*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1584141-Burden-of-the-Cursed----Chapter-Two
by Indale
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #1584141
The warmth of the Inn is comforting but does unexpected danger hide within the shadows


“Remember, stay close…and don’t get excited” Adam joked, as he watched a cheeky grin appeared on Tinnus’ face. Excitement caused the boy’s tail to wag furiously, and even when tied up and bound behind a cloak, it still would wiggle and weave around which would almost certainly draw the eye of any onlooker.

The door to the Inn opened with an alarmingly loud creak, so much so that the entire populace of the bar whirled its attention in alarm as both Adam and Tinnus strolled inside.

The atmosphere was tense as Adam stood firmly in the passageway with his long sword sheathed by his side. He immediately began scanning the occupants, studying them for aggression or confrontation as Tinnus managed to slam the heavy door shut behind him to keep the storm at bay.

“Welcome to the Viean Inn. Bit late to be travelling don’t you think?” Came a booming voice from the opposite wall, there resided the counter to the bar; a rather large tender welcomed them as he waved them across pleasantly. The occupants turned their attentions back to their sombre drinks and silence as Adam removed his drenched cloak, ran his fingers through his long hair and approached the counter with Tinnus in pursuit.
“Well, surely not late enough to ask for a room for the night for me and my companion?”
“Aye, it’ll be your lucky day my friend, only one room left. So supposing you two don’t mind sleeping on the same bed.” Adam smiled, followed by Tinnus as they agreed it wouldn’t be a problem.
“Well, then it’s 5 pieces of gold for the night, and comes with a free pint of Ale for ya sir.”
“Ah thank you kindly” Adam smiled as he exchanged the currency for the room key and the pitcher of alcohol.

“I’m…a bit thirsty” Tinnus whispered quietly, Adam saw in the young Savag’s expression that he was nervous as he still was fully clothed in his outside gear and wondered what the residents were thinking. Adam nodded fiercely and then asked for another pitcher of Ale.

“Sorry sir, I can’t be serving minors those kinds of beverages, I’ll get in trouble I would” The barkeeper joked. A wide smile appeared on his circular face which seemed to calm Tinnus’ nerves. The young boy studied the man closely, observing his lack of hair and oversized proportion; he could even see the leftover crumbs of bread and whiskey still suspended within his curly beard. But he knew that his eyes were gentle and clam, though he may have had a rough exterior, he could feel, like Adam, that he was a kind soul.

There was a brief silence as the Barkeeper watched the young boy observe him closely; he gently leant on the bar counter and stared hard into the boy’s eyes.

“What else would you like to drink young master? I gets my water from a local spring not far from here and it’s as fresh as can be. Would you like some of that?”

Tinnus nodded, a fresh new smile appeared on his face as he watched the Barkeeper stroll into work with a new jug.

“Here you are young sir” He said, handing Tinnus the mug with sparking clear water.
“Th-thank you sir” Tinnus whispered, his lips met the water almost immediately as he tried to down the refreshment in one loud gulp. Adam just shook his head playfully.
“How much do I owe you?” Adam asked as he turned back to the Barkeeper.
“Aye, don’t trouble yourself. Consider that one on the house with room expenses. But for another—“
“Finished” Tinnus interrupted as he carefully placed the mug back onto the bar counter and blushed slightly in embarrassment. Adam and the Barkeeper just stared at each other blankly until Adam’s left eyebrow curved in waiting.
“—That’ll be 5 pieces of silver”

Adam nodded in kind as the large man began work again on another refill.




Tinnus, now sitting quietly in the corner of the bar drinking his second pitch of water now had time to look at the surrounding environment more observantly, the ceiling was low and wooden, a chandelier of candles lay suspended near the corner and made an excellent job of lighting the room. There were a total of fifteen bar chairs and two large tables situated at the opposite corners of the middle of the room. The table on the left was full of apparent locals whose conversation had previously been difficult to hear was now aloud and begging for attention. Tinnus had observed them watching him as he had approached the corner edge of the right table after Adam told him to rest for the moment. Even now, the occasional glare came his way.

