*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1586736-Val-3-The-Journey-Begins
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #1586736
Val's journey has begun but it's not what she expected.
  The Journey Begins chapter 3_



         Shay grasped the ornate brass door pull and gave it a tug. The door resisted momentarily and then swung back toward him, the hinges groaning. He moved to the side a little to make room and Valerie came forward to look out the door past him.

         Beyond the door lay a landscape of wind twisted rocks and caked sand with nothing that grew for as far as she could see. The rocks and sand seemed to be of the same color but the color shifted strangely from purple to red in the lantern light spilling through the door. The moon shone brightly above and the stars twinkled with a fiery brilliance and clarity beyond anything that was possible on earth.

         It was beautiful and frightening in the strangeness of its beauty.

         Shay stepped farther to the side. "Go on." He motioned Valerie through the door.

         A shiver of fear bolted through her as she stepped back, shaking her head vigorously. "No way! I'm not going out there. Uh-uh."

         Twilight's voice came from behind her. "Go on, Val. It's a good place."

         "No. I am not going out there first. No way in the world."

         John put in, "Val, hurry up, please. It's getting cold back here."

         "Come on, Val," Shay sounded a little impatient. "We're going to miss our rides. They've got other things to do aside from wait for us."

         "Why don't you go first?" Valerie challenged her eyes flat and her chin lifted stubbornly.

         "Because I have to lock this door again. I opened it."

         "Val: now. Or John and I will push you out." Twilight said in a commanding tone.

         "You won't."

         "On three, John. One... two...."

         Valerie muttered under her breath. There was no use fighting a losing battle and this one she would lose. She stepped forward through the door, her body tense. She didn't have any reason to stay home, but that didn't mean she was suicidal.

         Stepping through the door was like stepping into a nicely air conditioned building out of a hot summer parking lot. Suddenly the air was full of a new scent, clean and earthy, faintly like dust but strangely sweet.

         John stepped out beside her and then Twilight was standing on her other side. Twilight took a deep breath, closing her eyes as a blissful expression began to wash across her face. She let the breath out slowly and opened her eyes, smiling widely. "I love Kethya."

         "Oh, just because it's the way home and all." Shay spoke from behind them, his voice dry and faintly teasing. 

         Valerie turned around to look back up the tunnel, needing some solid remainder of home. She stopped short and stared, feeling her face pale and her stomach tighten. Shay was turning away from empty air. The tunnel and door were gone and instead she was looking down the beginning of a long, narrow ravine.

         "How are we going back?" Only years of practice kept her voice from shaking. There was a hard tone in her voice. She was furious, at them and at herself. They had tricked her. She had let someone trick her!

         John and Twilight both turned around at the strange tensity in her voice. John's face whitened as he stared at the place where the door had been. He blinked and frowned, looking with some doubt from Shay to Twilight.

         Twilight and Shay both looked very calm and they were studying Valerie. Valerie backed a few steps away and watched them suspiciously.

         "Alright, I'm going to set something straight. I don't like you, you don't like me and we don't trust each other. That's the way it's going to be. Now, what is going on?"

         "Well," Shay walked past her calmly, heading out towards the flat ground beyond the jagged rocks. "I'm going to see if our rides are here. Come on if you want to."

         Twilight followed him but John stayed where he was. "Ann has a point," he said. "Where are we going and how are we getting back?"

         "We're going on a journey," Twilight said. "Back to our homes and to a place where you will learn things. You will go home again, but not by this way. Trust me. There will be another way. Don't worry about it."

         Valerie was about to belligerently demand 'why not?' when another sound caught her attention. A clear, rhythmic tapping carried through the air to them. Twilight smiled and stepped out into the open. Valerie and John curiously followed.

         "Is that our ride?" John asked.

         Twilight nodded with satisfaction. "Mm-hmm." She raised a hand and whistled. A sound like a deep voiced bell answered.

         Shay had climbed up onto one of the rocks and was sitting there above their heads. He was peering casually out across the sand, flicking the fingers of one hand against his leg in a syncopated rhythm.

         Twilight looked up at him. "Do you see them yet?" 

         Shay nodded. "Yes. They're coming."

         For a few short minutes they peered into the distance, trying to see the creatures Shay had sighted. Then they saw two white shapes, strikingly visible against the red and violet landscape, coming rapidly towards them. Twilight's smile bloomed.

         John's eyes widened and Valerie felt shock rippling through her. The creatures were close enough now to be plainly visible. And from the single horn on their brows to the light, cloven hooves dancing across the sand, their form was instantly recognizable.

         "Unicorns. They must be," John breathed. He tore his gaze away and glanced over at Twilight quickly. "I thought they were just stories. Myths, you know."

         Twilight nodded, her eyes smiling. "In your world they are," Her voice got quiet, more subdued than it normally was as her dark blue eyes watched the approach of the elegant creatures. "They used to be found there, long ago, but they do not dwell on Earth now. People do not give proper respect to some creatures as they used to."

         "How so?" John asked curiously.

