*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1584574-Alzheimers-Prevention
Rated: E · Article · Health · #1584574
Informational article on how a person can prevent progression of Alzheimer's disease.
What Can I Do To Prevent Alzheimer’s?



Can Alzheimer’s be prevented?  This is a question that most people have in regards to Alzheimer’s disease, as it is a sickness that quickly attacks mental, cognitive and subsequent motor function of an otherwise healthy person.  Doctors are struggling with the causes, prevention and detection of Alzheimer’s disease, and although there is currently no proven prevention methods, they have come up with some tips that might help prevent the disease based on the risk factors and symptoms. 



Stay Active

Specialists suggest that a person who is trying to prevent Alzheimer’s disease, stay active both physically and mentally.  Studies have shown that there is a positive correlation between exercising and cognitive function, so keeping your body exercised helps to keep the mind in shape too.  Keeping active with mentally challenging activities such as crossword puzzles, reading, and other intellectually stimulating games can help with neurological degeneration and thus help to prevent Alzheimer’s disease.



Take Vitamins

Vitamins are a recommended supplement after the age of 50, and are especially recommended for those who are at risk for and who want to prevent Alzheimer’s disease.  Although a multivitamin is beneficial for general function, there are a few vitamins that should be used specifically.  Vitamin E and Vitamin C should be taken together once per day to prevent Alzheimer’s disease, and twice per day if memory function is declining.  Vitamin B12 and folate are also considered brain protective agents, and have the ability to keep homocysteine under control.  These vitamins are typically taken orally, though they can be consumed via muscular injection if necessary.



Control Cholesterol

High cholesterol levels are associated with arteriosclerotic vascular disease, which is subsequently related to heart disease and stroke, a main factor in neurological deterioration.  Cholesterol can be controlled with medication, but people can do a great deal to naturally prevent cholesterol levels from becoming high.  A good diet free of animal fat, and high in fish oils (salmon, tuna, swordfish) can help lower cholesterol as well as improve cognitive function with Omega 3 fatty acids, a supplement directly related to improved mental cognition.



Estrogen Replacement For Post-Menopausal Females

Because being a female is the most prevalent risk factor associated with Alzheimer’s disease, menopause and loss of estrogen can lead to a higher likelihood of getting the disease.  Women can take synthetic estrogen hormones once they begin menopause to help prevent Alzheimer’s disease.  This should be done strictly under the supervision of a physician to insure proper dosage and administration.



Eat Healthy

The easiest way to prevent Alzheimer’s disease is to follow a healthy eating regimen.  It takes little effort and a person will benefit in many ways in addition to lowering their risks for Alzheimer’s disease.  A diet low in fat and cholesterol and high in beneficial foods such as broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, green leafy and other cruciferous vegetables provide the body with vitamins that are often deficient in the diets of those who have Alzheimer’s disease.  Getting a variety of these foods on a daily basis is recommended not only for those who want to prevent Alzheimer’s disease, but anyone who wants to keep their body healthy and energetic.



Alzheimer’s disease leaves doctors and patient’s puzzled with its course and reasoning.  Although much remains to be answered about this disease, there are a few consistencies that seem to work when it comes to preventing Alzheimer’s disease.  Eating healthy, staying active, staying well supplemented with vitamins, and controlling cholesterol are the major ways to prevent Alzheimer’s disease.  Studies are constantly being conducted and experiments are being performed to understand and alleviate Alzheimer’s disease from plaguing the human condition.



© Copyright 2009 Charissa Mennell (cmennell at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1584574-Alzheimers-Prevention