*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1587069-Small-Fry-Chapter-2-Updated
by onaya3
Rated: 18+ · Chapter · Supernatural · #1587069
Making Adjustments For B's New State Of Health...


For the rest of the day, I tried to keep a safe distance from my husband.

After brunch when Declan tried to help me clean up, I practically danced around him. I swung wide and did my best not to bump into his great build, which earned a peculiar look. Later in the day, when he was coming up the stairs whilst I was going down; I squeezed against the banister, so we wouldn’t accidentally touch.

Then in the afternoon, I was reading a book on the couch when he came to sit beside, and I immediately stood up.

“Um, I have to speak to my PA about something.” I said lamely, before I hastily left for upstairs.

“Aw, c’mon!” He rolled his eyes. “You can come up with a better excuse than that!”

However I ignored him, as I continued on my way to the bedroom.

Next, I overheard him mutter; “oh yeah, this together forever business is turning out just peachy.”

I stopped at the top of the stairs to turn around and say, “peachy? I'll give you peachy! I turn my mate into a Circulator, so we could spend all of existence together in the space time continuum; but he tries to kill the baby inside which he accidentally put there. So excuse me while I call my PA to discuss the time table for my next series of lectures; to earn money for my child whom I would love, whether it was a girl or not.”

Declan didn’t have a response to that, so I continued on my way.

Over the next hour, I laid on my bed conversing with my PA over the speaker on my mobile phone. I hardly ever used the video-phone feature, because I preferred for people not to see my appearance; especially when my latest academic personality was meant to be an older woman and I'd have to manipulate my physical appearance. However, as I organized my schedule with her, I had my laptop turned on.

Whilst we were planning my schedule, I'd say ‘yay' or 'nay,’ to the series of academic engagements she offered.

“You’ve been invited to a lunch at Cambridge University on 1st February next year." Aneet continued. "In attendance, will be several speakers on Ancient History in the Mediterranean.”

“Ancient History in the Mediterranean?” I echoed. “I don’t teach that topic.”

“It’s not a topic, it’s a field." She repeated. "With all of your papers on Rome, Greece, Egypt, Mesopotamia and Babylon; you do fall into that category.”

“Oh, I see your point.” My eyebrows arose. “But who else is going to be at this shindig?”

“Dr. Fielding, Dr. Golding, Dr. Jordan, Dr. Thewak and Dr. Humphries are just some of the many…” she prattled off, “…I think this is going to be some kind of symposium to honor past historians.”

This made me pause, "what kind of past historians?”

“I think they’re going to be honoring archeologists and professors such as Dr. Jasmine Aviv, Dr. Jason Garret, Dr. Bianca Sabre, Dr. Bianca Wisetail and Dr. Ash Marzuq.” She read out. “That’s what it says on the invitation, anyways.”

My face flushed when two of my past identities were read out.

“Um, can we please put the 1st February on the back burner?”

“Instead of clicking ‘accept’ or ‘decline’, would you like me to hit ‘tentative’?” She asked.

“Yep.” I agreed. “Now, what’s next?”

“Aside from your papers, there’s not much else. It's quite a few lunches in the next six months, but not many symposiums.” She speculated.

“I’m not really interested in lunches.” I sighed reluctantly. “All it is, is a bunch of academics who are normally bitchy to each other; hide the knives they’re normally trying to stab you in the back with, to be friendly to your face.”

“Would you like to decline the academic lunches and charity dinners and just stick to the lectures, Dr. Baker?” She offered, using my latest pseudonym.

“Yeah that'd be a good idea, Aneet.” I decided. “So how are we looking so far, one lecture per month?”

“Yes except for March, when you have two lectures." She reported. "You have the one at the University Technology Sydney and the other at Columbia.”

Suddenly Declan’s voice interrupted, which gave me a fright.

“March?”

My head turned sharply, to find my husband standing in the doorway, listening in. Then he came into the room to talk directly to my mobile phone.

“Sorry Aneet, in March Dr. Baker will be five months pregnant, which means she’ll tire easily. I don’t want her traveling around to do two lectures a month.” He ordered.

She sounded surprised to hear his voice. “Oh er, Mr. Baker?”

“No, it’s Mr. Sabre.” He corrected sharply.

“Yes Mr. Sabre.” She fumbled out. But he made her so nervous, she mispronounced his surname. Instead of saying Sar-bra it sounded like she said, Say-ber. “Er, did you just say that Dr. Baker would be pregnant? I mean um, is pregnant?”

I could hear the shock in my secretary’s voice, as clear as a bell. She had been my Personal Assistant for the past thirty years, and through two pseudonyms. Although Aneet worked for me, she would also act as my liaison with the multinational company called Hodge Endeavor, which was under Circulate control. This meant they would also hear of this. On my first day of being pregnant, the news of my 'happy condition' was being broadcasted.

