*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1582018-Obama-Glances-at-Milestone-Eyes-Hurdles
Rated: E · Sample · News · #1582018
A recap of President Obama's press conference on his 100th day in office.
100 Days and Plenty of Challenges

President Obama marked his 100th day in office with his third prime time press conference, Wednesday night in the East Room of the White House.  Obama’s opening remarks reflected the breadth of the challenges confronting his administration:  swine flu, $3.4 trillion budget, economic collapse, turmoil in Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan and healthcare, among other concerns.

Obama referred to his initial efforts in the Oval Office as, “a good start, but … just a start”, characterizing himself as “proud, but … not content.  I'm pleased with our progress, but I'm not satisfied”, before taking questions from several media members for roughly 45 minutes.

No Quarantine of Mexico Yet

Mr. Obama claimed closing the Mexican border to curtail the spread of the H1N1 virus would be “akin to closing the barn door after the horses are out” and that he has “consulted with [his] public health officials … in some cases on an hour-to-hour basis [and] at this point, they have not recommended a border closing.”  Obama also announced his emergency $1.5 billion request to Congress, to track and prepare for any escalation of the outbreak.  However, the President categorized the swine flu as a matter of “deep concern, not panic”, and said Americans should treat this virus just like any other flu, emphasizing their need to take “proper precautions” like regular hand washing and staying home from school or work, if infected.

Auto-Makers’ Life Support

Mr. Obama showed cautious optimism by praising “major union sacrifices [and] debt-holder concessions” and a possible merger with Italian automaker Fiat, for their role in the improving Chrysler’s prognosis.  He added that it’s “prudent for Chrysler to file for all possible contingencies … [considering the] significant hardship involved.”  General Motors, according to Obama, has 30 days to reveal its plan for emerging “strong and successful” from its troubles.

The President reemphasized that he “wants the Federal Government out of the auto business as soon as possible”, and stated “Our first role as share-holders should be to get out.  I don’t want to run banks [and] I’m not an automotive engineer.  I’ve got enough to do.”       

“Torture” Subverts American Ideals and Leadership

“We don’t torture,” Obama paraphrased Winston Churchill’s thoughts from the darkest hours of the London siege, during World War II.  The President reaffirmed his conviction that waterboarding is torture and using such measures “betrays our principles.”  Obama answered his critics’ claims to the efficacy of waterboarding by insisting that while some helpful intelligence may have been garnered through these techniques, the same information could have been gathered without torture.  “Part of what still makes us a beacon to the world [is that we] hold true to our ideals,” Obama concluded. 

Confidence in Pakistan

Obama expressed “grave” concern over the heightening Taliban insurgency in Pakistan, but confidence in the nuclear power’s self-reliance.  “The Pakistani military,” said Obama, “recognizes the hazards of [nuclear] weapons falling into the wrong hands”, and have realized “the[ir] obsession with India as the mortal threat to Pakistan has been misguided.”  “We've got strong military-to-military consultation and cooperation,” Obama added.  He concluded the U.S. needs to respect Pakistan’s sovereignty and his biggest aim is to “help Pakistan help Pakistanis [in the provision] of basic services” to strengthen a “fragile” civilian government.

Specter No Filibuster Buster

The President was welcoming yet realistic about Sen. Arlen Specter’s (PA) recent defection to the Democratic Party.  He cited Specter’s “long independent streak,” adding that he’s “under no illusions that this means [Obama] will now receive a rubber stamp from the Senate.”  Obama reaffirmed his commitment to “bi-partisan solutions” and “finding common ground”.  But, the President cautioned that Republicans need to be willing “to make concessions” in order to reach compromise.

Notre Dame Flap

Regarding abortion and his upcoming, controversial commencement speech at the University of Notre Dame, Obama explained that his chief reason for being pro-choice is his belief that women take this decision very seriously and should be allowed to draw their own conclusions.  The President added that he hopes Congress passes the Freedom of Choice Act, so that he may sign it into law, while admitting the issue is not a legislative priority.

President Obama’s 101st day includes a meeting with Republican and Democratic leaders of the Senate and House Armed Services Committees, and consultation with Secretary of State Clinton and Treasury Secretary Geithner.
© Copyright 2009 Sam Selden (samuelselden at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1582018-Obama-Glances-at-Milestone-Eyes-Hurdles