         "Man was given dominion in Earth. It is the world of Men. The creatures of Earth were placed there to be a help and to serve mankind. Not to be held up and worshipped. But nor are the creatures our Lord made to be intelligent servants to be slaughtered needlessly for reason of empty superstition."

         "The natural gifts of a unicorn began to hold more weight in the minds of men than they ought," said Shay, still sitting above them. "And that's the thing. A gift should always remain a gift. Not a right and not a burden. It became impossible for unicorns to live on Earth so they moved to other places."

         "I see."

         Valerie rubbed the back of her neck. If she didn't Know for a fact that she'd never done drugs in her life she'd say this was all a hallucination. But despite the fact that she was standing in the middle of the impossible, she believed every bit of it more than she'd believed anything else in years. And that was frightening.

         The two unicorns were nearer now, galloping easily across the sand. One of them raised its head and called out; voice mellow and clear. Valerie couldn’t keep from jumping as she felt the resonation of that sound inside her mind carrying with it the words of the mythic creature.

         "Hail you, strangers who wandered away from home! Are these the ones, my friends?"

         "Yes," Twilight called back. "These are the ones. Greetings to you, Starsong. Greetings, Moonsong." Twilight stepped out and waited for the pair to stop in front of her.

         Valerie noticed with curiosity, as the two drew ever nearer, that the unicorns were not pure white as they had appeared to be from a distance. Their silken white hide was speckled with small gold images. On the unicorn who was slightly taller they were small moons, round full moons and crescent moons creating a flow of shimmering gold over the shoulders and down the slender forelegs. The smaller unicorn bore stars instead, a myriad of constellations scattered all across its body.

         The starry one came close to Twilight, the thick silken mane tossing as slender legs danced across the sand. It cavorted lightly in a circle around Twilight before halting in front of the girl. The pale gold and white hide made a striking contrast with the midnight hue of Twilight's hair. Twilight stroked its neck gently as the gold shaded muzzle caressed her forehead.

         "It's good to see you again, Moonsong." Shay said and dropped back to the ground. He patted Starsong's shoulder as he stepped past to meet the other one. Moonsong exchanged a more sober greeting with Shay, resting the gleaming white horn on Shay’s shoulder while Shay laid his hand atop it.

         John glanced admiringly at the muscles that bunched and rippled beneath the white hide and at the gleaming length of pearly white horn. "Hi. I'm John."

         The unicorn called Starsong lifted its head to look closely at him. "He bears a strong resemblance to his father. I am pleased to meet you, John. I am Starsong, one of the gatekeepers of Kethya."

         John seemed to be momentarily struck speechless by the address of the creature. Then he blinked. “You know my father?”

         The stallion snorted and lifted his horn from Shay’s shoulder, turning his head to regard John with a large amber-colored eye. "We greet you, John, in the name of all our kinfolk. I am Moonsong, brother of Starsong, and also a gatekeeper of Kethya.” The voice of this unicorn was different from Starsong’s, a lower tone though it rang with the same mellow clarity.

         “You know my father?” John repeated, reaching out to touch Moonsong’s shoulder with a fingertip.

         “Your father passed this way once before but it is not the way of the gatekeepers of Kethya to speak the stories of others." Moonsong replied and turned his head to look at Valerie.

         Valerie rubbed her arms. Her fingers were tingling and she wished she could reach out to stroke the unicorns so much that she was almost trembling. The air around the two creatures seemed to quiver and a sheen of light enveloped them. Their words seemed to come from the air around them and they filled Valerie’s head.

         Twilight motioned towards Valerie. "This one is Valerie Ann."

         Moonsong lowered his head, tipping his horn downward. "I had thought it was so. We bring you greeting as well, Valerie Ann.”

         “May the Master of worlds bless you." Starsong and Moonsong’s voices rang together on these words, the two separate tones creating a soundless melody in the air.

         Starsong then laid her horn across Twilight's shoulder. "Make haste, Twilight. We must hurry."

         "Why?" asked Shay. He patted Moonsong's shoulder as he looked over the stallion's back at the other unicorn.

         "We received word from Constellation," explained Starsong. "She warned us that times were growing shorter. Seven more have vanished from Snow Peak alone."

         "Seven? From Snow Peak? Are you sure?" Shay paused in the middle of slipping the hackamore over Moonsong's head and stared for a moment at Starsong.

         Moonsong lowered his head and pinned one ear back. "Aye." he affirmed.

         Shay finished putting on the hackamore and tossed the reins up over Moonsong's head. He gave a low whistle. "I didn't think there would be that many. And so close."

         Twilight easily slid her blue hackamore into place on Starsong's head. She flipped the reins over the unicorn's neck. Starsong shook her head to settle it, then stamped. "I'm ready. Mount."

         Twilight jumped up and threw a leg over the unicorn's back. She held her arm down to Valerie. "Come on. You ride with me," Her face was serious. "You’ve got my word of honor, Val; there’s no trick here."

         Starsong turned her head to look at Valerie when she still hung back. "Come Valerie. No fear. I'll go nice and smooth for you."

         Moonsong regarded her with sedate curiosity. "Your first unicorn ride, is it? There's nothing to fear, little one."

