*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1581874-My-Story
Rated: E · Novel · Fantasy · #1581874
This is a fantasy story. By the way , the **** in the story are the servants of Daycha.
Chapter One
The **** soared through the air with large wings that beat occasionally with the breeze of the wind. His gray cloak flowed behind like the sails of a ship on the high seas. From below, he could easily have been mistaken for a roc, a big bird of prey with enormous strength. It was true that he had good eyesight like one; yet, despite the fact that it was nearing evening, Gareth still had not found what he was looking for. These missions that Daycha assigned to him were becoming extremely tedious. He had accomplished mission after mission and not one of them was challenging enough. Each task was accomplished by him with ease as if he were just flicking away an annoying fly that had settled on his arm, even though he was just a mere hatchling according to **** standards. This time the god had assured him that it would be much harder. Gareth had wanted to believe but doubted Daycha’s word.
Gareth gazed off far off into the distance below. The vast, green pastures stretched outward on the land beneath him. Littered among them were forests of diverse patterns and shapes. Trees swayed in the wind according to its rhythm like little, green reed stalks. Once he saw a small village with what looked like people but he was uncertain. Gareth enjoyed every moment of the life here. A realm of nothingness and space was the realm that he lived in, an emptiness revealing only the beings present. Before he had arrived, Gareth had spent his entire time awaiting the commands of his master. He was finally dispatched on his mission toward this world, a change that Gareth accepted gratefully, lifting his spirits to soaring new heights.
Slowly he turned his thoughts back to his mission. Aware of the fact that his destination must be reached before nightfall, Gareth searched, but the castle remained hidden from his view, concealed somewhere in the worsening light. A frown darkened his face, which was revealed under a low hood. Black shoulder-length hair whipped around his thin face as the rush of the wind continuously slapped against his face. Strapped across the back of his well-built body was a double-edged axe that gleamed silver in the sun. Its handle was short, and had a strong hold. The edge of the axe was sharp, able to slice through a bar of steel as if it were butter. Many a time had it plunged into the enemy ranks, sparing none from its merciless wrath.
Gareth continued on his journey and just when he was about to turn around for fear of having been given the wrong information, he spotted the castle in a small valley, wedged between two hills. Relieved to have finally found the castle, a quite big one in fact, Gareth dived down, wings tucked close to his sides as he speeded down toward the ground. Faster and faster he went at such a rate that even a falcon would have envied it. At the last moment, he spread out his great wings, landing heavily in a crouched position before the fortified gates of the castle. Gareth unhurriedly stood up in an upright fashion as a commotion started to well up on the castle walls. Armed guards hastily lined themselves upon the rampart, drawing up their shields for any protection against this mysterious intruder. Following in sharp order, a group of archers had also taken their positions next to the soldiers, drawing their bows and aiming directly at the single target that stood before them. At the command, a flurry of arrows rained down on Gareth.
Most of the arrows had missed Gareth by a fairly long mark. The rest, he simply evaded with an ease of a fox running from a befuddled dog. A hungry expression appeared on his eager face as Gareth reached behind for his axe, twirling it around in a series of complex maneuvers. “Trapped in a void of nothingness, now out in the open vastness of this world. The opportunity has finally arrived, who is brave enough to cross blades with mine?”
This was quite unexpected to the defenders, and many wore quizzical looks as they once again drew their bows again with unease. A deathly silence followed as Gareth’ grip on the axe tightened. His muscles slowly tensed as he prepared for the second volley, knowing all too well that it would be harder to dodge this time, as they were ready. The next shower of arrows did not come however. From behind the archers, a man had drawn his hand up for the archers to cease. Bows were reluctantly lowered as the archers did as their commander bid, their gazes never faltering as they waited for further commands.
“Who are you and what is your purpose here?” The deep voice belonged to a man in his late thirties. He stood in a rigid pose upon the castle ramparts, calmly waiting for Gareth’s reply. From what Gareth could see, he was clad heavily in full armor of ancient origin. A strange design twisted itself all over its surface, as if bringing alive an arcane magic within the plate itself. It was indeed an armor from a time long past, during the war with the evil mage, Gargonath himself, an era of death and destruction among the many races of *****. After many years of blood and tears and Gargonath was finally defeated, bringing peace back to the continent of *****. “If you are a foe, you’ll regret the day that you ever placed foot in Ashinav,” the general coldly declared, stretching out his sword toward the sky.
