women of my family dying in their early thirties. 

Which links nicely into my current problem, Dr Stewart, he’s in his late to mid thirties with a slight bold spot on the crown on his head.  His light blue shirt showing the signs of the summer weather, which he is, was showing signs of being self consonance about.  As he should, it was not attractive, far from it in fact. I knew I was pulling a face but I couldn’t help it.  No one I have ever met in my century’s old existence sweats as much as this man does.  Well there was this one guy, no he was bad but not this bad. 

Sorry I digressed.  He was going to ask me for a blood sample and then a bone marrow biopsy.  Ah.  Now that one could be an issue. This is the fifth time he has asked for it.  He has concerns for my life.  Ha.  I haven’t lived in god knows how long.  He remained behind his desk waiting for me to go through the normal pleasantries so he can pop the question, one I had already said no to.  There was a definite atmosphere in the room.  He was working up to the question, ah bless.  He was trying to be caring.
How do I know what he was going to ask? 
Well I see it in his mind.  His thoughts and ideas were broadcasting to me on a direct channel.  This would be one of my many abilities I appear to have.  Comes in handy I can tell you.  Not only can I read peoples thoughts and intentions, I can foresee their next course of action and even place a different idea in their minds to keep the attention from me. 

I’ve been describe as a witch in the past, you remember the European witch hunts?  Well they were looking for me.  I pissed off the church when the Pope and I had a slight disagreement.  Funny how a gift from god can suddenly be a curse when it’s no use to them any more isn’t is?  Well that’s no my only party trick.  I can freeze and manipulate time.  Great when you need to get away fast.  Of course, I am not a witch.  Not technically anyway.  I have no idea what I am.  Guess I’m some super Wiccan warrior from the pit of hell.  If you believe the Catholic Church which as a rule I try not to.  I mean some of their ideas are pretty good.  Love your neighbor; Thou shalt not kill, and all the other moral road blocks that lend themselves rather well to a civilized society, but all that death and broom stone? Really?

He was still talking at me.  My standard of life would be blah, blah, blah.  I have two medical degrees he couldn’t teach me anything new.  Dr Stewart is one of nature’s plodders.  Great at his specialist subject but has no ambitions.  He’d been in this post for a while.  I’m actually fairly sure he was here before the hospital and it was just built around him.  “Now Siobhan lets get some of your blood, this time I only need one tube.” He swung round from behind the desk and produced a needle.  Instinctively I rolled up my sleeve and waited for him to get closer.  “Why do you need more blood?  I’ll be completely drained if you had your way.”
“More test unfortunately.” The needle was now millimeters from my skin.  I flicked my right hand.  The clock stopped ticking and along with everything else in the room fell silent.  I produced a vile of blood from my pocket and exchanged it for the empty one in his hand. Pushing the chair back slightly I collected a bandage from his desk and slapped it on and returned to my original position.  The blood in his hand was the same as all the other samples I had given.  A nice woman in my apartment block, we do yoga once a week at the local gym.  You have collected the blood you require and have already placed a bandage on it.  You can return to your desk with the blood.  I waited to see the seed grow within his mind then return to my own.  The manipulation of time allows me to feed and people having no idea.  I freeze the room then go to the person and unfreeze they body but not their mind.  That is very important.  Took me a while to master it but when I did I was so grateful and I’m fairly sure they were too.  No screaming.  So when doctors want a blood sample I manipulate time and their minds to think the blood I have handed them is indeed my own.  I haven’t thought of a way to get donor marrow without death and I really don’t want to have another face in my dreams. Flicking my hand again, time started up.  “There all done.  That was so bad was it?”
        “Never is.  Can I go?”
        “We need to talk bone marrow.”
        “No we don’t, now I’m leaving do you need to say anything else?”  He didn’t so I left.  He wasn’t best pleased I can tell you.  I said bye to the receptionist and stepped out into the New York snow.  I love snow.  The crunch underfoot, the fact it allows grown men to act like children.  Of course, it would not happen in the streets like in other countries but it still makes people smile and that makes me smile.  It’s as though it covers the world wrongs, no matter how briefly.  It was also handy as my body temperature is a lot lower than theirs is; I mean yours, in this weather.
       
I’m currently working in an office in the law firm ‘Hatcher and Smith’.  Not as a lawyer, heck no.  Just reception work and filing the usual stuff you might find a twenty one year old doing.  I also worked weekends in a local Irish Bar run by Patrick O’Malley.  Great guy, little odd but it’s not as if I can really talk, can I?  I think I only got the job because of my name but at least it meant I wouldn’t be sitting alone at home thinking about my death.  Or rather lack there of.  I certainly didn’t work because I need the money.
       