         "Starsong's an easy ride, Val," Shay said. He dropped Moonsong's reins and came over beside her. "I'll give you a leg up, but we can't waste time."

         Valerie hesitated only a moment longer and then reached up and put her hand in Twilight's elbow. She put her foot into Shay's hands and was practically thrown up onto the unicorn's back.

         Shay grinned up at her. "That's not as bad as you thought now, is it?"

         Valerie braced both her hands on Starsong's back to help her keep her balance, unable to reply. She barely dared to breathe for fear she'd slide off. The unicorn's hide was slick and smooth and muscles rolled beneath her with every small movement.

         Twilight looked over her shoulder at Valerie. "Go ahead and hang onto my belt. I won't mind."

         Valerie held on for dear life.

         Shay and John were soon mounted up as well and Moonsong was moving readily beneath them. "Where are we going?"

         "Southern gate," Shay directed, turning the unicorn's head to the right.

         Moonsong protested even as he obeyed. "Shay! That's two days farther than the third west gate. Why do we take the longer way?"

         "We have to go in the southern way so we can meet and speak with Rainsilver," Twilight explained as Starsong moved out after the other unicorn.

         "Why do you have to talk with Rainsilver now? It will be the celebration of bounty soon. She'll be in Malyia then anyway." Starsong said.

         The two unicorns matched strides and moved away at an easy ground covering pace. The gait was amazingly smooth. Valerie soon relaxed into the rhythm.

         "Details and explanations," Twilight said in reply to the unicorn’s question. “Shay and I shouldn’t be the ones to tell them of their places. We couldn’t really give them a clear idea of the whole situation anyway since our part is limited at this point.”

         “In order for them to understand their places in all of this, they need to hear the details from someone who understands the whole story.” Shay said.

         "Places," John mused thoughtfully. "Seems to me that whenever anyone takes the trouble of sending someone to fetch someone, it means they have a job for that someone to do. So, what kind of jobs are we going to be doing?"

         "Ooh, sharp deduction," Valerie could hear the grin in Twilight’s voice. "See, Shay. That’s what comes of having a lawyer for a father. You're probably right, John. I fully assume you’ll have a job to do. Why else would we have been sent for you, after all?"

         “So? What is it?” John asked.

         "We can't tell you that." Twilight said gravely. “It’s like we said before.” 

         "It’s important," Shay said and his voice was completely sober. “Important enough that you need to hear about it from the people who understand all of it. Otherwise you may misunderstand your places.”

         "I don't like responsibility." Valerie informed them stiffly, not liking the content of this conversation at all. The last thing she wanted was for someone she’d never known before to have a whole lot of expectations of her that Val knew she couldn’t fulfill.

         "I'm sorry, child," Moonsong chuckled. "You don't have a great deal of choice. Everyone has some responsibility. You can't run from it."

         "Why not? And why can't I choose what I have to do anyway?"

         “No one said you can’t." Moonsong said, looking over his shoulder at her with one of his large amber eyes. “But be wary of lesser choices that may lead you from the path ordained for you.”

         "Why?" asked Valerie abruptly. “And what makes you think that you know what this ‘ordained path’ is anyway?”

         Starsong started to speak and then her voice trailed off.

         "There's some things you can understand but you can't explain, Val," Shay said softly. "We can't explain, but that's why we're going to see Rainsilver. She's more gifted at explaining than most people. A special gift that is; one it is dangerous to claim. It is less common than it was now, even in the Circle," he spoke thoughtfully. "Truly, there are few I would trust with the gift. There are more with the wisdom though."

         "Gift of explanation?" John asked in a perplexed tone.

         "I believe it is given when and where it is needed; the ability to make complex, difficult or abstract things simple to understand or clear. The gift of explanation is one of knowing and having the ability to clarify that knowledge," he looked sober. "But as I say, it is a dangerous gift to claim or attribute to someone."

         "What is this about gifts and the Circle and all that?" Valerie asked, cross because of the lack of solid answers and the subject matter.

         "Oh girl," Shay said, exhaling slowly. "You ask the hardest questions to answer."

         "Good." Valerie was feeling obstinate.

         Twilight said quietly, "I'll try to answer that but you may have to ask Rainsilver later if I can't. You may have to understand these things for what is coming.

         "It's like this, Valerie. We all serve the Master as a part of a large group, a small part of what we refer to as the Circle. This Circle extends through all worlds and all ages. We all have our jobs to do. There are three fully light worlds, several contested worlds and, unfortunately, three dark worlds as well." She paused, memories halting her words momentarily.

         "I don't get it." Valerie stated flatly.

         "I'm not finished yet," Twilight pushed her hair back over her shoulder. "The Light worlds are the responsibility of those of the Circle and the Wanderers. We keep them safe from the followers of Yabin and keep them in the way of light, or try to at least." She amended reluctantly.

         "Like shepherds?" John inquired intent on the explanation.

         Valerie turned her head away and rolled her eyes. John always had been one for trying to understand everyone and everything. It must come of having a father who was a lawyer. It was one of his qualities that irritated her most at times and one that she rather grudgingly admired. 

