*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1587934-The-Price-to-Pay-Prolouge
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Teen · #1587934
A story about a place where there are worse things than death.
Seth clambered onto the edge of his window and gazed across the vast, black forest that unraveled before him. Finding his balance, he slowly rose until he was standing, and inched himself to the edge. The wind swept past his face, frigid against his sweat-drenched skin. Shaking, Seth reached under his shirt and took out a small, iron key hanging from a thin chain around his neck, and squeezed it tightly in his hand. After a moment, he replaced the key, and his breath slowed to an even pace. Then the air began to burn as if on fire, and he knew the moment was almost upon him. As if it was being torn open, the air gave way, and a boy wearing dark clothing appeared behind him. “I was wondering when you were going to show up.” The boy crossed the room and leaned against the wall beside the window. “I would have been here sooner if you wouldn’t have written me that fake letter telling me you’d changed your mind. Took me five whole minutes before I realized I knew you better than that.” Anger flashed in his friend’s eyes. “You’re not coming, Myre. That’s the end of it, ok? Just go back to bed.” Myre’s face darkened. “And leave you to rot in some ditch somewhere because you think you can do everything by yourself? I don’t think so. I’m coming Seth, get over it.” Then Seth did about the very last thing Myre was expecting him to do; he leaned forward and slipped off the ledge without a sound.

Time seemed to slow as he plummeted toward the distant earth. He only hoped he had enough of his soul left to do it, he had exhausted most of it on the letter. The same letter that was supposed to have convinced his best friend that he’d changed his mind about leaving. He had only wanted to protect him; maybe he should have just knocked him out instead of trying to use magic to deceive him. The ground grew uncomfortably close. Drawing upon the last of his strength, he stretched out his hand and stopped himself an inch above the ground. A sudden sense of emptiness dominated every part of him as his feet met the forest floor. It was as if color had drained from the world. The light left his eyes; he was nothing more or less than a body. Hollow and broken, Seth sank to the ground, without the intention of ever getting up.

© Copyright 2009 Brandon (somedaysoon at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1587934-The-Price-to-Pay-Prolouge