He continued to study the room as he could see a small fireplace by the entrance which was intended to warm visitors on the heavy weather days such as today. A crude wooden stairway lay hidden in the corner of the bar which must have led to the rooms on the top floor he speculated, later he would find out for himself.

Then he could see the bar counter where Adam and the Barkeeper were still continuing their conversation, Adam had purchased a small piece of parchment and was now most likely asking for directions much as planned.

The atmosphere of the entire Inn was very homely, the smell of burnt candle wax and spilt Ale mixed beautifully together in a harmony of tranquillity. The dancing shadows of drunken punters made for interesting puppet shows on the decorated walls thanks to the burning fire.

A couple of minutes passed and Adam joined him on the bench and laid the newly designed map out in front of them. He joked with the boy about the Barkeeper’s drawing skills in crafting the new map but quickly defended him for his generous kindness.

“As you can see, we have to keep travelling along this main road for a couple more miles, and then turn right at this fork, just after the bridge over the River Yates. From then, the woods would get thicker but the road will continue to take us all the way to the city. Although he did warn me of possible bandits in those areas, but assured me that the local guard from the city was dealing with them appropriately”

“So, you believe it’ll be a full day’s journey again?” Tinnus asked, sipping slowly at his pitch of water as he watched Adam take a steady gulp of his Ale.

“Maybe, could be a bit less depending when we wake in the morning, but we’ll worry about that then, alright? How you feeling?” Adam asked; his voice abruptly became sweet and tender yet quiet during the change. Tinnus smiled.

“I’m alright. Tired”
“Perhaps you should get some rest”
“What about you?”
“I’ll be up in a moment. You take the key, and I’ll knock four times, alright?”
“Please don’t be long” Tinnus whispered, his voice was so faint it was difficult to hear. Adam frowned and briefly placed his hand on his.
“I won’t”

With that, Tinnus finished the last of his water and rose quickly from his seat, Adam slipped the key into his hand as he passed him and watched as he started to walk across the bar and bid the barkeeper a good night. His eyes however darted parallel once Tinnus disappeared up the flight of stairs, towards the drunken party opposite. He watched two of the drunks turn their gaze from the stairway and meet Adam’s fierce stare.

His mind was racing, but he had it mostly under control.



“Thank you kindly for your assistance, this will make the journey easier” Adam said as he shook the Barkeeper’s hand.
“Not a problem young sir, I hope the map is clear enough”
“It is indeed, thank you” Adam was almost set to join his companion when suddenly the Barkeeper gave him a quick tug on his sleeve. His eyes were now lower than before and his voice too had lost some of its immediate charm.
“You and your young companion are very brave, foolish but brave.”
“Pardon me?” Adam asked
“It’s not very difficult to notice that he’s…not human, especially when you look in his eyes. I feel I should warn you, some of my regulars here recently came back from the Savag campaign two months ago”

Without having to say another word, Adam nodded, thanking him in silence and proceeded to accompany the young boy, all the time keeping an eye on the drunken party between them, and it was at that exact moment once their paths meet inevitably in the centre when Adam could tell…


They knew.



Adam took another gulp from his Ale, sampling its rich taste and exquisite aroma as he waited for the inevitable conversation, three of the men whom had abruptly quelled their conversation had simply switched tables and were now all facing Adam at his stall. Two of the other men had faced them on the spot; Adam’s heart missed a beat. It appeared as unsettling odds.

“Can I help you gentlemen?” Adam asked, calmly, his lips meet with his mug again and sampled the last drop of his beverage. The men did not falter in their stead. The largest, with a face clearly accustomed with battle and skirmish was most likely the leader and continued the discussion.