Don’t let the movies kid you.  Getting a Taxi in New York is almost impossible.  The wind has to be blowing in the right direction and the sun has to be a certain height in the sky.  Okay so it’s not always that bad but I was already in a fowl mood this morning without having to extract yet more blood from a friend.  Friend was a strong word perhaps acquaintance is more like it.  We only seem to meet to do Yoga and for me to harvest blood. I feel terrible about it.  It’s not her fault that I tend to get her blood for these stupid tests.  Technology is great and finding the cure for cancer will be a big thing, for you.  Personally, I don’t care.  I know that makes me sound harsh and mean and whatever other colourful names you wish to give me but you must remember I am not human any more.  Haven’t been in millenniums so please don’t try and get me to care.

Great a cab, I got in exchanged pleasantries and we were off. He was checking me out, imaging graphical things.  I replaced me with some supermodel off a bill board and got out of his head. Traffic was crazy but in which city isn’t it?  I remember the first traffic jam ever in London.  Oh, it was a sight: All those metal boxes with wheels trying to get to where ever they were heading.  I even owned one, well ‘daddy’ did Gods forbid a woman had her own money without a man.  Sighing, I was going to be seriously late for my Friday night shift at ‘The Shamrock.’  I thought about asking the cab driver to speed up but there was little point, we would get there when we did and that was the end of it. ‘Act of God’ and that, Paddy would understand.  Paddy was the owner Patrick O’Malley.  He is third generation of his family in the states and he accent was flipped on and off like a switch.  I liked that.  We all wear masks when we greet the world; at least Paddy was honest about it.  In many ways, I prefer the bar job to the receptionist position.  I didn’t have to pretend to like any of the patrons and if they got rude or abusive I could actually smack seven bells out of them, never had to yet though.  It was unfortunate.  “Is here alright?”
        “Yeah fine, here.”  I handed him the exact change and got out.  His brain had replaced the model with me; it was not pleasant.  He appeared to be having a good time in his own fantasy world and was off.  Leaving me two down from the bar where Shane was playing bouncer. “Ah come off it Shane.  You could beat your way out of a paper bag!”
        “Evening to you too Shev.”  He opened the door and let me in.  I gave him a peck on the cheek for his troubles.  Shane was a nice bloke.  Simple but sweet, built like a brick shit house but with very little between the ears.  He was some relation of Paddy’s, which meant something to the pub goers.  I was late.  Really late, I hadn’t looked at my watch since getting the cab.  Paddy wasn’t going to be happy.  Then I spotted him at the other end of the bar.  I was right he was not a happy bunny.  Ah well.  The Shamrock was our typical pub.  Long and narrow that opened up at the back.  There was a small kitchen that did bar snacks, bathrooms, store rooms and of course the main office.  Walking though the EMPLOYEE ONLY door, I raced into the office to dump my bag and get out to the bar.  Paddy has a saying ‘Praise in public’ and bollock in private and I really couldn’t be doing with a telling off, even if I am in the wrong.  Stashing my bag in my locker closest to his desk, I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror.  Ah.  Not pleasant.  My abilities have minor side affects.  They use a lot of energy if my nutritional intake isn’t perfect.  Of course, I needed the blood for the tests at the doctor so I was down on my dosage.  Damn it.  I was fluffing and preening when I heard the door open. 
“You’re late.” Now Paddy isn’t a big man but he certainly isn’t small.  He worked out from what I can tell and is far too stubborn to ever give in during a fight.  He was imposing when he wanted to be and quickly overlooked when needed.  He was being imposing.  “I had a doctor’s appointment, I told you on the phone.”  As I said I usually, only do the weekend shifts but Amy had called in sick so here I am to fill the breach.  “That you did but you should have called to make sure I knew you were safe.”  He had no idea.  I could break his neck with one hand.  Sweet notion though.  He was a good boss and I enjoy his company, which is a plus.  I never read his mind as a rule.  I haven’t even tried and hopefully will never have to, “Didn’t think, sorry” I added weakly.
        “Glad that’s sorted.  Now are you coming to work or just stare at yourself in the mirror?”  My reflection blew him a kiss.
        “If that’s what I have to do to get paid.”
        “That you do now come on.”  He gestured for me to follow him out and of course, I did.  I look marginally respectable which was better than I had when I’d walked in.  The occupancy of the bar had increased.  Great it was going to be a long night. “I wonder how long till someone grabs my ass,” I murmured as I passed Paddy.  “Fifty on that guy in oh,” he glanced at his watch “ten minutes,” He pointed to a blonde person in the corner.  “You’re on.”  There was something about that man that was oddly familiar.  I just hope I hadn’t annoyed him in one of my previous lives.  When Paddy and I were on together, we have a system.  He does bar and I do the floor when it’s busy like tonight.  I made a sweep of the empties and returned them to the bar. “He’s watching you.”  Paddy learned into my face. 
“I’m just that HOT,” I wiggled my bum as I walked away.  That would have made him smile.  Making my way over to one of the booths, I felt the too familiar sensation of some drunks hand on me.  “Fancy getting me a beer, darling?”
        “Remove your hand before I break it.”  I spun round and it was a small tween of a man.  “I would also like to see your ID if you don’t mind.”  He went red and hastily removed his hand.  “Now for your ID card,” what he produced was a fake, a good fake but a fake.  Of course, he was only eighteen trying to be the big man in front of his friends.  I’d tell Paddy when I got back to the bar.  I shrugged and moved on picking up the empties.
        “You owe me fifty.”  I held out my hand.
        “No way,” He moved to get the notes from the till. “I really thought it would be the blonde tonight.”  He slapped the money in my hand and I folded it into my bra.  “Oh and that boy has a fake ID.”
        “The one who…?”
        “The very same, you see any move glasses?”
        “Nah, you’ll be right behind the bar while I go and have a word with the patron in question.”
        “Cool.”  I opened the hatch to get behind the bar.  As I closed it, I watched as he went over the lads.  The blonde guy was still watching me.  It was slightly unsettling.  He was nursing a whisky glass in his hands.  It didn’t look like he’d touched a drop of it.  I didn’t have long to ponder this thought as a group of guys stumbled though the doors.  “Seven Guinness’s please,” one of them asked then giggled having given a rough count as to the number in his party.  This was obviously their first taste of the dark brew.  “With pleasure,” I started pulling the pints setting the first one next to the man who ordered.  He went to grab it.  “No.”
        “I’m sorry?”  He was noticeable confused.
        “You have to wait for it to settle, see?”  It wasn’t yet the classic black colour more like a light brown.  He watched in a strange ore as the pint changed to the typical colours, then looked at me for approval.  “Now’s good.”  I nodded as he handed the money over and I started on the remaining drinks.  I chuckled as he pulled a face.  Setting the others on a tray, I walked over to the booth.  “Here you go lads enjoy.”  Like good sheep they all waited until the beer settled then each took tentative sips.  I walked back past tall, dark and blonde-haired mans table and shivered.  That wasn’t a good sign. 

