*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1589163-Wigglers
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Dark · #1589163
A doctor pretends to be crazy... or does he? (Flash Fiction)
Written for the Daily Flash Fiction Challenge with a word limit of 300.


The prompts: This story must contain the line: "They won't leave me alone."


Wigglers

Dr. Stanley Jasperstein was escorted into the interview room by what he preferred to call his entourage. He took the familiar seat behind the familiar table and waited for the interview to begin.

Soon, the “usual suspects” came shuffling in with pen and pads in hand. It was time for the games to begin.

“Good afternoon Doctor. How are you feeling today?” It was the institution's Head Psychologist, the esteemed Dr. Huntington. He was wearing a bright red necktie; the kind Stanley hated most.

Stanley knew he did that on purpose. He knew it made Stanley uncomfortable and an uncomfortable Stanley made for good theater when others were in tow. Today, there seemed to be at least five Huntington acolytes hovering around, noting every move and utterance of their master.

Stanley would play along. As long as his psyche was unresolved, he would be allowed to stay in the clean white room with the clean white sheets. They never bothered him there. It was colors that attracted them. Colors like the red beacon hanging around Huntington’s neck.

“If you are wondering about the wigglers, then I guess nothing has changed. They won’t leave me alone. I am afraid to go to sleep. Like I told you before, they wait for me to let my guard down so they can get to my brain. They are brain-eaters you know.”

That ought to be good for another six-month stay, he thought.

The interview went on and the lies continued. It was easy to lie if the truth was behind it all. Stanley was well aware of the wigglers’ existence; they were real alright. He also knew their secret. They hated white.

Stanley tried not to stare as the wigglers worked their way up Huntington’s tie. They would dine well tonight.

Word count 298






© Copyright 2009 Hyperiongate (hyperiongate at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1589163-Wigglers