“You certainly don’t strike me as a fool”
“Pardon me?”
“Well, we have a wager you see, some of us here believe you’re either a cunning snake charmer; just about ready to deliver his payment to the guard; while others here believe your an incompetent imbecile just looking for trouble” The man turned his gaze dead into Adam’s dark eyes, waiting for a moment of hesitate or weakness, there was none however.

“Which is it?” The man drew his foul alcoholic breath upon him, the mixture seemed dire and sickening.

“Why are you so interested?” Adam asked, the answer was obvious but playing the fool has never failed him before.

“I’d say you’d got yourself two choices here, give us the kid or watch him die”
“I’m-I’m sorry; may I ask why you’re so interested in my baby brother?” Adam said rather smugly, only hazarding a guess that the situation was beyond control, he was determined to end this with no bloodshed.

“Cut the horseshit boy!” The man barked, his palm slamming onto the bench drawing more attention.
“That child is a Savag, I can tell. I have been on that godforsaken island for a gruelling six months and I know an enemy when I see it. Now! Will you unhand him or will we have to take him?”

Adam knew that things were beginning to become serious, the intense tone made his skin crawl and he didn’t know how long he could control it.

“That is enough Erik!” A new and fresh yet firm voice echoed the silent walls.
The Barkeeper had left the side of the counter and came to interrupt the ‘conversation’
“We are simply having a friendly banter Barkeep, no need for alarm” One of the men defended, the largest had now broken his memorized glare at Adam and joined the fray.

“I care little for your banters, but you shall not raise your voice in my pub as well as your swords. Is that understood?”

“Ah ya’ old sod, do we look like we care what you say” The large man bellowed, his voice now had lost the structure of conversation and it was now clear to Adam how drunk this man truly was.

“Enough!” The Innkeeper bellowed; his voice had suddenly become quite stern and hoarse.
“I care little about your drunken tom-foolery, and I will hear none of this nonsense of Savag in my Inn, is that understood?”

“Are you blind old man?!” The thug barked out loud “Did you not see that Savag child just now?”

“Savag? Erik you drunken fool, he was as human as you are too me!” Adam’s eyes rose for the moment, his surprise was quickly melted away however with the sharp accusing stares the rest of Erik’s party was giving him in retribution.

A quick succession of insults followed as Erik and the Barkeeper continued their debacle, the result turned as the Barkeeper lost his temper and ordered Erik and his friends to leave his premises immediately.

“Savag or not, I will not take kindly to hideous words such as yours inside my beautiful home. You sir are now barred until I have a reasonable discussion with your sober self”

His voice was so loud and striking that to Adam’s surprise the gang of drunken thugs decided to turn tail and venture into the storm with nothing more than a dizzy whirl and empty threats. A single warning however was intended at him as they became deafened by the storm but Adam simply let it go once he realised how drunk and idiotic they seemed to him.

A silent moment passed as the entrance door was closed and locked by the Barkeeper once the rabble had left, the man whom so fiercely defended his home stood bold and upright turned towards Adam with the same icy glare towards his customers.

“I’m….Thank you…” Adam started.
“Listen to me, as I said to you before; you and your friend are both very foolish. You have to realise how serious your problems will become if you are caught together, do you understand?”

Adam rose from his bench and stood besides the man whom had risked his own local customers for simple strangers.

“Although I do appreciate your kindness and remarkable charisma; I can look after him well enough. I have done so for the past year without suspicion.”
“Aye, I can certainly tell, the way he looks at you. He’s like a stray kitten.”
“Yes…And I was the one who found him.”

Exchanging a few more words about the matter, the Innkeeper decided that now would be the most appropriate time to turn in for the night, Adam, whom was grateful for the assistance, helped in clearing the bar counter and quenching the last of the torches as the building fell into darkness.

Saying their goodnights, Adam turned towards the second floor stairway and followed its trailing passage into the darkness, he soon found the room where Tinnus laid as a line of light flickered underneath the nearest locked wooden door along the long hallway. Knocking firmly on the wood four times resulted in a bolt behind undone upon the other side and the young Savag standing within the light.