The Circulate Mainframe, all the way at Circulate Headquarters on Taurus Six; monitored mine and humanities' timeline. It sent instructions via email and text messages, to myself or the Board of Hodge Endeavour. All I had to do, was turn up at the odd Board Meeting when an important decision was required. It ensured the company invested wisely and that I as the Last Circulator, retained control for financial security. The powerful company's political connections, were also ideal in protecting the Circulate's and the Lokoti's anonymity.

Declan continued, “from January onwards, I don’t want her doing more than one lecture a month. Then from June, she’s not going to do any for at least six months.”

“Excuse me?!” I exhorted in surprise.

“Maternity leave, B.” He glared my way.

Oh, maternity leave…now why didn’t I think of that? I had just been planning my schedule for months in advance and it had never crossed my mind! It made it worse when Declan was the one who was 'anti-pregnancy'.

“Um yeah, you’d better take note of that, Aneet.” I glared back.

“Would you like me to book you into seeing an obstetrician at the Hodge Endeavor Hospital in Anchorage?” She offered.

Aneet didn't know I was a Circulator or what that meant. However from her confidentiality training, she knew that her boss was 'different' and my medical requirements had to be kept from the public eye. But since I was also a Werewolf, I was hardly ever ill and if I were injured; the blood of my Werewolf kin could revive me. I also had the tribe's Medicine Man whom was another Werewolf to treat me, or even the Medical Lab at Circulate HQ, which was run by the Circulate Mainframe. The computer also oversaw to Hodge Endeavor's Hospitals and the Legal Department, providing my mate and I with falsified birth or death certificates, to hide our real ages.

Abruptly, Declan darted forwards to cover the speaker with his hand, so she couldn’t hear.

“No, we do this with Ki.” He frowned. “A human doctor isn’t going to know jack about how Werewolves do blood transfusions, which is going to be a guarantee when you have this.”

I snatched my phone out from underneath his hand to say, “thanks Aneet, but it won’t be necessary. We have our own medical staff.”

Declan wasn't put off by my rudeness or my glares. Instead, he sat on the side of the bed to look on my schedule. To stop him, I slammed shut my laptop.

“However I will notify the Board of this news.” She organized. “Would you like me to contact your English relatives, the Worthall’s?”

“Um,” I thought on this, “I don’t think it’s necessary. When Jarrod Worthall - the Engineer in ISF I told you about - calls next, I’ll let him know myself.”

“Very well.” She acquiesced. “Is there anything else I can help you with, Dr. Baker?”

“No thanks Aneet, I think that’s it.” I signed off.

My mate looked on, unimpressed at what he had been called. “Mr. Baker?”

“It’s my latest name in the academic circuit.” I shrugged it off.

He asked grumpily, “and how old are you for this latest trip around 'fantasyland'?”

“In my early forties.” I answered. “So getting knocked up, won’t look too unusual.”

He reopened my laptop to look on my schedule again, when I snapped it shut once more.

“Are you right there?” He said in annoyance. “I need to see how busy you’re gonna be in the next couple of months.”

“Why?”

“This isn’t a normal pregnancy B, this baby is going to drain you! Can you imagine what it's going to be like, when you venture off tribal lands?”

“What’s that supposed to mean?!” I fired up.

“A baby Werewolf will probably move around a lot more than a human baby. You could be standing there on a podium, doing one of your lectures when all of a sudden your stomach goes all wibbly-wobbly. Your audience is gonna think you’re giving birth to an alien!”

I growled in frustration at his continued negativity, before I rolled onto my back to stare up at the ceiling.

Declan continued studying my schedule, as if he were making mental notes. His newly youthful face was a mask of consternation, as his bright blue eyes were wide. I could almost see the cogs turning in his brain, as he was planning for the future.

“I don’t think you should speak at the University in Cairo.” He spoke again.

“Oh yeah and why is that?”

“Because it’s in January and it’s gonna be forty degrees Celsius in Egypt that time of year. I’m a European Werewolf, which means I’m hot blooded and you've seen how excessive heat makes me go nuts. With the half breed inside you, it’s gonna create problems.”

“Ever heard of air conditioning, Declan? They’ve had this nifty invention since the 20th Century.” I said sarcastically. “Besides, I’ve never had problems with heat and I doubt I’m gonna start now.”

“Oh yeah?” He raised his eyebrows. “Remember Wendy Wisetail’s first pregnancy, five years ago? She kept fainting all over the place! Pregnancy screws up your blood pressure, blood sugar and everything else.”

“Wendy's only human!” I scoffed.

“Yeah, but all she was carrying was a future Lokoti Werewolf who’s born human! You may be a Lokoti Werewolf, but you’re carrying a mini European Werewolf in there, who’s already a supernatural creature.”

“Would you please stop being so pessimistic about all of this!” I cried out, exasperated.