         "Kind of yes. Some of us fight for the followers of the Master, to give them safe places to learn, live and teach. Some give comfort or heal others and some guide and give council. Others go into darkened places trying to bring out and save anything and anyone that can be saved. I think of it as an army. There are scouts who watch for danger to those they protect. There’s soldiers who do the fighting; generals to lead; doctors to heal; captains to teach and train; and a King to serve, of course." She gave John a grin before returning to her explanation.

         "Our Master, the King, the one and only true King of any and all worlds, gives us gifts to help His followers in their work. It doesn't matter what their work is, He gives them gifts to help them. They are gifts. We possess them, they are ours and we use them to the best of our ability in our part of the struggle with evil. So long as we use our gifts wisely, the Master blesses our efforts and strengthens these gifts. If we so chose, we could use our gifts for evil. An unfortunately large number do so."

         "When that happens, our Master removes His blessing from their work and ceases to strengthen their gift."

         "I don't get it." John said. "If He only strengthens and blesses those who are doing His work, why is there a struggle at all? If only one side has the power, there shouldn't be any contest at all. One would just wipe out the other."

         "There are other powers in the world, John." Shay said. "Great, powerful creatures who rebelled against their Master and now struggle against Him, seeking to cast Him down. That is impossible since they are only created beings and He is the One who always has been here, but still they seek to hurt Him the most they possibly can. They do that through the other things He has created. By hurting things He loves and turning them against Him, they hurt Him. See?"

         John nodded slowly. "That makes sense. Sad, but it makes sense."

         "That is why there is a battle and a struggle. Those creatures and beings are created things, but they have great power still. They have enough strength to give power and blessing to those who serve their purpose."

         "Mm-hmm. So, in a sense, they have their own kinds of gifts to give?"

         "In a sense."

         "What kind of gifts are there?"

         "Oh, many kinds. Unicorns have their gift of healing." Twilight patted Starstong's neck and the mare snorted appreciatively. "Some more than others and that's not the only gift, just the most common and prominent one. Fauns have their joyousness. Dwarves their smithcraft. Cats have their grace and balance. Dogs their sense of smell... there's no end to them. Back on earth you often called it instinct or talent. You earthen folk have such a way of taking the gifts of God and calling them something else. It's a gift if you have a talent. You didn't come by it just by accident, or just because your mother or father had it. It's a gift."

         "Are there special gifts for those of that Great Circle you talked about?"

         "I suppose you could say that, but not so especially." Twilight shrugged. "There are gifts for Wanderers. The ability to travel from world to world for instance. The Wandering Star works with fire. That was given to her. Secra steps from country to country with a breath between, but she is the Keeper; she watches all the Gates and Gatekeepers. Jafan the Slinger could see clearly for seven miles and there are so many others. I won't even try to tell you of them."

         "What gifts to you have?" John asked. 

         "I am a wanderer. And I have a strong arm and a good eye. Nothing great am I." Twilight said, her tone very light.

         "How 'bout you, Shay?"

         "I am also a wanderer." Shay said, glancing sideways at Twilight. "I'm known as a strategist in Malyia. Don't you believe Twilight though. Those are not her only gifts."

         Twilight shrugged. "It doesn’t really matter. That's not important. One of the gifts that Shay and I both share is our ability to wander, live in more than one world. There are a few worlds that are easy for people to adapt from one to the other, but there are some that are very distinctly different. Neulrigh, Earth, Ethereal and Verdan being four of the most extremely different. Not necessarily that the physical laws, climates and such are so dramatically different. It's just that something about these worlds makes the change from one to another fairly hazardous. Aside from the Gatekeepers, there aren't too many who can wander freely without suffering."

         "So, you two are relatively unique." John looked from Shay to Twilight.

         "Yes." Twilight nodded.

         "Okay, I can fully accept that." Valerie said dryly.

         "You two are not exactly typical." Shay said. "And you know, now that you've been chosen you'll have to do your part in the fight."

         "For a fight it truly is." Moonsong said solemnly. "A serious war in which everything we do, say and think has meaning and impact; a war that began before our time and will end only when the Teacher returns. Until then we fight on. Never shirk a task given to you by the Master, no matter how small or large it be. If you are chosen for a task, He'll give you the means to accomplish it. Rest easy with that."

         Valerie and John unconsciously sat up a little straighter as they listened to the unicorn's deep, musical tones. When he stopped, Valerie mentally shook herself, forcing away the feeling his words had stirred in her.

         Twilight twisted around to look at Valerie. "So, could you understand our explanation?"

         Valerie bristled. "Of course."

         John grinned. "Of course. Gifts are talents or abilities given to us so we can serve God in a more efficient or effective way. The Circle and the Wanderers are a group of warrior shepherds who watch over the worlds."

         "Warrior shepherds?" Shay burst out laughing.

         For a moment, Twilight didn't seem to know whether to let the remark offend her or laugh at it. She finally started laughing and both of the otherworldly teens were lost in their merriment for several minutes after.