Once back at the bar I opened my mind to his and his alone.  I didn’t like what I saw.  Red, blood and death, he was one of my kin: my bastard son.  He noted me looking and raised his glass.  I nodded then turned away.  He had no idea who I was, or rather, what but he certainly had plans for me.  All involving draining me dry and raping me.  Great I was going to have to kill him. I forever have to clean up after my mistake.  One rough night of sex and a bite and now the world was populated with these creatures.  I am not a proud mother, creator or whatever.  I was resigned to my fate but with the popular fascination with them, I was fighting a losing battle.  He was staring because he recognised that I’m human or at least not completely meaning my blood would be sweeter and make him stronger.  If you can get and drink another vampire’s blood then you inherit his or her gifts or understanding.  You see there is knowledge in the blood.

I know I’m not the only one like me.  Well I hope.  I can’t be responsible for this disgusting race of the dead.  Could I?  Of course, I could and I am.  Paddy was back at the bar.  “You okay?  You seem a little shaken.”
“I’m fine, just a little sleepy.  How long has the blonde been here?”
“Arrived just before you, why?”
“That the only drink he’s had?”  I studied his face as it contorted into his thinking face.  “No has had another.  What’s the matter?’
“Oh nothing, you know me away with the fairies.”  I shook it off as I return to my duties.  It was he or I.  I just knew what he was and wanted and he knew nothing of me.  His death would be swift after I take his blood.  At least that means I won’t have to bleed someone on the way home. Thank God for small mercies right?  This way I could find out what he knew about me that he was keeping hidden from my sights.  You see in order for me to know the full story a normal person, the person would have to think the full story and that rarely happens.  The only time it is when you ask about the whole, story, where the mouth sensors the brain doesn’t.  You do it now.  Think of the last book you read cover to cover.  You only got the highlights right and strung the general plot between them.  So not the complete story only what you deemed to be important to general plot.  Vampires its simple just drink some of they blood.  The more you drink the further back into their history you can go.  It’s quite fascinating really.