His eyes narrowed and he looked like he was going to say a biting remark, but he changed his mind. Instead his voice turned soft with a tortured expression overtaking his face.

“B, you want to have this baby so we’re having this baby, all I’m trying to do is prepare. You may be the pregnant one here, but out of the two of us; I'M the European Werewolf. So if I say it’s going to be too hot for our half breed daughter, give me the benefit of the doubt, would you?”

This made me pause as I realized he might be right, which made my defenses lower.

My husband used this momentary ‘white flag’ to lie beside his wife. He helped himself to lifting up my jumper, to look on my flat abdomen. Then he lightly ran his hand over the bare skin, which made me tingle as my eyes fluttered closed.

“Do you feel that?” He asked softly. “It’s my aura touching your aura. Every time I touch you and our auras meet, I get all tingly.”

“Same here.” I admitted.

I lay still, as I watched him stroke the skin around my belly button. He was even looking on in partial awe, which made me curious.

“You’re not gonna believe this,” he began, “but the aura around your abdomen is a different colour to the rest of your body.”

“Huh?” I raised my head. “What do you mean?”

“Your aura is an opal white, sparkling with different colours. But around your belly isn’t, instead it’s peach coloured.” He looked almost hypnotized.

Intrigued, I glanced from him to my body. All I could see was skin and clothes! I wished I could see auras like he could.

“Hang on,” I partially sat up, “I thought you said my aura turns peach coloured, when we have sex?”

“It does.” He gave a cheeky grin. “So knowing that your belly is permanently peach coloured, because of what I put inside you, is a hell of an ego trip.”

I returned this by picking up my pillow to whack him over the head!

“You little…!” I growled out.

He laughingly tossed the pillow aside, to move closer to my stomach.

At first I watched a little wary, as his mouth moved over my belly. Then my cheeks heated up, when he bent his head to lick around my belly button before sticking his tongue inside! He tenderly mauled my stomach with his mouth, as the hot wetness made me giddy.

Next, he talked to my abdomen. “OK baby, this is your father speaking. You’ll soon get to know me as the one who yells a lot, but he can still make your mother blush.”

"As well as growl and curse." I added on.

He flashed a mischievous smile my way, before he continued; "we have a lot riding on this. Hell, you’re even supposed to have siblings one day. Your responsibility as the oldest, is the safety of others. In a few years time I may ask you to look after your little sisters occasionally? But right now, if you could just look after your mother, I’ll be open to negotiation with your pocket money.”

Declan’s first ‘pep talk’ made me laugh, as my heart warmed at his words.

“I thought you said that right now our baby is ‘just cells’.” I taunted.

“Nup, not this kid.” He shook his head. “Not if she can already make her mother glow a happy colour.”

My hand ran through this spiky, blonde hair. “You know, sometimes her father can do the same thing.”

“Yeah?" His smile widened before slowly fading. "When he’s not scaring the future mother, right?”

“Lets just try to enjoy this pregnancy, Declan.” I said firmly. “Lets just go with the flow and see what happens. But since I don’t have a bad feeling about this, it isn't going to turn into a catastrophe.”

“I hope so B, I hope so.” He sighed unhappily.

Then his hands made a move at unbuttoning my jeans…

“Declan!” I stopped him. “What are you doing?”

He chuckled evilly, “I wanna make the rest of you turn peach coloured.”

“But -” I objected.

He sat up to take off his jumper as he joked; “what's wrong B, scared you’re gonna get even more pregnant?”

“I’m still pissed off about this morning!” I cried indignantly.

My mate casually kicked off his jeans, "of course you are. I’d be surprised if you weren’t.”

Within seconds, he had removed all his clothes and now he made a move to take off mine too.

“Stop it!” I grabbed the other pillow to whack him over the head. “What if something supernatural happens, like I end up carrying twins which you also try to stop?!”

“Are you referring to the case where that human woman delivered a Caucasian baby and an African American baby, at the same time?”

When this made me pause, the horny male used this chance to remove my jeans in one tug.

“Do you think that could really happen?” I wondered aloud. “Getting impregnated twice at the same time?”

“Well B, if you give birth to twins and one of them isn’t a Werewolf? Then I’d be worried.” He guffawed. “But as long as both of them are half breeds, then I won’t go out and kill something.”

By now, I was undressed and my mate snuggled into my side. I used this as my chance to cup his face, so I could look him in the eye. Our gazes met and held, as his hot hands ran over my body.

“You really scared me this morning, Declan.”

His expression also turned fearful, “you scared me too, B.”

“Me?” I scoffed. “How did I scare YOU?”

“Because you’re so obsessed with this baby business, you'd risk your own life and leave me in this existence alone; all for the sake of being pregnant.”

In surprise, I let go but he quickly caught my hands. He held them against his hot chest as his eyes watered. He tried to hold my gaze for as long as possible.