         Moonsong huffed his breath out, amusement gleaming in his amber eyes. "Yes, John, you have the idea."

         "Will Val and I have gifts?" John asked.

         Shay fell silent, all signs of his laughter fading away and a frown touched his blue eyes. Twilight cast him a quick glance and bent over, leaning far forward to look Starsong in the face. “Listen to that, Starsong. The earthling doesn’t know a gift when he has it. What does he take a unicorn ride for anyway?”

         The light enveloping the unicorn’s body sparkled brilliantly for a moment and a bubble of mirth popped inside John and Valerie’s heads. Valerie blinked. Had the unicorn just laughed?

         Twilight did, the joy bubbling up in her laughter just as it always did. “As it was with the jobs, John, I fully expect you’ll also have gifts to help along the way.”

         "Twilight. That part Rainsilver had better handle." Shay said quietly, a faint edge in his voice. A sudden tension appeared between the two companions and a momentary silence fell over the small group, broken only by the soft sound of the unicorn's footfalls.

         After a long, inscrutable look over at Shay, Twilight said, “John, don’t worry about gifts. They are given when needed. You have many already.”

         John nodded and looked away, obviously regretting his question about gifts. He was silent for another moment as he thought of another question to break the tension. “Umm, Twilight?”

         "Yup?" Twilight seemed glad that someone was breaking the uncomfortable silence.

         "You told us that wherever it is that we're going is a wonderful place. But if it is so wonderful, why are there 'people missing' and things 'getting worse'?"

         Twilight and looked back ahead. For a long moment she silently debated what answer to give. Starsong advised gently, "Better to tell them the story of it now than later."

         "Very true, Twi." Shay agreed. Whatever had made him uneasy earlier seemed to now be completely gone.

         "Well, shouldn't-" Twilight turned toward him.

         "They've got a right to know." Shay said firmly.

         "It's the reason they are coming, after all." Starsong said.

         "Come on. We talked this over earlier. You agreed." Shay gave her a level look. "Didn't you?"

         "Yes. All right." Twilight sounded subdued. She was obviously not eager to tell the story, whatever it was. "Listen up, you two. I'd rather not tell this over again or elaborate any more than I have to. We'll do this once." She took a breath to steady herself and began.

         "A long while ago, when my grandmother's mother was very young, the ruler of a country to the north was a powerful young man with great armies at his command. He was the only child of his father, proud because of his heritage and the gifts within him. All who knew him hailed him as the greatest ruler his country had ever seen, one of the mighty of the world because he was strong and a powerful leader. He had a friend, a girl who’d been a companion throughout his childhood. She was a beautiful girl, whom everyone loved for her kind spirit. She was gifted with compassion and clear sight of the truth and he relied on her heavily to speak the truth he needed to rightly maintain his rule. For years, they were friends and shared the love that friends have but nothing more. Then she met one of the captains in his command, a young soldier who had advanced to his captaincy through the sweat of his back; a loyal warrior dedicated to the king he served. She and this captain fell in love and they went to the king to ask permission to marry, as was the custom. The king gave this permission gladly, happy to see the joy in his friend’s face and so the two were wed and happily so.

         Very soon after this, the Black Flood came rushing against this world riding in the hearts of thousands of warriors seeking to destroy the countries of our world. The young ruler rallied his armies and called his soldiers to the front of the battle and for months and years they fought. He watched his soldiers fight and die and saw the darkness consume countries led by weaker leaders. His heart was pained by watching this, knowing he could not stop the fall of those other rulers and the pain became so sharp that it twisted his thoughts, opening his heart to the council of wicked men. They whispered evil thoughts to him, making him doubt his wise generals and the truthful words of his childhood friend; convincing him that she had betrayed him by going to her husband. Guided by such dark councils, they were defeated and driven back from the battle lines to cower in their fortresses. At that time, the girl came again to the palace, to comfort the king and give him the words he needed. But the pain of his defeat was strong and the words of those wicked councilors were still fresh in his mind. When he saw her again, coming to him with her husband at her side, jealousy bit deep into him and began to fester. He thought of when she had only turned her eyes to him when she gave her words and loathed the face of the loyal captain who now held her gaze. He became convicted of the wicked councils that said she no longer spoke truly of what was best for him and their country. Enraged, he lashed out at her, denying her words and crying her a traitor. His heart was not so dark that he could bear to slay her, but he charged her husband with treason and slew him. Still desperate to save his country from the blackness of the Flood, he turned wholeheartedly to the council of the wicked men who had joined him and led his country into the darkness. His friend cried out to him to waken and walk in the light of the Master’s way but he was deaf to her words, though he still kept her with him, protecting her and her children more fiercely than he guarded his own life. But even so, his heart was blinded completely. Endeavoring to save his people, he turned to unclean arts and sorcery and, so doing, he condemned them to live forever within the Shadow of the Flood.”

         Twilight sighed. “The tale goes that she died and in the bitterness of his despair, the ruler demanded that another girl be sought out and brought to the palace to live as she had. So a girl was chosen but because she could not please him, because he could not look at her and see his childhood companion, he murdered her. And he sent for another. And then another until no one could count their number. He slew any who attempted to resist and it made no difference if they were married, or had children, or were young, or were betrothed. He selected the girls and they went but none of them could satisfy him.