The usual bar work kept my busy all night so I hardly noticed when the Blonde walked out the back door.  “Give us a minute Paddy?”
“Sure you go have a break. I’ll cover.”
“You’re an angle Paddy O’Malley.”
“Get off with it you’ll make me blush.”  Brushing past him, I went out the back door, stopping short of the kitchen door that leads into the alley to the back of the bar.  He was here and he was on the phone, “…I’m sure.  No listen I’ve got this cute dark haired girl lined up to me my neck meal… I know… I’ll be there… Don’t panic… She’s a runt off a thing…ah ha… really…”  He started laughing.  Not good.  Really not good, shit.  The voice on the end of the phone was familiar.  The blonde had started pacing in front of the dumpster.  His back was to me, but that means nothing.  He knows I’m here.  He’s waiting for me to step out say ‘Hi’ so he can spin round and … well you know.  Stupid child.  Better, get this over with.  Grabbing the rubbish bag, I stepped out into the darkness.

I felt the familiar sensation as my fangs lengthened, his were also down. I felt my body tense for the blow he was about to deliver.  I could slow time and just do this quickly and I would usually but I was pissed off and this joker was trying my patience.  I would give him a fair fight.  Well no superhuman mind control or manipulation.  My fist collided with his chin before he landed his punch.  I should feel sorry he was human after all, well was born one.  Then again so was I.  He shuffled back.  I stared into his eyes. “How did you…?”
“Do what?”  Okay so my innocent routine hardly ever works but in this case, it might.  Grabbing his phone, he brought it back up to his ear, “Listen got to go this one is feisty.”  He dropped the phone back into his pocket.  “So I will give you two choices.” I suppressed a laugh.  This one was noble, “One. I ignore the lucky punch you landed, and yes I do mean lucky, and we do this the easy way or we go for option two.”
“What would option two be?”  He smirked and slowly started to walk towards me.  If I was a betting girl, I would say he was trying to dominate my mind.  Shame he would fail.  “Option two would not be advisable.”
“But that’s the one I want.”  His hissed brandishing his fangs, I grinned back.  “Mine are much, much bigger.” His face was covered with confusion as I froze his body, not his mind though.  I needed information and he was about to give me all I needed.  Of course, he would feel the pain and panic as I drained him.  As if I care, carefully I unbuttoned his shirt exposing his toned torso.    Glancing round the alley to make sure I would go unseen I moved him to behind the dumpster.  He moved willingly but behind his frozen eyes, I could feel the panic rising as I sunk my jaws across his throat.  The family tension of the skin braking as I found my target his throbbing carotid artery, when I was newly turned I use to pity the ones my lover turned but I come to the conclusion that they are always as guilty as him in the end which means no mercy from me.  Most nowadays beg for it.  Beg to join the Children of the Night.  Above the law and eternal youth even if, it means giving up their families and daylight.  As the liquid filled my mouth I swallowed hastily drinking every drop, I say flashes of his day rewinding from when the alley.

He came to the bar because of me.  He thought he knew me but not from this time from centuries ago.  He’d been to the bar every night this week waiting for me.  Paddy knew him.  Paddy knew him for what he was.  Which meant…?  I felt the impact of something hard against my head and broke away from Blondes neck.  Blood still dripping down my chin I flicked my wrist down the alley before I turned around.  Best they don’t see my face.  I turned slowly.  There was nothing.  My eyes took in every inch of the alley looking for what had hit me.  Nothing.  The only thing I could hear was the rats in the sewer below.  Then what had hit me?  I looked down.  A lone rock sat there in the middle of the crater it had formed after bouncing off my head.  It had to have been that rock as it was warm to the touch.  So what do I do?  Do I kill Blonde and risk being attacked or don’t and risk being killed.  I was kind of hoping to die and all my attempts had failed so maybe…