“Tell me I’m being an idiot.” He said soberly. “Tell me I’m imagining things. Tell me that my own wife who couldn’t bare to lose me, so she turned me into a Circulator like her; didn’t act like a lemming by diving over a cliff, all for the sake of having a baby.”

“Declan, I - I - I -"

“If you couldn’t bear to lose me to old age, what makes you think I could lose you to pregnancy? You changed me into a Circulator and if your life was at risk, I’d change you to being non-pregnant. That’s all there is to it.”

The European Werewolf's jaw was set in determination, as his body hardened.

“But Declan -”

He interrupted, “you said this pregnancy wouldn’t be a dangerous, so I believe you. You said you were carrying a daughter and I believe that too. You said that you and I will remain as the only Circulators, and that makes me ecstatic. So we’re having this baby and we’ll see what happens.”

With that, he pushed himself on top as he closed his eyes and moved slowly, as if he could have even been a little fearful.

What we were doing now, we’d done millions of times in our centuries of marriage, however it had never felt like this before… His perpetually hot skin heated up mine, as my body adjusted to his greater strength. He dug his sharpening nails into the mattress, as his human blue eyes flashed their glowing green colour.

However, our movements felt a little mechanical, like we weren’t really connecting because of this white elephant between us; the baby issue. But at the same time, I tingled all over, which must have been from the friction of our auras rubbing together.

Declan kept his eyes closed for most of the time. The couple of times they did open, I noticed they were glowing green as he gripped onto the mattress above my head. I felt a little helpless as I wondered if so did he? We were both slaves to our passion, or the bloodlust which came from being Werewolves. We both hungered for what the other could give, as we hungered for fresh kill.

Then I heard it, the dead giveaway to his inner turmoil. He cried out when he came and instead of sounding like a sign of pleasure? It sounded like a cry of pain. Normally his taught body would loosen with release, but he remained tense, almost like he was angry with himself. Then as he started to move again, he moved stiffly, as if he was even cursing himself for the urges which drove him onwards.

“Declan,” I stopped him, by cupping his reddening face, “I was only joking about the getting pregnant twice.”

He laughed but it was bitterly; “but it feels different, doesn’t it? Knowing our sex can produce something now.”

“It’s always produced something.”

“But not new life or babies or whatever.” He sighed before he continued. “I promised your father as well as your grandfather, that I’d always look after you; now this pregnancy has thrown a spanner in the works. You’d think I would have learned from my mistake, but like some kind of addict, I can’t give up the sensation of having you.”

“Declan, cut the ‘poor me’ crap!” I rolled my eyes.

I pushed him off, so I could sit up and crankily glare down at the male.

“Oomph!” He landed face first into the mattress.

“Stop being so negative about this!” I snapped. “I’ve told you this will be a safe pregnancy! I’ve told you that you’ve got your hearts desire, a female Werewolf who ISN’T a Circulator! Hell, you once told me that you wanted only daughters, so you could be the King of a Castle, full of women. You’ve got that so stop whinging!”

Then I grumpily rolled off the bed and proceeded to put on my robe, to leave the bedroom.

“Hey, where are you going?” He whined.

“To have my evening shower!” I shouted back, before I slammed the bathroom door behind.

*****

No matter how angry we were with each other, it didn’t interrupt our centuries old pattern of sleep. Last night in bed, we lay on our sides, facing in opposite directions. However in our unconscious state, we inevitably came together, with me curling up in his warm, strong embrace.

Thanks to his supernaturally hot, body temperature; we never used an electric blanket, nor was the central heating left on overnight. Winter evenings in Alaska could drop to minus fifty degrees Celsius, and last night the fall temperature plunged past zero. It made my nose ache from the cold, so subconsciously I dove my face into his hot chest, to warm up.

I was in such a comfortable sleep, tucked into my mate that when he suddenly sat upright, it startled me.

“Hmm?” I stirred. He sat still with his eyes wide, whilst staring at the end of the bed. “Declan, what is it?”

“We’re about to have company.” He said stiffly.

“Huh?” I sat upright. “Was that a call from the pack? Are we about to fight something?”

Dazedly, I looked at the clock in the dim light of the morning, to see it was 7.23 AM.

“No, Caesar’s coming over with Forrest, Tyson and Ki.” He reported, having received the message telepathically, from our First.

“Oh… hang on, what?” I had trouble processing, since I was still half asleep. “But why?”

“Why do you think?” He sneered. “You think they’re bringing us breakfast in bed? It’s about this baby business.”

“Oh.” I watched him climb out of bed and start to dress, by pulling on a pair of jeans and a long-sleeved t-shirt. “But why is Caesar coming over so early, about the baby?”