         "Since then, he has also taken children and young men as slaves and his territory has expanded until the shadow of his domain reaches far from the bounds where it began. His empire is one of terror and death and he and his army live by the slaves that he has stolen. No army has yet far withstood him and the tales of horrors that have happened beneath the shadow have been whispered the length of the southern countries for many years. Some are debatable. Some we know the truth of. No one who is touched by the shadow does not feel the effect of it. Many are subdued by its sway and perform the works of that king in lands far from his own, slowly expanding his kingdom."

         "And causing a good bit of trouble for the rest of us." Shay snorted.

         "It has been said that though the king was mortal and lived hundreds of years ago, he still lives now. His servants who are abroad in the lands have said that he steals the life of folk that his army takes from surrounding countries and so he lives on, leaving them to die."

         "Woah!" John recoiled. "That's... that's-"

         "Sounds to me like they made up that part." Valerie put in. "I mean, stealing someone's life? That's a bit far-fetched."

         "His creatures are blood-hunters." Shay said. "You've heard of tribes and peoples who drank the blood of their enemies to gain their strength. Or ate their flesh for the same reason. On Earth, there is little truth to those beliefs. The flesh of an enemy will give no more strength than any other meat. But…this is a different world that we are speaking of."

         Valerie stared at him, her stomach curling. She suddenly felt like throwing up. "That's sick." she choked out.

         "Disgusting." John looked slightly greenish. "Why don't you stop it?"

         "There are laws against it." Shay said, turning a little to glance over his shoulder at John.  "Not just laws by kingdom, either. It's prohibited by the Bahnlagh, the set of laws that govern all the worlds and the dealings between the worlds. Any man who takes part in the blood trade is condemned, but it's a roaring business on the underside of the world."

         "Why?" Valerie asked, her voice thick. "Why would anyone want to drink or consume in any way someone or something else's blood?"

         Twilight sighed. "For the blood is the life thereof. You know of people on Earth in your world's history who did unbelievable things because they believed it gave them eternal life. Well, here's something that really does give life. We all try to stop it, but we don't seem to make much progress. The most we can do is take out one major stronghold of the practice at a time. We hold even mainly."

         "So, what are we going to have to do with this?" John inquired, leaning sideways in an attempt to see Shay's face.

         Shay shrugged silently. John looked at Twilight. She shrugged too. "I don't know that part of the story. I heard it once, I think, but I don't remember. We were told to inform you of the beginning of the story and the existence of the blood trade."

         "Just so we could sleep more soundly at night, huh?" John rolled his eyes as he sat back straight again. "Great. Thanks a lot."

         Twilight frowned. "Don't make a joke about it, John. There's nothing light about it." Then she shook her head, tossing away the frown and forcing a smile. “Listen to me. I sound like quite a paranoid person. We'll race 'ya, Shay!"

         Starsong leaped forward so quickly Valerie was forced to grab Twilight to keep from being thrown. With her arms wrapped around Twilight's waist and Twilight's hair blowing back around her, Valerie fought the surge of terror and adrenalin that had seized her. She leaned sideways to peer around Twilight's shoulder and saw the ground sliding away at an amazing rate. Starsong's pale golden hooves flashed against the deep violet sand. She heard Moonsong's hooves coming nearer and glanced sideways. Shay was leaning down near the stallion's neck, his face hidden by the whipping mane. John was grinning behind him, yelling into the wind. Valerie felt an answering grin flash onto her face and exhilaration rushed through her. For the first time in what might have been a year she felt like laughing with pure, honest delight. She faced back forward, enjoying the wind in her face and then looked upwards.

         It was a strange sensation. She could feel Twilight breathing, quick and deep with laughter, against her arms; Starsong’s easy breathing and the smooth stretching and bunching of muscles beneath her. She felt the wind tugging at her hair and blowing Twilight’s hair into her face; her glasses slipping farther down on her nose. She could see the ground flying by, moving faster than she’d ever even seen out a car window. But the sky stood still. In all the limitless expanse of this world, only the stars did not move. Standing regally above the world, they watched.

         Valerie’s smile faded and she closed her eyes, her face still turned upwards. The stars had always been a comfort to her and in this place it was as though she could feel them, welcoming her to this world with the warmth of kinship. She opened her eyes again. This really was all very strange and yet, way down deeper than all her cynical doubt and sarcasm, she longed to push away all her reserves and suspicions and accept everything completely. There was just something engrained in her character that made her keep pushing it away.

         The scenery whipped by, mountains, ravines and towering cliffs, as the unicorns charged tirelessly ahead. Moonsong drew even with Starsong and they kept pace with each other easily, their breathing still as easy as it had been before they began their race. But they slowed to a walk as they approached a huge, black mountain that blocked the stars.

         "What is that?" John asked, caught by the strangeness of a black mountain in this red and violet landscape.

         "That is Nephtan. The third west gate lies at its heart." Shay said and then suggested, "Hey, let's show them. They haven't seen anything like that before."

