*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1586342-Scarlet-Dawn
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Fantasy · #1586342
Robert Teller seeks revenge on another wizard.
                Amdis had waited for this moment since he realized that he alone would reshape the modern world. People feared magick, whether it was condoned by the Elders of the Arcane Arts or not. He would have to change their views.



         Fifty years earlier, a young man named Robert Martin Teller attended the College of the Proper Use of Magick. Robert Teller was praised by his professors, never before did a student have such mastery over magick by his fifth year (the number required for mage status, or a bachelors degree, in half-human terms.) But by his fifth year Robert had changed. He believed creatures that could use the magickal energies of the world were dominant, and that half-humans and other creatures that were non-magickal should be the lesser species.



         He soon verbally assaulted his professors, the very same ones who had given him straight A’s in every course (except for fortune-telling, which he believed was rubbish.) His fortune-telling professor was the first to be attacked. “Seer Thorn and her entire course are complete garbage.” He was quoted in another article, “The word ‘Seer’ is another term for the word ‘whacked’.”



         After more of these attacks, Robert was stripped of his mage status by Frederick Godric, Archmage of the College, and Robert became very bitter and dark. In his fury, Robert gathered a small following and planned a physical attack on Frederick.



         The attack took place during Fredericks’ speech to the class of 1964, in which the students were accepted into the College, a very chaotic and eventful time. Students sat in their seats, staying in constant motion. Some had dozed off completely.



         Without warning, Roberts’ followers teleported into the school courtyard. Figures burst from the violet smoke (which engulfed the user during the teleportation process) flinging Grim (or lethal) spells in every direction. The awestruck students panicked and ran. Large explosions sent bodies flying, and jet streams of green and blue mangled many other students. Robert himself waited for a good chance to murder Frederick. He sat smiling behind an Illusion spell of invisibility.



         Robert saw his chance and ran madly into the fray wearing a scarlet, hooded, robe. He pointed his wand at Frederick and a ball of white energy shot from its gold lpated tip. Frederick used a Counterspell that deflected the orb and then conjured a protective spell around his body. Robert fired another orb, and Frederick fired his own so the two spells would slam into each other. And slam they did. The two orbs crashed violently into one another, followed by a deafening BOOM and gale force winds that threw objects into the air at dangerous speeds.



         They battled for another five minutes. By the battles end, Robert lay crippled and near death. In a last ditch effort, Robert blinded Frederick and managed to teleport out of the battle. Enraged, Frederick then slaughtered all but two of Roberts followers, who had also managed to teleport to safety.



         The assault was on the front page of every news paper, and one reporter called Robert “the Corrupter.” His new title became popular among the masses, but Robert himself despised the name. He had begun to call himself Amdis.



         He brooded for many years until he had a large, cult like, following. During this period he became very powerful. Through his magickal abilities he could move his ravaged limbs and walk, but he preferred flying through the air and letting his legs swing limply.



         Fifty years after Frederick had defeated Robert, he was frail and on his deathbed. And one evening, a very ironic evening, Amdis silently opened Fredericks' bedroom window. Wearing his scarlet robes, Amdis hovered over to Fredericks’ bed.



         Amdis brandished a face-long smile, a smile that showed his perfect teeth, and it reflected well on Amdis’ handsome appearance. “I couldn’t tell you,” he said, “how over joyed I am to see you in just one word.” He laughed coarsely and manipulated his age to match Fredericks.



         His deep, brown hair turned white and it fell in large clumps. He turned a ghostly white, and his skin became wrinkled everywhere possibly imaginable. Even his muscle, which usually filled his cloak to a near bursting point, had managed to evaporate. Amdis was now paper-thin.



         Amdis threw up his arms and shrieked a very phony shriek, which was hardly a shriek thanks to his withered lungs. “One hundred and sixty four years you’ve lived.” Amdis said after many moments of silence. “You look your age, Frederick. But me,” he paused, “I can adjust my age at will.” He hovered very close to Frederick, who sat feebly, unable to move or cry out.



         “I am seventy years old.” He stated. He looked one hundred and sixty four years old. A toothy smile emerged on his face. His hair grew back to its natural brown color (the hair that was still there followed suite) and his skin returned to its normal color (his physique improved, also.) “They say that wizards who used High Magick (magick without the use of wands, which was long dead) could live for half a millennium.”



         Amdis drew back from Frederick. “I plan to outlive them by five centuries.” He said, pulling a long wand from his robe pocket. The wand was made from dragon bone, and was tipped in gold. It sat menacingly in his hand, shadowing Amdis’ evil personality very well.



              “Goodbye, Frederick.” Amdis stated as-matter-of-factly. Then he grinned as Frederick began to groan. “I hope you enjoyed our chat.” His smile widened as Fredericks’ eye movements became erratic and frantic. Tiny particles of red light began to assemble on the tip of the wand. The red light grew brighter, and so did the smile across his face. Frederick tried--in vain--to roll off his bed. Space seemed to bend around the wand, and Amdis pointed its tip directly at Frederick.



         “Don’t tell the Elders I used a Black spell, please?” Amdis snidely remarked.



         A red beam of light shot through Fredericks house and melted a small hole in the sidewalk beside his home. Hearing screams of terror, Amdis speedily flew out of the window he had entered, and then vanished into a blood-red sunset.

         

© Copyright 2009 Peter Clayven (cubbieswin at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1586342-Scarlet-Dawn