“Because he wanted to make sure he was the first to give us a Baby Shower present.” He said sarcastically. “Wake up, B! You’re carrying another European Werewolf inside of you. Why do you think Caesar is coming here as First of the pack, bringing your Riverclaw relations with him?”

“I don’t know!”

“He, Forrest and Tyson, have the same concerns as I did yesterday.” He said sourly, as he sat down to pull on a pair of socks and then shoes.

“But what’s it to them?” I asked in annoyance. “What, is the whole pack going to get involved with this pregnancy?!”

“I wouldn’t be surprised, I think everyone knows.”

“What?!” I squawked. “But isn’t that a breach of privacy?!”

Declan turned to give me an incredulous look; “what, are you going to sue our Medicine Man for misconduct?”

“How about I maul him instead?” I growled out.

“You maul someone? Now that IS funny.” He stood up and left the bedroom.

“Hey, what’s that supposed to mean?” I threw off the bedcovers, before storming around the bedroom to dress.

Once I’d finished, I stomped down the stairs. I found Declan in the kitchen making himself, his mate and three other cups of coffees for our expected guests. Crankily, I sat up on the kitchen bench, which made him move two of the cups aside, so I wouldn’t knock them over. I watched him pour the boiling water into the mugs which had instant espresso in them, before he applied the milk and sugar, as he recalled who drank theirs which way.

“What was THAT supposed to mean?” I glared, however his newly youthful face, remained impassive as he carried out his task. “Declan?”

“I’ve never seen you maul someone, B.” He said coolly. “The only time I’ve seen you attack something with teeth and claws, was an animal during a hunt. Whenever you fight a Vampire or other breed of Werewolf, you go into battle against? You reach for your silver sword.”

“You mean my Katana.” I corrected. “It’s a Japanese sword, remember?”

“Whatever.” He stirred all five cups, before tossing the teaspoon into the sink. He handed me my cup before picking up his. I held my mug in between my hands, savouring the warmth before I took my first sip. Declan continued, “this fact also worries me.”

“What, because you’ve never seen me maul an enemy?”

“Sometimes you’re more Circulator than you are Lokoti Werewolf. You don’t hunt as much as the male Lokoti Werewolves, and you don’t use your predatory instincts as much as they do either. You’d rather use your Circulator abilities instead. This worries me about your pregnancy, and I know it’s also worrying your Werewolf relations as well.”

I looked back in surprise, to find his eyes were waiting to hold my gaze.

I asked stiffly, “what’s this got to do with my pregnancy?”

He spoke plainly, “because we’re worried that you may not be Lokoti Werewolf enough, to carry a half European Werewolf inside you.”

But before I could rebuke him for saying something so stupid, we were interrupted by a loud KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK!

“Come in, Caesar.” He called out knowingly.

We heard the front door open and the footsteps of four large males, enter and then shut the door behind them.

A second later, the elderly face of Forrest came to the fore, as he stood in our kitchen entranceway.

He was followed by the middle-aged appearance of our First of the Lokoti Werewolf pack, Caesar. Then the two deceptively youthful faces of Tyson and Ki stood beside, who were really in their forties. Such was the slower aging process of the Lokoti Werewolves, whom could live for two hundred years.

All four sets of dark brown eyes, were trained my way and their expressions were somber.

“Aunt B,” our First greeted.

“Caesar,” I said perfunctory.

“I understand that yesterday you and Declan received some news which will affect your family.” He began.

“Yes.” I shot off a glare to Ki.

However he didn’t look remotely guilty, for sharing my condition with the rest of the pack.

“I would ask that you consent to another scan by Ki this morning, and perhaps an examination.” Caesar said seriously.

“Excuse me?”

“We need to take some readings of the cells that are growing inside you.” Ki stated.

“Say what?” My mouth fell open in surprise. “Why?”

“We need to ascertain how much the baby may resemble either you or Uncle Declan.” Our Medicine Man elaborated.

“But why?” I asked, taken aback.

“You know why, B.” My mate said softly.

My overprotective Lokoti Werewolf instinct roared inside me, which made me fire up.

“Is that some kind of slur on Declan?” I shouted. “Are you worried about more European Werewolves being created? I don’t care if I create an army of his breed, male or female! I love my husband and I’m sick of the hypocrisy - ”

Then I was interrupted by a loud growl, emitted from our First.

“Right now Aunt B THAT is the least of our worries! We have to make sure that your body is even able to carry just one European Werewolf child.”

“Oh please!” I rolled my eyes. “Declan’s already been through all of this! He tried to scare me yesterday, with a series of worst case scenarios and you know what I told him? That he’s barking up the wrong tree! This baby is also HALF Lokoti Werewolf!”

“But Lokoti Werewolves are born human, Aunt B.” Tyson said gravely. “This child will be born a Werewolf. You’re carrying a half European Werewolf inside you, a creature with teeth and claws.”

