*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1588016-City-Girl-Gone-Country
by Karina
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Relationship · #1588016
A short story about a teenage city girl being forced to stay in the country with her mom.
I stepped out of the car and into my new life. I came from the big city of New York. That's right I'm a New Yorker! My father had to leave New York for a big company promotion. All of my family is dead so I got moved here to this middle of no where, shitty, small town to live with my mom for the summer. I was looking forward to parties on the top floor of the apartments my father lived in, not cleaning horse stables and smelling pig shit all day.



"Where would you like me to take your bags miss," the cab driver asked me. I think his name was Tom. He told me when I first got in the cab but I wasn't listening. Small, low life people like him don't matter to me.



"Sit them just inside the house there," I instructed, "the maid will take them up to my room."



"Yes Ma'am." The cab driver slowly unloaded my several pink matching travel totes out of the back of the car and sat them inside the house. The cab driver approached me and told me my fee for the ride. I reached into my designer purse and pulled out the $100 daddy had given me. The cab driver jumped back into his car and sped away.



"Holly!" Mom screech from the stables. She ran up to me and wrapped me in a hug. God! She stunk!



"Mom," I said pushing away to avoid having to smell her anymore. "The cab driver stuck my bags just inside the house for the maid to take up to my room."



"Maid! You silly girl! We don't have a maid here! They're to expensive. You'll just have to take your things up the stairs. Your room is to the right."



"What!! Me! Carry those heavy things! Do you see how fragile I am! I could never do that!"



"You'll just have to toughen up then. Oh! And I bought you a car. It's on the other side of the house there. I want you to drive into town and pick up something for dinner tonight. Thanks!" With that she ran back into the barn and left me standing there with a look of lostness on my face. At least I had a car! Oh! Maybe it was a volvo! Or a mustang!!! I ran as fast as my heels would allow to the other side of the house to see my new shiny car only to be disappointed.



Sitting there was an old, beat down, truck. The paint was chipping off and the back bumper had a dent in it. I wanted to cry! I couldn't be seen in this peice of junk!!! Everyone would make fun of me!! I climbed into the drivers seat and sobbed little tears. I wanted to go home. Before I left for town I looked in the mirror to make sure my mascara was still in place around my big baby blue eyes and my long blonde hair didn't have any fly aways. I looked perfect as always.



I stuck the key in the ignition and turned it. The sound it made was deafening. It roared to life and shook below me. I was pretty sure that the truck was going to fall to peices any second. I stuck my seat bealt on (Something I never did in the cuty) for good measure and put the truck into drive. The whole way into town the truck grumbled and moaned. I finally made it to the town grocery store and found a spot to part.



I reached in my purse and pulled out a few hundred dollars quessing at how much it was going to cost me. I got to the door and waited for it to open. Nothing happened. What was wrong with this door? I moved a little closer to it waiting for it to slide open. Was there something wrong with it? All doors in New York slide open when you stood in front of them. I stepped a little closer thinking maybe that was the problem. All of a sudden the door swung open towards me and I fell onto the ground, right on my back.



"Oh my god1 I'm so sorry I didn't see you there!," Big brown eyes were staring down at me. The man standing before me was an angel. His hair fell just right. His hair was as brown as milk chocolate. His eyes matched. "Here let me help you up." He stuck out his hand and i took it willingly, a little dazed. "Hey, I'm really dorry about that. I was in a rush. I should have looked before I opened the door. I'm really sorry."



"It's okay," I managed to say.



"Well hi. My name's Todd. Todd Teckles, and you are?"



"Holly. Holly Hemmingway." He shook my hand that was still clasping his.



"So your Sarah's girl. This town's been expecting you. Your moms been really excited that you were going to stay with her for the summer.She said you were a really good girl. You know, I help her alot during the summer. I kinda volunteer around the farm. It's hard for just one person to tend a farm that big by themselves. I hope all see you again soon Holly. I really have to go though. I'll see you later?"



"Um....Ya. See you around Todd."



"See ya." With that he walked away...
© Copyright 2009 Karina (karinadoll at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1588016-City-Girl-Gone-Country