         John nodded eagerly and Valerie felt a stirring of curiosity in spite of herself. Starsong started to turn towards the mountain, but Twilight stopped her.

         "We don't have time to go and see it today." There was a strange tenseness in her voice.

         Starsong and Moonsong both turned their heads to look at her. Moonsong’s deep amber colored eye and Starsong’s paler gold one each regarded the teenage girl thoughtfully.

         "Why? It won't take long. It would make little difference in time, Twilight." Starsong reasoned.

         "We have to hurry. Even a little bit will make a difference."

         "Why?" Shay asked quietly.

         "I.. I just get this feeling that we are needed as fast as we can get there." Twilight said. "Lady Dawn needs me."

         Uneasiness twisted through Valerie's belly. Twilight sounded almost scared.

         Moonsong gave Twilight a long, level look and then turned back in the direction they had been traveling. "If you feel that you are indeed being called we'll not turn aside, Twilight, and will go by the quickest way."

         He and Starsong picked up their pace again, turning slightly to make their way around the mountain. John looked back over his shoulder at it in disappointment, then shrugged and grinned when he saw Valerie watching.

         “Shay!” John shouted over the sound of the wind, “What does a gate look like?”

         “They’re all different.” Shay shouted back. “The third west gate is one of the most impressive looking gates. I’ll show you later if we have a chance. But anyway, you’ll get a look at the southern gate soon enough. It won’t be much longer.” He grinned. “You’ve never tried to cross Kethya on foot so you can’t really appreciate a unicorn’s gallop, but believe me when I tell you that it’s the fastest way to get anywhere. Unless you want to ride a dragon or the wind itself. I could show you how to do that when we get to Malyia if you like.”

         “No thanks.” John shook his head. “I’ll take your word for it.”

         It seemed like only a few minutes after John spoke that Twilight’s hand came up quickly, pointing ahead of them. “There it is! The gate.”

         Valerie and John both strained to see what she was pointing at. They passed a ravine and headed toward a cluster of stubby mountains and a high cliff beyond. The unicorns began to drop their speed as they approached the mountains, winding a way through the bases. Twilight looked over her shoulder at Valerie. Excitement was radiating from her. "We're almost there." Her eyes were shining brilliantly.

         A short time later they were slowing to a stop beside a soaring cliff face. Valerie slid down from Starsong’s back with Twilight’s help. Her knees almost buckled as she hit the ground. She stumbled a few steps away and stood still. As she waited for the others, she tipped her head back to stare upward trying to make out the top of the cliff, but it was lost in blackness and the light of the stars. John whistled softly as he looked upwards.

         “Now that’s tall.”

         Twilight slipped to the ground, bouncing with excitement as she landed on her toes. "We're almost home! Oh, wonderful, wonderful." She hummed brightly under her breath as she slipped the hackamore off of Starsong’s head. 

         Shay laughed at her as he did the same for Moonsong. “Easy Twilight. The gate isn’t going anywhere.”

         “Not far anyway.” Moonsong’s voice rang in their minds, glimmering with amusement. “The gates shift slightly with the passing of seasons and years, but they do not stray far.”

         Starsong trotted past them with Twilight almost skipping along behind her. "The gate is here now." She found a particular place, turned parallel to the cliff face and waited.

         Moonsong walked over and faced his sister squarely. They bent their heads together, carefully avoiding each other with their horns. Moonsong struck the ground with his right forefoot, then the left and then each rear hoof, his movements mirrored exactly by Starsong.

         Valerie watched curiously. Was this some kind of ritual needed to open the gate? John looked over at her quickly and then shrugged.

         Starsong and Moonsong were now standing with their cloven hooves planted firmly in the sand. They lifted their heads and swung them together. Their horns clashed fiercely and a deep chiming sound filled the air, humming in their minds and growing until it seemed to shake the ground. The sand danced around their feet and the cliff face quivered. The shadows shivered and then slipped together, forming new shapes against the sand and rocks as the sound shook the world.

         Starsong and Moonsong seemed oblivious to the quivering of the world around them. They turned to face the cliff. Valerie wrapped her arms around herself, feeling the sound vibrating in her bones. And then, with a sudden pop, the sound stopped. Valerie felt the world shift suddenly and then snap back in place.

         “There you are.” Shay said, stepping forward. “The southern gate.”

         Valerie raised her brows in faint surprise. She'd expected something a little different. The gate looked merely like a cave or a hole in the cliff face. It was wide enough for all of them to walk into side by side and high enough that one of the unicorns could have reared up without hitting the ceiling, but there was nothing strange about it. Except the veil of impenetrable darkness that cloaked the inside.

         Starsong tossed her head and asked, "Twilight, would you mind if I came through the doors with you? I have no duties for a turn of the stars and I would like to see the change that comes."

         Twilight nodded, smiling. "I'm eager myself. Of course you can come, Starsong. We'd be glad to have you for a while."

         Valerie watched their eagerness. It was so strong she could feel it, but not for herself. She felt only scared and hoped that no one could tell.