“Siobhan?”  Oh hell.  This was going to look bad.  Shit.  I was sitting over Blondes lap.  I pushed him closer to the wall the pressure of my body preventing him struggling as I unfroze him.  His eyes instantly found mine. “Long time no see.”  He was calm.  No hint of terror in his voice.  He knew me.  How did he know me?  I looked deep into his eyes and mind and came up blank.  Well not blank he was currently thinking of a blue elephant.  Hardly helpful in this current climate, “How do you know me?”  I hissed the world barely audible to my ears.
“I’m hurt.”  I was still searching his eyes and mind for how I knew him.  Nothing.  I couldn’t place him at all.  “Look Siobhan not that I don’t enjoy you straddling me behind a dumpster in a New York back alley but would you mind getting off me?”  My legs tightened my grip around him.  How did I not know him? “Oh okay Shev.”  He was grinning at me. 
“How do you know me?” I asked him again; his defiance was starting to grate on my last nerve. “Answer me or I swear…” my hand was locked under his jaw increasing the pressure with every second he wasted.  Of course, he would heal eventually but he would be able to feed for months. “You’ll do what break my jaw?”
“Yes.”
“Having a bad day Siobhan?”
“Back off Paddy,” I knew it was him I heard him as he walked slowly and carefully from the kitchen door.  “Siobhan let him go.”  Shit.  This day just kept getting worse.  I returned my attention to Blonde, “HOW?”  I felt the bone beneath my hand start to flex under my grip.  “Paddy a little help?”  His voice was muffled but strong. 
“Don’t.”
“Let him up Shev and we’ll talk in my office.”  My breathing was laboured now matching blondes.  He grimaced as I gave his jaw one final squeeze.  Almost snapping his jaw, with out another glance to Paddy I pulled my shirt over my face wiping off his blood off my face.  “Shirt.  Now!”  I held out my hand and he instantly obliged.  I threw on his black shirt on and made my way back into the bar.  SHIT. SHIT. SHIT.  Now what?


Chapter Two

         I grabbed a bar towel as I walked through heading for the bathroom.  The bar was still busy and Shane seemed happy enough tending to the bar.  “You alright Shev you got some blood,” he gestured to my lip.
         “Yeah fine Shane.”  I headed to the bathroom as saw them walk through the bar.  “Shev, a word?”
         “In a minute Paddy,” the bar went quiet the anger in my voice all too clear.  I glared at him once more before I found myself staring at my reflection in the bathroom mirror.  “Well done Siobhan you’ve managed to…” what had I managed?  What did they know?  Soaking the towel in the sink, I scrubbed of the drying blood off my chin.  I did look better even if I was in some serious problems right now.
         Blonde’s shirt was cotton and quite comfortable.  Crap, I look like the morning after.  Yanking my giant belt from my jeans I moved it up so at least it looked like I had made and effort.  I also rolled up the sleeves.  I studied my reflection.  Well I still looked terrible but at least I could now claim it was fashion.  I heisted by the door.  What if the bar was still watching the bathroom door?  Damn it.  Taking a deep breath, I walked out and headed straight for Paddy’s office.  I hardly noticed the large numbers of eyes on my back.  Honest.
         Blonde was sitting on the window ledge.  His exposed chest framed by his long black leather coat.  Concentrate Siobhan.  I pulled my eyes and found Paddy sitting in his chair behind the desk.  “Sit.”  It was a command.  One he expected me to follow.  “Make me.”  Blonde chuckled from the window seat.
         “Or stand, whatever.  Now it would appear we have a problem.”
         “Sorry, did you just say we?”
         “Yes I did,” he gestured to the chair again.  I moved over and perched myself on the arm.  “I know what you are.”
         “You’re lucky to be alive then.”
         “Oh quit the bullshit Siobhan.  The fact that I know means that someone else also knows.”
         “Who?’
         “You shouldn’t have to ask my muliercula.”
         “I am no little woman and I am certainly not yours Blonde.”
         “Told you she’d remembers me Patrick,”
         “I don’t, who are you?  This is the final time I will ask you before I drain you dry.”  He tensed and hopped off the window ledge.
         “You can try…”
         “Enough.”  Paddy had dropped a book on the table, catching both our attentions.  “There isn’t enough time for that now.”  I scowled at Blonde.  “Enough Siobhan, this is Rupert one of your Elite guard, as am I after a fashion.”
         “You’re what?” I let myself slid from the arm of the chair into the seat. 
         “Come off it.  You know who we are, you must.”
         “Sorry I have no idea what you’re on about.”
         “Alright then,” Rupert was leaning into the chair his face only millimetres from mine, his fangs already extended.  “How about trying to explain why you were attempting to drink my blood?”
         “I have no idea…” he moved his face closer still.  There was something familiar about his sent.  It was like swore dust and musk.  We had certainly met before but when.  “Of course you weren’t Siobhan then.  You were Anne and in a hell of a lot of trouble.”  Had he been reading my mind?  “No Siobhan I just know you.”  I recoiled from his response.  It is true I had been an Anne once and almost got beheaded for my troubles as well if it wasn’t for a young man pulling a switch with another girl who looked like me I would have died at the tower.  The young man had a scent much like this Rupert.  That’s how I knew him, he had saved me, but I hadn’t turned him.  So his current state confused me a little.