“You were quite some time.” He asked softly
“I know, I’m sorry; I was helping the Barkeeper.”
“I heard a lot of noise.” His tone was slightly worried
“Nothing to worry about really, I was just evicting some of the drunks for the night.”

Adam walked into the plain room, only equipped with two landscape paintings upon the walls, a dusty window, a wooden chest for equipment storage and a double bed just large enough to fit from the left wall to the right. Tinnus sat on the edge of the bed; he had now taken his outer cloak off and laid it carefully on the top of the chest lid. There he sat in his true glory, his cat-like ears were slightly dipped in tiredness and his long thin tail was curled around by his waist and onto the bed.

He truly was a beautiful specimen for his species. Adam thought.

Tinnus watched as Adam unbuckled his leather tunic from his chest and unfastened his belts and scabbard; soon he was standing in nothing more than his loincloth and stunning toned body. Adam could not help but smile once he caught the glimpse of Tinnus’ tail wagging slightly in exhilaration.

“How’s the bed?” Adam asked, standing over the young boy whom looked up at his longingly blue eyes.
“It’s not so bad, better than what I was getting back home” Tinnus joked; his smile brought Adam’s hand lovingly underneath his chin and rubbed gently and caringly.
“I thought you said you were tired?” Adam jested
“I am”
“Then lets get you out of your garments shall we?” Adam was more than happy to assist as he pulled hard at Tinnus’ old battered shirt and let it fall to the ground in a mess on the floor.

He let the young Savag boy toy with his own belt buckle instead of taking charge himself and then laid flat on the bedspread with his arms behind his head watching the view. He watched the skinny build of the teen slowly peel away his attire until he was also dressed in nothing more than his own loincloth. As he stood there preparing to join him on the bed, Adam could see the small patches of golden fur that littered certain body parts of Tinnus’ body, such as his elbows, coated in blond hair and continuing only half way up his forearms. The same appeared on his kneecaps, ascending just a few inches up his thighs where the fur had stopped growing.

Adam playfully patted his fur-covered thigh as he watched the Savag slip on top of his physique and sat comfortably on his lower chest. Tinnus gently lowered his body down and stretched comfortably across Adam’s strong form to bathe in its secure warmth. He purred quietly as he felt Adam’s strong hands caress the bottom of his back, his buttocks and his tail before finally settling around his waists.

“It’s been a tiring day” Adam whispered as he felt his companion’s face lay gently onto his chest, Tinnus simply replied with a soft groan which seemed to identify as an agreement.

“You ready to sleep now?” Adam asked into the darkness. He could feel the slow and easy pace of Tinnus’ heartbeat against his and was unsure whether he was going to be treated with a response at all; it was only until he felt a soft tug within his groin did he chuckle and looked down into the young boy’s glowing eyes and could see his kitten ears pricked upright to attention as well as a overly excited tail wagging in midair.

“Not just yet, if that’s alright with you.” Tinnus whispered; a cheeky grin appeared on his face.

Adam wrapped his arms around his frame and pulled him close for a tender kiss, before beginning his wandering hands onto the boy’s open and willing body.

“Don’t worry; I think we can stay up for another twenty minutes or so”


….


Time had soon passed and it wasn’t long till the bright morning sunrays penetrated the landscape through the thick forest foliage, it was still early when Adam and Tinnus left the shelter of the comfortable Inn and prepared themselves for another day of travel, the passing of the previous night’s storm had left the air scented with the rich crisp aroma of growing plants and flora in the area and as Adam led their horse from the stable onto the main road, they watched the slow drying mud create impressions under their stead.

Tinnus gave a final gaze at the beautiful and lonely building before lifting onto the horse’s saddle, it was there he decided that perhaps again at some point in his life, he may come visit once again. It was there they began their slow progress due east as Adam led them down the mud-spattered trial into the rising sun.

© Copyright 2009 Indale (crythe13th at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1584141-Burden-of-the-Cursed----Chapter-Two