         Moonsong had been standing away from the cliff, staring motionless up at the stars for several minutes. He turned and faced them again. "Go when you will. All things are ready. It will be night when you come."

         Shay walked over to him and laid a hand on the smooth shoulder. "Thanks for the ride and your guidance through Kethya, Moonsong.” He stepped back and gave the unicorn a bow. "I'll see you again. Come visit us whenever you wish."

         Twilight bowed to Moonsong as well. "Thank you, Moonsong for your generosity in taking us across your lands. May the blessing of Kethya never fade."

         John reached out and rubbed Moonsong's neck. "Bye, Moonsong. Thanks for giving me my first unicorn ride. I'll never forget it."

         Moonsong shimmered in gold and a ripple of amusement washed through their minds as the unicorn laughed. "I'll not forget it soon, son of Earth. Fare well."

         Starsong touched her horn to his. "I'll return soon, brother. Look for me in a turn of Kevnat."

         Moonsong nodded and their horns rang softly against each other as they drew apart. This time the sound was gentle and spoke of quiet farewell, fading soon into the faint breeze coming down from the top of the cliff. 

         Valerie realized she was the only one who hadn't said something then. She stuffed her hands in her pockets. "Uh. Thanks Moonsong. It was a lot of fun."

         Moonsong bowed gracefully to them. "Go well wherever your paths lead you and may your steps always take you home again."

         “Well, that’s farewell then.” Shay walked forward until he was facing the cave and all of them were behind him. He turned around and grinned at them over his shoulder. “Let’s go.” Then he turned back forward and stepped in.

         As quickly as that he was gone. It was not gradual. He was simply, suddenly gone without sight or sound of anything else.

         John jumped a little. Valerie let out an involuntary gasp and stumbled backwards, running into Moonsong by accident. The shock hit her like a blow in the stomach. She could barely speak. "He's gone!"

         John leaned forward, peering into the blackness. "Where did he go?"

         An arm reached out of nowhere, grabbed him by the collar and dragged him into the darkness. He started to shout but his exclamation was cut off almost immediately as he disappeared, exactly as Shay had. Twilight whooped with laughter. Valerie was horrified but before she could say or do anything, Twilight had grabbed her shoulder and was pushing her forward into the cave. Starsong came in close behind them.

         Just before she stepped over the line of shadow, Valerie turned back and saw Moonsong rearing up, his horn pointing straight up towards the starry skies as he cried out. The sound was like a deep, sweet voiced bell tolling across the sand. "Go well, Valerie Ann. May blessings mark your steps, star daughter!"

         Then Valerie felt a change in the air and a kind of shimmering, tingling sensation spread all over her body. She felt she had passed through some kind of barrier and felt that something had been left tingling on her skin. The feeling remained for several moments even though she knew she had passed completely through. She suddenly realized she was holding her breath and she gasped for air.

         After breathing, she immediately felt better and tried to look around. Twilight had relinquished the grip on her shoulder just before she'd stepped over the shadow line on the ground and Valerie now tried to see her. She wondered again, briefly, if Twilight and Shay had tricked them, but she didn't really think so.

         "Twilight?" Her voice sounded subtly different, lower and fuller. It felt different too, like it came from deeper in her chest. She squinted, frowning. It was pitch black around her. She couldn't see anyone else or hear them either. With a flash of alarm, she wondered if she had gone blind.

         Then she heard something moving somewhere off to her right. She whirled around and stumbled violently, crashing through several bushes. Something was wrong with her legs! She froze and blinked carefully in the direction of the sound.

         "Careful, Val. Don’t fall. I’m right over here." Twilight's voice came to her from slightly off to her right.

         Starsong spoke from the same direction. “Well now. This is a sight worth leaving Kethya to see. There’s no doubt, Twilight. You’re a fine seeker.”

         “I knew as soon as I got my first clear look.” Twilight said, her voice sounding smug.

         Valerie heard coughing from somewhere to her left and the low bass of Shay’s voice. He was speaking too quietly for her to hear his words but she did hear John. He was gasping for air and there was terrible urgency in the sound.

         That same urgency was building rapidly in Valerie’s chest. “Twilight?” Valerie felt like she was being smothered. “Twilight, where are you?”

         "Calm down, Valerie.” Twilight’s voice was soothing. “Take some deep breaths. Breathe all the way to your toes. There's more oxygen here. It's good for you."

         "Okay." Valerie slowly did as she was told. She filled her lungs and then gasped, drawing in even more air. She sighed, releasing the air before doing it again. The air smelled sweet and clean and calmed her a little bit.

         Valerie turned her head carefully towards the sound of Twilight's voice with another question on her lips. It froze when she caught sight of a glimmer of light. She squinted, leaning in to get a better look and she heard something much larger than Twilight moving closer. When she saw the creature, she shrieked. Her heart seemed to leap completely out of her body and all strength left her legs abruptly. Before she hit the ground and passed out completely, she heard Twilight sighing.

         "I was afraid of this."



© Copyright 2009 taillights says: Thanks! : ) (taillights9 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1586736-Val-3-The-Journey-Begins