*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1587258-The-Business-Man
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1587258
A man, married for 15 years, in a bar where he meets a red-headed beauty.
The Business Man

         It was the first time that he had not gone home from work for months.  His suit jacket was neatly hanging on the back of his chair, but the rest of his crisp business suit was still hanging tightly over his body.  He laughed half-heartedly as his co-worker made a joke, he was only half listening; instead, his mind was on the tv screen above playing the highlights of that days baseball game. The beer that he had ordered was half-drunk and the cold perspiration had left a ring on the napkin. 

         “That was a good game, did you see it?” a high, birdlike voice asked.          

         He turned to his left to see a lean red head sitting in the bar stool next to him.  Her hair hung loosely down to her shoulders like a wall of fire which contrasted nicely with the pale sheen of her skin.

         “No,” he said, “I was working.”

         “That’s too bad, like I said, it was an awesome game.” She responded, smiling her white teeth contrasting to her bright red plump lips. 

         “I can see that” he said, shifting uncomfortably in his chair and pointing to the tv screen.

         It had been so long since he had sat in a bar talking to a beautiful girl.  The ring that he was wearing on his left ring finger had remained firmly in place for the last 15 years.  As he talked a little to the girl he unconsciously kept fiddling with his ring.  His marriage had its ups and downs, what marriage didn’t? 

         The red head laughed at something he said and grabbed a hold of his hand, her skin was soft and the sudden contact startled him a little.  The girl seemed to notice this and pulled her hand back to pick up her drink. She smiled as she sipped her drink, staring at him with her light brown eyes over the top of her glass.

         “So, Wilson, what are you doing tonight?” she asked casually, however the man still could sense a tone of seduction in her voice.

         The man looked at the girl, with her bright red hair.  He glanced down at her long, lean body.  Her little blue dress clung tightly on her body showing off her curves. Her tiny feet were strapped into stiletto shoes. 

         He just smiled at her and responded, “I’m going home.”

         He tipped up his beer and laid a few dollars on the table for the bartender.  Then he slipped his jacket on before going outside and flagging down one of the hundreds of yellow cars flying down the street outside the bar.  Finally, he got one to stop and told the man his address.  He closed his eyes and didn’t watch as the many lights of the city passed in his window.

         When he finally got to his apartment building he slipped the cab driver what he owed him and then made his way inside.  After walking up the two flights of stairs to his apartment he slipped the key out of his pocket and put it in the door. He tried to be quiet as he shut the door and locked it behind him.  He started a little when he saw movement at the kitchen table.  He turned to see his wife sitting at the table looking over some papers. 

         “You are home earlier than I thought.” She commented, looking up at him. 

         He didn’t respond at first.  The man walked over behind her, wrapped his arms around her shoulders, and kissed the top of her head. 

         “I just decided that I would rather be home with you.”

         The man walked away, leaving his wife with a little smile on her lips, and went to change out of his suit after a long hard day at work.

© Copyright 2009 Satiric Tone (satiric_tone at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1587258-The-Business-Man