         “What is going on?  You,” I looked straight into his eyes, “should be dead and you I just don’t understand.” my attention was back on Paddy.  “You can back up now Rupert.” I slipped him a little smile and he obliged.
         “Of course my muliercula,” he moved to the door and lent against it. I scowled.  “I’m not your little woman and if you say it again I swear…”
         “Fine,” he dropped into a deep bow, “As my queen, requests it shall be done.” He was grinning, bastard.  “Alright then Patrick, please explain yourself.”
         “I was a sleeper.  I was to keep a quiet eye on you and only interfere when you were in danger.”
         “I hardly think draining Rupert would put me in danger.” I felt my lips curl as I remember the taste of his blood.  “It isn’t but if you killed him then you wouldn’t have any help in what is to come.” He poured two shots of vodka.  Obviously, Rupert was on duty. “You can stop talking in riddles.”  I took the glass and shot the liquid down my throat. “Lucifer sent me to watch you.”  The glass shattered in my hands.  How had he? Why now?  “Apparently his experiments on his subjects have become stagnant and he needed to locate you so that he can come and extract your blood.”
         “When?”
         “In about thirty minutes, I should think.”  I flew across the room and held him by the neck against the wall.  “And you thought I should not be made aware that that he is after me yet again.”  I heard him gurgle beneath my grip and Rupert coughed.  I relaxed my grip.  He doubled over on the floor and started coughing.  “To think he thought you’d be out of practice.”
         “Where is the rest of my guard?”
         “Around, now isn’t the best time for introductions I think.”
         “Of course Rupert why, if I am the one in danger, have you been coming to the bar all week?”
         “To observe him,” I shot him a quizzical look, “at his own request.”
         “What?” I spun around so I was facing Paddy again.
         “It was necessary so that you two would meet.  I didn’t foresee him trying to kill you or vies versa but…” he coughed again, “…things don’t always work out how one imagines.”
“If he was a member of my elite guard then he would know me automatically.”  I glanced back at Rupert who was looking quiet sheepish by the door.  “Well about that….”
“What?  So who have you been guarding all these years if you had no idea what I looked like?”
“Your yoga partner…”
“Christine?  You’ve been protecting Christine?”
“Well….it wasn’t really…”
“The truth is no one knew who you were until moments ago in the alley.”
“Shit.”
“Now we must leave quickly.”  I moved towards the door before stooping to face Paddy.  “Aren’t you coming?”
“I can’t.  Not yet anyway.  I need to get Lucifer off your trail.  If I can I will re-join you later.”
“You know what he’ll do to you don’t you?”
“I will heal.”  He was very dismissive about the amount of physical and mental torture he was going to be subjected to.  “I can’t allow you to…” his raised hand stopped me mid sentence.  “It is not your decision it is mine.  Now quickly my Queen please go now, but I think you should exit this way.”  He pushed a button under his table a door way appeared.  “Cool.” No matter how many years pass me by I always find in ingenuity of humans amazing.
“Yes quite, no hurry please…”
“Rupert go check the way please.” He nodded once and stepped through the opening leaving me alone with Paddy.  “Paddy…”
“Please there is no need but if you wouldn’t mind rendering me unconscious before you leave I would greatly appreciate it.”  I smiled back at him as Rupert’s head reappeared.  “All clear.”
“I’ll be there in a ….”  My foot contacted with the side of Paddy’s skull and sent him flying across the room. “… right lets get going.”
“This way then,” 
He didn’t even look slightly surprised at what had just transpired.  As we made our way down the passageway I would myself contemplating on the next course of action and to think my most pressing concern this morning had been my doctors appointment.  So Lucifer was back and out for my blood.  It would appear I was going to have to kill him again.  The thing about him was he never really stayed dead for long.  He has this horrible habit of coming back.  Perhaps third time is indeed the charm we would have to see.
“My Lady?”
“Yes Rupert what is it?”
“We appear to have visitors.”
“Friend or foe…”  I had just enough time to freeze the bullet that was intended for my chest.  “Never mind…”
And just like that, I was on the run again.  I couldn’t even be sure that Rupert could be trusted but he wasn’t shooting at me, which made him the better of the two options I currently had.  We moved incredibly fast but unfortunately the person perusing us had the same abilities as Rupert and I didn’t think it was a good idea to over take my escort.