“Er, newsflash for you Tyson; DECLAN’S ALREADY BEEN THROUGH THIS!” I growled out between gritted teeth.

“Aunt B please,” Forrest said awkwardly, “we’re concerned for your safety.”

“Of course you are!” I sung sarcastically. “Just like you’d be concerned for Tyson here, if he were knocked up by a European Werewolf too!”

“Yeah, but I’m stronger than you, being a male Lokoti Werewolf.” Tyson tried not to laugh.

Caesar spoke in a low voice; “Bianca Grace Wisetail Sabre, when your grandfather Emanuel Riverclaw chose my great, great grandfather Chiron Riverclaw; to be First upon his leave to the space time continuum with his Circulator mate? He made Chiron swear to keep a close eye on you. When your Circulator mother took your Lokoti Werewolf father Hunter Wisetail, to the space time continuum with her? He made Chiron swear again, to look after his only child; the tribe’s first female Lokoti Werewolf who’s also the world’s last Circulator. Before Chiron left this life for the next, he passed the oath onto me.”

“Right that’s it!” I hopped off the bench, to stand on my own two feet.

“Oh oh,” Declan muttered as he watched warily.

I squared off my shoulders to say, “you’re First and I’m in your pack. If you say ‘tonight we hunt caribou’ then I hunt caribou. If you say, ‘tonight we fight Vampires’ then I’m right there with you. But I am your great, great, great, great, great grand aunt. Right now, having a little boy who’s almost two centuries my junior, stand in my kitchen and tell his elder how she can procreate? It’s pissing me off!”

“B!” My husband came forwards to pull me away. “Caesar is not just First of your pack, but he and Forrest are the heads of your Riverclaw family!”

“Oh right, even though I’m the longest living member of the Riverclaw family;
I’m not the head am I, because I’m just a female! Declan, you’re the longest living member of the Sabre’s, and your little brother’s progeny all look to you as the head of that family. But with me, nope! Now my daughter who will be half Lokoti and half European Werewolf, has to deal with this male chauvinism in the 24th Century?” I ranted.

“You are shown the respect of an Elder in your Riverclaw family,” Forrest said evenly. “But we are descended from Julian Riverclaw, who was born before his twin sister Jessica; who was your mother. Our family follows the old ways, of deferring to the first born as you well know, Aunt B.”

But his words hit a wall because I wasn’t listening, I was too angry.

“You can all drop dead!” I said vehemently. “Unless of course I do from this pregnancy, which is the reason you’re all using, to try to tell me what I can do with my own body! If I reach the space time continuum as a spirit instead of a Circulator, I can tell your forefathers how the pack…” then I tearfully glared at Declan, “…and my mate screwed up, for making me do this alone!”

Then I barged through the line up of males, to storm through the living area and upstairs to my bedroom.

BAM! – was the sound my door made, as I slammed it with all my might.

I dropped to my knees on the floor beside the bed, to reach under and pull out my suitcase. I tossed it open on top of the bed, when I attacked the tall boy next. I loudly opened the draws to pull out my clothes and had just thrown in my underwear, when the bedroom door opened.

However, it wasn’t just Declan who walked in, but so did Caesar and Ki.

“Oh look, it’s ‘The Three Amigos’.” I said in a surly manner, as I continued in my task.

“Oh look, as usual B is packing her bags.” My mate responded in a similar tone, before he spoke to our First and Medicine Man. “You see, at least once a decade B says she’s gonna leave. Now for human couples, once a decade where the wife threatens to leave the husband wouldn’t be seen as a major thing? But when you’ve been married for 273 years, it adds up.”

“She’s done this that many times?” Ki asked in consternation.

“Hmm,” Caesar frowned, “this is worse than I thought. Aunt B truly is more ‘Light Person’ than she is Lokoti Werewolf.”

“Don’t give me that crap about loyalty!” I turned on them, before seething Declan’s way. “I stood in the kitchen and told the leader of the pack to go to hell, for putting down my husband! And he STILL sides with the pack over his wife!”

“Loyalty…? LOYALTY?!” Declan roared as his face reddened in anger. “WHEN HAVE I EVER PACKED MY BAGS AND THREATENED TO LEAVE YOU, B?!”

Next, the European Werewolf picked up my suitcase and hurled it against the far wall, scattering my things all over the place!

“Er, maybe we should leave and let them sort this out…?” Ki looked on uncomfortably.

“We stay.” Caesar ordered, which he reluctantly obeyed.

“Fine!” I retorted. “I can buy new clothes!”

I started to walk over to my handbag, but Declan reached it first. He picked it up and threw it out of the bedroom doorway, with Caesar coolly moving his head to the side. He was acting like he was accustomed to my husband’s ferocious temper, whereas Ki looked nervous.

“Fine!” I repeated. “I can easily get replacement credit cards, from my PA at Hodge Endeavor!”