“Would that be a yes?” Gareth asked impatiently, fingering the blade of his axe. A feeling of exhilaration passed through him that he enjoyed intensely. It had been a long time, too long since he had felt that same restless feeling inside of him. He had desperately wanted to have a proper fight back then, and now he finally had a chance. Slowly his wings retreated into his back. It was gone a little moment later as if it had never existed. “I’ll go easy on you so lets hurry up and start before I change my mind.”
Wide-eyed with astonishment, Rohnanx seemed hesitant at first as he observed Gareth. The winged-man was unusual but quite sane. His wings revealed that he was obviously not a human. It was also apparent that his speed and skill were far from normal when he had evaded the arrows. This was indeed a skilled opponent. Yet, it did not matter. If his kingdom was at risk, he would do his best to eliminate the evil and to keep the people safe. The general tried to sound cocky, a tactic that he found extremely useful as means to anger the enemy or to discourage them. “It will be quick. One stroke to your measly neck will be enough. It’ll be all over even by the time I start. I am Rohnanx, general of the kingdom of Ashinav. I will acce-”
“There will be no fighting!” A small figure rushed up toward Rohnanx with an enraged look on his face. The general was clearly startled, his mouth hung open and his eyebrows were raised in astonishment.
“Lower the drawbridge. Let him in. Is this how you treat a guest, Rohnanx? Bring him in. Sent by Daycha himself, a mighty ally and an aiding friend. He has been sent to help us in our time of great need. Imagine what would have happened if he had been slain by your archers.”
“But, my king. It was but a…” A furious look from the king hushed him. He grudgingly gave the signal to lower the drawbridge but the outrage seemed to have shaken the guards already, for the drawbridge was already lowered. ‘Perhaps another time then, I will have plenty later,’ Gareth thought as he walked in with a sense of dissatisfaction, fastening his axe to his back.
While entering the castle, the small man that he had seen above hurried to meet him. Despite his height, he had the noble appearance of a king as he was. He was dressed in a robe of rich quality and was wearing ornaments of fine jewels and gold. Placed on his head was a gold crown embedded with rare diamonds and the way he moved was with an air of royalty. The thrilled man held out his outstretched arms. Yet to Gareth, it seemed as if there was more to what the king felt than the happiness.
“Welcome to Ashinav! We have been awaiting your arrival,” the old man said as he embraced his guest. Gareth felt compelled to break free but returned the embrace anyway. He had never had much contact with anybody and the experience made him feel slightly uncomfortable. He quickly let go as the king led him on his way.
“There is a banquet in your honor as I, the king, am obliged to have you inside my domain. If you would allow me to take you to the Great Hall-” the king hastily took Gareth to a large room.
“Don’t worry about Rohnanx. Even if he is my best man, that doesn’t mean that he can be hostile to my guests. He has always been like that ever since his father died and Abaranus adopted him…I’m sorry to hear that my own men attacked you. I do apologize for that.”
“It was nothing. It was a sudden act on my part that I myself am regretting. Charging forward was not such a great act as I had expected.” The king let out a sigh of relief at this, restraining himself from hugging him again.
“We are forever in debt to you for helping us out in these grave days. Indeed, the days have become grim, though I myself have little knowledge of the evil, but let us not talk of these dreadful matters. Today we shall celebrate your coming!”
Gareth was quickly led to his seat at the right side of the king. Many other people were in the room. Their laughter rang throughout the hall as they chatted together with merriment. Gareth felt an aching in his stomach that would soon be gone once the banquet started. He smiled with pleasure at the thought, as dishes were set before him on the rowan tables of the most extraordinary kinds. Roasted boar coated with deep sauce, jars brimming to the top with wine, mincemeat pies fresh from the oven, even a pair of pheasants surrounded by quail eggs. There were many other dishes as well that made his mouth water.
The chatting all came to a stop when the king rose up from his seat. All eyes turned to their king as he quickly gave a small speech and a toast to the guest. Gareth was forced to stand up, all eyes watching him with curious intent. Feeling bewildered and uncertain, Gareth simply said a few words and sat back down. His cheeks burned from all the attention, but no one seemed to notice as they gave a round of applause, returning to themselves as the room retained its normal atmosphere.
