*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1583990-Infinite
Rated: E · Fiction · Other · #1583990
Are we using water up too quickly?
Kate woke up, had breakfast, read the morning paper, and discovered an article that reminded her of a prior discussion. She and a friend had been shopping and were talking about aquariums and water and how it was God’s infinite product, but soon the conversation ended. However, Kate still wondered - she wanted to know just how a city starts an aquarium. A nearby city had opened an aquarium, and she had added it to her to-do list, but she couldn’t quite muster up the courage to visit for fear of being beneath the water.

In the paper that day, the city with the new aquarium was having a small feud with a neighboring city over water, Kate realized that this wasn’t the first time she had came across the article over their dispute over water. She had an uneasy feeling over people fighting over a God-given resource, so she added “water filter” to her to-do list.

Kate dressed and went to work, the day was very humid. As she walked to her floor, she noticed a beautiful new water feature, and she began to think of how much water was being used nowadays. She had a good day regardless of her thoughts on water. She worked at a theater that held plays from Broadway and famous singers. That day, John Legend was going to perform, and she was very excited - she was a huge fan of his. Kate’s day was full of preparations for the event that she thoroughly enjoyed.

The television was always on in the work area, and it was covering another wildfire in the California. That year, many homes and towns had been ravaged by unexplained, sudden wildfires, and this one was just as bad as the others. Kate, however, noticed with much relief that there had been no fatalities. There was also coverage on the tsunami in the Philippines - the news coverage was very intense, lots of damages and the surrounding areas away from the area had also been hit by the tsunami. The story was covering a small village of people who were trying to stay warm and dry, but their attempts at starting fires indirectly caused wildfires that could not be put out. The rivers near the villages were drying up, and the trees were being cut down at an alarming rate.

David came in to ask questions on the seating arrangements, and Kate’s thoughts soon drifted back to the concert. As Kate pulled out the papers, new coverage came up on the fires in California, and David and Kate watched as the ticker tape ran below. More water was needed, but California was also suffering from a drought. This brought Kate back to wondering where aquarium water came from and why they couldn’t get water from the same supplier to stop these wildfires.

“Kate, don’t you think this is strange?” David asked.

Kate thought for a moment. “What do you mean?”

“Fire, water, not enough…isn’t it strange that there’s not enough water to put out the fires?”

Kate didn’t say anything, so David continued. “If I recall, God said that we’ll always have water, and that the Earth at one time was destroyed by water. But now the thing that destroyed us can’t save us now.” When David heard his thoughts put into words, he was surprised and he noticed that Kate was just as surprised.


© Copyright 2009 P. Gambrell (kpmusic7 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1583990-Infinite