*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1587505-Savioress
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Fantasy · #1587505
An unlikely hand saves Chad from his human hunters. (flash fiction)
Written for the Daily Flash Fiction Challenge with a word limit of 300.


The prompts: This story must contain the words: trophy, double, heart


Savioress

Five days of fleeing had taken Chad to near the end of the line. Hungry, wet and cold, he barely cared if they caught him or not. Death would bring peace. Death would bring freedom. Death would bring an end to this insanity.

She was the only thing that kept him going.

Chad woke with a start. He had been dreaming of her again. She had yelled, “Wake up! Run! They are near!” He was on his feet and sprinting through the forest in a blind rush. She came to him in his dreams. He didn’t know who she was but without her, he would be a trophy on some perverted millionaire hunter’s wall. When she said “Run”, he ran.

The dogs wailed loudly as they sensed the end of the hunt. They had his scent and it told them he was near. Chad watched from the creek as the dogs and men sprinted down the bank; following a clear trail he had left earlier. He knew they would double back as soon as they saw his ruse. He had to get moving before then.
Once out of the freezing water, he headed up the mountainside. They knew he was tired and wouldn’t expect him to climb. Up and up he went, the crest always seemed just out of reach. His lungs felt ready to burst as he gasped for breath.

Her hand reached over the ledge to him. Chad took it and marveled at how easily she lifted him up over the top. Standing next to her, out in the open, he felt safe. She was more beautiful than he recalled from his dreams. The elfin ears added to the grip she had on his heart.

She kissed Chad gently before taking his hand and saying, “Run!”

Word count 298
© Copyright 2009 Hyperiongate (hyperiongate at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1587505-Savioress