Once Gareth had sat down, music flooded the Great Hall. Jugglers and entertainers of the sort entered through the doorway, amusing the guests with their tricks and stories. More candles were lit, more food was brought. The feast had begun.
Gareth helped himself to some bacon as he took a sip of wine. The flavor exploded in his mouth and he took swig after swig until his goblet was empty. It had been a long journey and he was thirsty. Now since his thirst was quenched, his hunger had yet to be satisfied. The atmosphere around Gareth seemed peaceful. The candles lit on the tables glowed with a burning passion. Revealing even the darkest places so that all could be seen and enjoyed. The floor was made of the smoothest marble. The walls of stone surrounded him, not to intimidate but to guard him. Gareth continued to eat, feeling satisfied with each bite he took. His heart was filled with delight as he watched a juggler perform his tricks. Never had he enjoyed a day like this before. While he was in the middle of a boar, he saw Rohnanx approaching him, frowning with discomfort.
“I must apologize, my Lord. If I had known that Daycha had sent you, I would have graciously invited you in. We haven’t had many visitors lately so we were taken quite by surprise by your unexpected arrival.” Rohnanx hastily bowed in humility.
“I accept your apology,” Gareth said with a nod. “General…”
“Please, Rohnanx.”
Gareth smiled with a hint of amusement. “Rohnanx, I must say that you are either very foolish or very brave. Not many people are brave enough to accept my challenge.”
“I am not ‘many people’, but pardon me, my Lord. I had better head on back toward the sentry post. A spy will be coming soon with some very important news.” A sly grin was on his face as he bent forward to whisper in Gareth’s ear, “I’ll see you soon I hope. Maybe a fight next time?”
“Next time it is then.”
Rohnanx slipped away as Gareth quietly chuckled to himself. Stroking his chin with laughter. He quickly stole a glance toward the king. He realized however, that the king hadn’t even touched his plate yet. His eyes were staring off into space, great sorrow deep inside him longing for something, which he could not obtain.
“Is something wrong?” Gareth asked, frowning as he leaned toward the king. The king came to his senses, his sorrow suddenly concealed.
“No, no. Of course there’s nothing wrong. Well, nothing important.  I’m just glad that you’re here. Please, eat and drink. You have been on a long journey and need your rest. We will discuss it tomorrow. Perhaps, I should introduce you to some of the important guests.” The king gave an encouraging smile as he stood up, taking Gareth with him.
There were a few interesting characters as he went around: the Grotur brothers, a frightening match of a knight and paladin, Berthold the Head Cleric, nobles, lords, and even some members of the Holy Order. Of these was a tall bald man, by the name of Aneurin, who eagerly shook Gareth’s hand with a helplessly pleased look upon his face. The king later explained to Gareth that he was the lore master. He was quite a serious man unless exposed to wine and drink. He had been known to jump on tables and sing lubricious songs and it soon became a custom at each feast. As Gareth met each one of them, they praised him with such enthusiasm that Gareth couldn’t help but feel pleased with himself.
The king finally took him toward the last table at which the king sighed with exasperation. “He is always absent from his table, ever since his wife died three years ago in a fire accident. It is a shame that she has left, generous and helpful to our cause. It might be best if you met him tomorrow.”
Before Gareth could ask for the person’s identity, the king continued. “Abaranus is an intellectual man with a great mind. He is a wise adviser and a member of the Holy Order. Most important, he is my loyal friend. Many a time has he helped me in dark times and supported me during difficult moments. His deeds for me are too numerous for me to count. I wish just once that I could do the same for him. Alas, I am getting old and weak and I have neither the strength nor the willpower. What a fool I am…”
Gareth stood there standing in shock as the king stood there in grief. At first, his first impulse was to bring him back into reality but thought better of it and left him to his thoughts. He returned to his seat and continued his meal. The food tasted bland in his mouth now as he wondered about what the king said. He couldn’t make it out and soon he finished.
Upon seeing Gareth finish his meal, a servant led him to his chamber. Gareth took no notice of the room’s surroundings, plopping heavily onto the bed. He didn’t even change from his mud stained travel clothes. His dreams soon engulfed him as he was dragged into a fantasy of his own thoughts. He was dragged deeper in until he finally fell into a dreamless sleep.
© Copyright 2009 Dave Fowach (germyboi at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1581874-My-Story