A stench filled my lunges and I almost vomited.  Human sewers are disgusting. Rupert barely seemed to notice as we took cover behind a tank as the passageway opened up.  It must be some sort of control sub station or something but I certainly smelt the sewers.  Oh, wait no that could be a particular disgusting specimen of a human.  Who apparently chose to live down here?  Not that I blame him it was marginally warmer down here than the street and those extra degrees could save his life.  Rupert would have to feed soon else die from blood loss.  I can’t say I was thinking of his body guarding abilities when I was bleeding him dry.  I would also explain why he wasn’t running that fast or attempting to take a bullet for me, wait.  That’s a point why hadn’t he… “My Lady?”  I scanned the darkness for him to find him located below a series of pipes, almost completely obscured from view.  “You need to feed.”  He watched me in disbelief as I lowered myself behind the pipes to join him.  The collar of shirt slid down exposing my neck.  I could here his thoughts.  With her blood, I could freeze him, regain my strength, and take over the world.  I would be King and in time I’m sure she could grow to Love me.
“I think not!” I shifted by position pulling the collar up to cover my neck completely.  “What?” I rolled by eyes to the direction of the comatose drunk.  “Oh,” he shifted uncomfortably, “How do you suggest I…” I made a gesture with my wrist and once again the world fell silent and under my control.  I could run now.  My power was ebbing I could feel it, but I reckon I could make it to the door.  I turned to my companion and made a smaller gesture.  “Go now and be quick!”
“Yes My Lady” He rushed out from under the pipes and scuttled across to the drunk.  Just before his fangs ripped into his skin I unfroze the drunk, don’t want him to know all of my secrets just now.  He was taking his time and I could feel my concentration ebbing away.  “That enough get back here,” He face rose from the neap of the drunks’ neck, the blood already drying against his skin.  His face showing the effect the fresh, polluted blood was having on his system.  “I said NOW,” I leant my whole weight behind the command shacking him from his trance.  “My Lady?”
“Quickly back here,” as I ushered him back I could feel my pursuers resisting the forces imposed by me.  Time around them was reacting more like syrup that a solid wall.  As Robert banged against the wall, I let go.  The world spun into action, trying desperately to catch up to the time I had stolen, the silence filled with the screams of the drunk and the careful footsteps of those who wished me harm.

I pulled back my senses and hid behind the reinforced concrete wall in my head.  I was too weak to cover Robert completely but I managed to muffle the noises he was making.  The blood from the drunk was contaminated which is why I refused the meal, though I would need some soon.  Once Robert had cleaned the toxins out I would feed from him, in about 6 hours, if we managed to live that long.  Which given the current salutation was extremely unlikely for Robert.  The concrete wall was something I had learnt from the old world when ‘magic’ was freely celebrated and not a sectionable offence.  The mages believe that this mental defence was a way to shield your mind from the will of others.  There had been those would could do certain things but the majority was just technological advancements, unknown to the uneducated.    It hadn’t always been concrete of course but it was the modern building material of choice so it would do, for now.

The scarping of feet against the concrete floor was increasing, barely audible above the back ground hissing and rumbling of the city.  The drunk was still screaming acting as a beacon that we had passed through and that’s what I wanted them to think, that was had passed through.  The shadows moved from corridor moving towards us, my pulse quicken as the shadows moved into my field of view.  One dashed across the room to the exit and out of sight.
“Would someone please do something about that,” the shadow gestured to the drunk.  Good, they can’t hear us, or sense us or even know where we are, they thought we had left.  Then why hadn’t they moved on?  Silence fell across the room as the drunk’s neck was snapped.  I flinched.  I hated that aspect of my life and theirs though that particular creature had no problem, psychopath.
A man stepped out and the pit-bull like creature returned to the side of his master.  His rags and tattered clothes were in direct contrast with his master, his polished shoes, and expensive tailored suit showing no sign of his mad dash through the sewers.  A large square block of a man returned down the stairs.  “No sign Gov,”
“What?” his composure failing slightly, “Nothing?”
“Too many people to be accurate,”
“SHIT”
“Gov?”
“What?”
“What do we do now?”  His calm persona failing as his pulled his hand through his slicked back hair.  He took a sharp intake of breath and turned to face the pipes.  I felt my eyes widened, as he looked directly at me, or rather the pipes.  His features were small and creepy, with one of his sharp green eyes slightly higher than the other on an otherwise well maintained face.  His dark shirt and suit accented by a thin emerald tie.  I’m sure if he had not been attempting to do some rather un pleasant things to me I would have been intrigued but of course that is a foolish notion.  Great, how am I meant to explain this?
Oh god please don’t kill me, it’s not my fault I lost her I blinked trying to locate the other voice, it came from the goon who had lost our trail.  Trying to listen and keep us hidden was draining my essence and I hoped that they would move on soon else we would be in up a certain creek without a paddle.  “She must have gone up to the street,” he shot a venom filled look towards the goon, he flinched, “Let’s get back to the bar and see what our friend is not telling us.”  A wicked smile caused his lips to contort upward.  He was going to take a great deal of pleasure from the next part I had to warn Paddy.  Paddy? Paddy?  I searched in vain to find my old boss’s mind.  All I got was a black hole.  He was unconscious.  Damn it.  He was also moving.  I could feel the gentle rocking of his body.  I allowed myself to smile the suit wasn’t going to get Paddy just yet… but if the suit’s men didn’t have him who did?  “We could take the top root?”  The Suit scowled at him “What I meant to say was… well… she might have doubled back to the bar… you know to rescue Patrick?”  He turned to face him so that I could only see the back of the suit; I immediately had to stop my eyes wondering and regain my concentration. 

