*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1586919-The-Strange-Man
Rated: E · Short Story · Other · #1586919
Who knows about people?
Molly spotted the strange old man across the park riding a seesaw with a little girl. He wore a rumpled gray suit-coat and brown pants that were far too short. Molly noticed his white socks, his unpolished black shoes, and immediately looked around for her son.

Ben was on the swings the other side of the playground. There was another little boy his same size swinging beside him.

Old Benny was strictly a swings and jungle-gym man, which Molly was suddenly thankful for. She would watch the old man. Most of the kids seemed very at ease with him, but...something was odd.

She saw Benny running across the sand with the same boy. Good, she thought, maybe Benny's found a friend.

Molly closed her eyes and enjoyed the sunshine on her face and the squeals of happy children on the playground.

“Mom!” Her eyes shot open to the strength of her excited son's voice. He was standing before her.

“What, Ben?” she asked almost rising to her feet.

“That man,” Ben said out of breath and pointing toward the seesaw, “That man--he said--”

Her throat tightened and she felt her pulse spiking. “What, Ben? What did he say?”

Suddenly THAT MAN was coming toward her. She instinctively grabbed for Ben's hand, pulling him closer. The man walked past them without making eye-contact.

Molly turned to watch him.

“You are not wanted here!” the old man yelled in a frail voice at someone off in the distance.

Molly noticed the man was clean-shaved and was somewhat surprised. She watched him thrust his index finger toward the distant figure

On the park fringe a solitary figure was flapping long, thin arms and began dancing in a circle like a chicken before making a hasty retreat.

After a moment, the old man turned back to the seesaw and the waiting children there who jumped in excitement upon his return.

“Benny, what did that man say to you?”

“He said I needed to ask you first, before I can talk to him.”

Molly said, “Yes, Ben, that man you can talk to.”

-349 words-
© Copyright 2009 Winchester Jones (ty.gregory at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1586919-The-Strange-Man