*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1589409-The-Life-of-an-Artist
by LTCM3
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1589409
Nathaniel nervously awaits the results of his first audition
The Life of an Artist



         As Nathaniel waited for his computer to power up he couldn’t help but compare himself to a child lying in bed on Christmas Eve, impatiently awaiting the arrival of Santa Claus and the morning filled with gifts. Nobody could blame him. After all, he had been toiling for the past 3 months, what with having headshots with his unique image taken, compiling a résumé, and even moving to New York City to meet with and acquire an agent!



         As the internet server loaded, Nathaniel began tapping his foot methodically, with such anxiety that it almost became a nervous tic. Through shallow breaths he recalled the audition procedure: arrive 30 minutes prior to the appointment, get a handle on the script, analyze the characters, sign in, enter the room, impress the casting directors, and get the hell out before you mess anything up. Upon leaving the building he felt so sure that he was the missing link the film needed, but now, as he awaited the E-mail to open, he began to doubt all of his hard work. Nate’s heart pounded as he read the E-mail. So much pressure was on him to pay the rent and to prove to himself he could make it.



         However the outcome was less than promising. With all the intensity he could muster he threw his chair back with a shout of distress. After he calmed down, he thought to himself, “What went wrong?” Diminished, he realized his hopes were too high. He was too optimistic, as it was almost ridiculous to think his first audition would send him to Hollywood.



         With somber acceptance and a new surge of determination, Nathaniel realized that this was the life of an artist – the only occupation in which more time is spent unemployed than otherwise.





297 words
© Copyright 2009 LTCM3 (nymfan1994 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1589409-The-Life-of-an-Artist