“SIT DOWN B!” My mate snarled, whilst grabbing the both of my arms and forcing me sit on the side of the bed.

I glowered back as my dark blue eyes burned turquoise, whilst he seethed back with his bright blue eyes, momentarily glowing green.

“OK, now we’re going to talk about this calmly.” Caesar began. “Aunt B, although you outwardly have the appearance of a woman in her twenties thanks to being a Circulator; I acknowledge you as the oldest living member of the Riverclaw family. I do not wish to offend you, nor do I want to downgrade your role over the many years. Our families have always turned to you for counsel.”

I crossed my arms and stubbornly looked away, as the three males stood over me like they were trying to impose their will.

“My father and I may share the titles of heads of the Riverclaw family? But you might recall the many times, we came to you for advice. Even the Council of Tribal Elders, have called on you for your unique insight as a Circulator. However, when you act more as a Circulator, it concerns us that you act less like a female Lokoti Werewolf. It’s for this reason, we are worried about what kind of strain this pregnancy will put your body under.” Caesar continued.

Suddenly Forrest chimed when he walked in; “I remember well, how much you and Uncle Declan were there for Maia and I, in the beginning of our marriage.” He smiled sadly as he remembered his late wife with fondness. “I remember how you helped Maia after her miscarriage. I’m still grateful to you for saying exactly the right things Maia needed to hear, such as ‘it’s not your fault, problems with fertility happens to everyone’.”

Tyson walked in after; “when Samuel was born and Tania went through postnatal depression, I remember how you took her out for coffee all those times. She would come back with renewed strength after talking to you, as she’d tell me, ‘Aunt B is nearly 300 years old and she still gets depressed from PMT every month. If she can carry on then so can I’.”

“B’s PMT must be my worst enemy.” My mate grumbled, as he sunk onto the bed beside. “It’s thanks to those mood swings that I’ve nearly come close to burning our luggage set; to stop this nonsense of her trying to run away all of the time.”

This made the other males in the room chuckle in sympathy, by thinking of their own war stories with battling the woman’s curse.

“Aunt B, we know of the little things you and Uncle Declan do, behind the scenes for your families.” Caesar continued. “So now it’s your family’s turn to help you through this pregnancy.”

I arched my eyebrows, “help me with it, or try to end it?”

This question made all of them look on puzzled, but it was Ki who cottoned on.

“Hang on,” the Medicine Man spoke up, “I think I can see why Aunt B is getting so worked up.”

“Then enlighten us, please!” Declan cried out, exasperated.

“Yesterday you frightened her, by trying to talk her out of having the baby.” Ki frowned at Declan, before looking to Caesar. “With our appearance this morning, she must have thought we were trying to do the same thing. It’s the Lokoti Werewolf in her, which is acting defensive. She thinks she has to protect her baby from all of us.”

“Well, do I?” I hugged my stomach, as if I were hugging my daughter.

“What?” Caesar blanched, as did all of the male Lokoti Werewolves.

Suddenly the room was full of guilty expressions, except for my husband.

“Aunt B, no! We certainly haven’t come here this morning, to try to force an abortion on you! We came here to scan you and the baby, and come up with a strategy on how to see you safely through this pregnancy.” Caesar promised.

“Oh really?” I looked on skeptically.

YOU AND YOUR CHILD ARE NOT IN ANY DANGER FROM US – Caesar thought my way – WE ARE ACTING TODAY TO ENSURE YOU REMAIN OUT OF DANGER.

“Seriously?” I asked, still suspicious.

“Aunt B, you’re going to need our help when it comes to the delivery.” Ki spoke frankly. “I’m willing to bet this won’t be as straight forward as a human delivery. Caesar will be putting the entire pack on standby for the day you give birth, incase you need the blood of your kin to heal.”

“Are you for real?” I blinked in disbelief.

“I’m going to scan you once a week and track your baby’s development.” Ki organized. “Your daughter will no doubt be bigger than a human child, but we’re unsure yet of her growth rate. That, and I have to make sure your body is able to carry the child to term, or if you’ll make it to the last trimester.”

Then my husband surprised everyone, when he stood up to say firmly; “if B needs blood, it’s going to be me that gives it to her.”

“But Uncle Declan, we don’t know how much blood Aunt B will need - ” Ki began but he was interrupted.

“B is MY mate and she’s carrying MY child. If she needs blood, then it’s gonna come from me.” He said determinedly.

Our Medicine Man opened his mouth to argue, but our First spoke instead.

“Uncle Declan is a European Werewolf and Aunt B is carrying a half European Werewolf. It might be best for both Aunt B and the baby, if Uncle Declan does this. Especially since European Werewolves are the faster healers, of all of the breeds.”

Forrest pointed out to Ki; “think of when Jenny delivered your three kids, and how you opened your wrist for her. You wanted to provide for your mate in that manner, let alone have another Werewolf do it?”

