*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1586880-The-Son-of-a-Vampire-chapter-1
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #1586880
Lucas finds himself in a tough situation when he's brought to a castle built on a cloud.
         It’s amazing how one night can change a person’s life forever.  I was a member of the OARC, as my parents and younger brother still are.  Unfortunately, my position was taken away from me after being swept away by the kromans, for a reason I am still unsure of.

         I was in a daze, unable to break free of what felt like cold chains slammed against my body.  My younger brother Roi was screaming for me.  I struggled to look down upon my newly broken roof from many feet above, where Roi’s neon-green eyes lit up the darkness, helpless and afraid.  I was also helpless.  Before I knew it, everything blacked out.



         “Has Lucas arrived yet?” questioned a light-hearted voice, most likely belonging to a boy around my age.  The only thing visible to me was an emotionless blur of light, as if I were recovering from anesthesia.  I truly thought I was dreaming.

         “Yes,” agreed the voice of a woman.  “He’s still tired.”

         “I see,” replied the boy’s voice with unreadable emotion.  “Just let him rest, and I shall return in about an hour.”

         “Very well, Joshua.”

         Joshua… the name was beaten into me.



         After finally regaining consciousness, I realized I was laying in a bed with pristine white sheets draped over it.  It seemed to be in the middle of a circular room, where everything was painted white (with the exception of a few band posters neatly plastered onto the wall).  “Did you sleep well?” a pale boy with silver hair, who's pale blue button-up shirt and faded bluejeans tended to stand out from the plain white background, stood at the foot of the bed.  “Those henchmen drugged you up a little too much.  I tried my hardest to keep your heart beating until you regained consciousness, but that’s when you-” he was cut off by a dark haired lady entering the room, and I was never to hear the end of that sentence for as long as I live.

         “I see you have awoken,” said the dark haired lady, who's intricately beaded clothing made me assume that she was from some sort of aristocratic family.

         The silver haired boy sat beside me.  “Forgive my mother and I for not giving you a chance to speak.”

         Hesitating to speak for a few seconds, I was distracted by the scrawny boy standing in front of my eyes, who had the same light-hearted voice I heard earlier.  I could tell he was far from human by the way his ears were pointed and angled slightly downwards.  “Not at all…” I said hoarsely.

         The boy then giggled.  “My name is Joshua,” he said politely, acting as if I was never kidnapped in the first place.

         I could only respond in one way.  “Where are the kromans who captured me?!” I stood up and shouted some more.  “My parents…!  Brother…” at that moment a heart-stabbing pain entered my chest.  His “mother” left the room quietly.

         “Is something wrong?”  Joshua sounded concerned, and hesitated before touching my hand, which somehow caused the pain to stop abruptly.

         “Is this supposed to be some kind of sick joke?!”  I snatched Joshua’s hand away.  “What is my purpose for being here?!”

         The entire mood changed completely, and I could tell I was upsetting this guy.  “I…”  Joshua lowered his tone.  “I’m not exactly sure myself.  However…” he paused to take a breath.  “Some monster or something might come here, and maybe some sort of superior being chose you to protect me.  Besides,” his face turned red as he looked up.  “I wanted to meet you!”

         I had to think.  So maybe he did have a good reason for kidnapping me in the first place.  I lowered my voice and asked, “What the hell are you implying?”

         “…never mind.  Just forget it.” Joshua walked away coldly.

         That night was when I felt guilty for the first time in my life.



         I had a hard time sleeping that night.  However, things lightened up a bit in the morning.

         I was completely lost.  This massive building was painted completely white, making every room look the same.  I stumbled upon what looked like a library, then gulped as I looked up at this massive  book shelf.  Okay, I thought.  The first book I pick out will be read all the way through.  Taking a random book out of the shelf, I sat down on an antique, olive-green armchair and read.

         While I was reading that very book, Joshua brought a tall, lanky man wearing a trench coat into the room.  His black hair was draped over half his face, while a brownish gangster hat fit over his head. He was probably of the same race as Joshua, his ears being a dead giveaway.  “This is my father, Kaian Drassil.” he said.  Wonderful, I thought.  One less person I had to worry about meeting.

         Kaian observed me, making me feel slightly awkward.  “So you are the handsome young lad who my son wanted to meet, eh? His voice was deep and full of arrogance.

         Joshua blushed slightly, trying to pretend that his father never said that.  “Father, would you do the honor of leaving?  I would like to speak with Lucas.”

         “Alriiight.” Kaian replied with an exaggerated tone.  He sprinted out of the room in a way which I have never seen before in my life.

         “Hey”, I started as it only took Joshua a fraction of a second to look up at me.  “about last night…”

         “You really need to let that go.” Joshua sounded rather aggravated, probably from the sight of me.  “First impressions are tough, but they don’t really bother me.”

         I laughed and Joshua’s face turned a bright shade of red.  “What’s so funny?!” he asked defensively, though I was not about to deny that he looked kind of cute at that moment.

         A voice was heard from the door.  “Hey, I’m coming in now.” it said.  Another black-haired man with the face of a model (and those same ears, of course) walked into the room, holding what looked like more white sheets.  “It’s laundry day, bro.”

         “And this would be my half-brother, Motas.” Joshua pointed to the man.

         I observed both of them with a puzzled expression.  “You guys are related, yet neither of you look anything like each other?"

         “I said he’s my half-brother.” Joshua pushed me on my side as a gesture of saying “you idiot”.

         Motas snickered.  “I said it’s laundry day.”

         “I heard you.” Joshua chucked a few other pristine white sheets at Motas, who didn’t seem to have any problem catching them.

         “So, this is your room?" I questioned Joshua.

         “Indeed it is.  I’ll divide up my room once you get used to things.”

         “But where would you sleep until then?"

         “The living room.” of course he would.

         After a ridiculously long session of Q&A with Joshua, I figured out a couple of things.  The building we were in is a castle floating on one massive cloud (I feel SO safe now!).  And what good is a castle without a prince?  That's right, Joshua is a prince.  I would never have guessed, since he dresses so casually. 

         Although it only took me a couple of days to “get used to things”, I didn’t think I would ever get used to the fact that my family is most likely worried sick about me.

© Copyright 2009 Liza McClyde (sugarhigh2009 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1586880-The-Son-of-a-Vampire-chapter-1