The gentle hiss of a value broke Suit out of his trance, “Yes, let’s do that.”  He passed towards the door, “We know she couldn’t have gone that way.” He motioned to the door he had entered through; “No, certainly not,” he slapped the back tracker as he reached the door, who crumpled to the floor.  “Now Gareth, you knew that was coming surely?”  Gareth’s eyes locked on mine as his body fell beneath its own weight.  The Suit pulled out his black handkerchief from his breast pocket and began to clean the blood from the blade.  I blinked.  I hadn’t even see him pull one out, where had to materialised from?   

The sewer grew colder as the Suit and his remaining entourage left, leaving the body of Gareth.  I waited.  I kept waiting but Gareth’s body remained.  Now this is odd.  Usually in a distinct change from the whole character of the Vampire movement, the body would destroy itself in one way or another: ash, flames, water, I had even known the body to explode of shorts leaving a Vampire gulp  pile, but at least destroy itself in some way, and yet, there his body lay.  Untouched and as complete as it had been when it fell.  Interesting, very interesting, I move silently over to explore this new horizon.  Could they have managed to become so close to human that they died as one?  I ponder this thought until I moved around the body of the drunk; Gareth’s eyes were still locked on mine.  He wasn’t dead, yet.  I stumbled landing only inches from him. 

I stared deeper into his eyes, and they, stared back.  I heard shuffling and froze.  Great, the Suit had come back.  “Siobhan?”  Robert was staggering out from behind the pipes, I sighed, and returned my gaze back to this Gareth.  My original assessment of his appearance had been misleading.  He was actually quite attractive for a dead man.  His soul shone back at me from behind his ice blue eyes.  “Siobhan?”
“I’m here,” I whispered not wanting to end this moment I appeared to be locked in.  “Siobhan?”
“I said, I’m here,” I allowed by voice to be slightly louder as the coolness of the concrete spread throughout my body.  “Are you alright?”  I could feel the rush of panic in his voice.  “I’m fine,”
“What are you doing down there?”  I tilted my head. 
“Watching, what, a Corps?”
“Yep,” I returned my head to the floor.
“Why?”
“Something isn’t right.”
“He’s dead.”
“Or not,” I craned my neck further still and my eyes still met by the ice stare of my new friend.  “What do you mean, ‘or not’?” I pressed my index finger to my lip before I answered, “Shh…”
“What the… how can you… we need to…” his voiced trailed away and I heard him pacing across the floor between the two exits, always the guard, never the guarded.  “Shh…”  I prompted again.
“Well I never…  I here to…”
“Shh…”  I felt my mind reach out through the concrete across to the man who should be dead.  I could hear the steady rhythm of his heart and the rise and fall of his chest.  His mind however was out of reach; I was too exhausted to even try, but there was one thing I could tell without any doubt.  He wasn’t one of mine, but not human or at least not completely.  There is something there something hidden, if only I wasn’t as weak. 

I felt someone slide his arm beneath my stomach and pull me up.  The sudden movement causing my head to spin, and yet, my eyes remained on the fallen.  Robert was no cradling me like a child.  “I can walk.”
“Are you sure” the scepticism was clear in his voice.
“Sure,” he slowly lowered me down and my feet almost gave out from under me.  “We have to take him to the hospital.”
“WHAT?”
“We have to take him to the …”
“I heard you the first time, but why?”
“I don’t know.”
“Is he a Vamp?”
“No,” I gazed at the back of his head.
“Then why?”
“I don’t know.”  My voice was amazingly child-like, you know when you ask them why they did something, and they cannot explain; well it was like that.  I have no idea why this was important to me but I had to do something.  Letting him die was not an option.  “We can’t,”
“We are.”  I could feel the tension building between us, I swayed, I needed to replenish and rest and he knew it.  “Very well,” he sighed as he lifted the man with the brilliant eyes.  “You alright to…”
“I’ll manage.”  He shrugged again and took off with me lapping at his heels, though his pace was slow and even I could feel my last reserves of energy failing.
© Copyright 2009 Sarah Sanderson (treacle2k at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1581795-Hell-Hath-No-Chapter-1--2