“Fine,” he looked away, disliking that his medical opinion was being disputed.

Just then the pack’s Second and one of the subjects of this conversation, put a stop to it.

“Look Caesar, I appreciate your help and I understand your position. But can we skip the examination of B and the baby this morning? Emotions are running high and besides, right now they’re just cells dividing. If Ki comes back next week to scan her, I’m sure he’ll get more accurate readings of what part of me or B, this kid is gonna have.”

To top it off, my husband’s hand started to stroke my hair in a protective manner. Caesar openly looked on Declan’s face, as I sensed a couple of sentences pass between them; however they blocked their words from me. But our First made his thoughts known, when he looked from our Medicine Man to his father and son.

“We’ll leave and Ki will come back to scan Aunt B, next week and the week after that and then every week from now on.” He declared.

All of the males in the room nodded in uniformity, except for the one female.

Then Caesar gave a parting smile, before he turned and left. Tyson and Ki were right on his heels with Forrest lingering for a moment. A kindly smile sat on our elderly great x4 grand nephew’s, worn face.

“Congratulations, Aunt B.” He briskly placed a kiss on my cheek. “Call on me or any of your Riverclaw family, should you need anything.”

Then he turned and left both the bedroom and the house, with the rest of my relatives.

Silence… our surprise early morning visitors had gone and we were alone again.

My husband’s hand was still stroking my hair, which I thought was a little hypocritical. I moved my head from his touch, before I stood up and walked away.

“OK, let’s finish the rest of our fight then.” He said tiredly, sitting back down on the bed.

“No, I’m tired of fighting.” I said emotionally, as I kept my back turned.

“You, tired of fighting? Now that’s a first.” He muttered.

“You know what, Declan?” I looked around to show my hurt. “I am seriously fed up with your negativity about this pregnancy. If I hear one more bad thing out of your mouth, I will instantaneously phase out of here so fast, you’ll have no hope in stopping me!”

“And we’re back to running away again.” He groaned. “You know what, B?”

“What, Declan?”

“I AM going to get rid of our luggage set!”

He stood up from the bed, knelt down on the floor and pulled out our second suitcase from underneath. Then he walked past, picked up the first case he had hurled across the room; and carried both out of the bedroom.

“What’s THAT going to prove?!” I exhorted. “I can just buy new clothes!”

“Then I’m hiding your handbag and your purse!” He called back, as he descended the stairs.

“And again, I can simply get replacement credit cards from my PA with Hodge Endeavor!”

“Then I’ll eat her so you can’t!” He shouted back from somewhere, in the lower part of the house.

“Then I can get replacements from someone else inside Hodge Endeavor!”

“And I’ll eat them too!”

“Or the Circulate Mainframe can generate replacements for me.”

“If it does, I’ll smash the frickin’ thing!”

“That’ll be interesting, since you can’t instantaneously phase yet.” I sung back. “How are you going to reach Taurus Six? It’s on the other side of the galaxy!”

Abruptly, a bright blur whizzed through the bedroom doorway and came to a stop before me.

I blinked in astonishment, as Declan glared my way. He had just run up here in the speed of light! He was showing off, with how well he was adjusting to his new status as a Circulator.

“If I can already do that, I can damn well guarantee that I’ll soon start to instantaneously phase here, there and everywhere. So tough luck, B! You really are stuck with me, because now I can follow you to any location you run to.” He growled out.

“I hate you.”

“Sure you do! But guess what, my little Light Person? You turned me into a Light Person too, so we’re together for eternity! We swore ‘always and forever’ and baby? Forever is now here!”

“Not if I don’t take you to the space time continuum with me!”

“Like I said B, I have the ability to follow you ANYWHERE!”

“Great! So you’re a supernatural stalker? I want a divorce!”

“I don’t care if we evolve to the space time continuum as ex-husband and ex-wife, but guess what Princess? You’re frickin’ stuck with me!”

“Like hell!”

“Are you furious with me yet, so we can have hot, angry sex?”

“We passed that point ages ago!”

“Then what the frickin’ hell are you waiting for, woman?!”

I leapt into his waiting arms, as my sharp teeth went straight for his throat!

Declan snarled back, as he began to rip the clothes from my body. I used my claws to shred his garments, whilst my teeth broke through his skin. I’m not sure who undressed who first, but soon two piles of ruined fabric, lay on the floor.

He started to stumble backwards, to land on his back on the bed. I left bite mark after bloodied bite mark, along his collar bone. He gave a hard thrust which could probably paralyze a human woman; as we proceeded to roll around on top of the mattress. We fought over who would be on top…

…until a clawing, growling couple; fell off the bed and landed loudly onto the wooden floorboards.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
© Copyright 2009 onaya3 (onaya3 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1587069-Small-Fry-Chapter-2-Updated